[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Too many units
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: sharedimage.png (1 MB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
sharedimage.png
1 MB, 1200x630
What is the point of having thousands of units on screen if it just looks like a fucking mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5nuTO_QowE

It's like a repeat of Borderland's millions of generic boring gun
>>
>>329806396
It's a game of macro not micro
>>
sup, Warren Churulich!
>>
>>329806396
>He does not like grand scale in his RTS
Look at this man and laugh with me
>>
>>329807450
yea, but this is more of a visual problem. Like how people talk about "silhouettes" in TF2 and Dota, etc, so you can identify what's actually in play.

This doesn't really look like you're going to be able to tell the difference between 100 jets flying at you, or 100 hovertanks whizzing around. Or some sort of mix, etc.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 243x255) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 243x255
>>329808493
>>
>>329808493
>this baby can't handle grand strategy
>>
>>329806396

Yeah, looks like poop

Fuck sci-fi RTS
Give me unit reactions which arent
>beep boop
>single word in robotic

These things have zero atmosphere and I feel absolutely nothing for units lost.
>haha my autopiloted horde of machines is mowing down your horde of horde of machines, so much proxy victory in this
>>
File: image.jpg (288 KB, 1024x996) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
288 KB, 1024x996
>>329809448
>not liking machines

Go play a 'real' strategy like Fire Emblem then
>>
>>329809849

See if it was a horde of fuckable machine-waifus I'd be down with it.
>>
>>329809448
>>329808493
yea Supreme Commander was a Piece of shit.
I remember how Bad that game was and how it wasn't 10x better than any other RTS because it involved actual strategy.
>>
>>329806396
>>329808664

OP what do you expect? this Boards favourite
modern RTS is Supp Comm, as far as most RTS players on /v/ are concerned RTS is nothing but sheer numbers and blobs. They seem to think all there should be to RTS is sheer numbers or huge base building, they don't seem to realize that that is not how strategy works. It's the same reason people don't like CoH2 and DoW2 mostly because it sacrificed big base building and huge armies for more indepth strategies and mechanics and honestly more RTS players are casual as fuck and can't be bothered making 1 unit work as if it was 10 units through strategy.
>>
>>329810262
>COH2
>strategy game
>not a "who presses the grenade button first game"
relic sucks at playing games so they're retarded when they actually make them.
also you have no idea what strategy is.
>>
>>329810262

You seem to be confusing tactics with strategy.

just like video games do
>>
>>329810606
>I suck at micro: the post

You can dodge grenades, you know?

But yeah, relic is a shit-tier developer.

They have just figured out that the whole veterancy system for infantry was completely broken from fucking RELEASE.

A core feature didn't work as intended for three fucking years, and they weren't aware of this. Jesus.
>>
>>329810981
it's not about dodging the grenades it's about being forced to retreat because you were forced to leave cover and have worse DPS output.
there's never a reason to lose guys. (although you WANT to lose guys because of the way the resources work which is the dumbest shit ever thought of in existence).
>>
>>329809448
yeah
it's not like you couldn't have AI constructs with some form of personality so the whole thing is just a way to save on voice actors
>>
>>329811459
But if you're sitting in green cover the enemy has to close in to to use grenades, meaning you're going to win that engagement if dodged his grenade. You''re not really making much sense.
>>
>>329810717
Exactly as far as RTS goes there is no difference as a real RTS would have you sat in an office lobbying for support and trying to gain resources while battles are fought by the AI away from you. RTS should have always been RTT
>>
Ashes isn't a good game and that's for many reasons. SupCom:FA is still superior..

Art style is awful and it's impossible to tell units apart when zoomed out. Units have no charme and personality, it's just gliding platforms with a single purpose weapon.
You can't zoom out to Supcom distances and are supposed to press the spacebar to open an enlarged versions of the minimap in the form of a fullscreen 2D map that is so cluttered that you can't find shit.
The game has a shitty fleet system straight out of Sins of a Solar Empire that forces you to bundle units into a fleet. There are no formations, it's just a clumped stack of messy units and any form of AoE kills them easily. You also can't select individual units of the fleet once its formed. It's necessary to form the fleet to get passive bonuses
Dreadnoughts (the large units) get level-ups unlike regular units. They either get a new gun, a passive or an instant heal (100% HP). Means if you have 1% HP left after a fight and leveled up you get a free 100% repaired dread upon pressing a button.
There are two resources but both are minded on the map on pre-determined spots you build extractors on. The issue is the ratio - 5:1. It means if you lose one of your rare Radioactives extractors your economy is stalled and you have to move an engineer halways around the map to rebuild it while the enemy fucks you up.
Unit tiering only exists for ground units and T1 units are useless late game and get one-shot by everything. It doesn't take long to progress through tiers and it's a static process the game is designed around - there's no commitment to strategy.
Game is on Steam and GOG but you can't play with one another because matchmaking is Steam-exclusive and GOG-exclusive depending on the version you bought. Splits the community in half.

There's not a single redeemable feature, the doesn't even run well for a DX12 shilled title, do anything fancy other games haven't done better and it's buggy and ugly at this point, too.
>>
>>329809448
>Give me unit reactions
Go back to your shitty VNs or whatever else emotional shit you play
You are not an rts fan and have never been
Just fuck off
>>
>>329814524

Enjoy your soulless piece of shit where micro and cookie cutter setups > everything

I, atleast want something more out of a GAME.
>>
>>329814653
>micro and cookie cutter setups > everything
Do you know what a STRATEGY game is?
>>
>>329815087

A very very bad genre to try and simulate "strategy" with tactics where success depends mostly on the speed of instructions given over anything else.

If I'm gonna play something speed based I might aswell play something good.
If I'm gonna play pretend strategy - might aswell do it in an atmospheric fashion, like historic RTS, over beep boop sci-fi shit.
>>
>>329815240
>don't like strategy games
>post in a strategy thread
okay okay, your opinion is fine too, you don't like the genre I get it.
>>
>>329815453

Don't simplify my opinion just so it fits your response, just shut the fuck up if you don't want/have a response.
>>
The problem isn't the number of units, but the boring unit design
>>
>>329813880
>ugly at this point

Not really. The game looks pretty good, Nvidia just blocks the best quality settings through the driver so the best part of the eye candy gets cut out unless you own AMD, which the majority does not.

The game is a technological marvel surpassing even SupCom. But it may end up as being nothing more than a Crysis-like playable tech demo.
>>
>>329817098
kinda reminds me of those "infinite detail" demos
>>
>>329818651
Yeah except the engine on this is actually usable. And it's confirmed to be used in other games by Stardock, including a Star Control remake, and Sins of a Solar Empire 2
>>
I like how it looks. I'd even buy it if I wasn't utter shit at RTS games.
>>
>>329818859
Problem is RTS games can't win.

If they tone down the micro too much and make them slow paced as fuck so your grandpa can play it they become boring as fuck and take forever, every time.

If you make it a tactics game your grandpa can also played but he will get bored of it and its lack of depth that same week.

The only answer is making a game that does both and isn't boring. But that means 90% of the world's population will be incapable of playing them. RTS will always be a niche genre. In a sense they always were. People either played custom games or never actually learned to play them even if they thought they did. The internet just made them realize it was not actually their kind of game.
>>
>>329819796
So, by this I mean. SCII is the only playable MP RTS.

It will always be niche, its hard to get into, people like watching the games they play, and people play LoL.
>>
OP Confirmed for fuck boi

That looked fucking amazing.

I'm literally buying this shit right now because those fucking explosions and fucking alien whale ships and ten million laser beams

Also 720p video for ants? Stop recording on a toaster faggot
>>
>>329808664
it looks cool gay retard
>>
>Stardock

Fuck stardock. I used to like them but they're shit now.

GalCiv3 is basically GalCiv2 with a graphics upgrade and less content, they're selling the extra content as DLC.
>>
>>329821328
>I jerk off to bee swarms
>>
>>329811459
You have no fucking clue of what you are talking about
>>
>>329819921
>So, by this I mean. SCII is the only playable MP RTS.

And by that, you would be wrong.
>>
>>329813880
thanks for this glad i didnt pre order

i bought their mecha small-squad loot based rts though, fun for casual play i guess
>>
>>329819921
i dont like the game but i like sc2s artstyle
>>
File: image.jpg (257 KB, 750x1110) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
257 KB, 750x1110
>>329821457
GalCiv 2 had DLC too?

I mean honestly what did you expect?
>>
File: sppg.jpg (48 KB, 655x560) Image search: [Google]
sppg.jpg
48 KB, 655x560
>>329819921
>So, by this I mean. SCII is the only playable MP RTS.
>>
>>329822652
but look at Twitch, SC2 is regularly in the top 20, while other RTS don't even show up when they're trying to run promos.

even boring shit like Civ 5 shows up more than other RTS
>>
>>329822261
GalCiv 2 had 2 expansions in 2 years, GalCiv 3 has 6 DLCs in not even a year.
>>
>>329821631
>mecha small-squad loot based rts

What was this? From the publishers or developers?
>>
>>329823590
not that guy, but I know Stardock were talking about it when they started talking about Ashes, but I can't find it on their site
>>
>>329823342
>but look at Twitch
No fucking thank you. I thought you meant "playable" as in "what is actually fun to play MP and still has an active community of at least a couple thousand players to play with", not "MUH ESPORTS". If we're talking casual popularity contests then sure whatever. By that measure there aren't many fighters to play either.
>>
>>329823682
>>329823590
found it: http://www.servogame.com/
>>
>>329823751
>By that measure there aren't many fighters to play either.
there aren't
>>
>>329823751
People look at the streams of games they play. Its a pretty good measure of how healthy a community is
>>
>>329823763
Thanks, looks a little bit naff so I'll pass though.

On topic, people are still playing supcom:faf, aoe2hd and mowas2 so there is some hope to the, albeit small, fanbase for rts games. I just felt nothing when act of aggression and homeworld were below par really.
>>
>>329825712
People still play Company of Heroes 2, almost 9 thousand 24 hour player peak today. The developers are still adding some content and fixing bugs, which there are still a lot of.
>>
>>329823572
Gal Civ 3 has had 5 DLC worth $40, you counted the soundtrack
Gal Civ 2's first expansion cost $30, but given inflation would be $35 today.

So yeah they're asking for $5 more money.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.