[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sumo Digital announced as Dead Island 2's new developer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
Didn't see a thread about this

>UK studio Sumo Digital has been handed the task of developing Deep Silver's Dead Island 2, MCV can reveal.

>The horror shooter was first announced at E3 2014 during PlayStation’s press conference, and was being developed by Spec Ops: The Line creators Yager.

>However, publisher Deep Silver terminated its relationship with the studio in July 2015 because it ‘wanted to make no compromises’ with the franchise. Yager has since filed for insolvency.

>“Sumo showed so much understanding of the brand, had creative ideas and an excellent, vision that was aligned with our own,” Koch Media CEO Dr Klemens Kundratitz told MCV.

>“It just made perfect sense for us to move the project to them. We will reveal more details at a later stage, but for now I’d like to say that we are obviously super excited about the progress that we are making with them.”

>Sumo Digital has previously handled triple-A IP including Disney Infinity, LittleBigPlanet and Forza. The studio is also working on Microsoft’s new Crackdown game.

>“It’s an honour to be charged with the evolution of such an important franchise in Deep Silver’s catalogue,” said Sumo COO Paul Porter. “We’re looking forward to exceeding fan expectation with an ambitious design that we’re confident will take bone-crunching, visceral, zombie action to a whole new level.”

>This is Deep Silver’s second investment in UK development. Its upcoming shooter Homefront: The Revolution is being created at Nottingham-based Dambuster, which it owns.

Sauce: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sumo-digital-takes-charge-of-dead-island-2/0163785
>>
Because nobody cares about a dead franchise.
Lost potential, sold on hype alone.
Second only to Spore in that regard.
>>
can we get hellraid already

dead island is shit
dying light was better
>>
How big is Sumo these days? They're doing Crackdown 3 too
>>
>>330327125
>They're doing Crackdown 3 too
but only as assist.
>>
>zombie game
>in 2016-2017
>>
oh boy, development hell here we go
>>
This is probably the first time I've been deceived by a trailer

I was dumb
>>
>>330326713
Whatever. Dying Light is better than Dead Island will ever be.
>>
>>330327265
Nah, Sumo are devs for hire with a good track record for getting shit shipped.
>>
File: 1457532413160.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1457532413160.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>330326713
So Yager had big expensive ideas but Deep Silver only likes to cash cow, so they traded it off to a dumpy little assist studio that cranks out cheap shit for a quick buck, with all of one game to call their own.
>>
>still giving a fuck about DI when dying light was the superior game in ALL aspect objectively

why
>>
File: GoldenEye Speedrun.jpg (29 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
GoldenEye Speedrun.jpg
29 KB, 800x600
>>330326713
>Dead Island 2

For what purpose? The market is already so saturated with almost identical zombie survival games, how could they possibly think yet another one would sell well? Especially when DI1 had such average review scores
>>
>>330327457
Sumo Digital and Rebellion are Brett Ratner of video games
>>
>>330327457
Little Big Planet 3 is a fucking mess
>>
>>330327265
>teaser trailer at E3 2-3 years ago
>nothing since
Yes, NOW they're in development hell.
>>
>>330327664
Still got shipped. It might not be good but development hell seems unlikely.

DI2 must have been looking like a real mess for DS to pull the plug when they did. And the first sold a bazillion copies, their determination to put out a sequel shouldn't be a shock.
>>
>>330327927
>It might not be good but development hell seems unlikely.

Getting shit on your plate isn't better than nothing
>>
>mfw i actually liked dead island and riptide
I don't know. They were fun.
>>
It's really disappointing that Dead Island/Dying Light games had shit writing while CoJ: Gunslinger was fantastic

>>330328151
Did you played Dying Light?
>>
Why can't they just make another Outrun game? Or another Kart Racer?
>>
>>330328269
Sega. Supposedly they have repeatedly pitched an Outrun sequel and Sega has refused to bite.

They're an independent dev, they need to take any work they can get to survive. Dead Island will be considered a coup for them.
>>
I don't care about Dead Island, make Crackdown good again pls.
>>
File: 1449024268609.jpg (45 KB, 540x429) Image search: [Google]
1449024268609.jpg
45 KB, 540x429
>>330326713
>Yager has since filed for insolvency.
fuck, i really loved spec ops the line
>>
Sumo is pretty good, so this might turn out alright. Seems a little out of there wheelhouse as far as genres go, though.
>>
>>330328601
Don't care about Crackdown, make America great again pls
>>
>>330328151
its ok anon, Dead Island 1 was pretty cool, the setting was the best
>>
Oh thank God. For whatever reason I thought Techland would be doing it. Maybe now they can work on Hellraider.
>>
File: trump2.jpg (56 KB, 342x465) Image search: [Google]
trump2.jpg
56 KB, 342x465
>>330329732
I'm getting there.
>>
>>330326713
>Yager was not following their vision.
Techland was also forced to follow the great sight of deep silver, they liked the experience so much that both companies will not work together again.

Techland finds another publisher that allowed them to do what they wanted and suddenly they make a good game instead of the abortion that dead island was.

Surely this game will be good considering the publisher, two years of work made by another team on a new game engine that is still going through all the kinks.

RIP
>>
>>330332191
So sad.

Deep Silver has gone the way of the typical AAA publisher.
>>
>>330333273
Deep Silver has been always a bad, jewish publisher. At least with EA or Ubisoft they sometimes release a good game even if it's rarely.
>>
>>330326713
is it truly wise to give the responsibility to a dev that mainly creates racing games?
>>
>>330335149
They made Disney Infinity and Crackdown 3
>>
>>330335647
Well, Sumo Digital has worked on multiple genres before.
>>
No.
NO.
YOU SHOULD BE DOING RACING GAMES.
>>
Dead Island is a dumb name for a fucking Franchise anyways.

the name alone means an Island always has to be involved and when it isn't, the obvious question has to be fucking asked, "why is it called Dead Island"?
>>
What do you guys think was wrong with Yagers Dead Island 2?
It was canned so late it must have been 90% done right?
>>
File: hellraid.jpg (317 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
hellraid.jpg
317 KB, 1600x900
Is Hellraid ever coming out?
>>
>>330338438
Techland better not cancel the game completely the only reason why we haven't heard about the game in a year is because they were focusing on dying light.
>>
>Sumo Digital working on Dead Island 2
>No chance for a sequel of Sonic Racing Transformed

...that's actually mildly disappointing.
>>
File: consider-the-following-300x226.jpg (16 KB, 300x226) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following-300x226.jpg
16 KB, 300x226
The latest two entries in the franchise were Escape Dead Island (cell shaded abomination with 52 metacritic score) and Dead Island: Epidemic (a fucking MOBA so shit it died on the beta stage)
Deep Silver is clearly know what they're doing and Dead Island 2 is surely gonna be great, wink-wink
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.