[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Journey East
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: forest.png (345 KB, 525x306) Image search: [Google]
forest.png
345 KB, 525x306
Making a game that I hope to get Greenlit on Steam. Mechanic is you can only move East, and never walk backwards.

http://imgur.com/a/SI4dn

Thoughts?
>>
post webms
>>
Looks like shit.
If you plan to include Trading Cards, I gave a approve if you send me a steam key.
>>
>>330069030
Maybe you should spend more time making sure the outlines on your sprites don't look like trash than you did on the ridiculous looking background.

Also, a light blue and white cape for the protagonist's clothes? You're just begging to either lose him in the background or color all of your skyboxes weird as shit colors.

The super fat outline on the platforms looks good, it contrasts sharply with the watercolor style. Give your sprites that kind of outline so they blend in with the world.
>>
>>330069030
>you can only move East, and never walk backwards.
that "mechanic" is meaningless if you don't have the level designing skills to make it anything other than a gimmick. i mean, infinite runner games you can only move in one direction, and those are usually mobile tier shit.
>>
I played a flash game like that once. I think it was based on that Greek myth where the guy gets his dead girlfriend but can't look at her until they're out of the cave.
>>
File: 1452221974955.png (3 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1452221974955.png
3 KB, 320x320
Reminds me of a game from my main man Terry Cavanagh.
http://terrycavanaghgames.com/dontlookback/
>>
>>330069030
OP, you already got beat by Super Mario Bros for NES.
>>
>>330069030
>Thoughts?
character doesn't stand out enough from the background
handdrawn look is fine, you'll get a few diehard autists going 'muh artistry'

>can only travel east
so it's just old mario
hope that ins't your only hook, anon, because it sucks dick for a 2d scroller
>>
>>330069030
Stop stealing toddler drawings and pretending they're screenshots of a game you're making OP.
>>
>>330069654
>>330069119

I think I did a decent job of making things designed for east only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMFVTmjP_w&feature=youtu.be

Things to ignore:
Stages without hand drawn art
Me randomly skipping ahead
Debug numbers on top left
>>
>>330071602
wow that looks like shit. I hope don't keep that hand drawn style in the finished product.

use 8-bit or 16-bit graffix, thats all the rage now.
>>
>>330071602
give some more gravity to the dude. his jumps are basically flying at some points.
what program did you use for this? looks like the olde "Games Factory" i used to play around with 15 years ago.
>>
>>330071602
looks like something i would have made in a day on early gamemaker
keep at it anon
>>
>>330071602

sorry anon but looks terrible
>>
File: Golvellius_title.png (5 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Golvellius_title.png
5 KB, 256x192
>>330069030
So it's based on Golvellius?
>>
>>330071602
Keep trying anon.
>>
>>330071602
>I think I did a decent job of making things designed for east only.
it looks like boring mario
which is fine if you just want to know how to make things. best way is to recreate a thing, so you don't worry about what, just how.

if there were alternate paths with alternate rewards then you'd be reinforcing the east-only.
>oh look two paths lets go up
>two screens later
>no treasure up
>visible but unreachable because it's west now treasure down
>>
>>330073949
thanks man, I will take all these criticisms and try to make my game better. Thank you all for you all for your advice.

I WILL FOLLOW MY DREAMS.
>>
>>330074183
don't be such a drama queen.
>>
>>330071602

The hand drawn stuff looks terrible imo it looks like some shit a 9 year old would draw, which means your game would probably be better off not talking itself seriously, it would probably work better as some kind of comedy element or something
>>
File: 1408342492189.jpg (41 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1408342492189.jpg
41 KB, 480x640
>>330074183
That's the spirit.
>>
your mechanic is literally removing a direction in which you can walk?
this is everything wrong with indie game development
>>
Remember when shit flash games like these were free on Newgrounds?
Fuck steam for making indie """""artists"""" think their games are worth actual money.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.