[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
File: SaintsRowIV.jpg (28 KB, 250x343) Image search: [Google]
SaintsRowIV.jpg
28 KB, 250x343
I have never properly played a saints row game, I played 3 a little bit when it was free on games with gold but the graphics were just horrible.

Im not looking for a well written story, just some lulz
What is the hive opinions on this game

Pic related
>>
It's the best game of 2013
>>
>>330418336
I doubt its better than gtav
>>
>>330416107
dogshit
3 was the best
>>
>>330418406
It's definitely better than 2013's GTA V.
>>
>>330418406
It is.
>>
>>330416107
Grab a buddy and play some of the games. Just silly coop fun.
>>
It's fun.
>>
File: 9480_2015-03-04_00002.png (825 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
9480_2015-03-04_00002.png
825 KB, 1024x768
>>330416107
play 1 and 2 and pretend the series ended there. yes, they have some control issues, but the rest of the game more than makes up for it.
>>330418336
this faggot has terrible taste.
>>
Best open world super hero game out there. They really nailed the movement options.
>>
>>330419197
>have some control issues,
I will be playing with a 360 controller anyay, im downloading it now.
Just hopefully its fun, blow shit up, turn into a super hero. Comedy too.
I have got 3 as well, but I thought I will go for this as I tried 3 before

Despite what anons above say I now its not on gta level.
Just want some lighthearted lulz
>>
>>330419918
>Just hopefully its fun, blow shit up, turn into a super hero. Comedy too.
you're going against that anon's advice and not playing SR1 or 2, good job genius
>>
File: 9480_2015-03-06_00004.png (865 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
9480_2015-03-06_00004.png
865 KB, 1024x768
>>330419918
it really has nothing to do with controller versus KB+M, there are just some bad control issues with the earlier games. also, 1 and 2 are better GTA type games than the GTA series itself. 3 and 4 are the one's guilty of forgeting what made the earlier games so great and focusing on a small aspect and blowing it out of proportion, which throws the whole balance of the games off. but retards don't care, and eat it up, as this thread proves.
>>
>>330420041
>playing SR1 or 2,
I havent got Sr 1 or 2, and they are probably a bit too old for me, im not interested in the story, or realism, ive just played 2 serious linear games back to back I just want a lighthearted sandbox
>>
>>330420490
yeah you're definitely underage
>>
File: 2016-02-11_00005.jpg (86 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-11_00005.jpg
86 KB, 1360x768
>>
2 had a fantastic story, best in the series, but people really look at the gameplay with the nostalgia goggles welded on. It's absolutely mind numbing and repetitive to the point of insanity and they really really fucking loved their overly long on rails sections.
>>
File: 2016-02-12_00007.jpg (130 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-12_00007.jpg
130 KB, 1360x768
>>330420719
>>
>>330418336
It's my GOTY 2013
2nd place that year goes to MGR and it's very close to this
>>
>>330420592
No I am not hence why I haven't played saints row before.
I know of the game that 1 and 2 tried to clone amd capitalize on gtasa, then 3 went more whacky to branch away from being a clone.

As I said I just want to play a lighthearted game
>>
>>330420780
>>330420719
Dr. Pavel, I'm the president
>>
>mfw getting super powers for the first time
>>
>>330420803
I was dissapointed by MGR but im not a hack and slash fan anymore.
The cut at will became useless when you get more points for bashing buttons instead.

Gta5 was my goty for 2013
Despite what /v might say about it, it is a good game
>>
>>330420826
the term "gta clone" is fucking retarded and makes no sense
it's like calling all other FPS games doom clones
>>
File: 1332917058128.jpg (41 KB, 933x696) Image search: [Google]
1332917058128.jpg
41 KB, 933x696
>>330420826
>No I am not hence why I haven't played saints row before.
>>
Perpetually nighttime
>>
>>330421015
The term gta clone comes from after gta3 got released where it created a new era in gaming, making sandboxes a common place thing in games and spawning many clones of gta playstyle
Saints row and true crime being the most prominent.
Its a relative well acceped term in the gaming industry as a period in history of games
>>
>>330420956
>play for about an hour during a free weekend
>don't even get to super powers
>decide it's shit and forget about it
>decide to buy it during a recent sale for co-op
>get to super powers
>suddenly become Sonic

Goddamn did I feel stupid.
>>
>>330421014
I loved MGR mostly because of the story and soundtrack
Armstrong is possibly of the greatest boss fights of the 7th and definitely my favorite from 2013
GTA V had the same problems that basically every rockstar game has, it's way too big, on-foot controls are clunky and unresponsive, and tons of boring missions
It's by no means a bad game, it's actually great but by no means as good as the gaming world at large thinks it is
>>
>>330421168
just because they share certain gameplay elements, doesn't make them clones
>>
>>330420041
>>330420309
Let him be, it's obvious he's made his decision.
>>330420826
What they're trying to say is that Saints Row 2 contained a lot of interesting features and content that would be heavily ignored and forgotten in 3 and onwards. Saints Row 1, and especially 2, are very goofy so don't think that they're straight up serious games just because 3 let's you have a dildo weapon. 2 is extremely silly but has very dark overtones since the main character, that's you, is a complete fucking maniac. If you're not into the story I can see why you wouldn't care but don't pass it off as if it's GTA 4 levels of "ugh, my games are super duper serious and have meaning", it's just that the characters getting really interesting in 2, especially the post content missions and the dlc single player mission, but it's worthless since well never get a TRUE sequel to Saints Row 2s story since 3 was essentially a soft reboot. 4 is very different from the previous titles and not a bad game by any means so have fun with that.
>>330421168
Why bother using the term? They're clearly " sandbox games", it makes it impossible for any game that features stealing cars in a crime based open world with cops impossible to make with "GTA clone" the first thing that is to label it. Of course it's an obvious comparison since GTA pioneered the concept and help evlove it, but fuck even the supposed "clones" are getting better than the GTA games at this point.
>>
>>330416107
I never played this game, nor do I know anything about the previous ones, but I saw a 100% co-op playthrough of it. So all I can give you is just an unbiased opinon from what I saw.

So from that I can tell you that this game is hours of goofy mindless fun. If you ever asked me what I thought would be a perfect representation of what games are about, I'd point to this game. All the dumb shit that you can do with the super powers and stuff that goes on plot wise is hilarious and you're pretty much guaranteed to be entertained the entire time you're playing.

For maximum fun you should probably get a buddy to join you too. I'd buy it and play it myself but I have a shit laptop, so that ain't happening for a while.

Also, this game feels like what GTA should've been a long time ago.
>>
>>330421428
It does when they're directly aping on GTA's popularity.

>>330421476
While GTA clone is occasionally misused, it's the best way to describe games like Saints Row 1/2.
>>
>>330421476
Yea im just gonna play the game to mess around in, say gta vc onwards are story drives, especially 4 and 5 but I dont want to play saints row for that, just blow shit up and mess around.
I will probably never play 1 or 2 as if I had intended too I would have already.

The term gta clone as I said before is a well known term for a subgenre of games that blatantly tried to copy gta, and capitalize on its popularity
An anon said should we no call every fps game a doom clone (doom want the first fps game anyway nor gta the firat sandbox game) but as anyone knows quake and doom are very different, where shadow warrior and duke nukem are similar of eachother.
There is a difference between being inspired by and copying. Saints row and true crime copied gta.
Gta clone is the correct term, well at that time it was.

>>330421352
I didn't like the mgr soundtrack not my type of music, or game though it does get you hyped up in the battle.
Its an ok game, I still got it and will keep it because im an mgs fan.
Definitely not best game of 2013 for me
>>
>>330421580
>All the dumb shit that you can do with the super powers and stuff that goes on plot wise is hilarious and you're pretty much guaranteed to be entertained the entire time you're playing.
This is what im looking for anon

Gonna play it solo though coop can ruin games unless you both play it first tome together
>>
What platform are you getting it for OP?
>>
>>330421985
MGR was just so insane
>Armstrong picks up Raden and throws him in the air like a ball
>kicks him when he falls down
>crowd cheers
It was perfect
>>
>>330422130
Ive got it already on steam, just download it.
I bought it last spring sale
>>
File: stopped_reading.png (77 KB, 250x272) Image search: [Google]
stopped_reading.png
77 KB, 250x272
>>330416107
>just some lulz
>>
>>330422217
You want to do some co-op with a random anon from /v/?
>>
>>330420490
like seriously, dont put anything above playing SR2, I liked SR4 but its certainly very rehashed from 3.

SR2 is just the most varied and entertaining of the series on top of then having the best story.

SR1 is more forthe story as its the only one that can feel more basic and dated (although the gunplay feels great, just basic)
>>
Every saints row game after gat out of hell will be a simple reskin of sr4
>>
>>330422281
No thanks anon, I always play Co op enabled games singleplayer first so I can move at my own pace
>>
>>330421985
>I will probably never play 1 or 2 as if I had intended too I would have already.
Personally I'd say that you're missing out, especially since customization options and character building in that game is very good, but it's your call.
As for the GTA clone remark I still feel as it is harsh and not very representative of the game at all. If the game tries to mark off the success of GTA, then every platformer should be called a Mario clone. You can't have extremely specific reasons for using a term as silly as that. It's equivalent to a child calling something a copycat. There are things that place Saints Row in a different realm than GTA. They have the basic run and gun, steal and drive, and occasionally wackyness, however Saints Rows plays off the wackyness a hell of a lot more and focuses on that along side making you your own character, creating yourself the way you want while building an empire and crushing those who get in the way while doing it in a badass way. Every GTA amounts to following the American dream and part taking in a narrative heavy game with side objectives that are occasionally goofy, but not always.
If you want to label SR1 as a GTA clone, I'd say you're wrong but I see where you're coming from. SR2 is a whole other game amigo, nothing like your average GTA what so ever.
>>
>>330416107
I honestly liked it more than any other game that came out that year, and it's been the only game in the past 2 years I've actually completed beginning to end more than once

The game is a blast on its own, but it becomes a downright SIN if you get a friend to play with you. You can basically co op the entire game, and it's actually pretty well designed.

Sure the superpowers make driving pointless, sure the graphics aren't that great, but jesus this game knows how to show you a good time.

"WATCH OUT! ITS PAUL!"

my sides
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.