[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone else like Navi? I never even thought of her as annoying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
Did anyone else like Navi? I never even thought of her as annoying until all of the Internet memes a few years later.
>>
Didn't care. She was just something that let me target and occasionally tell me where to go so I didnt consider her a character.
>>
>>330008126
>a few years later

People thought she was annoying from day 1, since there was a Zelda fanbase going back to 1988 and didn't need their handheld ten years later.
>>
>>330008485
It's been a really long time, but I don't remember seeing nearly as many "HEY LISTEN" memes on the Internet back in 1999 as I have in recent years.
>>
>>330008485
No one called Navi annoying. Hell just the opposite since Navi's whole point was to help people understand the whole idea of 3D adventure gaming in such an open world. The whole "lets make fun of Navi" thing only came up around the early to mid 2000's with Newgrounds. People nowadays just forgot what it was like back then. Remember there was no journal in the game and the map didn't really provide much context. So you had to remember everything which Nintendo felt might be a bit much. So they gave you Navi to tell you the next place to go if you spent too much time not doing the story.
>>
File: nobody ever liked navi.jpg (204 KB, 566x700) Image search: [Google]
nobody ever liked navi.jpg
204 KB, 566x700
>>330008562
>>
>>330008918
I stand corrected.
>>
>>330008908
So where was Navi in Mario 64? Banjo Kazooie? Navi in Link to the Past? Navi in Final Fantasy VI?

Ocarina of Time was a huge game that did a lot of things, yes. But in a game series about exploration and discovery, there should NEVER be a voice to in your ear to tell you what to do next.
>>
Fi is a hundred times worse than Navi.
>>
>>330009158
Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie had actual levels not open like Zelda faggot. And as I said 3D open world. ALttP and FF6 was 2D which is a much easily thing to grasp.
>>
File: Mega+Man+X5+40[1].jpg (71 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Mega+Man+X5+40[1].jpg
71 KB, 640x480
>>330009282
>2D which is a much easily thing to grasp

Clearly it isn't. Thanks Navi, no way nobody would know spikes are dangerous unless you told us.
>>
>>330008908
Holy shit you are such an apologist. I to this day cannot tolerate OoT more than an hour at a time because that stupid bitch won't shut up. I felt the same way nearly 20 years ago and Nintendo had zero reason to think that shit. There had been significantly more complex games released by then even on their own platforms that were huge hits.
>>
I do. I love the design and how its always there by link, casting a light in the darkest dungeon.
The rest of companions weren't nearly as well implemented.
>>
>>330009465
That's Capcom's fault. Nintendo is 100% fine with you falling into a pit without saying it will kill you.
>>330009579
She is there to just explain how to interact with the world at the start. Name me a game that was more complex at the time than OoT.
>>
>no problems with Navi
>OMG NAVI SO ANNOYING MEME

>no problems with the water temple
>UGH WATER TEMPLE BRB KILLING MYSELF

>no problems with Wind Waker
>LE SHIT GRAFFIX SAILING BALLS IT'S SHIT!!

>no problems with Twilight Princess
>IT SUCKS MUH WOLF MUH MIDNA

I think people just need to chill out and stop being clinically retarded when it comes to Zelda. They just hate everything all the time. It sickens me even further when they also praise games like Assassin's Creed.
>>
>>330010171
What about Skyward Sword?
>>
>>330010171
>LE SHIT GRAFFIX

Nobody was saying this when Wind Waker actually came out. The graphics got unanimous praise by the time people actually played it.
>>
>>330008126
I absolutely hate every meme around OoT

>le navi is so annoying lel xD
>water temple so hard omg >_<
>OoT best game to ever exist!!!11

I'm so tired of that shit.
>>
>>330010171
Water Temple is annoying because of how you had to keep going into the menu to put on and remove the iron boots which just gets really annoying. Also if you happen to fuck up at any point with the water you had to redo the whole thing.

TP is bad personally since it's Nintendo trying to be dark and gritty in a really obvious way. MM at least was more subtle in its deliverance.
>>
>>330010171
I really hate the water temple everytime I get to a water level in Zelda I always get annoyed.
>>
File: Z1_Link.jpg (77 KB, 300x517) Image search: [Google]
Z1_Link.jpg
77 KB, 300x517
>>330008243

This, I never understood the "Navi is annoying" meme. Maybe most other kids back then were just really impatient
>>
>>330010276
It was okay. Pretty good at times, even.
Definitely not the "irredeemable gutter shit" that you constantly hear people saying.
>>
>>330010171

The water temple was annoying back then, its not even hard but the fact that you had to switch up the water levels a bunch of times without actually knowing what to do or where to go was a pain in the ass.

And then this fucker came to school saying he beat it super fast and had no problems at all, seriously fuck you smartass.
>>
>>330010479

Fortunately the 3DS remake lets you on/off toggle those boots on the touch screen, you don't have to fucking pause every time.

Which makes me wonder, why back then they couldn't have thought of making the iron boots, or perhaps some sort of anchor into a C-item, just like those sidequest masks in MM
>>
>>330010561
Yeah she usually just gave a subtle hint on what to do next, not like Fi that tells you everything you have to do.

I liked her, and think more games should have something like her that gives you hints.
>>
>>330010561
Impatient has nothing to do with getting annoyed at hearing "Listen" "hey" "listen" every minute.
>>
>>330010512

I recently finished the water dungeon in Twilight Princess HD, I played the original TP so long ago, and I hardly remember anything.

It was a way worse experience than any Water Temple run I've ever had.
>>
File: latest[1].png (309 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
309 KB, 638x479
>>330010738
More Zelda games should have an option to turn OFF hints if the player chooses.

Even Metroid Prime did that.
>>
>>330008126
I loved her.
She sounded cute and I liked how she always keep her cool to deliver short and concise facts.
Having to deal with that bitch fairy in MM broke my heart, but then I got to know her better.
>>
>>330010785
Bit that never happens. Why making such an hyperbole about her role in the game. Every time you start the game you get a reminder of what to do and she only truly speaks to you when you target an enemy.
>>
>>330010171
Water temple is legitimately a thing to complain about. It's not particularily hard (lmao you are playing a zelda game faggot), but it's just tedious as fuck.
>>
>>330010918
>that never happens
>she only speaks when you target an enemy

So it always happens?
>>
I liked Tatl, or whatever the one in MM was called.
>>
>>330008126
>voiced by Kaori Mizuhashi
>annoying
How to spot a shiteater.
>>
>>330010979
She only ever says "watch out" and "look" when you target an enemy. Come on, anon.
>>
>>330010710
The reason the Masks in MM was put on the C-buttons was because of people's complaints over having to pause.

They most likely thought that it wasn't that bad since it was only for one dungeon. Happens sometimes where an obvious flaw slips into a game and the sequel fixes it.
>>
I could literally listen to her quips on loop for hours. They're so cute.
>>
>>330010710
I don't remember who said it, but one of the lead programmers in OoT said his biggest regret about that game was that they didn't make the boots a C-button item.
>>
Never really saw her as a "character"
>>
>>330011486
Her personally only really was shown at the start of the game and the end. Where she is annoyed you are just a lazy kid and at the end where she talks about never leaving your side when fighting Ganon.
>>
>>330011486
She isn't, she's more like a tool/helper. She only has a couple of lines in the story itself, and everything else is just to help you.
>>
>>330011027
Tatl's proof that Navi being annoying isn't just "a meme". If Navi wasn't annoying, Tatl would have voice clips too instead of being a bike bell. If Navi wasn't annoying, the hint rock in WW wouldn't be so rarely used.

But she was, so these things improved on how she was handled.

It didn't get bad again until Fi, who was in a game made by the same guy who did Minish Cap...and you notice how forced and awful all the talking hat's messages are, and you realize he prefers his hints obnoxious like that.
>>
>>330008126
I never once found Navi annoying. At least she never paused the game and forced me to read her text.

>>330010171
Because the Zelda series is the ultimate normie gaymur grill cancer, and most of the retards forcing the memes haven't even played the damn game.
>>
far less annoying than that stupid bug ronin in Okami. above all, they are just helper characters. almost every RPG or action/adventure has and needs them.
>>
>>330011703
I'm probably in the minority here but I thought Minish Cap was really boring and dull, I couldn't even finish it. I guess the kinstones were a nice mechanic even though I never used them.
>>
>>330008126
oh man, I remember that artwork in the Nintendo Magazin back in the day. I was so hyped for that fucking game as a kid.
>>
>>330011703
It's still definitely a meme, but it is interesting how the Zelda team listens to fan feedback in subtle ways like that.

Aonuma STILL to this day feels bad about the Water Temple in OoT.
>>
File: 1452092171420.jpg (102 KB, 682x600) Image search: [Google]
1452092171420.jpg
102 KB, 682x600
>>330010929
>"It's just tedious as fuck"
>Didn't read the title of the game he was playing
>>
>>330008126
I've never found her annoying, after the Kokiri Forest if you don't press ↑C, she won't bother you.
>>
NO PANTS
>>
File: image.gif (144 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
144 KB, 640x480
>there are people on /v/ right now who consider GLaDOS voice attractive while find Navi's voice annoying
>>
>>330008485
>didn't need their handheld ten years later
Oh yeah, let's have this argument again for the 330th time! This time we'll have a clear winner!
>>
>>330011703
As been stated Navi was there to help players understand the idea of 3D adventure gaming in an open world. MM was 2 years after OoT so players by that point had a better understanding so Nintendo eased up on things. And by WW by more or less felt the gloves could come off (also Red Lion was WW Navi).
>>
>>330011869
Nintendo has a weird mindset where every game they make should be timeless and as perfect as you can get. So when glaring issues like the Water Temple happens they feel bad they fucked up that badly. The final 3/4 of WW and the Triforce part was another I feel they knew they fucked up on.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.