[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>first-person games with intricately-designed environments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1457630116099.jpg (110 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1457630116099.jpg
110 KB, 1920x1080
>first-person games with intricately-designed environments to explore
- Some anon

Hey, gimme some games that fit that description. I like open world games, but sometimes them being open leads to them feeling empty.
Also, should I get Alien: Isolation for this reason?
The only other game I can recommend is Legend of Grimrock I guess.
>>
Anything from Looking Glass Studios. Thief, Ultima Underworld and System Shock are the big ones.

Arx Fatalis, Deus Ex, SWAT4, The Dark Mod, VTMB. Dishonored had pretty great level design too though they had to compromise on the size of the levels thanks to consoles.
>>
>>330365590
Swat 4 has exploration? I've wanted to play that for some time, or any good police/raid video game.
I tested Thief on xbone when it was free, but it never really sticked. Looked good though.
>>
>>330365856
The original Thief, not the garbage modern game.
>>
>>330365856
SWAT4 isn't focused on exploration but it has fairly large, intricate levels with lots of ancillary detail and environmental storytelling. Its level design is defintiely fantastic. And yeah, the other guy was right, the original Thief 1 and 2 and 3, not the reboot, that was horrible and the level design is among the worst I've ever seen.
>>
>>330365291
Whatever this anon said>>330365590
You have a good mix of fantasy and sci-fi there.
But I would recommend starting with Thief 1 Gold.
>>
>>330365986
Oh, that's a relief, I didn't like the modern version too much either. Not really interested in older games, unless they really are 10/10, and only some cases. Looking for beautiful games too.

I liked Firewatch. Yeah that's right, I said it.
>>
>>330366370
If you're looking for fantastic level design in a pretty, big budget, first person, modern game, your only option is Arkane studios. No one else has level design even half as good.

I suppose if all you want is walking simulators there are probably a couple okay ones out there but to me, exploration loses its flair when there's nothing to find that ties back into the game's mechanics. I guess Gone Home has okay level design but the father is the only likeable character and there's really nothing interesting to find or do in the house unless you really have a lot of nostalgia for the early 90's.

Shadow Warrior and Serious Sam 3 are decent-ish but their level design is just kind okay, nothing all that special really. Talos Principle is really good but its a puzzle game. Vanishing of Ethan Carter is alright but its ending is complete dogshit. Wolfenstein The New Order was okay. Really if you're only willing to play modern shit then your options are extremely limited.
>>
Thanks for so many options so quickly, I'm sure I'll find something I'll enjoy. Is Isolation worth 8€?

>>330366974
As usual, whenever I find the urge to play something, there's never really any one game able to satisfy my every need. Wish I was an independent game developer. Works when I'm playing tabletop though.
>>
>>330365291
>Also, should I get Alien: Isolation for this reason?

Yes, the game is pretty great. But it does drag on and get kind of exhausting to play towards the end. But there isn't a single area in the game that doesn't look and sound incredible
>>
File: 1457078476682.jpg (15 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1457078476682.jpg
15 KB, 500x375
>>330365291
Alien: Isolation is a top tier game in my opiniom, OP. They stayed true to the design and aesthetic of the original film, and the actual game mechanics are very funny. Unfortunately the terror of death subsides after dying the first time, but the game is still fun nonetheless.
>>
>>330365291
Dying Light is excellent in this regard
You can enter almost all the buildings and the cities are huge.
>>
>>330365856
Get Swat 4 immediately that shit is fun as fuck
>>
SOMA was good looking.
>>
>>330365291
STALKER?
>>
Zeno Clash has some pretty amazing environments.
>>
File: 2015-02-20_00002.jpg (359 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
2015-02-20_00002.jpg
359 KB, 1680x1050
>>330368804
With the right mods that game can be pretty awesome and comfy.
>>
>>330367967
>You can enter almost all the buildings
This is not true.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.