[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Super Mario Bros series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10
Take a break from Mario maker.
Let's talk about the NSMB games.
Do you really hate them?
>>
>>330317623
Wii and 2 should have never been made.

Also, I hate how the stale as hell aesthetics are leaking over to every Mario game now.
>>
Only really like the first. Wii is the only total shit one. Rest are whatever.
>>
Luigi U is best of the lot.
>>
>>330317736
What's wrong with NSMB Wii? I thought it was fun as fuck and better than the original.
>>
>>330317623
I've only played the first one, and I had fun playing it a bunch when I was younger. I never to much interest to the other four. Despite that, I've 100% the first New!, 3D Land and World, and basically every Mario game I've played.
>>
>>330317623
drunk nights with three friends playing NSMB Wii "co-op" is the best gaming experience i had

even as a single player they're all very solid games
>>
File: BAH BAH.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
BAH BAH.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
NSMB2 was the only one that felt truly half-assed. DS, Wii and especially U were pretty damn fun, mission mode needs to become a thing with future 2D and 3D Mario games.
>>
>>330317623
>not even posting shots of the signature power ups of each game
>>
>>330318369
It was. That guy is an idiot.
>>
This candy coated rim lit style is garbage. The gameplay is solid, but they never offer enough new features to spend full price on.
>>
New Super Mario Bros was hype as fuck. The rest were fun, something I enjoyed for a weekend, but nothing special.
>>
File: Untitled.png (54 KB, 246x207) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
54 KB, 246x207
remember the minigames on NSMB ds and super mario 64 ds? why don't we have those anymore?
they were fun as shit to play with friends
same thing for pictochat, which has it's own smash stage even though it was removed for no reason

why does newtendo hate fun
>>
>>
File: Holy Crackers.jpg (14 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Holy Crackers.jpg
14 KB, 250x250
>>330318712
>the second coin
>>
Love them all.
>>
>>330317623
nsmb for the ds was actually really cool and original.
>>
>>330318008
Wii was fine. 2 was bland as fuck.
>>
JUST noticed they kept the super famicom button color motif going in NEW bubble in all the titles.
>>
>>330318891
Third star is so much harder to get, i spent days on that fucking level
>>
>>330318712
Can we all agree that this is the hardest level in the game?
>>
>>330318712
You couldn't get me drunk enough to make a Mario game hard.

Those games are rubbish, piss easy difficulty, there literally no fun in them co-oping. It doesn't suddenly make the game not-shit or engaging or remotely enjoyable.

Sometimes I think wiiU/Nintendo fanboys really are children, in the mind that is.
>>
>>330317623
No, but they continue to be very unoriginal.

At least 2 had the coins schtick, made coin collecting fun and feel important.
>>
>>330319070
excluding bullshit star locations, yes it is by far the hardest level in all 2d Marios

Some of the challenges in U were pretty ridiculous too
>>
>>330317623
NSMB1 was the novelty. It was good when it released but itaged like shit. Right now, it is the worst in the series.
NSMBWii is solid but the level design and aesthetic are meh.
NSMB2 is good but forgettable and it shares the problems of NSMBWii.
NSMBU+NSLU are the best in the whole series and easily among the best Mario 2D platformers along with SMB3 and World. They created some masterpieces of level design and the visuals are actually improved. Both games are the most challenging in the whole series too.

NSMBU+NSLU >NSMBWii>NSMB2>NSMB
>>
>>330319082
You're just a bitter fuck. Shit, my fucking father still likes this shit.
>>
I hate them for what they've done to Mario, even if the games themselves aren't awful. They're just blander than an unsalted cracker.

NSMB on the DS I can totally get. There hadn't been a true 2D Mario in ages, a return to the basics was the natural choice for a revival. NSMBWii displayed some serious stagnation, but it essentially seemed like all it was trying to be was "NSMB but on consoles so everyone can play it together" and it accomplished that goal perfectly well.

But the fact that every Mario afterwards actively began to emulate their generic, no-frills style and drop any hint of creativity, while NSMB itself proceeded to completely rehash the same shit without even pretending to give an effort made me hate the series.

The fact that one of the Wii U's big launch titles was essentially just a Wii game that looked just like a Wii game really shows how much the money it made blinded them to how shit the whole thing was.
>>
>>330319063
Not really, the fire bros already do most of the work for you. The problem with the 2nd one is that you can fuck up the fire ball throw really easily, or waste too much time and let the piranha plants fuck the bridge, or both.
>>
>>330319384
It has a really low skill floor, but they pull out all the stops occasionally. Anyone who says they're not challenging is just memeing
>>
File: 1395616253735.jpg (74 KB, 638x536) Image search: [Google]
1395616253735.jpg
74 KB, 638x536
>>330319401

>They look the same so they're all bad games.
>Level design doesn't count as creativity.
>>
It was really amazing seeing a brand spanking new 2D Mario game on a HDTV back in 2009.

Convinced me to buy a Wii along with Donkey Kong Country Returns and Epic Mickey.

Gameplay wise, each entry got increasingly better.

I remember really liking New Super Mario Bros 2 on the 3DS and the WiiU version had the right balance of challenge.
>>
I don't get the criticism for these games.
2 and U are extremely fun.
>>
>>330317623

I played the Wii version and I found it to be extremely bland.
The level design is far worse and less creative than any Mario games from 3 and on.
>>
>>330319771

2's coin gimmick was uninspired, the reward for a million coins was the laziest shit possible, it introduced paid DLC into 2D Mario games, there's only so many times you can hear the coin-grab sound before it becomes annoying as shit and you pass that point halfway through 1-1.

NSMBU is pretty damn good, I think the only complaints would be its aesthetic had been overused by then, and a 2D platformer wasn't the best showcase for a new system's launch.
>>
I hate the original one on DS. I thought it was really bland and annoying, hated the level design. The rest are great, although I'd really love it if they'd change the aesthetics or give us different worlds. 4 games with the same worlds (5 if we count Mario 3) is too much...
>>
>>330319978
I suppose it's a matter of taste.
I love the coins theme.
>>
>>330319576
It's got level design that just manages to keep the games okay, but plenty of other games do it better and they don't break out the unique or thoughtful ideas nearly enough to keep make it feel like they were really trying.
>>
>>330317736
I was about to say the same, but only for 2. Wii was fine, it was clear they wanted one for each console, but 2 was shameless milking.
>>
They offer nothing new, but they're fun and take a decent amount of skill to 100%, just like all the previous sidescrolling Mario platformers. There are plenty of other Nintendo games that are much more deserving of the criticism than this series.
>>
>>330320281

They deserve all the criticism they can get can.
A sequel, and these games are sequels to the 2D Mario series, is supposed to improve on the previous games in some way.
When you're better off playing SMB3 or World, what's the point of these games' existence?
>>
>>330319609
>I remember really liking New Super Mario Bros 2 on the 3DS and the WiiU version had the right balance of challenge.

I really don't understand post's like these, I really don't.

I have a 3DS and wiiU which I bought for different games but SM3DW, 3d world on the 3ds and super Mario luigi bros on the wiiU were some of the most easiest fucking dumb down games I've ever played.

I literally have no idea how people find this engaging or even get any gameplay out of it, each level takes half a minute to complete, there is no challenge, its soo easy, its too short, how the fuck do people find this fun?
>>
>>330319771
2 has well-designed levels, but it shat the bed in the way of its central theme. You don't go all-out on a coin motif and cram stages full of coins and ways to multiply your coin total without offsetting the major point of coins: 1ups. Either jack up the difficulty or gate 1up acquisition behind Toad Houses and it would've been passable.

Even then, though, there were so many creative directions that could've been taken to really do something with the idea of collecting coins while keeping the game genuine to Mario. Instead, it felt shoehorned in as a half-thought score chase element.
>>
>>330320814
>..."were some of the most easiest fucking dumb down games I've ever played."
Seems like you haven't played a Triple-A game in the last decade.
>>
Never really liked them or saw the point aside from maybe a one-off.
>>
>>330320814
There is a point where you must consider your own skills in the equation. People say SMB3 and World are challenging, whenever I play them, I finish them easily. In my eyes, they are far from challenging. But they are, the problem is I play platformers since I was born.
Saying NSLU is not challenging is beyond asinine. It is but not for veterans, just like both 3 and World are not challenging to a veteran as well.

If playing hard games is the only meaning of your lifw, just play the Lost Levels all your life, because no Mario game period is hard as that.
>>
I don't hate those games, I'm just sick of them.
>>
File: 1446907423011.jpg (427 KB, 1980x1280) Image search: [Google]
1446907423011.jpg
427 KB, 1980x1280
Does anyone else remember this? Did I hallucinate it?
>>
>>330317623
They all are enjoyable but wii and 2 feel like expansions in my opinion.
>>
>>330319284
>among the best

So they arent better than games released 20 years earlier on shit hardware? What an outstanding accomplishment
>>
Slippery, dull, generic shit that they can't stop making over and over.
>>
>>330321727
They are actually all equally great for different reasons. Only kids argue about which one is the best or the worst.
>>
>>330317623
I don't hate them. I nothing them.

Super Mario World was the last 2D Mario I liked (I liked Super Mario World 2, but that's a Yoshi game, honestly). The last 3D Mario I enjoyed was Mario 64.
>>
>>330321917
>Slippery
i love all these retarded "arguments"

movement in NSMB series is factually is the least least slippery compared with SMB1, SMB3 and SMW
>>
>>330322109
Don't bother. Anyone that actually played them knows it. They simply parrot retarded shit hoping someone will take the bait.
>>
>>330317623
First two were good. U felt a bit generic and 2 was pretty shit imo
>>
>BAH BAH is horrid in all games
>Vapid, empty level designs without a sense of wonder
>Worst new enemies and enemy designs
>Worst music
>Worst physics
>Annoying and loud Mario
>>
>>330322065
>Super Mario World was the last 2D Mario I liked (I liked Super Mario World 2, but that's a Yoshi game, honestly). The last 3D Mario I enjoyed was Mario 64.
Pretty much how I feel. Sunshine and Galaxy 2 had some moments but other than that the franchise has been flat since Mario 64 imo.
>>
>>330317623
I don't mind them
The first one is fucking great
Wii is fun if you find it in a bargain bin
2 is fun because I'm a Jew at heart
U is really samey, and the point where it was starting to get stale. At least the platform placing was a fun way to use the gamepad
Luigi was a great idea.
>>
Nah.

The DS game actually is the thing that brought me back to play vidya with a DS Lite.

Enjoyed Wii because of 4 players but 2 and U need some growing on me. 2 is nice because it's faster and the point is score attack, and U is nice because it actually adds new enemies and little tricks here and there. Also it's nice that they changed up the minor castle fights.

My problem has always been with the fanbase. A big portion of them still don't seem to realize that the series was supposed to reboot Super Mario Bros. (Not 2, 3 or World, literally NEW Super Mario Bros. as in the first NES game).
>>
They're not "bad" games or anything, just homogenized. Like very few people would say "Okay, I'm buying an NX just for NSMBNX" when you can basically play the same game in different resolutions on your DS, 3DS, Wii, and Wii U.

Super Mario Maker gives me the impression that Nintendo felt like they weren't doing enough and needed to reevaluate 2D Mario after seeing what fans can do. They need to create something that'll WOW fans of SMM and make them go "Now that looks like crazy fun 2D platforming gameplay that I can't get anywhere else".

It can't just be reinventing the wheel over and over and over and over and over and passing it off as a game changer. The first NSMB was a pretty great game. It managed to be both nostalgic and breathe new life into 2D Mario which had been nothing but enhanced remakes/ports for 11 years. But we've had New Super Mario Bros. style gameplay for 10 years now, and it just doesn't impress the 6th time.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.