[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for a decent timesink, will Destiny do? If not,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: Destiny-TTK-750x400.jpg (85 KB, 750x400) Image search: [Google]
Destiny-TTK-750x400.jpg
85 KB, 750x400
I'm looking for a decent timesink, will Destiny do? If not, what else is good to keep me occupied for some time? Keep in mind that I don't have any friends to play with.
>>
>>329905813
what console?
>>
>>329905906
PS4 my man
>>
>>329905961
if you're looking for a mindless timesink then get Destiny, keep in mind that it's a very addicting game despite not being a good one. but ps4 surely has better games to invest your time into. have you by chanced played bloodborne?
>>
>>329906225
>but ps4 surely has better games to invest your time into.
I'm open to suggestions, I genuinly can't think of many PS4 exclusive games to play.
>have you by chanced played bloodborne?
Yeah, I've been playing mostly that since I got it. I hate to admit it, but the "$400 Netflix/Bloodborne machine" might be closer to the truth than I'd like
>>
>>329906352
what genre of game do you fancy most? what other ps4 games may you already own? do you have interest in the upcoming no man's sky?
>>
>>329905813
destiny will do, you literally only need friends if you want to do the raid regularly, there plenty else to run around mindlessly shootan in the meantime
>>
>>329905813
The Division comes out this week, did you try the beta?
>>
>>329907065
I'm open to anything, except for driving games. I only have Bloodborne, The Last of Us and Infamous. Bloodborne's been taking most of my time.
Yeah I'm interested in No Man's Sky but I fear like it might get boring too quickly. What do you think?
>>329907170
Nice man, thanks for the insight.
>>329907234
I'm pondering getting The Division too but no, I had no chance to try the beta. I'm also not sure about the content, there's a bunch of DLC for it coming out this year and I'm not too fond of that. At least with The Taken King I get a full package.
>>
>>329905813
Warframe is one of the greatest timesinks ever.
>>
>>329907475
Eh, I tried it on PC and I wasn't too fond of it. I'll keep it in mind though, maybe I'll give it another shot.
>>
I kinda wish they'd add an option to choose which units deploy where at the start of a fight.
>>
File: edf41.jpg (83 KB, 405x500) Image search: [Google]
edf41.jpg
83 KB, 405x500
If you had PS+ last month, you could have gotten Helldivers and Gauntlet for "free", both pretty good games. Though that option isn't available anymore, I'd say Helldivers is worth it.

Helldivers has the timesink of doing missions with increasing difficulty to unlock more stuff and the ever present effort of pushing back three different enemy factions, every player contributing their bit to the cause. Though you could technically do most difficulty levels solo, the highest difficulties almost certainly require a team of four players.

Another timesink that can get really hectic, has the option of grinding for super powerful weapons and about 90 missions with four difficulties each, EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 4.1
>>
>>329907831
I got Helldivers but I find it pretty bad without anyone to play with and like I said, I have no friends who own a PS4. It does seem like a great game for coop.
I've been wondering about EDF, is it actually a good series?
>>
File: Ass.jpg (111 KB, 482x731) Image search: [Google]
Ass.jpg
111 KB, 482x731
>>329905813
Don't listen to the cholos here, I got the taken king legendary edition to try the game and it was fun .

It has a huge campaign mode, pvp that now doesn't lag at all (used to be pretty bad) and some surprisingly cool dungeons/raids. I like that there are clear ways to improve your gear no matter what you do; i've probably spent 75% o my playtime in crucible. The weapons all feel different and the gunplay is tight. If you like halo it really feels like a bigger better halo game but with dungeons and gear.
>>
>>329905813
Honestly, don't get it. The game isn't worth playing in it's current state

>Literally RNG worse than MMOs and Monster Hunter combined
>Worst PvP across any available platform due to awful weapons balance, awful spawning system, Warlock bias from Bungie, and abysmal maps
>Endgame PvE content is just grinding the same Raid over and over and over and over and over hoping to get blessed by the game's shit RNG
>There is no way in-game to get into Raid groups, if you don't have 5 other friends who play this game you'll have to go to 3rd party sites filled with autistic 12 year olds and general retards
>Bungie refuses to fix any of the communities complaints with the game yet always says "they're listening"
>All old expansion content was literally made useless with The Taken King, fucking over anyone who actually paid money for the previous expansions.

Just don't buy it, or at least wait until Bungie releases the new expansion and see if they fix anything
>>
>>329905813
Destiny is 10/10 if money isn't an issue for you
>>
>>329908391
>>329908510
Well shit.
>>329908540
I have some spare cash, if that's what you mean. I'm not one to make an uninformed purchase though, thus the thread.
>>
>>329905813
do you like borderlands? it is same but doesn't try to be funny
>>
>>329908391
Are you fucking kidding!? The lag is worse than its ever been. It's honestly unplayable now.
>>
>>329908679
I'd just avoid it entirely, you'll have fun for the first week or so, but then soon realize how shit the game is, how so much of it's "content" is just fucking RNG. Grinding the same monotonous Strikes and Raids just hoping that the RNG blesses you just once.
>>
File: New years.jpg (56 KB, 448x751) Image search: [Google]
New years.jpg
56 KB, 448x751
>>329908894
They changed the matchmaking to take connection speed into account instead of just mmr recently.

I have found it demonstrably better. Whereas half the people in game used to die ~2 seconds after I melee'd them out now it only happens once in a while with what I assume is a huehue who managed to slip in.
>>
>>329909330
The game has always had both sbmm and cbmm since inception but they've swung real hard into sbmm as of three months ago. They've slightly walked it back last week in a few modes but it's still awful.

You won't notice as bad if you're terrible at the game but people above the median really suffer. I have a top 5% kdr, playtime and kills and my connections often range between 250ms and 400ms. Sometimes they're even worse.
>>
I played all through year one. I couldnt stand not just my weapons and gear not being the best, but being actually weaker. Like normal dudes took more time to kill because of dlc release instead of dlc guys being just stronger. I couldnt do the time sink for another year.
My wife called it Halo Ultimate online and i would agree. Its the game that bungie wanted to make for years
>>
I wouldn't play it without friends, I bought TTK and the grind to get to the light level my friends are at is boring even with the eventual payoff of eventually being able to do the same strikes I've already been doing but with friends, can't imagine just doing everything solo.
>>
>>329905813
no friends? then don't get destiny. Get Mountain Dew Valley
>>
>>329910031
Where are you playing, turdistan?

Anyways my elitist friend, there is no perceptible difference between the multiplayer in this game vs any other online console shooter. I had stopped playing for months because crucible was so goddamn awful and i've been having blast ever since the improvements.
>>
Get Warframe. It's F2P/P2W but it's a decent time sink.

Or get DCUO that's free
>>
Watch out with Destiny man. It's very boring just by yourself
>>
>>329910712
>implying Crucible isn't beyond dogshit right now
>>
>>329910745
Probably the best answer. Get into it for free. Get good for money.
>>
>>329910712
I play from Japan with a 75mbps download and 80 upload and 6 ping to Tokyo from Osaka.

100 ping to NYC on Rocket League and Dark Souls, 400 on Destiny. The online is uniquely bad. Though to be fair I don't play other fps like CoD that you might be comparing it to. I wasn't a kid when Halo came out so I don't have any forgiving pomp for Bungie like a lot of the fans do.
>>
>>329905813
Did you like Marathon/Halo/Bungie in the 90s / early 2000s? Do you have 2 friends to play with? Did you like early WoW or similar MMOs at the time?

If the answer is yes to all 3, then for sure, give it a shot. The only one there that I think is really critical is having 2 friends... it really isn't as good played solo. That's why there's 3 class types and 3 players max, it WANTS you to play in a group of 3.

I played it on PS3 originally and then got The Taken King on PS4, but haven't played that yet. I've been meaning to but unfortunately I don't really have much time these days.
>>
Maybe once a patch drops to deliver some content, although I suppose now is a good time to learn the game. The problem is the end game activity is almost completely dried up except for hardmode raids, and even then it's just one raid at the level cap. If they kept pumping out raids you'd have a great game, but that isn't what happened. You might still get a thrill or two out of it, but if you're looking for another skinner box, the Division is dropping soon and it will have a shit-ton of people so it should be good (until it inevitably turns to shit).
>>
>>329908510
As someone who has a platinum trophy and damn near 700 hours in Destiny vanilla and TTK, I can attest to this post.

Destiny isn't necessarily a terrible game, but the RNG is the most frustrating bullshit I've seen in any RNG-heavy game period. We're talking everyone getting the exact same raid drops every week for 3 weeks, getting 10 of the same exotic in a row, and one poor sap investing over 1000 hours to get Gjallarhorn, a weapon that everyone either had 5 of or could never get to drop. My Destiny raid group were all convinced the RNG was rigged before we quit. I have worse stories, but they won't make sense unless you've played the game.

Mechanically, it's good... but that RNG is fucking terrible.
>>
I refuse to give money for Bungie ever again.

Destiny is, for sure, the most jewish game of our time. I truly hope there is a special place in hell for the team who though it was ok to release a game so unfinished as Destiny and then release, time to time, DLCs full price with content that should have been in the game since the vanilla release.

God im mad with thus bastards.
>>
Also, play The Witcher 3 or Fallout. Better then Destiny. Hell, even Battlefront is better than that shit.
>>
File: edfedf.jpg (109 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
edfedf.jpg
109 KB, 1280x720
>>329908006
EDF is a pure game by developer Sandlot who made other preposterous stuff on low budgets like Robot Alchemic Drive.

It looks pretty crude, previous games' framerates take a nosedive (however PS4 version of 4.1 runs at 60FPS almost all the time), and it is overall a very simple game.
However, it's fucking bombastic and has no bullshit to get in your way during gameplay. You pick a mission, you're in immediately and you kill every giant insect/alien/robot/other you see.

As the missions go on, the monsters get excessive in number and power.
It does get to a point where you are required to grind older missions to pick up dropped Weapon Crates for the random chance of finding better weapons for your class so that you can survive the massacre in later missions. You'll find yourself grinding either easy to accomplish missions or early missions on Hard (each difficulty level is a massive leap up in damage taken/given and aggressiveness). It's those speedbumps that will make completing it take some time and possibly encourage you to take on the highest difficulties and do it all over again with the four different classes.

Among the games I got with my PS4 last December (Bloodborne, Destiny, Uncharted, Infamous and EDF), EDF 4.1 was the one that held my attention the most.
>>
I bought TTK because I heard about "smart loot"

Never again
>>
>>329913576
Huh no shit. Sounds pretty good tbqh. Cheers for the tip man.

I have to say, this thread is making me wanna get Division more and more.
>>
I enjoy ARPGs like Grim Dawn at the moment for that kind of content. Don't really need audio so you can listen to podcasts, being on PC means its a quick start and can alt tab if so. Nearing 300 hours.
>>
If you don't have friends or aren't open to making new ones through lfg sites, don't get it.

That said, try Rocket League.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.