[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>It's insulting to the fans to release a Metroid spinoff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: image.png (80 KB, 300x232) Image search: [Google]
image.png
80 KB, 300x232
>It's insulting to the fans to release a Metroid spinoff I stead of a main game after so many years

Donkey Kong was nothing BUT spinoffs for over a decade before they released a new Country game

Why are Metroid fans such fucking wimps?
>>
I think it's funny that one of the most mature games Nintendo makes has the most immature fanbase.
>>
>>329854274
First of all, DKC games are 2D. When Rare tried making a 3D collectthon out of DK, it was shit and bombed.

Second, it's been more than a decade since Fusion and every Prime game besides 1 is mediocre. Metroid needs a new 2D game, period.

I'm a massive DKfag who also really enjoys Metroid, and both series have their problems, but DKC games are all great at the least. Metroid is wildly inconsistent. I imagine being a dedicated Metroidfag is really annoying.
>>
>>329854981
>every Prime game besides 1 is mediocre
echoes was great, though
>>
>tfw Metroid and Donkey Kong Country are my two favorite Nintendo franchises
Whatever Retro does is win-win for me.
>>
>>329854274
Wrong.
N64 got DK62, a mainline game.
GC gor Jungle Beat, a mainline 2D platformer.
Then of course Wii and WiiU gor the Retro game.
Every sigle Nintendo console since the SNES had a mainline DK game.
>>
>>329854274
Because it's the present. I bet if it were the other way around DKfags would be fucking obnoxious right now.
>>
>>329855371
*DK64
>>
>>329855230
They should just expand to be able to take care of both.
It's fucking ridicolous how a dev like Intelligent System can shit out 2 games a year but we have to wait 3 years for a new Retro game.
>>
>>329855230
This

Literally the only Ninty franchises left that don't pander to casuals.
>>
Jungle Beat was fucking amazing. I will always be happy knowing that the staff who worked on it impressed Miyamoto enough to get them to develop Super Mario Galaxy.
>>
>>329855102
Not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination but it's vastly inferior to the first Prime.
>>
>>329855380
nah, dkfags are pretty chill.
>>
Imagine the ass mad when retro reveals they have been working on dkc 3
>>
>>329855768
I really should play jungle beat
>>
>>329855967
Play the Gamecube version. The Wii version is much easier and the Wii remote and Nunchuk don't compare to the drums.
>>
>>329855872
Can't argue with you since I have zero interest to the DK series.
>>
>>329855936
TF is one of my favorite games ever and even I'd be pretty pissed, I'm fucking sick of 2D platformers.
>>
>>329854981
This, Prime fans like to parade how incredible the games are but only the first that truly great but even the first Prime was inferior to the 2D games. We need Metroid: Dread stat.
>>
>Donkey Kong was nothing BUT spinoffs for over a decade
and I lamented that too. That DKCR reveal at E3 2010 was the hypest I had been in years
>>
>>329855872
DKVine was pretty rough during the post-Rare buyout era. Wasn't until Returns was announced they cooled down.
>>
>>329855768
That game was the shit, I loved playing it.
>>
People are allowed to not like things, you know
>>
>>329854274
>Mega Man had six spinoff series
>all of them were good
Maybe developers just need to step up and make good spinoffs?
>>
>>329854274
Yo monkey you had the DKC Trilogy, DK64, and DKJB to tie your asses over until DKCR.
We got nothing but Prime and a shitty Ninja Gaiden ripoff. Still waiting for Metroid: Dread. I hope after Sakamoto's Metroid team (since he has mutliple teams) works on the long awaited Project Dread again for the NX.
>>
>>329855757
>Literally the only Ninty franchises left that don't pander to casuals.

Fire Emblem is challenging again with Conquest.
>>
>>329855757
Metroid is pretty fucking casual.

Super Metroid is a really easy game.
>>
>>329858239
There's a hell of a lot of overlap in the Wario and Metroid teams. Other M's co-director was even the guy who directed the Mario and Wario Land games.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Metroid NX game announced at E3 though.
>>
>>329854274

This.
>>
>>329854274
Because nobody fucking cares about Donkey Kong. He's literally a meme character and so are the other characters in his universe. Metroid has actual lore, story and characters that people care and are interested in learning about. DK doesn't. Not to mention metroid series invented an entire sub-genre while DK is basically just another platformer. Nothing wrong with that, sure. But one is clearly more wanted than he other.
>>
File: 1456205898235.jpg (79 KB, 600x550) Image search: [Google]
1456205898235.jpg
79 KB, 600x550
>>329855768
>Jungle beat 2 never
everything was top notch in that game
>tfw can't beat it in one sitting because palms couldn't take the constant clapping
>>
>>329854274
>>329855872
>Donkey Kong was nothing BUT spinoffs for over a decade before they released a new Country game
A little bit of hindsight bias there, DK fans were fucking bitter from the Rare buyout to Returns.
>>
>>329859308
>Because nobody fucking cares about Donkey Kong.
DK is more popular than Metroid and FZero put together.
>>
>>329855371
>mainline DK game.
The fact that you can say this phrase is baffling.
>>
>>329855768
Jungle Beat's great with bongos and fucking insufferable with motion controls.
>>
Donkey Kong is IN his spin offs
>>
>>329859717
Not Diddy Kong Racing
>>
>>329854274
>Donkey Kong was nothing BUT spinoffs for over a decade before they released a new Country game

>new Country game

Donkey Kong Country is itself a spinoff.
>>
>>329859946
In the same way that Super Mario Bros is a spinoff if you want to be that guy.
>>
>>329859504
And your basis for this is? You can break it down to the most primitive aspects and easily see that a game about a girl in a cool suit of armor with missiles and guns in fuckingn space is more popular than a monkey jumping around, collecting bananas.
>>
>>329860002
>And your basis for this is?
sales.
>>
>>329860050
Prove your argument or don't respond. I'm not going to look up your argument for you.
>>
>>329860234
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=donkey+kong+country
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=metroid
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=f-zero
>>
File: ab7.jpg (15 KB, 280x391) Image search: [Google]
ab7.jpg
15 KB, 280x391
>>329860234
Donkey Kong Country is the fucking second best selling SNES game at 9 millions.

Super Metroid, which is by far the most notorious Metroid game just got a million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

DKC Returns also heavily outsold any Prime game.

Super Metroid is a fucking smalltime Nintendo franchise. Splatoon sold twice as much as the best selling Metroid game.
>>
>>329860234
Returns outsold the entire Prime Trilogy
The arcade games are as mainstream as Pac-Man
>>
>>329858421
Your right, Sakamoto has a lot of teams;
>The Warioware Team
>The Tomodachi Team
>The Rhythm Heaven Team
>The Kiki Trick Team
>And the Metroid Team (use to be Wario Land Team)
I definitely see an announcement for Metroid NX coming this E3.
>>
>>329854274
metroid is a one trick pony with a fanbase that hates innovation and wants the same formula to be reheated over and over and whenever some other niche series gets attention they will always complain about it without fail.
>>
File: 1455717518189.jpg (16 KB, 200x266) Image search: [Google]
1455717518189.jpg
16 KB, 200x266
>>329860234
Looks like someone got BTFO
>>329860503
>>329860541
>>329860567
>>
>>329862171
I did. I was wrong. I wasn't really thinking about how popular he actually was from the arcade games before Country released.

In response to that one other Anon, though. I don't think comparing a brand new Donkey Kong game to a collection of previously released games is really comparable. But the older games' numbers do show and tell.
>>
File: Starha.gif (2 MB, 325x244) Image search: [Google]
Starha.gif
2 MB, 325x244
>>329859308
>Metroid has actual lore, story and characters

Story and lore are what killed Metroid, it was better when things were kept simple and vague
>>
>donkey kong
>fans

t. things that don't exist
>>
>>329855768
My Kong.

I think Jungle Beat's "problem" is that it was marketed alongside Donkey Konga, everyone I know didn't play Jungle Beat thinking it was just like Konga. I guess it was because they pushed the drums a lot in the marketing.
>>
>>329862924
Jungle Beat was kinda weird at the time because of how it dropped even Diddy
>>
>>329862749
There's a vast difference between Prime story/lore and Other M's. I think it's really fucking sweet in Prime 3 when Samus interacts with the other aliens. It's done in a way that's not obnoxious or immersion breaking and just makes you more interested about the series as a whole. There's a story in these games, but if you don't want to, you don't have to care. They don't force tons of dialogue and cutscenes with muh character building and other bullshit like in other M.
>>
>>329863236
I am not talking about Other M or Prime alone, I meant in general

Super Metroid and Zero Mission were the best metroids because everything was kept vague, without a lot of dialogue or anything, and had the advantage of not lacking maps like the first 2, or shit farming like the original Metroid on NES.

I like Fusion, but that's were things began spiralling down. Samus interacting with other aliens shouldn't be through cutscenes, it should be through pure "show, don't tell".
>>
File: 1440728657201.png (29 KB, 210x349) Image search: [Google]
1440728657201.png
29 KB, 210x349
>>329855230
I'm a big fan of both, too. I was pretty disappointed in Metroid fans for shitting on Tropical Freeze just because they got their hopes up for a new Prime.
>>
>>329854274
>Metroid
>DK
>two of the franchise that are treated the worst in Smash
What a coincidence.
>>
>>329854274
Yeah but Rare Country trilogy was much better than ever Metroid.
>>
>>329863085
They tried to do their own thing. I always had my headcanon DK in Jungle Beat is young Cranky forcing his way to become the King of the soon-to-become DK Isles after I read the theory elsewhere, trying to explain why DK in JB is such a blood-thirsty beast.

It also explains the lack of Diddy and everyone else.

Eh, it had the bananas and animal buddies, I really wish JB2 was made.
>>
Top jej
>>
>>329863589
I mean, sure. If that's your preference. I know what you mean about Fusion, but I don't think it's like that in the Prime games. Adam never shuts the fuck up in Fusion and just becomes annoying. But in Prime 3 for example, the only time where you really have to interact with anybody is the opening segment. And then none in the first 2 Prime games.

But then during the real game in 3, you don't stop and talk to the people you've met at the beginning through dialogue. They end up helping you, directly or not. And you can see impact each of them have on the planets they've visited. Then, you have to kill them. If you never interacted with them before, it wouldn't have as much impact on YOU as a player when they die. Know what I mean?

I don't think it's done poorly at all or has anything to do with what "killed" Metroid. I'd leave anything and everything about Other M to that.
>>
>>329864531
Dude.

Literally I couldn't get invested on anyone in Prime 3.

We don't get to even know them for real, they're just there. Literally feels Retro hamfisted them into the plot because someone ordered them to.

I enjoyed Prime 3 as it's own thing but it was Fusion in 3D.

The fanbase began getting more and more divided as the storytelling got more complex. It's time to go back to basics.

And this is without bringing Other M, let's pretend for a moment Other M wasn't a thing. Remember those days before OM? A lot of people did mentioned how sometimes the Prime 3 plot felt it was holding your hand, unlike the original Prime, or Super, or even Prime 2: Echoes.

Which brings me back to getting invested on characters: I felt more invested on U-Mos since we talked to him more thorough the entire game.

Had they brought back U-Mos in Prime 3, then having him go Corrupt, then it'd been painful to me at least.

I want to make this very clear: I am NOT shitting on the Prime series, or Fusion, I simply believe we should go back to the vague thin plot for Metroid, have the atmosphere carry the plot on alone. We got more technology than an NES or a GameBoy (black and white) did, it's entirely posible.
>>
>>329860234
You realize Donkey Kong is Nintendo's fifth best selling franchise right after Zelda right?

Metroid isn't even top ten.
>>
>>329858392
The games are easy but they aren't exactly casual because they aren't as accessible as Mario or Zelda, and they don't tell you exactly what to do. Casuals hate that.
>>
>>329863629
Prime fans have this issue that Retro don't make a Prime game they have massive bitch fits because it's not another generic FPS Metroid. I'm still waiting for Metroid: Dread. As a fan I'm been waiting ever since it was leaked in 2005 but I never bitched about it I just waited patiently. I was appalled at how immature they acted for not getting another fucking Prime game. I been tired of the Prime franchise since 2007 it needs a long break.
>>
>>329865175
This, I want this too but unfortunately Sakamoto and Tanabe are too fixated on story.
>>
>>329865175
Alright dude, I get ya'.

The storytelling and plot in Prime 3 was, I admit, pretty blatant with lots of hand-holding. All I'm trying to say is that I feel like the 3 different aliens you fight weren't as you think. That's just me though, to each their own. I do see your points.

In the end, I'd rather have it back to being more vague as well anyways, don't worry.
>>
Because Donkey Kong is a fucking goofball series.

Metroid requires careful curation.
>>
File: chibi Samus.jpg (580 KB, 1200x1002) Image search: [Google]
chibi Samus.jpg
580 KB, 1200x1002
>>329866073
>civil talk in /v/

Thank you, anon. I also see your points.

I think, probably, Metroid needs a "split", maybe having "timelines" a la Zelda, lacking for a better word.

What I mean by this is:

>timeline A: Focused on plot and the usual Metroid exploration, for those who really want to see the Prime 3 and Fusion formula polished

>timeline B: Entirely vague, atmosphere carries the plot, open to even theories among the fans on what the hell is going on

It might be a cheap way to please both camps, but if so many Mario (2D sidescrolling, 3D and RPG) styles can co-exist, why not Metroid?

I was actually talking to a friend, what if Nintendo did a Parodius-style parody game of Zero Mission with jabs at Metroid's own logic, it'd work to re-introduce newer generation to Metroid, it could even have timed demos of the real Zero Mission, Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. Pic related to what I mean by Parodius style. Is it too much of a shit idea?
>>
>>329863732
True, Jungle Beat has way better animal buddy incorporation than the Retro DKC games.
>>
>>329867263
It actually saddens me Retro's DKC only has Rambi, and Squawks became an item. That's THE issue I have with Retro's DKC.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.