[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this game so overrated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9
File: A-Link-Between-Worlds-Box-Art.jpg (2 MB, 1863x1697) Image search: [Google]
A-Link-Between-Worlds-Box-Art.jpg
2 MB, 1863x1697
Why is this game so overrated?
>>
You forgot to post OoT, anon.
>>
>>330095961
First decent Zelda game in about 8 years.
>>
>>330095961
Because it of the connection to LTTP probably. Decent game, rental system was dumb though.
>>
I really liked the ice dungeon.
It wasn't particularly difficult(so standard ALBW fare) but something about it just flowed nicely.
>>
>>330096001
>being a cunt
Make your own thread.
>>330096039
>>330096047
Decent doesn't mean 10/10, but that's what everyone is implying. There's so much wrong with the game, but being a cheap cash-in is only one of the problems.
>>
>>330096039
Pretty much. Best Zelda in ages.
>>
I don't think it is. It's not perfect (it relies on ALTTP too much, the graphics are bland, the rental system is mostly a waste) but it's the best Zelda game in a very long time.
>>
>>330096219
I don't think anyone implied 10/10. I'd give it a solid 8/10
>>
>>330096219
Nah nah you misunderstand me. I personally think it's decent, that's my opinion unrelated to the thread. I'm saying people go say shit like "LTTP was the best game, and this by extension is also the best game!" because they're silly.
>>
My one month old is secretly names after her
>>
It's bretty good brah
>>
it's not link to the past
>>
>>330096219
>10/10
Show me one post where an anon said it was that good.
>>
>game nobody talks about
>overrated
>>
This game is fantastic EXCEPT the map is a rehash
why???
how hard would it have been to make a new map
why??????
>>
>>330095961
Nostalgia rush for ALttP made retards unable to see how shallow and flawed it is.
>>
>>330095961
Why do you believe your opinion is any more valid than those of others?
>>
>>330096404
>is secretly names after her
Nice grammar.
>>330096417
I don't hold ALttP on a pedestel, but at least that was an original game. I didn't get a sense of originality from ALBW or any Zelda game for a long while.
>>330096496
I can't show you, but I've encountered people on here who think I'm a retard for not loving it. Same with Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and I hold absolutely no nostalgia for that game.
>>330096539
Like I said. Low effort cash-in. Also,
>fantastic
This is what bugs me. What makes it "fantastic"? The only thing I found "fantastic" about it were the fluid controls/combat, but that's it.
>>330096663
It just is. Care to share yours?
>>
>>330097025
*absolutely no nostalgia for the original
>>
>>330095961
Because it's rare that Nintendo actually makes something that appeals to fans of the older titles nowadays.
>Link's Awakening sequel when
>>
>>330097179
15 years ago. It's called Oracle of Seasons. What needs a sequel is Zelda II.
>>
File: 1456197804141.jpg (45 KB, 599x443) Image search: [Google]
1456197804141.jpg
45 KB, 599x443
>>330097025
You could have easily made fun of me for managing to retardedly post in the wrong thread, but instead you target an obvious typo? Jesus christ grow up
>>
>>330097025
>What makes it "fantastic"?
The way the painting mechanic works is pretty smooth. It gracefully lends itself to navigation/exploration, combat, puzzles. It's a very fluid addition that gives the game a sense of freshness. The game's easy, but the puzzles are still frequently pretty clever, as are some of the boss fights.

The game is held back by its roots in being a remake of A Link to the Past, but it's still original feeling to me. I just wish the art direction wasn't so boring. I also don't think the rental system really adds much to the game. It does give the player choice, but the choices are largely meaningless since the order doesn't matter. You can get the ore a little faster if you're efficient but that's about it.
>>
>>330097287
Seriously! Expand that fucking combat.
>>
Because of muh non linearity even if it made the game piss easy
>>
>>330095961
Because it's a good videogame instead of a rollercoaster of minigames and cutscenes.
>>
>>330097357
The rental system not only doesn't add anything, but it actually subtracts a lot from the game. It completely kills the joy of exploring dungeons.
>>
>>330097458
Yeah, all those linear zelda games sure were hard mate.
>>
It has some of the best game design in the series.
Also to anyone complaining its too easy, what are you comparing it too, Zelda 1? Its as easy as any other post LTTP Zelda. This is an easy series in general.
>>
>>330097564
>It completely kills the joy of exploring dungeons.
I wouldn't go that far. I don't think it really subtracted much.
>>
>>330097561
ALBW isn't any better considering the fact that dungeons don't become progressively difficult and the reusing of an overworld we've already seen. Games like TP still had good dungeons despite the shitty flaws.
>>330097775
It did if you think about how much more difficult the game could've been if we didn't have the ability to get all items right away.
>>
>>330097704
>It has some of the best game design in the series.

>all items available from the start
>no sense of progression
>15 minute long dungeons
>dumbfuck magic meter that replaces ammo and automatically refills

If Nintendo wants to make a real open world non-linear Zelda again, they should look back at LoZ.

Ah but forgot, Aonuma dropped that game because dying to Octoroks wasn't fun.
>>
i still feel like we haven't got a perfect zelda game yet, for every game in the series it's always, this game is good but...
>>
because it reminds people of a link to the past
>>
>>330097564
Not at all. It made the dungeons have better pacing because they didn't have to have distinct pre-item and post-item phases. Dungeons still had useful things to find and good layouts.

The rental system was fine. I liked having a Zelda game with every tool available for more of the game. I think it would've been preferable to put the items in the field so they aren't all received at once, but I still appreciate what the rental system added to the game.
>>
>>330097775
It totally did. When you get to a dungeon, the first thing you think about is what will you get in it. In this game you already have most of the stuff right away because you bought it from some retard with your millions of rupees. It's boring as fuck.
>>
>>330097915
>but...
Anon, what happened? ANOOOOOOOOOOOOON, NOOOOOOOOOO!
>>
File: sOhgJ55.gif (858 KB, 320x288) Image search: [Google]
sOhgJ55.gif
858 KB, 320x288
It was essentially something Zelda fans wanted in so long, Open explorable world and freedom.

Game had its own set of flaws like the stupid rent system when you couldve just put the items in those rupee minidungeons, The recycled overworld and lackluster story, Hero mode unlocked AFTER beating the game.

But it was short sweet and very fun, it felt snappy, exploring was addictive, the OST was BRILLIANT and it was just something people had been hoping for.

Overrated, definately, but you can not say it's shit, it's something many people craved and were happy with and are mostly hoping Zelda U will follow the pros that made it good.
>>
>>330097972
if by better pacing you mean being 20 minute long, yes.
>>
>>330097972
So they're better now that they are the same all around? How?
>>
>>330098059
pretty much every zelda is overrated at this point
>>
>>330098079
Every Zelda dungeon is 20 to 30 minutes long.

>>330098080
They weren't the same. They all had distinct item requirements, puzzles, enemies, and so on.
>>
>>330097915
>i still feel like we haven't got a perfect zelda game yet
Yeah we did. Pic related.
>>
>>330097635
Explain why most of the the dungeons in the game were as hard as the deku tree in oot
>>
>>330096039
But wasn't Minish cap decent?
I know I felt just a bit underwhelmed with a link between worlds, but at least it tried to be good. I own the game still but I really have no want to replay it as I do some other Zelda games.
>>
>>330097995
I don't think so. It's not as if items and enemies still weren't varied. I agree with >>330097972 completely.
>>
>>330098268
m8 Minish Cap is 2005, 11 years ago

Last decent Zelda was PH, 9 years ago
>>
>>330097903
>dumbfuck magic meter that replaces ammo and automatically refills
Say what you want about casualisation or dumbening down, but I absolutely love this more than holding bombs and arrow or magic.

It's a controlled amount of meter that works like Stamina in a way and makes your items like the "<Magic> Hammer" understandably work with the <Magic> meter.

On the other hand, I think the Rent system was completely dumb, its punishing, maybe, but it just seemed like a dumb loss.
>>
>>330098268
I personally can't stand Minish Cap for the sole reason that they locked a heart piece behind the second worst side quest ever put into Zelda. My OCD completely killed the enjoyment of the game.

Also it was really short. Shorter than ALBW even.
>>
>>330097357
A Link Between worlds did it's main mechanic better than TP's which kind of felt like a chore at times.
>>
LOL >MUH CLASSIC ZELDA MUH MUH MUH CLASSIC SEQUEL GAMEPLAY I LOVE LTTP

FUCKING STOP
WW EXISTS
TP EXISTS
MM EXISTS

THERE ARE BETTER AND MORE THOUGHOUT ZELDA GAMES YOU FUCKING IDIOTS
>>
>>330098362
God, it feels so long ago... I still remember 4 swords adventures, that was fun.
>>
>>330097995
But you still get things from dungeons. And I find it much more rewarding since they are hidden.
>>
>>330098513
This, I liked that you could actually miss stuff. Not finding the Red Tunic was a lot more interesting than being forced through a linear progression of required items.

It wasn't as good a system as Majora's Mask's fairies, but I'll take what I can get at this point.
>>
>>330098513
>>330098596
There are optional hidden items in all Zelda games.
>>
>>330098876
It's usually something lame and barely hidden though. Skulltulas in OoT, Treasure Charts in WW, Heart Pieces in TP. ALBW had cool stuff.
>>
>>330098876
Not in every dungeon.
>>
>>330098454
None of those games are better than A Link to the Past, though.
>>
>>330099000
>OoT
Biggoron sword > Anything in ALBW.

>>330099013
You don't need them cause you already get some cool item in them, instead of going to a lame store and buying them from some gypsy.
>>
>>330099104
But the biggoron sword is part of the trading sidequest. It's not some hidden thing like the Skulltulas or fairies
>>
>>330099104
Biggoron sword wasn't in a dungeon you dolt. And no, ALBW had great field upgrades. The maiamais were a really good addition that added a lot of flexibility. I prefer being able to upgrade everything to one cool sword.
>>
>>330099238
But it is completely optional.

>>330099261
Oh, yeah, a huge fetchquest to upgrade anything sure is a great addition.
>>
>>330095961
Because it was a sequel to LttP.
It was ok but the puzzles were too easy and it was boring over all
>>
>>330099413
>a huge fetchquest to upgrade anything
Entirely optional
If thats a fetch quest to you, then what about getting rupees for anything in any Zelda?
Getting Heart Containers?
Skulltula Tokens?

It's an optional thing with rewards and the Maimais are actually pretty cute and easy to find and track on the map.

Quit looking for things to complain about and look at the real flaws, like the renting system.
>>
>>330100280
>then what about getting rupees for anything in any Zelda?
Not a fetch quest, duh.

>Getting Heart Containers?
They all are require completely different things. And you don't even need them.

>Skulltula Tokens?
Completely irrelevant. You see, the problem with the Maimais is that upgrading weapons is cool, but they are all locked behind a huge fetch quest that extends throughout the whole game. So they took something really cool and they turned it into a pain in the ass.
>>
>>330096039
lol no, it's short, lazily done and boring. Take off your nostalgia goggles.
>>
File: 1437931490338.gif (2 MB, 300x204) Image search: [Google]
1437931490338.gif
2 MB, 300x204
>>330100605
>Not a fetch quest, duh.
Semantics. You still need to earn rupees to unlock things like you would find a Maimai to unleash an upgrade.

>And you don't even need them.
You dont need upgrades. Heart Containers are essentially the same thing, Upgrades to your arsenal/character. If you're good, you don't even need more health. If getting Maimais are a pain in the ass, so are heart containers because theyre even harder to find while all Maimais are on the world map.

>Completely irrelevant
It's a complete parallel. Theyre scattered throughout the world, are even marked in the locations on your map, make noises when youre near them and keep you actively exploring and searching the areas if you want to go for the rewards.

How else would you make the Upgrades possible? Item craft a la Skyward Sword? Fuck that, The Maimais were actually adorable, were only on the overworld, there were 100 in fixed places and they were entirely optional and offered a REWARD for going out of your way to get them.

Getting them all gives you the most broken ability in the game.
>>
>>330096039
Are you implying this shit is better than TP? Good joke.
>>
File: 1434657589314.gif (1 MB, 178x177) Image search: [Google]
1434657589314.gif
1 MB, 178x177
>>330101360
>it's short
This is a bad thing how?
It doesnt overstay its welcome and dungeons don't drag on forever.
You're not fighting through long cutscenes and arcs and filler shit to progress the story arcs
>lazily done
Oh? Care to elaborate more on the development of the game, smart ass? I'd say its one of the more better designed Zeldas in some time in tightness of its mechanics and structure of it's world. Small but still addicting to explore.

>and boring
I found it very entertaining to play through, actually. The Wallsliding mechanic worked way better as a movement option than any gimmick the franchise has tried to throw in and the dungeons were quick and were constanty pushing you into new challenges. Nothing felt like an ordeal and it was digestible and stimulating to play.

I only wish Hero mode was avaliable from the beginning.
>>
>>330101517
TP is 10 years old
>>
>>330101396
>You still need to earn rupees to unlock things
Sure, but you don't need to grind them. Hell, you end up swimming in money in this game.

>Heart Containers are essentially the same thing
Not quite. Heart Containers are lame, you already get a million HP just from playing the game normally, getting 3 or 4 more doesn't change anything. Not to mention they're some metaphysical crap. At least when you get an armor your model changes, or hell, even just your color. It's something. With hearts you just get a new one. Big deal. The only reason to get them is to 100%.

>How else would you make the Upgrades possible?
Ideally, you could have both things. As I said, the problem with the Maimais is that everything is unlocked with them, so it becomes boring.

>Item craft a la Skyward Sword?
That was great, in fact, so yes, please.
>>
File: 1336655133119.png (736 KB, 970x888) Image search: [Google]
1336655133119.png
736 KB, 970x888
>>330101898
>That was great, in fact, so yes, please
Youre a funny motherfucker
>>
>>330101898
>fetch quests are boring
>apprently looking for fixed squids on the map is more boring that flying to different locations to pick up specific materials
You stepped in your own hole m8
>>
>>330102119
Stealing stuff from enemies is better than just looking for shells.
>>
>>330101898
>>Ideally, you could have both things. As I said, the problem with the Maimais is that everything is unlocked with them, so it becomes boring.
Quite the contrary in my eyes.
It only raised my interest once I saw each upgrade, finding Maimais became more of me fulfilling my own curiousity "What would happen if I upgraded this next?", "What happens if I got all 100"
>>
>>330102214
>Stealing stuff from enemies is better than just looking for shells.
Oh, so you run entirely on semantics, That makes better sense.

Fundamentally it's the same thing, only difference is, one requires you to travel across different locations to attain items from far reachs of the map from different enemies/places and can either be determined or entirely random (Chasing Tumbleweeds for example)

I'd honestly take finding cute shelled that make cute jingles whenever you find one that all leads into a potential amazing upgrade than hunting for multiple different ingredients from 3 different continents for something that MAY prove useful.

Finding Maimais is just so much faster and it felt exciting knowing theres a reward for getting them all.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.