[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quest marker Or no?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: morrowind quest book.jpg (262 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
morrowind quest book.jpg
262 KB, 1024x819
Do you prefer finding the places yourself following the ingame directions or just going to the quest mark?
>>
I usually disable the floating ones they put on your screen and just use the map. Most open world games are too big and too copypaste to actually follow directions these days.
>>
Depends on the game.
>>
>>330303181
>Do you prefer finding the places yourself following the ingame directions
Yes.
I also like making maps and taking notes.
This is the proper way to play RPGs and makes it more of a whole engaging experience than just a game of "stare at the screen and push the buttons".
>>
When a game has ingame floating pips by default, the developers and designers build environments assuming they don't need to point the player in a natural way (since the marker takes care of that) which means you're often SOL when you turn it off.

I like games that use in-game elements like lights and signs to guide you, but this isn't always an option.
>>
>>330303410
This. If the directions are actually detailed and the world is worth exploring like Morrowind, then of course I don't want quest markers. If the game is literally built around following the arrow like Skyrim, then leave it on.
>>
File: 1422673449095.jpg (865 KB, 1680x944) Image search: [Google]
1422673449095.jpg
865 KB, 1680x944
It can depend on how the game is made, honestly. Morrowind was built around players finding their way from instructions given by NPCs and landmarks found in the environments. NPCs give incredibly detailed directions for you to go off of including what you may find along the way. In that way it works very well since the game is built around it and then allows the player to find their own path or even deviate to find new places.

A game like Skyrim though doesn't work well with it. You can easily get rid of the indicator of which direction to go, but most NPCs won't give you very good directions and the environment doesn't have many landmarks outside of cities. That game is not only built around the indicators but is also built around fast travel, which makes many quests constantly send you to the ass end of the world map.

In a general sense I do enjoy following directions to get to places because, as I stated before, it allows for the player to find their own path as well as discover new places they otherwise might not find just by walking in a straight line. In Morrowind I got lost so many times which gave me so many fun experiences of discovering totally new dungeons and landmarks. If I hadn't got lost I would never had normally seen them. There's also an immense sense of accomplishment for arriving at a really out of the way village after getting lost a couple of times since you feel like you genuinely went on a journey. Though sometimes in Morrowind it was a bit much. I remember for the main quest there were a couple of the little villages filled with a couple tents and a small group of people that I would pass by tons of times because it was so small. Still, finding the place for myself was satisfying.
>>
It just matters if you feel into the game or not. Arrows kill exploration but they save you from being annoyed.
I think being annoyed is part of a satisfying game experience though.
>>
>>330303181
If there's directions to follow then I follow them. If not then I mod them in. If there's neither directions nor mods for them then I look for an alternative like that one spell in Skyrim. If all else fails I keep the marker on the map and remove it from the compass, so I see it only when I choose to.
>>
>>330303181
no quest markers please. sadly i don't remember any games without quest markers from the past 10 years or something
>>
>>330306616
clairvoyance was such an idiotic spell, i mean dear lord how much handholding do gamers need these days?
>>
I played Oblivion without using quest markers and it was very fun. If someone told me where the location was I would allow myself to look at the map before I left town but I couldn't use the compass except for directions.
>>
>>330307513
my nigga, i like your style
>>
>>330307383
Its utility is questionable witch quest markers enabled, but it makes sense as a way to find your objective when you disable them in the config. It's a concession from the devs to make it viable since they obviously aren't going to design a world that's actually meant to be navigated manually. Still was a shitty implementation for other reasons, like how it could end up looping between interiors and exteriors.
>>
Give the player enough information to get the job done without quest markers or other kinds of waypoints, ensuring nothing is counter-intuitive if the player pays attention.

The one thing I'll accept when automatic markers could be used is for a main location (like a town or dungeon entrance) or other kinds of landmarks on the map but leave it at that; there shouldn't be a magic homing beacon on men, a book you need to read in a place you've never been before, or the Macguffin you need to find. I think more games need maps you can hold like FC2, but not with your current location or other magic moving markers on it. It'd make travelling and following directions a bit more fun than just opening the map screen often if you're confused.
>>
>>330308128
not even counting utility, i meant how it works and sort of the idea behind the spell. it literally shows you exactly where to walk, like doing a crossword puzzle with someone telling you the correct answers. exploration should be a part of skyrim and games like it, clairvoyance removes that aspect.
>>
>>330303181
depends on the quest.
if its a go here type of quest then its logical to assume that your character knows where he has to go.
but it feels stupid when its a "find this long lost item that could be anywhere", it just feels stupid
>>
>>330303181
Depends on the style of the game. I never needed quest markers for Fallout.
>>
>>330310061
I see what you mean, but I find it a step below the quest markers themselves in that regard. Looking at the world itself instead of a UI element and having to spend the time and resources to cast the spell make it preferable. Without the spell I'd be forced to enable quest markers to get anything done in the vanilla game. Not that it matters since we can avoid the need for either of those options with the quest description mod.
>>
File: 007810.png (50 KB, 421x248) Image search: [Google]
007810.png
50 KB, 421x248
if you remove quest markers in skyrim it would break the game because it is made with quest markers in mind
>>
>>330310574
Also same with Gothic. You don't even really need a map in that game.
>>
Depends on the writing and if they actually give you good information. Too many quests are simply "go to [named place]" with no context of where that might be
>>
>>330303181
Yes when the direction are relatively clear, no any other time.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.