[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Borderlands Thread The first one was ok. Nothing special. Nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 8
File: Borderlandslogo.png (20 KB, 816x624) Image search: [Google]
Borderlandslogo.png
20 KB, 816x624
Borderlands Thread

The first one was ok. Nothing special. Nothing terrible. Got a little tedious at times but really did a good job of meshing FPS and RPG gameplay.

The second one was best so far. Really did a good job fleshing out the story. Loved the characters, both playable and NPCs. Jack was one of the best antagonists of the last few years. I really felt for him more then hated him. I spent more time wondering if he was really all that bad then I did trying to kill him.

TPS was in between both in the story itself and gameplay. It added more depth to Jack as a character. It was great to see him and to explain what turned him into the murderous psychopath he was made out to be in 2. TPS had a few nifty innovations, but it wasn't quite enough to make it feel like an entirely new game. Being able to play as ClapTrap and a Jack clone was fun.

Hoping BL3 lives up to its older siblings. What do you hope for in the next installment of the Borderlands series?
>>
2 was dogshit
>>
>>329844347
I've been waiting to see a BL thread here.

The only contact i've had with BL universe was in Tales from the Borderlands.

Should i go straight to playing 2 or do i need to play 1 first for story reasons?

>>329844591
Why do you say that? Most people give it a lot of praise.
>>
>>329844347
>The second one was best so far. Really did a good job fleshing out the story. Loved the characters,
Here's your (you)
>>
>>329844984
Op.

I haven't played the Tales From yet, but I want to. 2 was a better game in my opinion, the first was ok, but the second was better in almost every way. The other poster is just a hater, if he doesn't even bother to give a reason to back up his views, then he's dogshit.

I got the tripple pack that comes with ALL the dlc for ALL three games for $30 at GameStop. Get that. Play them all.
>>
>>329844984
Most people have bad taste and only regurgitate the opinions given to them. The writer for BL2 was friends with the most prominent video game reviewers at the time.

The game had worse guns, worse gunplay, worse drop mechanics, worse script, forced diversity characters for the sake of diversity, and humor that was limited to Family Guy tier topical jokes.

But yeah, besides all that, the graphics were a little better I guess.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (21 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
21 KB, 400x225
UHVM and I STILL haven't dropped pic related.
>>
2 was way too fucking grindy
1 had better guns

hoping for bl3 is useless at this point. gbx has everything they have sunk into battleborn.
>>
Wish there were people actually playing the Xbone version of 2 so I could power through it and get to Ultimate Vault Hunter's Mode already.

Such is the life of somebody who makes nothing but mistakes.
>>
>>329845343
I don't read professional reviews anymore, so it wasn't there that i got the good reviews from.

So are you telling me to get the first one?

This guy seems to agree with you.>>329845528

>>329845307
Yeah, i was dismissing his opinion because he didn't justify it. Do you agree with them on the part about better guns/mechanics?
I liked the humour on TftB, so i might enjoy BL2 too.
Oh, and i will have to pirate the games.
I don't have that extra cash and the games are single player, so it's not like i'm missing anything.
>>
I hope lilith is the antag in the bl3.I mean she based on bible lilith right?

I also hope to see more of zer0 and krieg.just imagine zer0 having a dojo full of pyscho pretending to do martial arts but do their own thing
Also i hope there is no burch involved
>>
>>329845528
Um, didn't they recently admit they were was another BL game for current gen?
>>
File: handsomejack[1].jpg (195 KB, 700x384) Image search: [Google]
handsomejack[1].jpg
195 KB, 700x384
>>329845719
You deserve it.
>>
>>329845492
>I STILL haven't dropped pic related.

because you are easily swayed by deceptive wording, the 5% is not additive. that relic is worthless.
>>
>>329845883
I use GiB so I don't really have an opinion on the gun/drop issue. I wouldn't mind if someone explained the problem in a little more detail.

>>329845936
Lilith seemed like more of an antagonist then Jack did, to me. But still, I doubt it.
>>
BL1 was my fave

the DLCs were gud, zombie and knoxx especially
>>
>>329845343
Yeah, I am playing 2 right now for the firsst time and it feels much more tedious than the first and the writing is atrocious.

>>329844347
>Jack was one of the best antagonists of the last few years.
I really hope you are joking.
>>
>>329845719
I want to help you anon, but I stopped giving M$ my money a long time ago.

I suggest you do the same and just buy Borderlands 2 GOTY on PC
>>
>>329845939
they recently admitted they have no idea what to do with borderlands. they have spent more money on battleborn that both borderlands combined. whatever game comes next is years away unless they outsource another game to 2k australia again, this of course depends on of if there is a gearbox left to make video games if (when) battleborn flops.
>>
>>329845883
Listen, BL2 is not a bad game, it just is not as good as the fans say it is.

You have a slightly improved engine but that is contrasted by terrible design decisions such as all high end drops coming from specific enemies and a drastically reduced variety of weapons. End result is a game that looks a little better but the only way to get top tier gear is to grind bosses repeatedly.

Unfortunately BL2 also introduced the Slag element. Once you get past level 30 (so new game+) enemies get massive numbers of HP and armor to the point that they become superpowered bullet sponges capable of face tanking your best abilities unless you hit them with Slag, erasing their armor temporarily. Then you can switch guns (because Slag sucks for damage) and shoot them for a few seconds until the Slag wears off. You do this until the enemy dies then shoot the next one with Slag. The best part is Slag wears off too fast to tag an entire group so you are forced to either pick off one enemy out of twenty at a time or play multiplayer and force one person to be Slag bitch.

Sounds fun doesn't it.
>>
>>329845528
I had not heard of battleborn so i just looked it up.

>ASSFAGGOTS shit

Can we move past this yet?
>>
>>329847085
What even?
>>
>>329847085
No anon, it's FPS ASSFAGGOT shit.

They're trying to one-up SMITE.
>>
You guys sold me on BL1.

Pirating it now.

>>329846882
Wait, whats that talk about multiplayer?
I thought that this was a single player, story driven fps/rpg...
And that sounds tedious btw.
>>
>>329847337
You can play it single-player, but it's better in CO-OP.
>>
>>329847461
There is no content locked behind MP then?
>>
File: Glass Him.jpg (100 KB, 440x498) Image search: [Google]
Glass Him.jpg
100 KB, 440x498
>>329844347
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG6nhaEyHCU
I really liked this scene from Tales.

I think Telltale alone managed to restore my faith in a continuation of the Borderlands series - Previous to it, I had no interest in a sequel.
>>
>>329845343
>forced diversity characters for the sake of diversity
who are you talking about?

all the other shit in your post is subjective so not gonna bother with that
>>
>>329847562
Nope.
>>
>>329847337
its both. but when you get high enough level you'll hit the wall where like the guy said you need a slag bitch to do any damage.

>>329847562
there's a little mp oriented stuff like "raid bosses"
>>
Borderlands 2 may look nicer, and the newer hunters have some cool abilities, but the first does it better.

2's writing is mostly shit. Not for the memes people rave over though, just the poor characterization of older characters and the shitty new ones. Jack is alright.

Borderlands 2 feels less like a sequel and more like a reboot of an older movie. It's kinda trying to emulate what was great and just falls flat.
>>
>>329847461
BL2? I don't even touch Multiplayer until after I've beaten the game through once on single player first. But that's how I play most games like this, ever since Doable 2
>>
>>329846882
>only way to get top tier gear is to grind bosses repeatedly.
only literal autists do this, you don't need any "top tier" gear to finish the game or even ng+
>>
>>329847267
You know, now that you mention it that is totally different and better.
>>
>>329847624
they are rampant in the game and anthony burch himself has admitted to forcing them in for their own sake so don't even try to argue it.
>>
>>329847562
enemies are tougher and you get rarer/better drops, team mates can also revive you if you're knocked down. I can't even imagine trying to play this game solo, it'd be way too grindy
>>
Grabbing Borderlands 1, thanks for the suggestions everyone.
>>
File: 1455854678762.jpg (15 KB, 216x260) Image search: [Google]
1455854678762.jpg
15 KB, 216x260
>>329848009
Nice damage control, next time play games before whining about them on the internet
>>
>>329844347
>Got a little tedious at times but really did a good job of meshing FPS and RPG gameplay.
>tedious at times but really did a good job of meshing FPS and RPG gameplay.
>at times but really did a good job of meshing FPS and RPG gameplay.
>but really did a good job of meshing FPS and RPG gameplay.
>a good job of meshing FPS and RPG gameplay.
>meshing FPS and RPG gameplay.
>FPS and RPG gameplay.
>>
>>329848053
Honestly try the presequel as well. Its short but sweet. Also lazers and cryo weapons were what this series desperately needed.
>>
>>329848223
>i know more about the game's writing than the game's writer
>>
>>329847851
Agreed, but in the original there was always the possibility of getting a legendary from a random drop or even better getting a randomly generated gun that was better than legendaries.

In 2 if you want a legendary your only option is to look up online which boss drops it and then kill the boss repeatedly until the RNG gods smile at you.
>>
Why don't we talk about the game instead of memes? What's everybodies favorite class? And why are the two sirens so op?
>>
File: 1456150934624.jpg (14 KB, 224x258) Image search: [Google]
1456150934624.jpg
14 KB, 224x258
>>329848442
>more damage control

Just close the thread and move on friend, your BTFO is only going to get worse the longer you keep this up. You didn't play the game and that's okay, in future try not to pretend you did in order to save yourself from embarrassing situations like this one
>>
>>329848707
Most of the discussion in this thread is about the gameplay.
>>
>>329848284
You have successfully identified a handful of words that appeared in the original sentence.
>>
>>329848818
"I've been told once or twice that the bisexual or gay characters I wrote for Borderlands 2 were arbitrary and forced. This is one hundred percent true." - Anthony Burch
>>
>>329844984
2 is better in nearly every way and there really isn't much of a story in 1.

They are both super grindy but fun with friends.
>>
>>329845492
If memory serves, "rare loot" actually means "rare-quality" loot ie: green-rarity weapons (shit)
>>
>>329845492
Because that doesn't drop. You got it if you preordered.
>>
>>329849157
>muh dev quotes

kek after three replies you haven't managed to name a single character. Consider yourself completely and thoroughly BTFO my friend
>>
>>329849309
>2 is better in nearly every way
It isn't. The guns are worse, a lot of the new enemies are really annoyingly bad, there is a lot more tedious walking and backtracking and the story isn't good so it does not count as plus.
>>
>>329849532
Moxxi, Tiny Tina's gay parents, that eridium doctor, tannis... i'm sure there aare more.
>>
Why does Tiny Tina exist?
>>
>>329848707
> Loved Medic Roland in 1
> Never cared for playing Siren ever
> 2 gives Medic talents to Sirens
Still salty.
>>
>>329847267
>>329847085
I looked into it, and Battleborn is also PVE borderlands style. Im not entirely sure what the fuck it is.
>>
>>329848867
Op here. I'd rather discuss 'the game itself' then mechanics but whatever. Argue about numbers. I'll keep liking the story. I do like the stories, by the way.
>>
>>329849532

Not him, but I think that's supposed to be about Axton. Who became bi literally just because of quote that doesn't change according to gender.

It was fucking nothing like when characters refer to "he" when you're playing one of the females, but Burch went back to it later because of tumblrshitters and said YAH HES BI.

Considering Axton was also the guy you had to put up with hearing "cool story bro" every twenty seconds if you played as him, I guess Burch just made him his self-insert or something.

Hammerlock was gay as fuck though, and he was more interested in being britbong gentleman than britbong mustachioqueer.
>>
>>329849673
One of the PCs, Axton is bi for the sake of being bi. Also, half the NPC dialogue in Sanctuary and any time someone on an echo device talks about a spouse it is usually the same sex.
>>
Ok, change of pace.

Let's talk about what we'd like to see in the next game, heavens hope there is one. What would you do/add/change to make it better?
>>
>>329850545
How about not shit leveling and drop rates?
>>
>>329849673
sir hammerlock, ellie is assumed to be bisexual as well, I think
>>
>>329850545
Well, Birch quit so it is already better.
>>
>>329850545
>What would you do/add/change to make it better?

better guns
less mmo
more synergy between players
not having to play the game three times to hit level cap
a boss that doesn't vomit loot 300 yards across the screen into lava
>>
>>329849546
Sounds more like you were sick of the formula. They are both grindy games to a fault.

Also 2's enemies were much more diverse.
>>
>>329850545
Go back to 1's guns and talents.
>>
>>329850545
-Continue to avoid supporting this OP and True Omega Giga Turbo Ultimate Mode shit that requires highly specific builds and weapons in a game based around freedom of builds and weapons
-Ability to customize weapon parts instead of hoping they drop in the perfect format during a full moon
-More reinforcement of trinity roles like they did in TPS
-Ways to upgrade guns/gear so you dont have to rely on legendary drops
-Maybe more choices as to your character's special move
-More emphasis on boss farming, but with better scaling and more randomized variants
>>
>>329851393
I want to see a sort of 'weapon bench' option too, where you can swap parts, maybe pay to upgrade gear level to keep it current.

That and pets. I want a fucking oet spiderant buddy.
>>
GIMME YER DAMN LOOT
I'LL SURVIVE YOU WON'T
>>
>>329850545
Class skills at level 1.
>>
>>329851613
There already are pet classes.

And for weapon bench, just require destroying a weapon of a higher level to add one mod. That way you still need high numbers of drops.
>>
>>329851735
MIDGET LOVER
DONT SCAVENGE MY STUFF
>>
File: 1398037324747.jpg (96 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1398037324747.jpg
96 KB, 720x480
>>329851967
that first few levels is such a grind, at the very least give points at level 2 instead of 4 levels of NOTHING
>>
>>329850545

Far fewer resource stack mechanics. TPS can eat a dick with that shit. You shouldn't have to learn Forth to play a character.

Diverse enviroments. No BL1 and TPS shit staring at the same wall and piles of garbage all day, only to see it again with a palette swap.

Better/larger selection of vehicles and maps to use them/size of maps to use them on.
>>
>>329852120
I feel like the next step up they're going to take is to copy the super hero aspect of Saints Row IV with the super speed, jumping, and gliding. That may replace vehicles.
>>
>>329851967
Yes. This.

>>329852039
Yes but I mean pets for all. Spiderants, bullymongs, rakks, maybe even midgets and loaders. And they can grow into their badass versions.
>>
>>329851050
BL1 talents were the blandest shit ever.
>>
>>329852395

Man, don't even joke about that.

I actually like SR4, but borderlands doesn't need a lot more personal manuvering than the O2 boosting and maybe one person's personal skill.
>>
>>329852650
I prefer TPS movement. When I went back to BL2 I instinctively kept trying to boost and it wasnt working. Maybe they can bring them back in the form of jetpacks next time.
>>
next game needs more verticality to the levels. in the games you jump off any height and not take damage, they should do more with that.
>>
File: 1423390501809.jpg (31 KB, 327x276) Image search: [Google]
1423390501809.jpg
31 KB, 327x276
Are we actually going to leave that shithole pandora this time? Are we going to get reintroduced to the same old quest givers that all somehow live in every town you visit? I swear to god
>>
>>329853191
>Marcus twin brother
>also Marcus
>nurse joy mechanics ftw
>>
>>329844591
I hated how you could get instadowned even at max level. What's the point if the enemies scale with you?
>>
>>329852634
Not every talent needs to be super flashy though. Simple shit like larger ammo clips was fun as fuck with Roland, especially if you had an S&S Rifle. Christ I miss S&S. Fuck Bandit guns.
>>
>>329852092
YOU'RE WORSE THAN THE MIDGETS.
>>
>>329853540
>Simple shit like larger ammo clips
CLIPSSSSSSSSSss

And it's already in BL2.
>>
Fucking take out anything that instakills you. I can jump off a 400 foot cliff with 0 injury but a car bumps me and i die? Fuck you.
>>
>>329844347
>Loved the characters, both playable and NPCs.

Holy shit terrible taste spotted.
>>
>>329853767
Larger base player health pools in general would be a welcome change, I don't like being having to chose between glass or porcelain cannons

maybe even health kits that you can use with a button???
>>
>>329853853
I mostly liked it. There were things that were moronically obvious like the putting Jack's power supply into sancuary being a bad idea, but I liked it as a whole.

I didn't even notice much Anthony kek writing that I heard people constantly complained about for years.
>>
>>329853853
Oh you have an opinion that differs from mine? I must have shit taste.

Nice feminist logic there, friend.
>>
>>329844347
>The second one was best so far.

l m a o
>>
>>329853739
I know, it's an example.
>>
>>329844347
B1>B2
B2-Burch>>>B1
>>
>>329844347
>second was the best so far
It's shit like that, that actually makes me consider the thought that there might be shills on /v/. Why would someone swing in and put that much effort into an OP with such a buttfuck retarded opinion unless they were paid to?
>>
>>329854271
I never reached max level in either game and tried to grind, so maybe that is why I do not notice the gun problem.

But the second game felt faster, has much better enemies, and different elements having very distinct uses made me actually think about which gun I want to use when.

BL1 just made me think about which sniper had the most damage, and point it at the enemies head.

I am serious right now. How the fuck is BL1 better at all gameplay wise?
>>
>>329854478
the only thing Burch did was writing

if writing is what matters the most for you in the game where you spend 99% of your time shooting monsters in the face, your priorities are fucked up

>>329854482
nobody would shill for an 7 years old game that isn't even the last in the series, are you retarded
>>
>>329854482
What?
>>
>>329844347
>Loved the characters, both playable and NPCs. Jack was one of the best antagonists of the last few years.
go shove a cactus up your ass
Burch is already gone so the only thing BL3 needs to do to be good is fix the pants-on-head retarded scaling that BL2 suffered from
>>
>>329854629
Exactly. That's why, technically, I prefer Borderlands 2. It's gauche to say that on /v/ though because of the writing.
>>
>>329854920
Then just say you prefer 2, it's a pretty common opinion on /v/ actually. BL2 has so much more variety to its enemies, environments and weapons it makes 1 look like a demo. Some scaling and writing quirks aside, it's just better.
>>
>>329850545
fix the amount of times you need to ng+ and make it so there are more then 3 types of wepons per catagory. oh and give some of the npcs just a taaaaaad more story (chars like earl/tannis/other throwaway chars from bl1)
>>
>>329856787
Crazy Earl? Yea they kinda just made him a living vending machine for some reason. Never understood that.
>>
>>329856787
I'd say only make they two modes, normal and Vault Hunter or whatever. Just make the scenario longer. No grindier, but longer. Maybe more, but shorter, missions and side quests. More actual STORY, not just more things to shoot at. I LIKE the story, I like the game being more (even just barely) then just 'shoot things til win'. That's why I don't play many shooters. Maybe make the single player campaign go almost all the way to the initial level cap, and make the hard mode be for people that just want to fire at bullet sponges.
>>
>>329857482
I like the idea of a normal mode that works like it does in the games now. but having vault hunter mode work like UVHM works where EVERYTHING levels with you so you can hit cap in a actual reasonable timescale. Or just making it so we can use something like overpower level without having to do a max lvl raid 8 times
>>
A little more stealth would be nice. Not fallout level sneaking or anything, but silencers would be cool. I hate sniping one guy from a mile away and suddenly every bandit on the planet knows my exact location.
>>
>>329844347
Having played all 3

Gameplay wise the presequel was very fun, but made most npcs idiots, also aussie humor sucked.

Storywise bl2 was the best

1 had best dlc campaigs
>>
>>329859007
>Underdome and Robolution
>good
>>
>>329859007
yea presequal either threw out all the old chars or made them completly retarded.

bl2 had the best actual storyline, but suffered when dealing specificly with certain characters. They felt like they were only there cause they were in bl1.
>>
>>329859007
The only npc that was not made an idiot was Earl, and thats cause he is a vending machine.
>>
I had to play BL2 at 2x Experience for it to be any fun
>>
>>329850545
Get whoever designed the BL2 DLC characters to design the main characters. Their skill trees were the best in the series
>>
>>329859951
Them and the characters from PS, they had fun abilities
>>
>>329859358
Cant do much with a character that seems to be perpetually locked into his house.
>>
My roommates and I played through the first one multiple times and had a blast. I have fond memories of that game, it was a neat little space Western. The second one stripped out a lot of the magic for me and crammed it full of in your face pop culture references, and that really turned me off from it. I haven't touched BL2 since it came out.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.