[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Splatoon's art looks way too good for a first party Nintendo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: splatoon blue callie.jpg (37 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
splatoon blue callie.jpg
37 KB, 600x600
Splatoon's art looks way too good for a first party Nintendo game, it just has this incredible pop that doesn't feel focus grouped to death like other games.
>>
>>330220886
With the exception of Splatoon and maybe two or three other games, in terms of software, Nintendo stopped being innovating decades ago. They stopped trying new things when they found a couple successful franchises and they stuck with that. Sure, it works for them, it makes their brand easily recognizable and familiar but it looks like the clock has run out and those franchises have been beat to death. I feel they haven't created anything that is a BIG new IP in so long they just don't know how to do it any more and a lot of the attempts are just them throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

They feel their brand is too prestigious. They've been riding the gravy train from their existing franchises for so long they're stuck. Given Splatoon's success though you can be sure they will be riding that train as far as they can, but I'm not sure it can ever get up there into Mario/Zelda/Kirby level.
>>
File: But that's wrong.jpg (23 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
But that's wrong.jpg
23 KB, 400x400
>>330221056
Except they both try new things and new things with their established IPS all the damn time.
>>
>>330221157
Ever wonder why none of the new things work?

>a lot of the attempts are just them throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.
>>
>>330220886
>Splatoon's art looks way too good for a first party Nintendo game
I don't really know what te hell you are talking about. Each Nintendo series has its own different and unique art style. Hell, some series like Zelda have a different art style for each new iteration. And yes, some of other games' styles are good as well, it really doesn't matter what's your opinion on them. Tropical freeze has some very good art direction for instance.
>>
>>330221157
not so much with the visuals though. After Wind Waker which is arguably the best looking Zelda game they followed up with two DS games that barely took advantage of the artstyle. The "wall mural" Link from LBW is the biggest shakeup of the zelda series art since wind waker.
>>
>>330221256
How do you think new IPs are made? Other than the actual triple A approach, which is doing nothing well and throwing statistics around to make the same fucking thing that happens to be popular at the time?

>>330221767
Except TP and SS also had their own unique style. TP being more dark and SS a lot more colorful.
>>
>>330221767
From what we've seen of Zelda U, the artstyle in that one is also a major shakeup and it looks really really good.
>>
>>330221256
>a lot of the attempts are just them throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.
As opposed to making something that's guaranteed to be a success? I thought you wanted new IPs.
>>
>>330220054
If squid girls were real I'd leave my wife.
>>
>>330222271
I'm asking them to make new IPs that are guaranteed successes like Super Mario Bros, Metroid, Star Fox, Kirby's Dream Land, and Zelda 1
>>
>>330222467
It's a bit late to make classics for the NES at this point, the market is a bit larger
>>
>>330222467
>new IPs
>guaranteed successes
Yeah, I bet that's what they or any other company ever would like, but it doesn't work like that, you know?
>>
>>330221056
Nigga what?
Nintendo has been getting tons of flack because of them changing things.

The usual complaint is that things that don't need to be changed get changed, and things that need to be changed stay the same or get reinforced.
>>
>>330222549
All it takes is genius inspiration like they had in the old days. Yet they're tapped out and can't do it.
>>
>>330222574
They change a lot of things. But they don't change their software line up. Tons and tons of sequels, new IPs are shuffled under the rug and forgotten unless it's an external studio doing it like Xenoblade.
>>
>>330222720
>But they don't change their software line up

yeah that thing that sells like hotcakes and that the competition wish they had and that retards that want them to go third party want, how silly of them to keep doing them lol!
>>
>>330222646
Creating new concepts was much easier 30 years ago when there was almost nothing on the market, you know? Splatoon ended up being such a concept, but it was in no way a guaranteed success. 'Guaranteed successes' nowadays are mostly trite focus-tested regurgitated shit (which sometimes applies to Nintendo itself such as with the NSMB series, which was a massive success despite very little imagination and innovation going into it).
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 600x510) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 600x510
>>330222467
But they did
>>
>>330222907
If you look at their actual sales only a couple IPs sell over like 3mil. There's a lot of piddly shit 1mil sellers and that much means nothing in vidya now
>>
>>330222990
Too few. Needs moar
>>
>>330223001
It means nothing for other companies who blow 300 million dollars in development and marketing, requiring ludicrous sales just to break even. Nintendo is expert at managing budget so they don't have that issue.
>>
>>330223001
>one million sales is nothing

One million sales is fucking fantastic if you don't spend nine figures to develop a game.
>>
>>330223121
Nintendo only gets off because they have brainwashed 10mil or so humans from childhood who will be highly receptive to buying their titles.
>>
>>330223180
Good luck not doing that on the NX bra, unless it's Wii U2 level hardware
>>
>>330223205
Then that means they're doubly smart.
>>
>>330223264
It's kind of boring for those of us who aren't one of those people and would like to see some new IPs
>>
>>330222222
>>
>>330223648
The fuck do you think you're doing?
>>
I always felt that when people say Nintendo should make new IPs, they mean that Nintendo themselves should actually make them.

Like outside of stuff like Splatoon, nearly all the new series owned by Nintendo are quirky second party stuff made by outside companies like The Wonderful 101, Chibi-Robo!, Dillon's Rolling Western, Custom Robo, Legendary Starfy, etc. Splatoon on the other hand is the first major character based IP to be developed from Nintendo EAD since Pikmin.
>>
>>330223262
At some point people on gaming sites need to realize sales doesn't correlate with hardware at all.
>>
>>330221056
>They stopped trying new things when they found a couple successful franchises and they stuck with that.
REMINDER
Nintendo makes new IPs every gen and is constantly trying new things, but they never sell very well.
Its not Nintendo that only cares about Mario and Zelda, its the consumer.
You yourself prove that you don't even keep an eye out for the new IPs you say they should make, don't blame Nintendo, blame yourself for only paying attention to Mario and Zelda
>>
>>330226351
You mean cost. And it really does. One can see how cheap an NES game is vs a PS4 game. It's just smaller steps in between the gen
>>
>>330226895
> don't keep an eye out for the new IP

nothing is more evident of this than Codename S.T.E.A.M's performance versus the recent Fire Emblems.
>>
>>330226895
But I do look at their new IPs and they all look like shit. S.T.E.A.M., Boopa Loopa Diver, Tomodachi Life, Wii Party, etc. All shit and most you can tell aren't even meant to go anywhere as IPs. The only issue is the same ol same ol IPs look like shit too.
>>
>>330220886
>Theres more than a few people at nintendo who make games and its not only the same few every time
WOW
WHO'D A THOUGHT?

Seriously though, big companies with cash to spare should invest in their younger dev teams more often. Just like, once a year, throw some amiibo/dlc money in a circle for a gamejam and see what bubbles to the top.
>>
>>330227446

I liked Codename STEAM more than Birthright. Then again a lot of IS game are better than Birthright but you get my point.
>>
>>330227446
Probably because STEAM is boring garbage with characters that no one gives a shit about, while Fates is a good game.
>>
File: 20160229_193951.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160229_193951.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>
>>330220886
Does anyone know the name(s) of the person(s) who keeps making Splatoon art like this? Deeply curious.
>>
>>330228061
iqdb
>>
>>330228061
it's just what's posted on the official twitter for splatfests. Given the nature of jp game development we probably won't know until a gamasutra article in 5 years.
>>
>>330226895
The same effect can be seen across tons of game series. The interesting thing about Nintendo, is that they tend to take it easy with some franchises, but go all out with others that are cheaper to produce, games like smash, kart, and zelda only come out 1 or 2 a gen, with portable zelda's coming out more often recently, they fit into the mold of other titles like mario party, the sports resort games, 2d mario (for a while there, mariomaker may end this), and Kirby games, especially for the 3DS where they are lowfi enough to print out, and people are buying them so they may as well be printing cash.
>>
>>330228061
I make some
Its that good tho
>>
I wish I could draw like Seito Inoue
>>
>>330220886
I wanna lick those armpits desu senpai.
>>
>>330228216
>>330228061
just saw something saying the game's art director was Seita Inoue, so that's probably who the artist is.
>>
>>330227883
how hard was that to clean?
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.