[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is /v/ so nostalgic? You all don't seem to like an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: GTA_San_Andreas_Box_Art.jpg (342 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
GTA_San_Andreas_Box_Art.jpg
342 KB, 640x800
Why is /v/ so nostalgic?

You all don't seem to like anything made after the sixth generation?

http://strawpoll.me/7004058/
>>
>>329908756
SA is the series high point IMO. 4 had some gameplay improvements but stuff like driving sucked. V was totally over hyped but it's still fun.
>>
>>329909207
This.
>>
>>329909207
>driving sucked

4 was too unresponsive. 5 was too responsive. They missed the middle.

Reminds me of Zelda. Each game gta overcompensates trying to fan service.
>>
>>329909207
This. Only thing missing in sa is a good cover system and climbing ladders.
>>
>>329909207
>driving sucked
here we go again
>>
>>329908756
San Andreas had multiple things to do for fun. GTAV's streets were desolate on the PS3.
>>
>SA
>all those cheat codes
>get gameshark
>play for days on end nonstop

>V
>barely any cheats
>god mode only lasts 5 minutes until you have to reenter it

Into the trash.
>>
SA had more to do but VC was by far the best setting.

Plus the first third of SA is just tutorial/nigger missions
>>
>>329910119
>cover systems
No thanks. Crouching is all a GTA needs.
>>
>>329911771
Nigger missions are amazing you dumb nigger

>Great chemistry between the grove street characters
>Starting from nothing and turning your set into the dominant gang in Los Santos
>>
>EY CARL GO BUY YO SELF SOME BEERS
>$400
>>
File: 1452790099819.jpg (87 KB, 859x718) Image search: [Google]
1452790099819.jpg
87 KB, 859x718
>>329916042

>GTA III
>spend a minute picking up Misty from the hospital
>$1500
>>
>>329917047
>drive off a ramp
>$100 materialize out of nowhere
>>
>>329909664
>5 was too responsive
>too responsive
>the car does what you tell it to too well
What?
>>
>>329908756
Old things good, new things bad.

The world was literally perfect when I was twelve.

Everyone born after me is a moron.

Me me me me me.
>>
File: Huh Huh.gif (3 MB, 260x269) Image search: [Google]
Huh Huh.gif
3 MB, 260x269
>Other having more votes than Grand Theft Auto 3
Did you guys forgot how awesome GTA 3 was upon launch? And how it blew your mind with its open-world sandbox gameplay? It was the best game ever when it came out. That's fine if you like other GTAs more, but holy shit, it's depressing to see one of the greatest games ever made riding so low in this poll.

You could argue the other GTAs are "better" than GTA 3, but when it comes to all-time greatest games, Grand Theft Auto III is a candidate for number 1, while its brethren aren't even in the top 50.
>>
File: 1379862294881.jpg (114 KB, 528x813) Image search: [Google]
1379862294881.jpg
114 KB, 528x813
I have no idea why /v/ is so lukewarm towards V. Grew up with III - SA, SA being one of my all time favourites, and V sits right next to it now.

Both have some small advantages over the other but both are fucking fantastic and have basically no major issues (counting single player only here, GTAO definitely has major issues).
>>
We're just disenfranchised. It's plain to see that the industry is severely fucked up, but for all the faggotry that goes on with /v/ we're the only ones talking sense. Some of the time.
It's why I keep coming back. Makes me feel like my beloved pastime isn't completely wrecked.
>>
>>329919658
Most influential/innovative and greatest are two different things.

GTA3 is the most influential GTA game.

San Andreas is the greatest GTA game. It perfected the formula, had the best gameplay, and had a memorable cast/story and a memorable map.
The reason no future GTA game will surpass San Andreas is because the maps aren't memorable at all. If they didn't include a GPS, no one would ever be able to get around their cities. It's "realistic", but realism and good game design don't go hand-in-hand in this case.
>>
>>329920031
This. Plus 4chan is the only place that understands the brilliance of games like Dark Souls. But to be fair, they're dropping the ball on this straw poll.
>>
>>329908756
SA > 5 > VC > 3 > 4
>>
>>329908756
>vicefags rekt beyond belief

holy shit haha that must hurt
>>
>>329908756
I wish more people appreciated GTA II, and would bring back the gang system from that game, or entirely remake it in 3D.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
25 KB, 480x360
OP, when I walked into a game store during the 6th I saw titles I wanted to play across all systems, and honestly game stores looked a lot better back then as well.

>walls of games
>walls of magazines
>system specific magazines
>walls of strategy guides

Now I walk into a game store and I see

>NOT VIDYA
>NOT VIDYA T SHIRTS
>Fucko POP
>Game covers are all MAN WALKING TOWARDS OR AWAY FROM THE VIEWER
>all the same exact games across all platforms
>people who don't play games trying to sell me a season pass

take me back pls
>>
>>329920371
>Most influential/innovative and greatest are two different things.
I disagree. One could argue San Andreas is not the best GTA game, but no one could argue GTA 3 was the most important.
>>
What does nostalgia have to do with it, here's some fucking facts:

San Andreas has a jetpack
The other games don't
>>
>>329920834
>Fucko POP
Even worse than Amiibo/Skylanders imo. At least those are kinda vidya
>>
>>329920371
Grand Theft Auto III was the biggest game of 2001. San Andreas didn't even rule its respected year; Half-Life 2 did.
>>
File: Ryder.jpg (26 KB, 450x330) Image search: [Google]
Ryder.jpg
26 KB, 450x330
>people unironically jump on vice citys dick

tiny map, boring as fuck protagonist, shit story, awful shitty orange lens flare for literally 1/3 of the game 24 hour cycle

>b-but muh soundtrack and muh 80s atmosphere xD

only good thing about VC was the properties, and im still surprised it hasnt been bettered in subsequent titles
>>
>>329921208
San Andreas was the best-selling game in the PS2's history by over ten million copies.
>>
>>329921390
>San Andreas was the best-selling game in the PS2's history by over ten million copies.
By your logic, Mario Kart Wii is one of the greatest games ever made. And so is Wii Sports Resort.
>>
>>329921552
I don't understand how you go from this >>329921208 to this >>329921552 .
I don't even know what you're arguing any more.
>>
>>329918239
>Going 120 mph
>slide in between people and cars hitting nothing
>turns and a good on a dime
>never miss corners or really wreck

It's too responsive. 4 was slow sloppy you couldn't turn down a street without crashing into shit. With 5 it's just too easy. Too much control.
>>
So there are people really like V? For real? Man, the industry is so fucking lucky the jews dumbed down the entire world so that people are THIS easily entertained.

I remember how my friend was so excited about the fact that were no closed bridges this time, and he could "roam" all over the map from the start

and then it turned out to be a meaningless and barely interactive setpiece
>>
>>329920834
If game stop is how you measure your enjoyment of video games you need a new hobby
>>
>>329921675
>You think biggest game means best selling game
That's where you went wrong. Biggest game, as in, terms of impact that it had. The gaming world came to a screeching halt when GTA 3 came out. Everyone forgot about Tony Hawk, Pokemon, etc. They wanted more open-world sandbox games. San Andreas was just another GTA game, while Half-Life 2 became the new industry standard; still arguably unsurpassed.

So you see, your claims of San Andreas definitely being the "greatest" is not a fact.
>>
>>329921552
It destroys mk u
>>
>>329922161
I already said greatest and most influential are two different things. Greatest is subjective.
>>
>>329921318
the talk radio was top tier too
>>
>>329922365
>Greatest is subjective.
Best is also subjective. But most influential is not. Therefore, since San Andreas can't be proven as the "best" GTA game, because it's subjective, GTA 3 is the winner because of its massive impact.
>>
>>329922601
>Last place in the strawpoll
:^)
>>
>>329919718
I like V but it feels incomplete. The story just fizzles out, there is a complete lack of interiors/interactive things, and many locations just don't seem to get used. I feel like the multiplayer is to blame for that though.
>>
>>329922814
>Last place in the strawpoll
Doesn't prove anything. Out of arguments I see.
>>
>>329921967
it was how I measured part the generation

on the gameplay side of things

>yearly rehashes
>DAY ONE 30GB Patches
>broken at launch
>retarded reviewers
>paid reviews
>maybe 3 games im excited for every year
>>
It's really close between 3, VC and SA for me, but I voted for VC. It wins by the smallest fucking margin for me though.

V was okay but nothing like those 3.
>>
>>329922967
Because we're arguing different things. It's like I say that the sky is blue and you argue it's not because it's mostly nitrogen. We're saying completely different things.
>>
>>329921895
>biggest map in the GTA series
>70% taken up by featureless hills

If you weren't deliberately trying to explore you would have no reason to visit the entire south eastern portion of the map because there is literally nothing there.
>>
>>329923110
>>yearly rehashes
Don't buy shit games
>>DAY ONE 30GB Patches
Don't buy shit games
>>broken at launch
Don't buy shit games
>>retarded reviewers
Don't care what others say. Play the games you like
>>paid reviews
Don't care what others say. Play the games you like
>>maybe 3 games im excited for every year
I think you are being too critical. I'm as bitter,old school as they come. You must be an adult to be remembering the good old days. So you should have enough money to get two gaming systems. Three are more than three a year if you own two devices. And being an adult you work, have friends, girlfriends and other hobbies. Of not, change that. If so, five, six good video games should be plenty.
>>
>>329921318
>and im still surprised it hasnt been bettered in subsequent titles
Definitely was expecting more from GTA V with this. Also with the whole Vice City cocksucking stuff, I think you're a bit harsh on the things you listed, senpai. I won't argue against GTA SA being top fucking dog, but Vice City isn't that tier of shit.
>>
>San Andreas with almost half the votes

Why? The music is shit. The graphics are bad. The controls are bad. The map is small. And even with the map being small, there is nothing to do
>>
File: SHHHHHHHHH.jpg (44 KB, 360x503) Image search: [Google]
SHHHHHHHHH.jpg
44 KB, 360x503
>>329924730
>>
san andreas it added new things to the series.
>>
File: Brad.jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Brad.jpg
9 KB, 480x360
CAN YOU FEEEELL IIITTTTTTTTTTTTTT

https://youtu.be/N04mX-Zyr1U?t=23m56s
>>
>>329925757
Every game adds new things. So that means 5 is best by your logic
>>
>>329921390
Actually, I'm pretty sure San Andreas ruled its year.
>>
>>329926778
V really didn't add shit to GTA, it only brought back some stuff that IV omitted but also dumbed down everything that IV added to the series while still being worlds away from being as good as SA. V is the worst GTA.
>>
>>329926907
What year? 2004? I was too busy playing Snake Eater and Halo 2 to notice it. But to be fair, Half-Life 2 was king of 2004.
>>
>>329921895

I like the online. Didn't even finish single player
>>
>>329927892
>I was too busy playing Snake Eater
Well, so was I to be honest.
>>
So can we talk about how online ruins the chance of single player dlc in V

>no heist dlc
>lowriders are stuck in shark card simulator 2.0
>a fucking revolver is online only
>>
>tfw the game music gets overshadowed by talk of the radio soundtrack.

This really is the shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqE8M2ZnFL8
>>
>>329928552
The Soviet Connection is probably the best GTA theme. I loved GTA IV's radio, but I can definitely see why people would shit on it.
>>
>>329909207
I loved the driving from 4. It was less arcadeish than 3 and took a little bit of work to get better at.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.