[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just remembered that I bought X Universe pack during the Christmas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: x_universe_style_id_by_xna.jpg (169 KB, 600x960) Image search: [Google]
x_universe_style_id_by_xna.jpg
169 KB, 600x960
Just remembered that I bought X Universe pack during the Christmas sale.

Which one should I play? I've got 7 of them.

X Rebirth?
X3 Albion Prelude?

Also, I just checked - why is X Rebirth panned by the critics? Is it that bad?

I just wanted my Space Rangers fix...
>>
>>329906330
X rebirth after last updates (3.0 and 4.0) is ok finally.
>>
>>329906491
Any mods I should install?
>>
>>329906330
X Stillbirth was pretty fundamentally broken upon launch. Me and all the people I knew who were looking forward to it were expecting a broken, unplayable mess and were still let down, let that sink it. I've heard some people say it's alright now, but most of the fanbase is still turned off, moreso than every other game Egosoft released that was literally unplayable on launch.

Regardless, Rebirth is kind of a different thing to the original games. Start with Albion Prelude, or maybe Terran Conflict to get a feel for things without the dumb war mechanic. Not really much purpose in playing the older games unless for some godforsaken reason you actually play the story; they're all pretty much straight mechanical upgrades to the previous games.
>>
>>329906330
I really did not like the idea of the "Your in one ship only" idea for Rebirth.

I'd go with Albion Prelude.

I wish the developers would just expand on X3 since it's a model that works rather than trying to make something new. I would also like to see them start hiring some of their mod community, since the mod community is better than the development team.
>>
>>329906546
i dont play too much in rebirth and i dont use mods.
But to Terran conflict and albion i used

>500km comm
>Dynamic Product Pricing
>Blacklist Manager
>Upgrade Kits
>Factory Complex Constructor
>>
>>329906330
X3 : Terran Conflict has the tutorials necessaries to make you understand what you're doing
X3 : Albion Prelude requires you to know your way around

X Rebirth was a complete stepback over X3. That's why it's shunned as an abomination.
>>
>>329906680
>I wish the developers would just expand on X3 since it's a model that works rather than trying to make something new.
Anon, they had been doing exactly that for over a decade by that point. It had run it's course and really reached about as far as it could go.

It needed an actually different game, it's just that it needed a good one and not a butchered failed console game.
>>
>>329906330
Rebirth is pretty good now. You're still only able to pilot one ship but to blast devs about that is absurd because they said from the start that you're going to be in the Skunk for the whole game.

And I have to give kudos for the devs for sticking with it despite how much they got panned for it at launch. Other devs would have just done a rerelease to get a clean slate with reviews but they soldiered on. The steam rating will never recover but anyone that's actually interested in the series would know to look at the expansion reviews and not the base game.
>>
>>329906330
X3 Albion Prelude

Rebirth was and still is a fucking disaster.
>>
So what game should I play after all? I don't want to skim through all 7 of them.

Which one should I focus on?
>>
>>329906546
>>329906685

SilenceYouAll is a must.
>>
>>329909132
If you Rebirth. It's meant as a reboot of sorts anyway so it actually eases you into the game unlike the later ones that mostly just dump everything on you aside from a minor tutorial.

Also get a mod to make your co-pilot look less like a potato.
>>
>>329906491
Only if you have the dlc. And even then, it's "ok".
>>329906330
Albion Prelude
>>
File: asccsa.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
asccsa.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
Ok Op, good taste for picking this franchise, but you should know:

This franchise is the biggest economy and logistics simulator ive ever seen, so as it is deep(in what you can do) it is also unforgiving in its learning curve, you will have to endure it, but trust me, endure it and it will be worth of ur while.

First of all I suggest you three things, 1- this guys channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3A3qanxwy8&list=PL2BC4835802365FF1&index=3

2- The x3 AP for dummies pdf(to learn about the ship classes)

3- This map : http://x3ap-eng.x3tc.net/x3_albion_prelude_map/

You will notice that MOST of the guides on the suggest you to beggin as the humble merchant, do it, begin small, buy cheap selling expensive, make your money, buy more ships learn to remotely control then, make then do you job. After that, and ONLY after that, begin learning about combat, forget about the "story" missions until you have a nice economy and millions of credits.

Take it slow, take your time, read, look for stuff on the net, one step at a time, first learn how to trade, then how to automate it, then how to build complexes and their logistics(Use an online calculator) then go for ur military units(and their logistics, how to supply then etc)

And last but not least... EXPLORE if you are going to begin as the merchant, EXPLORE, DEPLOY SATELITES increase ur influence area so you have more markets to buy and sell.

Remember one step at a time or you will be overwhelmed.

Good luck and have fun.
>>
>>329910651

*correction: "buy more ships and learn to control them."
>>
>>329906491
Oh really? Can you explain why? Seriously X:R is the only game I preordered because I thought egosoft could do no wrong. Saw the 4.0 update recently and kinda just wrote it off. Whats changed?

>>329906546
its not mods that you dl when it coems to X3ap, its scripts, and you can download as many as you want theres so many of them that do so many different things to improve gameplay and QOL its impossible to narrow down. The actual BIG mods in X3ap that are popular are Litcubes Universe and XRM. If you have a monster PC I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend XRM. Nothing like flying into a zone with 100 capitol ships and carriers with their fighter complements from 4 diff factions duking it out in a battlefield of blasted out space stations and orbital gun platforms.
>>
>>329910651

Sorry for the spam, but you should go to X3 Albion Prelude, the rebith may be good after so many patches , but, altough I havent played it, X3 AP seems more... deep and rewarding.
>>
X2 and X3:R for the lore, then move to albion prelude for the economy
>>
From what I read, X3 Reunion was initially called X2 The Return but ended up creating a new engine for it. They should have done the same with Rebirth.
>>
>>329910916
oh you know what there IS one mandatory script you need though, Litcubes bounce script. It prevents all collisions with asteroids/ships from using 1000x SETA (you'll know what that is when you start the game).

Also you may want to look up a guide. The game is by no means difficult but theres a LOT of shit to know and the game doesn't hold your hand. The documentation and tutorial are really poor and do not prepare you at all for the tools/ship equipment you need to play the game/complete the missions.

Also DON'T take missions early game, you very likely don't have the equipment to complete it. (things like a hyperdrive, passenger life support system, docking computer)
>>
>>329910651
What about mods/scripts? Any packs I should know of? Maybe some kind dude made "all in one" pack of mods/scripts for me.

Also, AP or Rebirth? Can't decide.
>>
>>329911194
Ap. Rebirth should be avoided
>>
>>329911194
there is no one all in one pack of scripts. there is "all in one" mods but they do not have the ridiculous amount of features you can get from scripts. Luckily most scripts work WITH mods because they edit 2 seperate things. The best version of XRM are personally tailored mixes of mods/scripts that a player wants to play with. I wish I could give you my script list that I used to perfect XRM to how I wanted it but its long gone and had too many scripts too count. Once you know hwo to find and install them you can really get lost in doing so. And there are a LOT that do almost everything, from setting up automated defenses to your ships so you aren't constanlty micromanaging or losing ships to pirates, to making factory construction easier.

You can start looking through them here
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216690

but like I suggested if you don't wanna go through all taht trouble, I'd just recommend Litcube's universe or XRM if you have a beast computer + Litcubes Bounce script so you dont die to BS collisions.
>>
File: 1457275119850.png (156 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1457275119850.png
156 KB, 270x270
>start new game
>unholy traitor
>difficulty: just a bit hard.
>mfw
>>
>>329911194
TC.
TC and AP are perfectly playable vanilla, though, and it's probably best to start there.
>>
>>329911689
also you won't even understand what the scripts in there do until youve played and understood the game a bit so yeah, may want to hold off on researching scripts until you've even made up your mind that the game is worht playing.
>>
File: ffgew.jpg (31 KB, 226x166) Image search: [Google]
ffgew.jpg
31 KB, 226x166
>>329911194

As I said in another post, go for X3AP imo.

AS for mods and scripts, I will own you that info, they disable the achievements, and I begun to play this game at the end of january, so I only manage to cover the entire game without mods.

Now that I´ve managed to get most of the archievs and kinda "finished" the vanilla game, I was going to look for some mods, although I dont think I will play these one in all pack of mods, the learning curve, as I said, was pretty brutal, dont want to learn most of the things again, but some utility mods(like the repair laser, you will want that as well, trust me) are kinda welcome.

I suggest you learn the game without any big overhaul mods first(only use some small-increase-life-quality ones if you dont care about archievs) then go for the "remaking" mods. But as I said, trust me, the vanilla game alone will get a lot of your time.
>>
>>329912029
I think I'll just go with AP bonus package for now. Like you said, I have no idea what I should be looking for.
>>
File: 1291843078540.jpg (2 KB, 123x126) Image search: [Google]
1291843078540.jpg
2 KB, 123x126
Thank you guys for all the wonderful answers! I'll try my hand at this game now. Wish me luck.
>>
>>329906901
id still pay for an updated x3 with better pathfinding, a few mods baked in and a less clunky UI.

rebirth threw the baby out with the bathwater.
>>
>>329913701
But that's exactly what Terran Conflict was.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.