[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you think localisation should work for japanse to English
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: images (1).jpg (19 KB, 322x456) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
19 KB, 322x456
How do you think localisation should work for japanse to English games.
I mean some things can't be properly understood by Western audiences like Kanji and word puns.

Some translation can work like Naegi komaru sounds like a dick in Japanese but sounds like an alright guy in english.
Same with phoenix

I've also noticed that japs tend to describe things pretty well and sounds serous but suck at humour while the west seems the opposite but can work well

What are your thoughts
>>
Ask /a/ what they think about Commie, is what you should be thinking about localisation.

Prefer straight translation over localisation whereever possible. Prefer simpler phrasing where the meaning would be lost. Put in footnotes if you can't.

Put it this way mate, if people can translate the Bible, Plato or Socrates and still keep its meaning, you can translate a video game.
>>
>>329781240
Your loli looks weird.
>>
I'm learning Japanese so I don't have to deal with shitty localizations, re writes, memes and what not
I'd recommend everyone else do the same if they love japanese games
>>
>>329781240
Localization should be handled by companies from the sources location. I.e. A jap game should only be localized to America by a jap company.

The source should be altered as little as possible. Only fixing what does not directly translate well. I.e. Plays on words or topical subjects. Cultural norms from the target culture should be completely ignored.
>>
>>329782193
Comments like these make me happy /v/ is not in charge of localizing anything.
>>
>>329782374
A /v/ localized game would be filled with TL's Note: Keikaku means plan.
>>
>>329782374
Not him, but I agree to a certain level. Why are you so afraid of being exposed to a different culture?

Sushi being localized to hamburgers are really so necessary for you?
>>
>>329782876
>Sushi being localized to hamburgers are really so necessary for you?
Shut up and eat your hamburgers already.
>>
>>329781240
>How do you think localisation should work for japanse to English games.
It shouldn't.
You should learn Japanese just like every other fucking non-English nation has to learn English.
>>
I don't think localisation should exist. Just straight translation with foot notes right in the same text box they apply to, or in cut scene subtitles.

It's retarded that anyone thought localisation was a good thing in the first place.
>>
File: 1457163961062.webm (3 MB, 940x560) Image search: [Google]
1457163961062.webm
3 MB, 940x560
>>329782374
Amazing localization done by the professional at nintendo.
>>
>>329783229
I wouldn't say that everyone should have to learn Japanese to play jap games. It may have been worth it to us, since we play a lot, but that isn't always the case.

If they don't want to learn then they do need to just accept what the localisation companies decide to give them, though.
>>
>>329784341
>spend hundreds of hours learning an extremely difficult language or just accept being shit on entirely
Absolutely unacceptable.

>b-but I had to learn English
Yeah, an easy to learn hard to master language that you have been learning since childhood most likely. It's significantly harder to learn a language after you become an adult. Not impossible but not effortless like when you're younger.

Japanese isn't like English where you can fuck up your sentence pretty bad and everyone will still understand you, either.
>>
>>329784668
Learning Japanese to a level where you can play games isn't hard.
>>
>>329784341
>If they don't want to learn then they do need to just accept what the localisation companies decide to give them, though.
It can always be worse..
>>
>>329784668
>It's significantly harder to learn a language after you become an adult.
stop perpetuating this meme, it's just an excuse for lazy faggots that can't get anything done
learning languages is actually easier when adult because you can figure out shit thanks to actually knowing a language already plus being able to use proper learning resources like books instead of just repeating with trial and error stuff you hear around you
>>
>>329785051
Literally every linguist and every research paper on learning languages disagrees with you. I'm more inclined to trust professionals than some retard on /v/ who calls anything he doesn't like a "meme."
>>
>>329784220
Why?
>>
>>329781821
>Put in footnotes if you can't.
It always saddens me to see people who got in amine with shitty fan translations and grew up thinking that shit like endless traslator notes is good practce over good translation.
>>
>>329787007
>he thinks it's only something you see in anime
There's a lot of translator who do that for books because the equivalent word just doesn't exist or it's an out-of-context reference.
Trying to read Zola without those will make you miss at the very least 50% of the meaning.
>>
>>329788260
It happens but it is and should be as rare as possible and in most cases it can be avoided.
>>
Ideally there'd be both a Power Rangerified rework for the masses and a subtitled art-house theater version for the erudite.
But the video games business seems to dictate that only one or the other be made.
>>
>>329788260
Footnotes ≠ TL notes.
>>
>>329787007
I think in many games you could deal with the explanation of cultural differences like it is already done in many RPGs with invented lore:
Just give the option to ask for an explanation. Everyone who is already familiar with the information just skip this part and everyone else can learn to understand whats going on better.
That's not always an option though.
>>
>>329781240
>How do you think localisation should work for japanse to English games.
Exactly what the word means.
>>
>>329788814
What's the difference? (Not a native english speaker.)
>>
>>329788858
>deal with the explanation of cultural differences like it is already done in many RPGs with invented lore:
>Just give the option to ask for an explanation.
when has this ever happened
>>
>>329788965
Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Fallout.
Just off the top of my head.
>>
>>329788940
Footnotes include extra information that expand on something or a source for a particular line/paragraph. TL notes are basically translations that, for whatever reason, can't be in the actual script because Japanese is some mythical and sacred language. So instead they put a note in top of the screen like a jackass.
>>
>>329782193
The target audience is also a factor but as far as /lit/ material is concerned, everything you said is already the standard (or at least in my country) with the exception of
>Localization should be handled by companies from the sources location. I.e. A jap game should only be localized to America by a jap company.

Because it's the opposite here: you only translate toward your native language and the translator is expected to be very knowledgeable about the culture of the country.
>>
>>329789129
>because Japanese is some mythical and sacred language
Every language has untranslatable stuff, it's absolutely not exclusive to the japanese language, it's just that japanese make a lot of game so that's why there's a lot of people complaining that this japanese game is mistranlated.

Beside, with the current trend of meme indie game/translation, it will only be a matter of time before port of old games comes with footnote because they'll need to explain dank meme to future generation.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.