[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reminder that unfinished, broken, paid mods were a real thing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 8
File: steam mods.jpg (388 KB, 1175x983) Image search: [Google]
steam mods.jpg
388 KB, 1175x983
Reminder that unfinished, broken, paid mods were a real thing and Valvefags actually defended this
>>
Paid mods wasn't a bad idea.

Turning free mods into paid mods in an established modding community is where they fucked up.
>>
valve is not responsible for you failing to act responsibly with your money.
>>
People should get paid for their work.
>>
>wants to be taken seriously
>post contains not one but two instances of memetic syntax
>>
File: madnsad.jpg (22 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
madnsad.jpg
22 KB, 540x540
Do you really think it's over?
Don't be naive. They'll reintroduce paid mods as soon as they think enough people have forgotten about the first time they tried to fuck us.
>>
CAN'T WAKE UP
>>
File: Untitled.png (75 KB, 669x570) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
75 KB, 669x570
>>330432736
I'm honestly surprised they didn't do it with Fallout 4
>>
>>330432557
I bet you fags don't even play mods.
>>
>>330432632
>Paid mods wasn't a bad idea
yes it was you fucking moron. paid mods killed the sims modding scene. all the great mods disappeared and were replaced with the safe, cheap, mass produced skin mods. fuck you

>>330432736
i know it's not over

they will try again with tes6
>>
Do we have a blacklist of modders who jumped on it?
>>
Kek the only reason it got pulled was steam users getting mad

Only sonycucks like op were trying to push it since they're mad they got cucked with paid online

Didn't work out so well eh
>>
Modding is a hobby. If people want to make money off making 3D models or whatnot, they should make their own video game and get a job in that trade.
>>
File: 1455665494168.jpg (285 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1455665494168.jpg
285 KB, 1280x720
>>330432557
“Our belief is, ‘We made the game, we made the game you’re making a thing for.’ So just like anything else, there is some kind of involvement that we’re going to have in that.”
>>
I only just started playing PC Skyrim, can't imagine that bs homie
>>
>>330432632
Paid mods are bad when a lot of mods build upon each other which is especially true of Skyrim. So either you have to pay money to use a specific set of mods or the community gets fractured, which is fucking awful since modding is largely a community effort.

If anything the whole situation just showed how greedy some modders are. Should people get paid for their work? Sure I think so, but when you join a modding community there's a certain a etiquette and set of expectations. It would be like hiding some 4chan posts behind a paywall because posters believe they should be paid for their contributions. That's great if you think what you're writing deserves compensation, but do it somewhere else. Likewise, if you want to be compensated for modeling or scripting there's a whole lot of places outside of mod communities where you can do that.
>>
>>330433003
the two biggest ones were the midas guys and skyui

the skyui guy fell back in line pretty quickly. i always thought midas was shit compared to apocalypse anyway
>>
>>330432902
Fallout 4 won't use steam worshop. It will use a bethesda plataform and of course, there will be paid mods.
>>
>>330432902
> they didn't do it with Fallout 4
Ohohohohoho.
>>
Fuck you guys for ruining it. This was supposed to be a great addition to the gaming community. We will finally have a chance to get high quality mods.
>>
>>330433060

>capable of making 3d models
>can't code worth shit, can't even grasp the basics of coding

time to die
>>
>>330433202
>the skyui guy fell back in line pretty quickly.
He never did, and trolled everyone while doing it. And you forgot Chesko.
>>
>DRM is OK when valve does it
>paid mods and consoles are OK when valve does them
>early access is ok when hitman does it
>censorship is OK when Nintendo does it
/V/ is legit retarded
>>
>>330432902
That's because there is no creation kit released, yet. I'm sure they will try to pull some shit again.
>>
>Someone does something on his own time
>"I should get it for free!"
Breh
You don't have to buy it if the work he did was shitty, you know that, right?
>>
>>330433279
>high quality
>mods
XD
>>
Reminder: Once you're paying for it you should hold mod developers to a higher standard. That means demanding QA testing, copyright and intellectual property policing, as well as a glut of other things.

The moment a price is charged for a mod it is no longer a mod but an after market product. The creator is no longer a modder but a developer of an after market product. They should be held accountable for being developers and running a business.
>>
>>330433279
This.

I almost made 4$ with an old mod that wasnt mine. I just changed the color and the sound of the weapon.
>>
>>330433279
Naw man, don't you see? Putting spiderman and the Buster Sword into Skyrim and rearranging the HUD is so much better than expansion packs, new places to explore, and real dev studios making mods!
>>
>>330432649
>take popular mod not found on steam, that has been given away for free for years
>put it on steam without owners permission, sell it for two dollars
>this is somehow OK
>>
>>330433586
Pretty sure I didn't say theft was ok.
>>
>>330433586
If somebody tries to sell you a fake rolex, do you think that that means we should put a stop to all sales of watches by anyone?
>>
>>330433586
>He thinks that they can steal a mod and also ask money for it
If the person who made the mod finds it out, he can sue the living shit out of the service
>>
>>330433572
You just reminded me of that guy who asked how to make an easy mod to sell, and I told him to load one of the vanilla textures in Gimp, play a bit with the color levels and release it. I wonder if he did.
>>
>>330432649
Must this mean "nothing should ever be free"?
>>
>>330433329
what did he do exactly? pretty sure you can get 5.1 without paying anything now
>>
>>330433428
>Bethesda and Valve get a cut
t. Todd Newell
>>
>>330433663
And mods on other popular modding sites has the options for donations
>>330433657
Paying for mods is theft, especially when there is no quality control or assurances the mods will work.
Fuck, we went over this when the entire event happened. Why do people WANT to pay money for stuff that has generally been free for decades?
>>
>>330433435
exactly, which is why paid mods will lead to mass produced shit like skins and texture replacements. all complex projects will vanish. same thing happened to the sims
>>
>>330433740
You mean SkyUI? Yeah, he released it for free after the fiasco, but he was enjoying iot while it lasted. Remember his "there's no community".
>>
>>330433719
Technically he can't due to mods being classified as derivative works.

Unless it's a stand alone product the mod maker can't sue and it's on Bethesda to pursue legal action.
>>
File: 1430353185455.jpg (98 KB, 1038x723) Image search: [Google]
1430353185455.jpg
98 KB, 1038x723
>>330433003
>>
https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/645lVbv_0UEmMZrHKKCr_g/
We fucking get it.
>>
>>330433737
No
>>
Guys...

...there's people making money out of submissions through the Steam Workshop through TF2, Dota 2 and CS:GO that could easily be called skins and basically you are retarded
>>
>>330433737
Things should only be free if the person who did the work or owns it decided it should be free. Right now, all mods are free because there is no legal way to monetize it. It's not a choice, it's the law. Valve tried to make a loophole that would let the mod developers choose themselves if it was free or not, but then the entitled shits that demand everybody elses work be given to them for free cried SHUT IT DOWN
>>
>>330433812
> Why do people WANT to pay money for stuff that has generally been free for decades?

That's what the south was trying to say when them northern fellas told them to free the slaves
>>
>>330433836
oh yeah, it's all coming back to me. the biggest issue is that bethesda approached him first. the precedent that would set is disgusting

>bethesda releases another shitty ui for pc
>has a modder create a better ui
>bethesda makes money off that mod
>bethesda has incentive to do a shitty job because they make more money that way

honestly, betheshit is pure cancer on vidya
>>
>>330432557
no one was defending it
>>
>>330433572
>I almost made 4$ with an old mod that wasnt mine

you didnt, you get paid only when you reach 100$, so if you make 70$ out of your mod and then gets forgotten, valve and todd keep the money
>>
>>330434068
There are people in this very thread defending it.
>>
One of the big problems with paid mods, among other things, is that it discourages collaboration. If mods are open source and easy to distribute, then people are happy to work together, share their code, etc. But once money gets involved, suddenly people become greedy. They have to have their fair share, they have to get the credit, otherwise they feel cheated. Drama ensues. Things become a lot more complicated when there's profit to be made, or to be lost.

Also, a lot of mods often borrow from copyrighted materials, they operate in a legal grey area. Bringing money into the equation would fuck everything up and make copyright holders a lot more eager to protect their IPs.
>>
>>330434068
You clearly misremember. There was people eating both bethesdas and steam's shit 24/7 when this happened.
"It would mean better mods" one would say while the market was infested with slightly different skins and stolen mods from nexus.
>>
>>330434068
There were quite a few people defending it, and they still are in fact.
>>
File: mod posts.png (214 KB, 1400x800) Image search: [Google]
mod posts.png
214 KB, 1400x800
Why is Gabe's cock so delicious?
>>
>>330434068
>no one was defending it

there's people is this very thread defending it.
>>
>>330434105
I did it but just for bait/shitposting reasons. Same with piracy and denuvo, im a ps4fag after all, I know that these things trigger pcuks
>>
>>330434031
>comparing a hobby of changing game scripts and models to slavery.
Nice job there, Bethesda employee
>>
>>330434171
It's not like the better mods would just appear out of thin out the instant it became legal to sell mods. When selling mods became legal, that is when people would BEGIN creating worthwhile mods. Obviously stuff released immediately after the system was announced would be either rushed stuff or preexisting stuff.
>>
>>330434315
Your right, nigger labor is less skilled and valuable than programmer labor.
>>
>Paid mods means the modder gets paid for the work he's done
>His mods are his by legal action and no one can steal them
>This will give the incentive to do a better job which means better mods
>Bethshit won't sell as much games because now the whole "mods will fix the shit game" for free isn't on the table because the consumer would rather play a different game instead of buying the game and some more stuff to make game playable
>>
>>330434417
It might shock you to discover that the vast majority of people who play bethesda games do not mod them at all.

In fact, they even sell games on videogames consoles, on which modding is not possible!
>>
>>330434417
>>This will give the incentive to do a better job which means better mods

[citation needed]

This is not what happened at all. And don't just say
>muh free market

Because the free market led to microtransactions, people will make what leads to a quick buck, it's not a guarantee of quality.
>>
Anyone else remember how awful the poster child paid mod was?
>full body set
>ugly as sin
>needed a console command to find

>>330434414
Modding isn't programming though
>>
>>330434330
>When selling mods became legal, that is when people would BEGIN creating worthwhile mods
except the past shows us this is NOT the case you fucking monkey. there's a shit ton that would need to go into it. you need quality control, bug testing, constant updates, mod compatibility. people aren't going to pay money for amateur mods that are works in progress that could potentially break your game. that will present a whole host of issues and backlash
>>
>>330433361
I highly doubt one person said all of these things.
>>
>>330434417
It's funny that you make all of these baseless conjectures when history has proven the contrary. The sims has been mentioned numerous times. Look it up.

http://blog.bleedinghedge.com/gaming/paid-modding-a-history/

Mods are a hobbyist industry that benefits from free collaboration and distribution. Trying to force in systems that discourage collaboration and shared information is completely retarded.
>>
>>330434330
The problem with the system is that mods are usually collaborative efforts. Depending on what the mod does they'll also take from others. Using flight sims as an example it's lead to nothing other than skins, models and terrain packs.

It should remain a labour of love, rather than something to make money off of. It's for the best.
>>
>>330432636
I bet you supported cell phone companies changing unlimited coverage to "minutes" too, didn't you?

>it's never the company's fault for being greedy jews
>>
>>330434553
It's pretty much common sense
>The better work you do, the more money you get
>>
>>330434805
>common sense

aka shit that you pulled right out of your ass

We already have real-world examples to prove otherwise. When paid mods came out it was just a bunch of shitty cosmetics, and mods that used to be free becoming paid.
>>
>>330434805
modders aren't going to suddenly become more talented though, it would be the same amateur work only you'd have to pay for it
>>
>>330434651
>>330434714
That's a nice theory, but we'll never know what would have happened because the whole thing didn't last long enough for anybody to make a decent mod. They announced paid mods, then they canceled the whole thing almost immediately. Hypothetically, if paid mods would have motivated a highly skilled and dedicated independent dev to create mods, they would have stopped when it was made illegal again.
>>
>>330434805
except every instance of paid mods shows that it leads to pumping out cheap skins
>>
>>330434921
it's not a theory you stupid cock sucker. the same exact shit happened with the sims and even flight sims
>>
>>330434894
there literally was not enough time for anybody to make a good mod. How long do you think it takes to make a good mod? How long did people have between the time paid mods was announced and the time it was removed?
>>
>>330434921
It's not a theory anon, it's already happened to flight sims. Nothing changed other than previously free things becoming paid for.
>>
>>330434997

They only get paid once they release the mod you idiot.
>>
>>330432557
>can't buy $10000 horse vaginas anymore
guess I'll just have to spend that money on star citizen.
>>
>>330434997
There are other, older, games that released paid mods and the entire modding community for those games went to shit
>>
>>330435053
>Implying people wouldn't upload an unfinished mod to get the money rolling and finis it later, maybe.
>>
i would have been fine with paid mods if there was quality control and modders got a fair cut
>>
>>330434178
30% would be reasonable if it was split between Valve and Bethesda
>>
so paid mods is just dlc with no QA and lower quality?
they were selling single shitty skins for 4.99$

who thought it was a good idea?
dlcs, season passes, early access, kickstarter, free to play: every new model has just been exploited and gone to shit eventually
>>
>>330433180
This anon speaks the truth
>>
>>330434921
>>330434997

Except there were modders who were contacted months beforehand by Valve to make paid mods. They were supposed to be the shining beacon that would give the paid mod service a jumpstart. But nothing they made was worth a damn.

The thing is, most big mods out there take a really really long time and/or are collaborative. Neither of which lends itself well to a paid model. The system encourages modders to just churn out cheap and easy trash in order to make a quick return. It works in f2p multiplayer games like Dota 2/TF2/CSGO where there's only cosmetics and the base game is unchanged, but not for single-player games where the mods are potentially much more complex.
>>
If publishers/dev want to support modders, they should follow Firaxis' example and incorporate them into the development process itself.

Valve and Bethesda just wanted to make a quick buck off a potentially lucrative untapped revenue source, wanting to "support modders" was just a bullshit justification.
>>
>>330435570
>Valve and Bethesda just wanted to make a quick buck off a potentially lucrative untapped revenue source, wanting to "support modders" was just a bullshit justification.
Pretty much, there's a good reason why so many of those paid mods were armour skins made by CS:GO/DOTA store artists and not existing modders.
>>
>>330434921
>a highly skilled and dedicated independent dev
would be making a game, not mods for 25% of the revenue. people keep forgetting that part. and oh yeah, you have to sell at least $800 worth to get paid at all, since the checks would only go out after you accrued a credit of $200 or whatever that figure was

i'm sure some cucks would have signed up for this anyway but it wouldn't be long before even they figured out that there was no actual money for them to make in this
>>
>>330436264
It was $100 before getting any money from it, but your basically right. They still needed to sell $400 to even see income
>>
People who pirate games do not have the rights to criticize this concept.
>>
>>330432557
>Valvefags actually defended this
who? they removed it precisely becuase everybody hated it
>>
>needing to pirate mods will be a thing in our lifetime
>>
>>330433180
Fucking on point
>>
>>330436476
Pirate games? Nigga, I don't even play games.
>>
>>330436586
They removed it because they got such a volume of feedback their e-mail hosting was costing them lots of money.
>>
>>330436476
People who pirate any media do not have the rights to criticize game pirates
>>
>>330433952
>the entitled shits

Opinion discardred. Get free marketed BITCH.
>>
>>330436476
People who buy games do not have the rights to criticize this concept because they are hypocrites

People who do not buy games do not have the rights to criticize this concept because they don't support the medium

So basically, you do not have the rights to criticize any industry practices ever.
>>
>>330433263
They said again that mods would be free when they announced the DLC a few weeks back, so it'd be quite some shit if they went back on that.

>We’re also hard at work on the Creation Kit, which will allow you to create and play mods absolutely free. We’re currently testing both Survival Mode and the Creation Kit now, and more details will be forthcoming.

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game.../2016/02/16/77
>>
No, I didn't.
>>
Cool thread OP.

The reality was that Valvefags actually complained, not defended it, and Valve changed back. You know what else happened?

>Nintendofags complained about censorship and Nintendo did shit
>Sonyfags complained about having to pay for online and Sony did shit
>Kojimafags complained that MGSV is incomplete and Konami did shit
>Soulsfags complained about the durability bug and From did shit (until consoles got it too)
>>
>>330436586
Valvefags were defending their fat jesus, it was the TES fans who forced everyone involved to back down.
After all these were the folks who managed to, after the horse armor debacle, ensure Bethesda never tried cosmetic DLC ever again in the TES games, even when Skyrim sold as good as it did.
>>
>>330433231
Source that you alarmist faggot.
>>
>>330434201
Thanks for being the cancer killing /v/
>>
>>330437246
>PC fags complained about drm and valve did shit, now if it doesnt come with a steam key its not worth buying
>>
>>330437367
The point is that if paid mods were introduced on consoles you faggots wouldn't have done shit. Just look at what happened with DLC back in the Horse Armor days.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (77 KB, 560x330) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
77 KB, 560x330
>>330432557
>unfinished, broken, paid mods

Still are a thing.
>>
>>330433805
Bethesda gets a cut, because they own the game.
Valve could get a cut, but you can choose not to give it to them.
When you buy a mod there was a slider for Valve's cut, you could decide weather to give it to Valve, or Bethesda, or the mod author, or the Nexus website.

I really wish people who didnt even bother using the system would stop trying to explain it.
>>
>>330437529
except if the mod didn't sell enough valve would take 100% of the cut while providing almost zero service
>>
Nobody significant defended this, paid mods caused a huge backlash that they shut it down.
>>
>>330433952
The idea that someone wants more fees attached to gaming leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
>>
>>330433180
>That's great if you think what you're writing deserves compensation, but do it somewhere else.

If you don't want to pay to see someone's post but don't want to pay for their effort, shouldn't you go somewhere else? I'm playing devils advocate obviously but I don't think that logic holds up in the case of the mod community. This is the perfect venue for people to be payed for their work, why does it matter if the community was previously working for free? Of course nobody was expecting to be paid when there wasn't a system in place for them to get paid for their work.
>>
>>330437417
unfinished games, patches, dlcs, season pass, free to play, paid cosmetics, early access, shitty kickstarters, etc. all come from the pc environment.

I'm a pc user, I complain about owning a subscription license and not a game, not being able to sell/lend/borrow games i paid for and having 2-3 intrusive drms on top of a game.

Dont pretend PC market is without faults.
>>
>>330437575
Valve wouldnt take the money, it would be kept at a third party. Basically this was done to ensure that you dont make a transaction that costs Valve $0.20 in fees to withdraw $0.15 in profits.

A similar thing plagued Humble Bundle early, where people would choose to pay a sum so low, that HB would lose money accepting it and forwarding it to game publishers.
>>
http://imgur.com/gallery/bqcla
MUST READ
POST THIS IN EVERY PAID MODS THREAD
>>
File: 1455245305720.gif (16 KB, 227x224) Image search: [Google]
1455245305720.gif
16 KB, 227x224
>>330432632
>Paid mods wasn't a bad idea.
Valve literally wouldn't exist today if the mods they had adopted hadn't exploded in popularity by being freely available.
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.