[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you buy a console where every game, instead of being a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: 80301_big[1].jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
80301_big[1].jpg
12 KB, 300x300
Would you buy a console where every game, instead of being a cd or a steam like thing, was a hard drive cartridge?
>>
>>330351636
welcome to the 80's/90's
>>
>>330351636
Regionfree, storage space, SD/USB/external hard drive compatibility, multimedia apps and a good selection of games are more important to me but sure why not?
>>
>>330351636

Yes. Anything to make developers fully debug\playtest before shipping.
>>
>>330351636
>what is an arcade machine made after 2000
>>
>>330351636
better than discs thats for sure though you would hate it the moment an update gets installed on it and bricks the fucker
>>
no. right now running digital games off a SSD is by far the best and most convenient way to run games
>>
>>330351636
Did that for years kiddo.
>>
>getting hard drive with game on it
>still day one 5GB patch
>>
>>330352153
I doubt they did that. It just meant that they won't be able to fix it later on.
>>
I think the best solution would be to have the games come on cartridges again, with the option of running digital off of an SSD.
>>
>>330352378
Well, they would, but it couldn't be something like "the game doesn't fucking work". It'd be something like "this one arbitrary spot at the end of the game, the player can lose their sword, save and quit, and totally fuck up how the game handles items."
>>
>>330352254
>digital games off of an ssd.

Have fun with your completely non-existent speed boost for load times, dumbo.
>>
>>330352556
putting games on something besides a disc is less cost effective. there's a reason discs are industry standard. they're cheap as fuck to make. if companies started putting games on something like flash drives or anything similar, the price for a game would skyrocket, especially for an SSD like you mentioned.
>>
>what is every pc-based arcade machine
>>
>>330352153
>es. Anything to make developers fully debug\playtest before shipping.

I am not talking about that retro vgs thing.
This is not about "retro googles", but about having a entire extreme of GB just for a game
>>
>>330352919
>>what is every pc-based arcade machine
We are talking about consoles, not handhelds or arcade machines
>>
>>330352818
I've done a direct comparison between the same game on a HDD vs copied to an SSD. So have a million different websites and youtube channels that you can freely search up on google. It is faster.
>>
>>330352254
>no. right now running digital games off a SSD is by far the best and most convenient way to run games
When I said HD I was not talking specifically about HD, SSD are allowed on the question too
>>
>>330351636
Fuck yea

There's something about a cartridge that feels real and safe. You don't need a case or worry about scratching. There durable and won't scratch or shatter. There cheaper then discs and can store a lot more data on them.
>>
>>330353306
>There's something about a cartridge that feels real and safe.
"is retro googles cool or not?"
is not the point of the question.

The entire point is ultra mega super extreme storage space
>>
>>330352860
Yes, cost is the biggest barrier. It works for handhelds because they tend to have a large install base, smaller sized games, and need the durability because they are targeted at children.

With the rise of digital, though, I wonder if there is room in the market for a more premium retail product like a cartridge.
>>
>>330352860
They wouldn't actually. SSD cards are cheaper in bulk then are CDs. Plus we're getting near the end of CDs storing data on them. That's why some games require multiple discs due to too much data to store on one disc. Also cartridges would prevent pirating so I can see companies like Nintendo doing it to prevent the loss of millions of dollars from pirating.
>>
File: 1457592931337.jpg (62 KB, 400x531) Image search: [Google]
1457592931337.jpg
62 KB, 400x531
>>330351636
In a heartbeat.
>>
>>330353415
True but I'm just saying discs are fragile. Cartridges can be stored and maintained better.
>>
I don't understand this physical vs download argument. They're the same thing.

CD drives are essentially HDDs that let you swap out the disks inside. Having your games on a HDD is no different than if you put all your games on one CD and kept it in the CD drive at all times.

The only benefits physical copies get you are
>You don't have to buy your own storage device to hold them
>they sometimes come with cool extras like art books or posters
But this isn't the argument people use the most. The argument I always see is "you don't OWN your digital games" which is a dumb thing to say, because the data on CDs and cartridges like the DS and PSP use is all digital but you don't actually own your games either way. You only own a license to play them.
>>
>>330351636
That would be a cool format for fuckhuge immersive VR games. I'm talking SAO, full on mindjack shit here. Would be very cyberpunk.
>>
>>330353725
cartridges don't actually prevent pirating, though, do they? you can rip the contents off of a DS cart through cart readers, right?
>>
>>330353859
You are not qualified if you associate physical format to Disks immediately.
>>
File: facepalm-bert.jpg (26 KB, 526x361) Image search: [Google]
facepalm-bert.jpg
26 KB, 526x361
>>330353306
>There cheaper then discs
Anon...
>>
non dev here asking this question

Would freedom of size allow to games?*
Would they become way better

*not talking about storyline linear movie like games
>>
>>330353294
Wouldn't that be a cart then?
>>
File: videogame piracy.jpg (149 KB, 1300x857) Image search: [Google]
videogame piracy.jpg
149 KB, 1300x857
Don't mind me, just pirating this game.
We've gone full circle
>>
ITT: /v/ doesn't remember how much cart based games cost back in the day because either their parents bought all their games for them or their first system was a gamecube.
>>
Why don't we just sell games on usb drives?
>>
>>330352818
I prefer analog games myself
>>
>>330355172
This is not pirating.

Piracy would be if someone built a machine that can clone HD without damaging the original HD and then started to clone HD to give to his friends or anyone that asked.

If you create a cloning machine, piracy of softwave released only on physical format is the smallest of the problems or
>>
>>330355615
smaller size it can handle
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.