[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: How do we improve Pokemon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8
File: image.png (209 KB, 2000x736) Image search: [Google]
image.png
209 KB, 2000x736
I want to see side quests. Random NPCs in the world would be like "I need you to catch this Pokemon for me" or "I need you to defeat this trainer on Route 115", and in return you'd get Money or Items.
>>
get rid of megas
>>
But why
>>
>>330325037
>Skyrim tier radiant quests
Fuck off OP
>>
By not playing it.
>>
No more need for a HM slave.
>>
>>330325037
Drop Game Freak, give it to Chunsoft
>>
>>330325037
You have a fucking containment board for the pokefaggotry.

>>>/vp/
>>
>>330325037
A properly working MMORPG
>>
>>330325037

Shit idea that just pads out the game and adds nothing to the experience.
What you want to do is improve the main features of the game, which are capturing, raising, and battling pokemon.

You could have some sort of bounty hunt system where people will trade rare pokemon for items or currency. Maybe that pokemon needs to be a certain level or know a certain move.

Regardless, this belongs on >>>/vp/
>>
>>330325037
Wait... are you actually suggesting radiant quests?
>>
How about instead of becoming a pokemon master (gym, elite 4, champion) and taking down an evil organization (team rocket, team magma/aqua)
You actually just live the life of a 10 year old kid and catch all the pokemon
>>
By letting it die.
>>
>>330325471
>Play as a ten year old
>Having fun with your pokemon pals
>Hear about a cool tournament and sign up
>Your opponent is a 300 lb neckbeard fedora
>he KOs all your pokemon with an unbeatable combo in the first round
>Laughs and calls you a casual
>>
>>330325419
>massive open worlds
>interactive quests
>interactive GROUP quests
>trainer level (teaching pkmn tm's requires skill, using certain pkballs / rods requires skill, etc)
>pokeleague now really is a tournement between trainers that travelled the world to battle eachother
>more customisability
>online leaderboards
>trading is finally how it's supposed to be
>training is finally how it's supposed to be
>>
File: 907980.jpg (30 KB, 322x450) Image search: [Google]
907980.jpg
30 KB, 322x450
Let the player become a pokemon breeder by profession. Take contracts to raise a certain type of pokemon a certain way by a certain time. You're given one of the intended parents and have to find and catch a suitable mate for it yourself.

Rewards for completing contracts would begin with just money, but as your reputation as a breeder increases you'd get one of a kind items and tip-offs that lead to guaranteed encounters with rare pokemon that have highly desirable characteristics or otherwise impossible movesets.
>>
>>330325037

Sounds like you want to play Youkai watch.
>>
>>330325037
Those are the most generic, boring examples of quests imaginable. I get what you mean, but fuck.

Here's my improvements:
Atmosphere needs to stop focusing so much on Pokemon, it feels like recent games make it so the entire world is constantly obsessing over Pokemon.

Bring back the asshole rival. Having some dick head act like a piece of shit makes me want to become stronger so I can shove it in his face. A nice friend who just battles me for fun doesn't spur me on to become stronger.

No new Pokemon, we have far more than enough.

A more down to earth story. We don't need gods or doomsday devices to have an interesting story, a couple of thugs stealing Pokemon was good back in the day. Though I'm not saying copy Team Rocket, just don't have the villains trying to end the world.

Those are my main problems.
>>
>I want to see side quests. Random NPCs in the world would be like "I need you to catch this Pokemon for me" or "I need you to defeat this trainer on Route 115", and in return you'd get Money or Items.
Jesus christ, is this what the singleplayer AAA mmo Frankenstein design has done to normies?
>>
First of all, accept that a lot of what people latched onto in Generation 1 is outdated twenty years later, or at least that every time it's used makes it a little less engaging than before. The rival showing up to provide an extra obstacle on their way out of a town? It's been done, and the creative direction of the series since Generation III has neglected rival quality anyway, so where they used to be good battles, now they're just mediocre. Are they still necessary? I think the concept of rival characters deserves reexamination. Similarly, I had a real problem with the way the Pokemon League quest clashed with the villain team plot in Platinum, and while B/W solved that by having the plot climax did after the player battled the Elite Four, it's gone back down to that level somewhat. Perhaps modifying the formulaic Pokemon League questline would be beneficial.

That's story, though. And while I like Pokemon games more the more they care about their story, it's not the only element of these games. For something that can address recent gameplay gripes, add a second mode, accessible from the beginning, where higher-level boss opponents like later Gym Leaders, villain bosses during the final battle, and the Elite Four and Champion have full teams, as well as possibly higher-level Pokemon with better movesets. This way, new players can play on "Trainer Mode", while people who have been playing for the majority of the franchise's lifespan can go straight to a "Champion Mode" that doesn't insult their intelligence.

>>330325471
I don't think that would be a very good idea for the main series. This series needs to move forward in scope and storyline, not backslide into the Pokemon equivalent of slice of life. On the other hand, that might work as a spinoff.
>>
1) make it more exploration-based. you are playing a game where your characters are a random resource in the world, yet the world is 100% linear and it's getting progressively worse. i don't see a point to having a linear pokemon progression. the game is also heavily based on mythologies, nature, flora and fauna. not a good formula for a themepark.

2) make egg hatching an interesting activity, or if you can't come up with one, just make eggs hatch with a timer. holding left and then right for 10 hours is not a game mechanic, i don't get how drones can spend months doing this.

3) have pokemon appearing in the field, being visible (for the next 2 points)

4) have pokemon interact with each other in the world. this is something the manga and anima captures that the games completely fail to portray. the overall theme of pokemon is nature yet they just pop out and battle one by one. have scripts so they interact with each other and the environment.

5) find better ways to get to lure/capture them than 99% "walk in grass for 10 seconds". this is pathetic in 2016.

6) better online modes options / rules / customizations / UI, basically just copy the features of those free online simulators which apparently are more competent than a multimillion company.

7) stop flooding the serie with millions of pokemon. fix the 90% of them that are completely shit / outshined by a better version of them
>>
>>330325715
Sounds terrible.
>>
>>330325228
They've already done this.
>>
>>330325715
>>trading is finally how it's supposed to be
>>training is finally how it's supposed to be
Which is?
>>
>>330326487
>5) find better ways to get to lure/capture them than 99% "walk in grass for 10 seconds". this is pathetic in 2016.
The problem with this is that, if Pokemon pop out of the grass to challenge you, then they wanted to meet you, they wanted to battle, and so it's more OK when you take them onto your team and have them battling others. You put them on the field and chase them down, sneak up and attack them from behind, or lure them in under false pretenses when they'd usually run from you, then they didn't want to meet or fight you, and so it's more like you're capturing them by force and making them battle against their will. You know, like certain protesters who haven't played the games think it is. It's like the difference between talking to mildly tipsy women at a bar until one agrees to go home with you and actively spiking one's drink with GHB: activists and ideologues might call you a rapist and a pig for both, but in the latter case they have a point.
>>
>>330326418
>Champion Mode skips are the tutorials about the basics and only leave in info about any new mechanics
Please Gamefreak
>>
>>330326818
When ?
They only got rid of fly in ORAS
>>
>less linear design
>random encounters a la chrono trigger, where you can see wild pokemon on the map and decide if to fight or to avoid it
>wild pokémon placement that actually makes sense
>more interesting placement for rare non legendaries
>remove rng for proper competitive play
>auto grinding thingy in post game (it's really retarded beating e4 50 times with your level 100 legendaries because you need to rank up some shit level 1 Pokémon for pokedex)
>>
>>330326818
No they haven't
>>
>>330327172
>>330327285
You can play through the entire campaign in black/white without any hms.

I haven't played any of the new ones, it seems like a step back if they made them a requirement again.
>>
>>330327351
I don't remember not needing the HM in Black & White though

I should try it again
>>
>>330327426
You can use HMs to get like special items or whatever but they aren't actually required. Maybe surf is, but I don't think so.
>>
>>330327152
This. It was especially bad in X/Y: by the time the game made me sit down to watch Shauna catch a Pokemon, I had a full team. If the game even had a basic check to show if the player already had caught anything, we could have avoided that.

>>330327351
"A step back" describes everything beginning with B2/W2. Especially X/Y. B/W moved so far forward, and then B2/W2 took a step back, and then X/Y ran all the way back to about where FR/LG were to the point that OR/AS almost looks like reclaiming lost ground.

>>330327513
I think Surf was required in B2/W2, but it's been a while. And it's the "good" HM, in that Surf is an exceptionally useful Water-type move for a Special Attack-oriented Pokemon.
>>
>>330325503
underrated post
>>
Remove IV.
>>
>>330327610
>>I think Surf was required in B2/W2,
I haven't played B2/W2 either, I was talking specifically about the original B/W.

It's a shame that they've shied away from these changes. B/W was incredible because it was such a breath of fresh air.
>>
>>330325037
No, not like that.
If you're gonna do sidequests, do them right.
If you're gonna make it a fetchfest, then make it so it has at least an interesting subplot so it motivates you to keep going, or do shit like "help me find my pokémon that got lost in a cave" and the person joins you while you're there, kinda like DPPt; or imagine there's a farm and it's being attacked at night by pokémon and you gotta fend them off and so on.

Anyway, lots of side content would improve the games a lot.
>>
>>330327765
Oh, and a hard mode.
>>
>>330325037
un-babify it
more secrets
focus on exploration, adventure and environment
make it less linear
hard mode

there you go, literally fixed pokemon
>>
>>330327889
There is a hard mode in XY
>>
>>330325037
>I need you to catch this Pokemon for me
God no, that sounds awful, I don't want mmo tier fetch quests.
>>
>>330327997
No there isn't.
>>
How about introducing the villain team plotline like usual but either move good chunks of it to the post-League game or make it beatable yet mostly ignorable until then? They could just unlock a variety of more substantial (and maybe even challenging) sideareas in the world map as you progress the villain plot, with legendaries as the rewards and so on.
>>
>>330328063
The first time you boot it when you begin you can choose to play easy or normal mode. When you finish the game you unlock hard mode
I'm not joking
>>
Bring back the old Exp. Share, call the new one Exp. All like in Gen 1 and make it a post-Elite 4 item.
>>
>>330328284
No

Beating White 2 unlocks the easy mode, beating Black 2 unlocks the hard mode

However XY have absolutely no difficulty system unless you count not using Exp All
>>
Pokemon doesn't need much to be good.
Just have a vast world to explore with secrets. None of that go in a circle shit.

And it needs an amazing post game. Give me a reason to use different pokemon at different things. The last few generations were just catch the unlocked legendaries and then play online
>>
>>330329227
This is why HG/SS and Emerald are the best games
>>
let the developers that made that latest mystery dungeon game take over the main series
>>
>>330329336
I agree
>>
>>330327997
Anon, I think you might be mistaken.
>>
File: You're god damn right.gif (1001 KB, 485x242) Image search: [Google]
You're god damn right.gif
1001 KB, 485x242
>>330329336
>>
>>330325037
I want to date qt3.14 trainers
>>
>>330329408
If they did that, we wouldn't get to the second gym until half way through the game
>>
>>330329336
Dont you think the extra bits in FR / LG was good too?
>>
File: sun-moon-trucks.jpg (32 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
sun-moon-trucks.jpg
32 KB, 600x300
>>330325037
They already are improving it. With TRUCKS!

TRUCKS!
R
U
C
K
S
!SKCURT
>>
>>330327128
Except with the Pokeradar sneaking up on pokemon from behind is exactly what you're doing.
>>
>>330325503
That would save it. I'm just not sure if I would ever be able to recover from such a great loss.
>>
More than one save file
>>
>>330329582
They were okay, but they felt rushed. Kanto and Battle Frontier are better
>>
>>330325037

New Game+
Emerald tier post-game zone
Challenge mode:

-Trainers in the overworld have teams instead of 1-2 shitmons for your starter to plow
-All bosses (Gym leader, Team leader/lieutenant, Elite 4, Champ) have a full team of 6.
-All bosses have a signature pokemon that has above average to superior IVs, depending on their point in the progression of the game
-E4 and Champ scale up to your party's level
-All trainers and bosses' pokemon have varying amounts of EVs
-After beating the champ, you are occasionally challenged by a trainer to retain your title. So long as you're champion, you get benefits the longer you hold your title (lower prices, better shiny chances, faster breeding, etc.)
>>
>>330326418
As for how I'd solve the story problem, I'd probably take a page from Shin Megami Tensei's book. You get the normal Pokemon protagonist life, until the villain team attacks your local Professor's lab and steals something. One of the people in the lab during the investigation is the opposite sex player character, who introduces themselves as a representative of the nearest Gym Leader. Make it explicit that the Gym Leaders are responsible for enforcing Pokemon League rules in a given area as well as measuring a Trainer's skill level, but that some of them are opposed to League policies. After starter choice, the game introduces your other rival, who will be back to being one of your strongest opponents, and is on a quest to bring down the Pokemon League and seems connected to the villains.

Throughout the story, you'll be given choices of how to behave. To help distract the local Gym Leader and Trainers long enough to help a friend who participated in an unlawful battle, or to hand them in for the reward? A conflict between two prospective Gym Leaders fighting over who controls a town on the border between their cities, who do you lead to victory: the one who prioritizes actively hunting the villain team over educating and licensing new Trainers, or the one who makes it their priority to teach and equip new Trainers but barely even notices the villains? That kind of scenario.

Starting after you beat the fourth Gym, you start being presented with chances to really change up the storyline. Depending on whether you aligned yourself with the Law-aligned League or Team Chaos, you get special optional boss fights that either reinforce or reduce your alignment. Whoever you support starts replacing Leaders who oppose them, which are replaced through a double battle where you team up with the League-aligned opposite sex player character or the villain-friendly rival depending which side you're on against the Leader and someone else. (TBC)
>>
>>330329949
I would love to have a Pokémon game where you run you gym or like you said have to retain your master of the league title
>>
>>330330269
After the 7th Gym is the alignment lock. You could get any of these endings if you're neutral going into that scene, or if you're on a side a major NPC of some sort (your long-lost dad maybe?) gives you a last chance to pull back from the side you're on: you can join the villainous team, help your rival-turned-friend when he challenges the old boss, and then throw down the Pokemon League entirely; you can become a Special Leader for the Pokemon League under your now-Champion friend the opposite sex player character and defeat the criminal team, or you can decide to throw both of your potential allies down from their undeserved positions of power and take control yourself. The eighth Gym is the same whichever side you're on, and if you're on any path other than Neutral your battle against them is the special battle to throw them down. The Pokemon League and the criminal syndicate are both chasing after the box Legendary for insert-mythological-reason-here, whoever you're with lets you be the one to capture it so that you'll be ready to both finish the main story and eventually challenge them in the postgame, but the Legendary alone isn't enough to beat the Champion or the Boss, you need a good enough team otherwise.

When the endgame comes, you have the Legendary, but if you're on the Law or Chaos path the Boss or Champ respectively has managed to get the Legendary's opposite-version counterpart while you and your ally were chasing your Legendary. And there are also two more Legendaries maybe, one representing Law and one representing Chaos, so that on the neutral path your enemies still have Legendaries, and so that they have top-tier Pokemon when you face them as in the postgame.

Speaking of postgame: once you beat the final boss, you can go to an open-ended faraway land with stronger Pokemon, stronger Trainers, no connection to the main story except maybe deposed Gym Leaders for rematches, and maybe its own, more open-ended questline.
>>
>>330331436
You sound autistic. Go post your fanfic somewhere else
>>
>>330331436
Look, publishers don't lurk 4chan looking to hire "idea guys". You're better off silently fantasizing than wasting your time typing that shit out for nobody to reply to you with earnesty.

I could fill a book with the useless shit I think about that no ones wants to hear or discuss. Take a page
>>
Harvest moon meets Pokémon.
>>
Make the Pokemon League a huge tournament arc
>>
File: 01_062.jpg (66 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
01_062.jpg
66 KB, 1024x768
>>330329682
>Vehicles are a large focus in SM
>They replace the bike with a moped
>>
File: 1457110806101.gif (114 KB, 402x396) Image search: [Google]
1457110806101.gif
114 KB, 402x396
>>330333804
Yfw
>>
>>330331436
>Speaking of postgame: once you beat the final boss, you can go to an open-ended faraway land with stronger Pokemon, stronger Trainers, no connection to the main story except maybe deposed Gym Leaders for rematches, and maybe its own, more open-ended questline.

Thats pretty much the route Platinum went with its battle frontier, with the addition of side characters to battle.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.