[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Marketing killed the Wii U nothing more Debate.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 4
File: wii_u_iwata.jpg (240 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
wii_u_iwata.jpg
240 KB, 960x720
>Marketing killed the Wii U nothing more
Debate.
>>
Marketing is definitely something that did it in, but the fact that 3rd party games were already on consoles that people had was another.

Why buy the WiiU for Call of Duty, when your 360 or PS3 can play it? You know? Of course, this is just an example. Majority of people who got a WiiU didn't buy it for CoD.
>>
>>330288108
>Marketing killed the XBox One
no, it was just an bad product
>>
>>330288469

Xbox one isn't dead though.

I'm glad you didn't deflect to sony but its stil the same.
>>
>>330288108
A couple of things killed the Wii U, the name being a very obvious factor, and Nintendo's stubborn refusal to have healthy modern business relationships with 3rd party developers being another.
>>
It was the weakest product on the market. It cost almost as much as its competitors. It's still a Nintendo console, which means you get a few first party games and a few third party games.

Considering the lack of multi-plats, it probably is a bitch to code or too weak to run.
>>
The consumers are to blame. They abandoned Nintendo for no reason.
>>
They jumped the gun on releasing it. If it came out at the same time as the PS4 and Xbone, with the extra tech specs and things that would have entailed, plus some better launch titles, I think it would've done fine.
As it was, people thought the Wii was behind the PS3 and 360 in terms of performance, so when the Wii U was released and was just on par with them, just as people were hearing about how a PS4 was going to be a SUPERCHARGED PC, it was easy for people to lose interest in it. There's not really much more to say about it, the PS4 didn't even have to market itself as one half of the competition was outdated and the other half was being reported as a spy device.
>>
it needed more games

other things would have helped

but that's what's absolutely wrong with it
>>
Sticking with the Power architecture was probably a mistake, but they wanted total backwards compatibility. Moving to a more modern PPC core would have ballooned the power needs and size of the console, though.

The Wii U's GPU is actually pretty decent.
>>
>>330288108

If they made games that were similar to the DS and 3DS in fashion and pumped them out with appropriate graphics to the console, I'd buy one.

It would be like a giant, high quality DS in your living room rather than holding and looking at a tiny screen.

Their handhelds sell like hotcakes, but the Wii U barely sells at all. You think they'd have put two and two together by now.
>>
>>330289193
>no reason
They are wise with their wallet, probably the only thing you should be a fan for.
>>
I like the Wii U, I think it genuinely has the best library of the three right now but it had a lot more problems than just marketing.

Why is there still no proper account system and why does the virtual console support still suck? All their classics should have been available day one, I'm not going to keep looking week by week to see when I can play one of my favourites. If they had put a proper hard drive in the thing and pushed ALL their classic games they would be printing money.
>>
>>330288108
>killed
but anon, the wii u is not dead.
>>
File: 1456175493748.jpg (82 KB, 640x610) Image search: [Google]
1456175493748.jpg
82 KB, 640x610
Hardware was shit. GamePad is fucking horrible. Games are shallow shadows of their former games.

If you had me at gunpoint I would still NOT buy a Wii U.
>>
>>330288108
Wii U's jankyness and the lack of any games 99% of gaming population would enjoy killed the Wii U.
>>
It doesn't appeal to hardcores and for casuals videogames are a fad that died last gen.
>>
marketing, the tablet, a lot of weak release months, and the lack of 3rd party killed it

which is ironic because the tablet is GOAT for portable play
>>
>>330289887
Just wait for the next Nintendo system a handheld console hybrid
>>
>>330289908
People should support Nintendo because I played their games as a kid and when I play them now they give me a warm fuzzy feeling of nostalgia inside.
>>
Marketing helped kill the Wii U. It was maimed, paralyzed, and left vulnerable by releasing with weak hardware, terrible third party support, horrible launch window, and a gaming drought.

The system has some charm, but it was/is deeply flawed.
>>
>>330288108
A lot of factors killed the Wii U.
Nintendo being incompetent is one of them.
>>
>>330289193
Nintendo abandoned their consumers when they left the Wii barren for 2 years and then somehow managed to release a console that was simultaneously rushed and outdated.
>>
The stupid-ass name and lack of marketing definitely didn't help, but at this point Sony/Microsoft have firmly rooted their console hardware as multimedia devices. The PS4 pretty close to a smartphone or computer in the sense that it has become something like a regular household appliance that everyone in the family will use.

Nintendo accepted or even encouraged the just-for-kids image, which was fine when cell phones and tablets were shit/expensive. But by the time the Wii U came out they had a whole new opposition, families could buy nearly half a dozen tablets with free games for the price of a Wii U.
>>
>>330288108
Yeah.
They targeted casuals, who migrated to smartphones from 2009-2012. Their massive consumer base who bought the Wii fragmented.
>>
The WiiU had an unappealing library for both the hardcore and the casual. Hell, even the fanatical Nintendofan got shat on the face (no Metroid, no F-Zero, no Zelda, a Smash everyone hated, etc).
>>
Anyone else think that they could've sold way more if they'd made the console compatible with apple/android tablets? Casuals would've loved that.
>>
>>330291976
Not to mention the complete and total lack of Gamecube VC games, only so Nintendo could justify shitting out remakes of both GC Zeldas to stall for time while they port the new one to NX.

Imagine the joy it would cause if Nintendo ported Melee to Wii U. No more hunting down copies and old systems and using CRTs in tournaments. The scene would have actually moved forward.
>>
>>330288108
It woulda helped yes, but the lack of third parties, weak hardware, and banking on the Wii name a second time killed it even moreso.
>>
Blogshit / anecdote ahead:
In my country the average individual sees Nintendo's consoles as toys for children, or as a console for children. Nearly every adult who plays videogames uses either a Playstation or an Xbox.
Maybe marketing is at fault.
>>
>>330292235
I think GC games didn't get added to the VC because of the controller. The GC controller had shoulder buttons that were pressure sensitive. They could basically detect how much force was being applied to the button and could coordinate actions accordingly. Some games, like Star Fox Adventures, took advantage of this feature. The Wii U controllers all have digital shoulders. The controller can only detect whether or not the button has been pressed, not how much force is being applied. The result is that some GC games that took advantage of the pressure pad features will not translate fluently to the Wii U.

Taking that with the knowledge of how much Nintendo is a perfectionist when it comes to ports, you wind up with no GC games on the Wii U.
>>
>>330289361
>if it had come out later it would have had better specs
No it wouldn't. Think about it logically for two seconds. They'd finalized the designs at least a year prior to release, because they needed to produce a whole bunch, and that takes time.

In order for a year's delay to translate to more power, they would have had to change the design entirely. Which isn't strictly possible when it's a design you've been working on for 4+ years. They didn't need to "delay" the release, they needed to completely change their design.

It doesn't help that between design finalization and launch, tablets sprang into popularity and the gamepad became "just a tablet", without Nintendo being able to do a damn thing about it.
>>
File: Jesus.png (595 KB, 708x2012) Image search: [Google]
Jesus.png
595 KB, 708x2012
>>330288108
>Marketing
>>
>>330292613
Yes, but the Gamecube adapter exists now, and is proven to work with GC games through Nintendont. If Nintendo themselves can't add that kind of functionality when a ragtag group of modders could, maybe they are better off dead.
>>
>People in this board claimed that the WiiU was going to drive Microsoft and Sony out of the vidya business

Ahahaha
>>
>>330292765
The thread should end here
>>
They only needed to drop a bit of that special eDRAM (32mb to 16mb) and add another core (4 cores running at 1.6ghz) a slightly better GPU and 4Gb of RAM.

The tablet controller is too big and expensive, if it was at least 5,5 inches the controller would be cheaper and smaller.

The One/PS4 CPU is shit, a beefier WiiU could handle games better than those two.

Ps4 is winning this generation too easily.........and i'm not a sony fan.
>>
No, the dumb gimmick killed the Wii U, complemented by a lack of games that appealed to non-niche groups, as well as the poor marketing.
>>
I hope Nintendo drops the shiny faux-Apple look they've had on their consoles and goes back to the original NES colors in package that just looks like audio visual equipment.
>>
>>330288541
that was his point. microsoft really fucked up with marketing but xbone is just fine compared to wiiu and that's because the wiiu is also under-powered.
>>
Has the Wii U actually been failing? i thought it was doing fine because of Nintendo's usual thing of selling weaker consoles for a profit as opposed to Microsoft and Sony.
>>
>>330294089
They were selling them at a loss initially, I believe. MS and SONY both got in the black pretty quickly on their machines this gen as well.

You won't see what happened with PS360 ever again.
>>
Anybody who cites technical weaknesses as the reason for Wii U's poor sales is a mouth drooling idiot.
>>
>>330288108
Marketing and horrible specs that struggled to surpass the Xbox 360, which was already 7 years old when the Wii U released.

>>330293524
If the Wii U had 4 cores running at 1.6GHz it would still have the weakest CPU of the 3 consoles. The GPU is also much weaker than the PS4 at 1/5th the fillrate, and the RAM is dogshit smartphone tier in terms of speed, 64-bit memory interface, yuck.
>>
>>330294251
Even Miyamoto came out and said the CPU wasn't all that great.
>>
>>330294426
Source?
>>
>>330294251
>struggles to run 360 games
>can't even come close to running games built for PS4 / Xbox One
BUT HEY SPECS DON'T MATTER AT ALL
>>
>>330294089
the ps4 is selling 4 times as much as wiiu and almost twice as much as xbone. xbone is also outselling wiiu even though microsoft had worse marketing and it released later.
>>
>>330293919
That shiny faux-Apple look is the one selling electronic devices right now.
What you want only panders to a couple of smelly basement neckbeards like you or me.
>>
>>330294526
Yeah, cause being incapable of running 360 games and PSP games sure hurt the Wii and DS respectively.

Or not being able to run Xbox ports except horribly cutdown sure hurt the PS2.

Or not being able to run Game Gear ports hurt the Game Boy.

Absolute fucking idiot.
>>
>>330294565
Hmm. Xbone and PS4 don't seem to have any trouble selling without it.
>>
The only reason PS4 is selling is as an alternative to PC pre built boxes.

Can it even be called a console?
>>
>>330295019
A reason is a reason.
>>
>>330295019
Posts like this one show how disconnected from reality your average anon is.

People just want to play video games; a console allows them to do that with minimal hassle at a reasonable price.
PC gaming is niche and always will because the only ones who go with it are tech enthusiasts.
Your average Joe doesn't give a shit about computers, or don't need them on his / her daily live, especially in the age of smartphones and tablets. The only needs he / she needs is a plug and play machine.
>>
>>330295518
But this was exactly my point. It plays everything that a PC plays except with the ease of plug and play. It's even easier than a PC pre built.

I say it can't be called a console because it mostly has the same library as PC releases and little else. It's a better Steam Box than the real one is.
>>
>>330294863
>Yeah, cause being incapable of running 360 games sure hurt the Wii
Why was it completely dead near the end of its life?

If the Wii was so fucking great its successor wouldn't be losing to the NSA spy box. It was a toy fad that a lot of people bought into like the Furby, nothing more.
>>
File: 1654234325418.jpg (45 KB, 402x536) Image search: [Google]
1654234325418.jpg
45 KB, 402x536
>>330288108
Can't kill a still born.
>>
How much better would the hardware be without the fucking gamepad?
>>
>>330295741
>it can't be called a console because it mostly has the same library as PC releases
Wake up. Developments costs are in the tens of millions [and sometimes hundreds of millions] for AAA titles.

Putting their games on PC is a way for third parties to offer the game to 125 million Steam users.
>>
>>330288108
the name alone still makes me angry
>>
>>330295913
The fuck is that? Team reese's?
>>
>>330295768
Every console is dead at the end of its life. It's a tautology. Nintendo euthanized the machine to get ready for the next generation. The number of first party games dramatically dropped in 2011 even though Wii was still the best selling console in Christmas 2010.

And your argument about succession is moot. If the PS2 was such a big success, why did the PS3 lose Sony 3 billion dollars? Like your statement it's nonsense with no connection to the argument.
>>
That's pretty close to true.

I would also argue that the tablet wasn't as novel a gimmick as the motion controls, and there was no casual killer app like Wii Sports.

A better name/marketing strategy so people didn't think the Wii U was an expansion or a tablet for the Wii or something, plus the above, probably would've helped it perform better.
>>
>>330296191
The PS3 and 360 still received a lot of high-profile games in the final year of their lives, heck they still get new games.

Sony lost $3 billion on the PS3 because they tried to sell a $600 media box as a game machine. Despite that the Wii U will never come close to matching even half of the PS3's lifetime sales.
>>
>>330288263
>Why buy the WiiU for Call of Duty, when your 360 or PS3 can play it? You know? Of course, this is just an example. Majority of people who got a WiiU didn't buy it for CoD.
This is why the NX may not take off well. Launching a few years into this generation like the Wii U won't help.

Also, the Wii U suffered due to a lack of games. As an owner, it's a shame.
>>
>>330296496
Because Sony and Microsoft kept supporting their machines, there was no signaling about discontinuation like dropping of first party support (the lifeblood of all Nintendo console).

Porting games to Wii wasn't even a problem though. You know it got Modern Warfare 3 right?

Sony lost more billions simply trying to keep the PS3 afloat. Nintendo won't do that.
>>
>>330296646
Nintendo consoles have been suffering from a lack of games since they stop being the market leader back with the N64.

Most of the people playing on PS4/Xbone don't care about Nintendo titles at all, and if they do, it's usually just Zelda, Mario, and Smash. I don't even know if Nintendo can fix its image at this point.
>>
>>330296928

I mean, that weakness is also Nintendo's biggest strength. People who don't care about Zelda, Mario, Smash, etc. won't pick it up, but the people who do absolutely will, because you're never going to see them on any other console.

It's not a great strategy for being a market leader, but they should always be able to do business to some degree.
>>
>>330297296
Well their main problem from a market share perspective is that mobile has eaten into their handheld sales enough that the portable market can no longer do the heavy lifting if the home console isn't doing well.

So something has to give. Nintendo needs to find a way to sell more than 13 million consoles that their current audience -- children and people willing to buy more than one console -- is managing.
>>
It doesn't have enough horsepower to play third party games.

That's certainly a large reason.
>>
>>330290102
Go back to Memes 101
>>
What killed the Wii U is it having NO GAMES
>>
>>330288263
>Why buy the WiiU for Call of Duty when your 360 or PS3 can play it?

dude the Wii sold like 1 mil copies of The original modern warfare. Dont underestimate the power of consoles
>>
Nintendo consoles always sold based on the strength of their first party games. Their first party games have been awful for a while. So why buy a WiiU?
>>
>>330296924
>Because Sony and Microsoft kept supporting their machines
and so did 3rd parties, but those same 3rd parties did not continue supporting the Wii.
>>
I'd get a Wii U if it were priced at $100. That's about the most I can justify. The Wii had the same problem.
>>
>>330288108

They released it too early, handheld screen didnt do much to separate it from the wii. Was on par with last Gen consoles.

They would've been better off to make it surpass the 360 and PS3 in power and give both a standard controller and a wii controller rather than the screen. Then people could still develop games that made the wii great and games that would use a standard controller.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.