[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
where did it all go so wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: 223567.jpg (1 MB, 1750x980) Image search: [Google]
223567.jpg
1 MB, 1750x980
where did it all go so wrong?
>>
Too many things
-leveling is too easy and doesn't feel rewarding or challenging anymore - oh, you have 10 level 100's? So does everyone else
-legendary ring is basically required to raid and takes months to get. It's just not fun, especially if you started late
-server communities are non-existent now due to dead servers, CRZ, and a change in player attitude
-guilds aren't social anymore - they just exist to kill bosses. Gone are the days of making real life friends over Wow
-classes all feel the same and many have unsatisfying rotations compared to older expansions
-world is empty and soulless
-nothing to do except raid, unless you like to waste time collecting mounts or achieves
-pvp the most unbalanced it's ever been

I could go on.. but yeah
>>
Slight downhill started when they gave BT-equivalent gear for Badges of Justice, went steeper with 3.2 launch when you could skip a raid tier by doing 5-mans and went the steepest with 3.3 when they released the random dungeon finder.
>>
File: stunherald_final.jpg (54 KB, 468x493) Image search: [Google]
stunherald_final.jpg
54 KB, 468x493
>>330320697
>pvp the most unbalanced it's ever been
I respectfully disagree
>>
When they made an MMO instead of an RTS.
>>
>>330320697
Most top arena players actually find pvp to be the most balanced it has been in years

Its just boring
>>
>>330319689
>where did it all go so wrong?

One thing: the gameplay has been the same for over a decade, and people got bored of it.
By now everyone has played at least several months, and this is more than enough to get bored of the limited gameplay mechanics.

Needs more gameplay mechanics, this is it.
Now that people have better internet, a more action oriented combat, with dodging and blocking and without heat tracking spells would be what revives the game.
Of course, this is too much work for a patch, so it will be a sequel.
>>
We've been through this how many times?

Activision.
>>
>>330320831

>I never tried playing an alliance warlock or priest when 75% of the horde had wotf with a 5 sec immune free win button.
>>
File: garrosh.jpg (46 KB, 641x578) Image search: [Google]
garrosh.jpg
46 KB, 641x578
They got rid of our saviour.
>>
>>330320697
>I played WoW as a teen and had amazing times and then real life kicked in
>>
>>330320905

thats wrong though, this is such a bandwagon child-like meme criticism.

i bet you say turn and round based combat is outdated, too.
>>
>>330320996
8 hours of school changed to 8 hours of work a day, how's that any different
>>
File: WoWScrnShot_102408_205828.jpg (265 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
WoWScrnShot_102408_205828.jpg
265 KB, 1024x768
There is no danger in the world anymore. You can actually solo dungeons as a hunter. 99% of the content lvl 1 to probably 90 can be done solo. Some other classes could accomplish similar results I'm sure. Here's some nostalgia
>>
>>330321060
No, I like seeing turn based combat make a big return these days.
However WoW's combat has been the same since Vanilla, not many new mechanics were added.

There is one that pushes enemies away, one to pull them closer towards yourself as a reverse charge, and thats about it?
Nothing to dodge fireballs flying towards you. Nothing to lift an enemy and throw them elsewhere, inflicting fall damage and damage to people in that area. Nothing to propel yourself in the air and fall like a cannonball. Nothing to swap the positions of two enemies, or overall any spell that targets one enemy first, and then another, and does some linked effect (damage inflicted by one is taken by the other, if they get too close they get stunned, if they move too far apart they get damaged, etc).

There are many possible new mechanics, but we've seen very few. Combat is the meat of the game, and combat has been the same for the duration of the game. It got boring and I quit.
I played through the open beta, vanilla, Burning Crusade and wrath of the Lich King, and did more or less all the content, except the later WotLK patches raids. There were new mechanics on some bosses, some new quest types, but not many on the actual player used spells or crafting stuff. WoW has been more of the same, and people got tired.
>>
>>330319689
Cata, the only good thing out of Cata was t-mog
>>
>>330322627
I must be the only one that thinks transmog was a mistake. It was better when you could tell how dank someone was just by looking at them.

Now 90% of people just use slutmog
>>
>>330321364
If you want more diverse combat go play guild wars 2, WoW's combat has been like it is for to long for them to decide to make any changes. It's no lie that the rng combat system wow has can be annoying sometimes but it would hurt them more if they removed it than kept it just for the PvP aspects, Guild wars 2 does pretty much all of what you described and it's PvP is horribly unbalanced where everyone plays the same class unless they're in the back buffing.
>>
>>330319689
Aren't there new capitals?
Of course the old ones would be empty
>>
>>330322820
Mog was smart because it gave people at cap level still something to do after they've maxed their gear
>>
>>330322857
You asked why people quit. I told you why people quit. They are bored, because the game plays the same for ten years.

Further analysis is completely subjective, and neither me nor you are qualified to say what an MMO should be more than the people who actually make the best selling one.
>>
>>330322872
All capital cities are empty now because people just sit in their garrisons
>>
>>330321067

Work is far more mentally draining. I also have to do other adult things like cleaning and shopping, maintain my relationship and work out.

I tried getting back into WoW and everything flew of the rails. It's just not worth it.
>>
>>330322973
I'm not OP, I didn't ask why people quit I already know. WoW got competition, something they didn't have at their peak because there's mmo's that are just as good that are cheaper, free or don't require monthly fees and people would rather save money than play wow
>>
>>330320996
>tfw have a job appointment this week
>really hope I fail it so I can say atleast I tried
>planning to get autism bux so I can waste my life on the computer
I don't know why I haven't killed myself yet I don't even like life
>>
>>330321301
Oh my god. Pre-WOTLK event was the shit. Loved causing mass ghouling in Auction Houses and banks.
>>
File: 1447803804669.png (223 KB, 448x412) Image search: [Google]
1447803804669.png
223 KB, 448x412
>>330320697
Dunno man some of these seem odd.

>Guilds aren't social anymore
That's not the fault of the game, it's the players. Why not make a close group with friends that you meet?
>Nothing to do except raid, aside from the other things I listed.
There's also PvP, crafting, zone stories,dailies, or leveling a different character. I mean, you've been sitting at the pinnacle of the content they can offer.

I totally agree that world PvP and other things need to be brought in to spice up the game, but it's not like it isn't offering anything right now.. It offers a lot. You've just been doing it for 10 years and it can only go on for so long.
>>
>>330323110
Those MMOs have tens of thousands of players, to WoW's tens of millions. They arent competition.
If anything, WoW used to have more competition, with all the "WoW killers" coming out, and each having a strong initial start until people see its not as good.

The current state is that WoW is about as strong as ever, and all other MMOs are nearly dead.
This whole post ignores Asia, since its wild wild west there, no rhyme or reason.
>>
>>330323259
>That's not the fault of the game, it's the players. Why not make a close group with friends that you meet?

The type of people who would be social dont play anymore, because the game doesnt promote it.
The explorers, experimenters, people who want to team up with another level 15 guy so they can try and kill that level 20 named NPC even though there is no reason or purpose to it, they quit the game once everyone started minmaxing every aspect.
When the game got solved, and everyone knows not to invest in crafting early, or not to buy green weapons at level 13 that you will throw away after 30 minutes, or not to go to this zone, since its easier to level in that one, or not to do this very long quest, and instead do three of those other ones, things like that, the explorers left.
>>
>>330319689

>where did it all go so wrong?

I grew up, graduated college, got a job, and ran out of free time to throw at WoW just like everyone else of my generation that played the shit out of this game during vanilla. Now we either don't play, or demand that things take less time so that we can make meaningful progress in that hour of time after work that we have to ourselves.

People younger than us think grindy hard MMOs are a waste of time and a relic, and people even older than us have shit to watch on tv instead of doing this.
>>
>>330323401
Fair point. I don't advocate much of what WoW does now and haven't played in ages, but it's definitely been overstaying its welcome without doing the overhaul it needed. Or in a way, they changed the wrong things for the wrong reasons.

All in all, it kind of shows that the game can only ever have so much life in it. I dunno how you'd ever fix this, thanks to the internet ripping the mystery out of everything, but it sure isn't paying off here.
>>
>>330320697
>-pvp the most unbalanced it's ever been
Been unbalanced since Vanilla.

>-nothing to do except raid, unless you like to waste time collecting mounts or achieves
Just like since Vanilla.

>-world is empty and soulless
Just like Vanilla.

>-classes all feel the same and many have unsatisfying rotations compared to older expansions
Rotations don't exist anymore, haven't in ages. Rotation in Vanilla and TBC were ass for many classes.

>-guilds aren't social anymore - they just exist to kill bosses. Gone are the days of making real life friends over Wow
Not the game's fault.

>-server communities are non-existent now due to dead servers, CRZ, and a change in player attitude
Funny how you complain about CRZ when that literally alleviates dead zones problem.
>>
>>330319689
end of wotlk
>>
>>330323259
>That's not the fault of the game, it's the players.
Yes it is. The massive lack of social content, combined with everything being handed to you on a silver platter, means that guilds are simply not needed. You don't need to be social for WoW because you don't need groups anymore, ergo, guilds rise and fall as quickly as the tide.

>Why not make a close group with friends that you meet?
What does this even mean? Meet where? IRL? Why would you need a guild for that? Most of the RL friends I had in WoW weren't even in my guilds because everyone was too busy bouncing around to a new guild 2-3 months, or server hopping off of dying servers. Even when they're on a different server we can still play together.

Why would I need a guild to hang out with my RL friends at all?

>There's also PvP
PvP is tedious and boring. This is an almost universal opinion so don't go blathering about how it's just "muh opinions".

>crafting
Crafting? The fact that you listed this as something to do is fucking retarded. There's so many things wrong with this being listed as a positive thing to do that I'm guessing you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

>zone stories
Is this a joke? Anyone who has hit 100 has played through any recent story at least once. The writing in WoW is also fucking atrocious.

>leveling a different character
I leveled 17 characters to 100 in WoD. It takes about 2 days, 10 hours a piece, then about another 5 hours to gear them up to near-mythic content by AFKing in Ashran.

Leveling more characters doesn't add shit to do, it just lets you do the same same of shit you've already done, all over again.
>>
>>330323259

OP asked 'what went wrong?' - I never said it was the games fault, I just said what has changed for the worse

>there's also pvp
Boring as shit now, IMO. Most people would agree.
>crafting
Totally gutted this xpac. You can get max level in an hour & crafted gear is mostly useless
>Alts
Eh, maybe. But personally I've leveled enough characters that doing it again isn't appealing.
>>
>>330323816
Are you ok? If you don't enjoy the game, why did you level so many characters? You seem to want to hate everything I say so I honestly won't bother past this, but you should stop being so bitter. If you don't like WoW anymore, don't subject yourself to it and hope for change when you know full well what it offers.
>>
>>330323816
> means that guilds are simply not needed.
That's objectively wrong.
>>
>>330320697
>leveling is too short and people should be locked to the same content for longer periods of time
>questing for a piece of gear to play more content is too long

???
>>
>>330323970
>If you don't enjoy the game, why did you level so many characters?
Broke my leg, was out of work for 7 months and I was playing with my younger brother + nephew.

>You seem to want to hate everything I say so I honestly won't bother past this
I don't hate what you say anon, you're just completely ignorant to the current status of the game, but comment as if you have a clue.

>you should stop being so bitter
I had fun, but that doesn't mean the game didn't have a massive number of glare flaws that Blizzard has, and continues to, perpetuate.

>If you don't like WoW anymore, don't subject yourself to it
Stopped playing months ago when my family and friends all moved on. The last three months was just doing Pet Battle dailies with my nephew, as we found that has more content in it and is/was more enjoyable than the actual main content.

>don't subject yourself to it and hope for change when you know full well what it offers.
OP asked what went wrong. I listed what's gone wrong in response you what you said, don't get to up tight about it.

>That's objectively wrong.
Guess this is why the top-end raiders on both the servers I played weren't even in the same guild, and when cross server Mythics were released they 2-3 guilds they were in immediately disbanded.

Look up what "objectively" means.
>>
>>330323985
>>330324427
>>
BC introduced flying and therefore killed world PVP
>>
>>330323095
>I have to

key point right there, you are just a faggot
>>
>>33031968
Leveling is not rewarding

Too much focus on minor mechanics as well as reducing customization

Enemies aren't as cool

Hordewank

Zone phasing is terrible

WoW PvP is and always has been a meme

Poor faction system management favoring horde

Poor server pop management
>>
File: newgarrosh[1].png (2 MB, 1069x695) Image search: [Google]
newgarrosh[1].png
2 MB, 1069x695
> me in my head
>>330320968
me in real life
>>
>>330320697
Leveling never felt rewarding.
>>
>>330320831

As if the Stunherald could measure up to the broken state of day one Wrath of the Lich King PvP

If theNight Unkillable Self Healing Retribution Paladins that can also go full immune to damage while still ditching out 100% of their DPS didnt get you, the immortal Blood Death Knights with both tanking survivability and high DPS would.
>>
File: 1446889226881.gif (1 MB, 200x118) Image search: [Google]
1446889226881.gif
1 MB, 200x118
>>330326583
>launch Paladins.
>mfw
>>
>>330326561
Nah, in vanilla that grind from 50 to 60 is one of the best feelings ever once you finish it no matter how many times its done, I have 5 100s and the first one I got I felt kinda meh about it because it took me 2 days.
>>
>>330320697
I mostly agree.
Leveling is just a chore now. I mean, it always has been, but not you literally just jump from one LFD to another and literally SKIP all the WORLD of warcraft, until... I don't know - Pandaria maybe?
WHAT WAS BLIZZARD THINKING?
Add non-existant difficulty until mythic raids & challenge mode dungeons and there you go - a casual filler, a facebook game, a bland timekiller.
This is what WoW has become. Blizzard has fucked over it's own game so hard it hurts.
>>
>>330320697
>classes all feel the same and many have unsatisfying rotations compared to older expansions

>fire mage in MoP
>no more constant AoE explosions
so fucking boring
>>
>>330328093
I kinda liked taking 25 quests at a HUB and run around the zone completing them.
I'm bored of ouf my fucking mind when I have to run in LFDs now, doing the same thing over and over and over again. The worst part is that it's fucking piss-easy. No challenge, no problems, NOTHING.
Full heirloomed groups all the time, you just run and use 1-2 skills (forget about a 'rotation'). It's fucking retarded.
I WANT MY GROUP QUESTS BACK. Every "group" quest now is a soloable piece of cake with a blue item as a reward. If anything this partook in killing the social aspect of the game.
It's a single-player RPG dressed up as a facebook game.
>>
This is now a nostalgic music thread

https://youtu.be/38TA-X0dXr4
1:51 - chills every time
>>
>>330328741
The inn theme man.
Oh and elwynn forest, fuck that makes me tear up now. It takes me back to when i first felt the magic.
>>
>>330328346
>I kinda liked taking 25 quests at a HUB and run around the zone completing them.
>I'm bored of ouf my fucking mind when I have to run in LFDs now

That's why I HATE 1-60. Leveling is way to fast in terms of progression at least. You accept 20 quests for one zone, do 5 of them and you are already overleveled for this zone.
It's like 1-60 is designed around already being able to fly. The progression from zone to zone is fucking shit and forces you to do LFD instead and it's much quicker anyway. But doing dungeons from 1-60 is just fucking tedious. Even more so if you don't have a role/group which gets instant invites.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.