[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /v/. I'm a VR gamedev. I've used all of the major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8
File: vive_3_4_2016.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
vive_3_4_2016.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
Hey /v/. I'm a VR gamedev. I've used all of the major headsets (oculus, vive, sony's thing, the gear, hololens, and that meta thing).

Ask me anything about any of them. I dev mainly for the Vive (before you ask, it's the best BY FAR of any of them). I can answer any question about the vive, the steamvr setup, etc. And most questions about the other vr/ar stuff coming out.
>>
>>329755207
Do you think VR will take off?
>>
>>329755294
Yes.

It's one of those things that even I thought was a huge gimmick. Then I tried it, was blown away, and now I'm 100% on board.

My only concern about it not taking off is if everyone just assumes it's bad. I have yet to see a single person try a vive and not have their jaw drop - including some pretty jaded guys like /v/. That being said, Valve has been doing tours around the country and letting random people try the vive, which I think is the best way they can handle marketing.
>>
Will I be able to calibrate the vertical orientation of the thing?

I have the samsung phone one but it doesn't seem to have an option to tilt the virtual horizon up so that I can comfortably lay back on a bed or recliner chair and watch a movie with my head facing the ceiling.
>>
>>329755537
On the Vive? Not from what I've seen. It's exactly 1:1 without any wiggle room. However, the software isn't really there yet.

I expect that soon we'll see a lot of "movie viewers" that will include options like you're asking. I met with a guy the other day who is essentially working on virtual desktops that you can move around the world; he setup a new "monitor" in VR and was playing dark souls in it while laying down on a couch. So if more stuff like that is made at the professional level then yeah, chilling back and watching movies will probs be a thing.
>>
>>329755728
The vive pre or the realise version?

What do you think the life cycle will be? I assume there's alot of improvements to be done.
>>
>>329755984
I've got an older dev kit laying around here somewhere. The one in the pic is the pre, which is NEARLY identical to the consumer version (so close that I actually won't bother getting the consumer version).

No one really knows about the life cycle of the vive, but I'm under the assumption it'll at least be a few years before a true "vive 2" is a thing, considering the price of the thing. I know HTC is planning a "phone vive" eventually though, basically Gear + the vive controllers.

The Pre is pretty much perfect from what I've seen over the last few months with it. No issues with tracking, battery life is pretty good (seems like 4-5 hours of constant use, and they go into sleep mode if not in use for awhile).
>>
>>329756282
What about 4k? Better tracking of digits? what do you see be in future releases and what would you like to change?
>>
>Hey guys I've used every vr set.
>But let me talk about the vive and keep bringing up the vive when it's not Mentioned.
>By the way the vive is the best.

I think the only way you could make it more obvious is by adding a trademark after everything.
>>
>>329756509

OIr maybe it's because he USED the others, but actually owns and works with the Vive as the screenshot shows?

Nope, logic hurt. SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILL
>>
>>329755207
What can you say about quality of games for it?

Are we talking wii/kinect shovelware gimmick or legit games?
>>
File: SinkDeeperGoyim.jpg (39 KB, 570x320) Image search: [Google]
SinkDeeperGoyim.jpg
39 KB, 570x320
Kill yourself, kike.
>>
>>329755207
Which has the highest resolution and/or the lowest "screen door effect"?
>>
>>329756464
Yeah, I guess the biggest drawback at the moment is that I cannot literally program in VR yet. The resolution is too low to really read small text properly. 4k would be really nice to have, I'm imagining past 8k would be overkill though.

>>329756509
Well 99% of my work is in the Vive, so I know the most about it. I've only tried the rest, and done little demos for the oculus.

>>329756593
It varies. I've seen some really nice "casual" games like Water Bears (basically a mobile game in VR, admittedly pretty fun). I've also seen really things like Job Simulator. But after seeing Budget Cuts I'm really excited for higher quality content. The company I'm working for is doing a game about the level of quality as Budget Cuts, but of course nothing like it gameplay-wise.

I think good games will come, but at launch it'll be hit or miss for most people. Hopefully hit, so we'll see more.

>>329756709
Vive has the highest resolution and framerate, and I haven't noticed a screen door effect unless the game tries to make you look ~30ish feet in front of your view.
>>
>>329756894
Vive. It can do everything the rift can do, plus has the motion controllers.

It's $200 more, but you have to consider the fact that the rift doesn't include controllers (which will probably be $150-$200 anyways, and won't be ready for months).
>>
>>329755728
>he setup a new "monitor" in VR

What's the quality like for virtual screens like that? Like, in your opinion. Does it look significantly worse than if I just played a game on my real PC monitor? Unnoticeable/minimal? Unplayably poor?

I've noticed with my Gear VR that my brain sometimes filters out the pixel noise from what I'm looking at, but it's difficult not to notice at times, especially with objects on the virtual TV that are small or far away. I'm sure the dedicated displays of the headsets are much better than my phone, obviously.

Also, is there noticeably blurring/aberration if you direct your eyes toward the edges of the lenses?
>>
>>329757094

>What's the quality like for virtual screens like that?
A resounding 'eh' - I mean it's playable. But I personally wouldn't do it for a game that required much reading. Text is still too blurry. Movies are really nice though, because you can just make a GIANT virtual screen. I haven't seen a decent tool for it yet, but I've done it myself by just opening up Unity and setting it up in there myself haha.

>Also, is there noticeably blurring/aberration if you direct your eyes toward the edges of the lenses?
Sort of, yeah. It's pretty clear that they want you looking towards the center. At first this can be a little annoying, because you have to setup a sweet spot when you first put on the headset to get visibility just right. But once it's setup it's pretty good to go. It's not a small enough FoV limit to be annoying.
>>
>>329755207
I just want to sit in my chair and play my games as i used to, with out moving around, using vr only as a way to improve visuals of the game.
Can i do that with current vr? Or do i have to move my headand body around and shit?
>>
>>329757840
You can make a giant screen in VR and project your game into that. So it'd be like using a HUGE TV. Aside from that no.
>>
>>329757840
>using vr to improve visuals

if you're just playing them on a virtual screen in a virtual room, you will actually be making the visuals worse.

I hope it will be possible for older games to get actual VR support, though. even if only for head tracking/immersion purposes. It'd be cool to play Freespace 2 again but this time actually being inside the cockpit.
>>
>>329755456
Why is it $800? There's no fucking reason for it to be $800
>>
File: 735761201_133904.gif (302 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
735761201_133904.gif
302 KB, 400x300
>vr
>taking off
>you can buy a xbone, ps4, wii u and a pc for 800 $ on sale
>>
>>329758182
The headset (HMD), the two extremely accurate motion controllers, and the two lighthouses (two black boxes you mount on your walls that shoot out a shitload of lasers that the devices use for tracking). That and the ton of R&D that was required to make it all work together.

You'll see the price start to drop in about a year or two.
>>
>>329758182
>>329758283
I'm sure a part of it is also that they don't want to sell at a loss, because why should they? When it's $600 or $800; the only people that will be buying a device like this are the only ones who can run it. People with PCs that are over a $1100 to build or $1500 to buy prebuilt. So, I'm sure that's also taken into consideration.
>>
Anything in the pipeline for augmented reality? I know that's not what these are for but it's sort of in the same vein.
>>
>>329758523
Hololens was garbage when I tried it. Small resolution with horrible FoV. It's basically just a larger google glass + some shitty quality rendering on top of the real world without any real depth perception.

"Meta" is their competitor. It looks pretty rad but is slow as fucking balls.

Don't be hyped for AR for awhile, I guess.
>>
>>329755456
It's too fucking expensive OP, it won't take off at that price
>>
>take a monitor
>strap it to your head
there i just saved you $1,000
>>
>>329758617
I thought that when I first saw the price as well. But considering that anyone who will actually buy it must have:

>$1500+ PC to run it at all
>make enough money to live in a large enough apartment/house to walk around in

I think it'll be alright. They know their target audience.
>>
>>329758408
companies never sell anything at a loss

are you retarded?

theres a catch

no way a shitty headset cost more then 149~ in parts

im sure once the drivers have been out for a while some neckbeard will make some cheap one
>>
File: waifu.png (38 KB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
waifu.png
38 KB, 355x200
>>329755207

Is the Vive for or against waifus?
>>
>>329755207
Is the vive really the better option if all I want to do is play first person games I already own in VR?
>>
>>329758291
do you have to mount them to your walls? I got little space so I would choose the rift if I have to
>>
>>329758617
seems to be in the same sort of niche as HOTAS type peripherals

it'll survive, but probably only enthusiasts will buy it until they can shrink it enough so that you don't have such a huge doofy looking hunk of plastic hanging off the front of your head
>>
do you like boy butts
>>
>>329758815
>companies never sell anything at a loss
I never said this nig nog, I said they aren't selling at a loss. Also, I think $150 is a huge exaggeration, but either way you're not thinking of the R&D cost of the thing. They announced after Oculus and are shipping Vives before the Oculus ships (+ controllers), that's an impressive amount of time to hurry the fuck up to make a superior product. You're also grossly underestimating how much hardware is in the box. HMD, two controllers, and two lighthouses.

>>329758870
The vive is waifu-neutral.

>>329758937
Neither is good for that. Most people will get motion sickness from simple "analog stick" locomotion. Games must be made for VR in order for it to feel good.

>>329759006
You can use desk stands I suppose, as long as the views aren't entirely obstructed you should be fine. Most Vives games support "standing in place" and even some that simply support sitting down for a rift-like experience. Pretty much any rift game will also work on the Vive.
>>
>>329758610
different anon, but the hololens is the only thing i could see myself purchasing as an investment into this kind of technology - VR is cool, but it just seems like one of those things that's a luxury. i can do everything with my PC now, i'm not going to really care about it until i can be fully immersed which won't happen for decades

the AR hololens really gets me though, mainly because i wouldn't be using as a primary gaming tool. will microsoft market this at doctors, or carpenters / skill trades people? i would love to be able to go in my backyard or shop and see a bill of materials for something i'm building, or see steps i've generated of something i'm putting together live/projected without having to pull out my phone or paper

is it really shitty in general? i read that it ties in with the kinect, but i imagined that they were trying to do away with that and make it like google glass-esque, as you said. i would never buy it if i was tied to a room and an xbox/kinect
>>
>>329759185
>i'm not going to really care about it until i can be fully immersed which won't happen for decades
I get what you're saying, but this is sort of like having a "I'll never watch TV until I can be in the matrix" sort of attitude. Yeah it's not 100% perfect but it's way better than anything I've seen thus far.

>is it really shitty in general?
I don't think gen 1 is going to be anything like google glass (taking it outside of a room). It'll pretty much just be for when you're at your desk or walking around your room from what I understand (albeit I could be wrong, it's not the area I work in).
>>
Whats wrong with Sony's VR? Im thinking to get it for DOA Xtreme 3
>>
>>329759401
You need a 970 to even run an Oculus or Rift.

Just consider that for a moment, and remember what kind of shitty hardware consoles have. Now imaging trying to take that shitty hardware and render a scene twice at 1080p at 90 frames per second, when the damn PS4 barely reaches 30 frames per second at 720 on many games. This is the real problem.
>>
>>329758610
>looks pretty rad but is slow as fucking balls

Just watched a video of it, I see what you mean.

Ah well. Maybe in ten or fifteen years I'll be able to wake up, put my goofy safety glasses on and then toss a Youtube video on to my bedroom wall while I get dressed.
>>
Well, I actually have two questions:

1.) How often do you get motion sickness on them? I assume that it varies, but so far, I've heard that you can get motion sickness and/or tired pretty easily.

2.) How is the Playstation VR in comparison to the Vive? You have been talking about the Vive a lot, which is only natural, but I'd like to hear your opinion on the PS VR since there aren't many opinions floating around about it.
>>
>>329759506
Ok now I know you aren't a serious gamedev. The Sony Morpheus is going to have an external GPU box with it so it can run games with an acceptable framerate, you would know this if you developed with it.
>>
Will valve fund a vr waifu game
>>
>>329759506
>render a scene twice at 1080p at 90 frames per second

Eye tracking + foveated rendering when?
>>
How do I get a Vive if I'm a dev?
>>
>>329759616
I said in the OP that I dev mostly on the Vive. I haven't devved on the sony's vr at all. That being said, the Kinect was supposed to ship with a dedicated video processor for determining movements at no cost to the game to fetch data from: we see how well that turned out.

If sony can pull it off, good for them. But if the thing has the equivalent of a 970 inside the box I'm guessing it'll be stupid expensive. Not only that, but I don't actually know a single dev working on games for it.

>>329759614
>1.) How often do you get motion sickness on them?
I haven't gotten motion sickness from the Vive at all, except for when I was testing different kinds of locomotion while devving a game for it (shit was an exhausting week, we tried all sorts of things). I've gotten pretty sick from the Oculus, but I mostly blame it on the game I was playing. Windlands or something, basically you used grappling hooks to fly around. This is when I was naive and thought it sounded cool, then I was curled in a ball for two hours and never wanted to use VR again. Bleh.

>2.) How is the Playstation VR in comparison to the Vive?
I probably sound like a shill, but so far Vive > everything else at this point. The demo I tried on the PSVR was pretty cool but I flat out don't see it taking off for a number of reasons.
>>
>>329760030
Buy a 980ti and sacrifice it to lord gabe.

That or send them an email about your game, include screenshots etc. If you know anybody else devving for the vive, ask them to send emails to valve giving you a good recommendation. The general rule is if you get three-four recommendations from other studios then they'll send you some free Vives. Otherwise good luck.
>>
>>329759616
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZVVs5O8NC0
11:50
it's not actually an external GPU, it's more like a breakout box with some additional functionality
>>
>>329760056
>The Vive is awesome and better than everything else and I never got sick with it but the smely occulus made me sick and that dumb playstation thing is stupid so everyone should probably buy the HTC Vive from Valve and stay away from those other headsets

>I'm totally not working for Valve guise, just buy the Vive

Sorry pal, I mean you might be an honest indie dev just giving your opinion but you sound way too much like a paid marketer to me for me to feel like anything you say is all that true.
>>
>>329760495
nigga I don't give a shit what you think. But you should try them all before making a purchase. It's not my fault that the vive is just objectively better than the rest.
>>
>>329760056
I work for Amazon and we were able to preview it, I asked some questions and they're using something similar to those external GPUs you see with ultrabooks nowadays. Apparently they are working on a way to get it to work with tandem with the APU on the PS4 but I really doubt that will happen. Also the PSVR will probably retail around 800-900 USD from what I've seen.
>>329759185
> the hololens is the only thing i could see myself purchasing as an investment into this kind of technology
I never used it but research it some more. Apparently the viewing area isn't very large and it isn't exactly what Microsoft is showing I'm hoping the gamedev guy could elaborate on that if he used it.
>>329760406
Wow that contradicts what I've been told, I honestly don't think the PS4 can handle VR by itself....
>>
Why should I bother with VR when I can just learn to lucid dream and experience actual "virtual" reality without paying a cent?

t. Poorfag
>>
Can you hook me up with a free vive?
>>
>>329760968
Valve sent seven boxes of vives to us, we only asked for three. So now we all have vives at home + a spare. No you can't have it, I'm greedy.
>>
>>329761057
I will make animations for you guys in return for a Vive. :^)
>>
>>329760695
>probably retail around 800-900 USD from what I've seen
That's not to surprising desu.

>Apparently the viewing area isn't very large and it isn't exactly what Microsoft is showing
Pretty much this. Isn't as fast as their marketing videos show either. Noticeable delay.

>>329761102
:(
>>
>>329755207
A virtual overlay for ableton/pro-tools, floating faders and the like. How close is the technology coming to being able to produce this? Will we see it at NAMM or a tech convention first?
>>
File: 0000-0210.webm (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
0000-0210.webm
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>329761316
I'm dead serious anon
>>
>>329758408
>When it's $600 or $800; the only people that will be buying a device like this are the only ones who can run it.

I ordered vive and I can't run it. Hopefully polaris or pascal comes before it or I'll have to buy some second hand shitty gpu.

>>329758815
>>no way a shitty headset cost more then 149~ in parts

Do you understand anything about running businesses? I co-own a company which employs 25 guys and this shit makes my blood boil. If parts cost $149, manufacturing company have to pay company taxes, employee salaries, employee 401k or something, employee's toiletpaper at work, R&D, employee's coffee (they drink fucking ton of coffee), licences for all the software, packaging the product, shipping the product, oh yeah and everything BEFORE it gets a shekel from a consumer. I have over a million usd in loans for my business which will make me lose everything I have in my name if my company goes belly up.
>>
>>329761057
Doesn't it strain the eye a bit much?
Does it make you dizzy?
Do you think we'll see them cheap ($300/$400) in the near future?
>>
>>329761471
That's not bad. You should put together a portfolio and apply around, anon. We've already got a really good 3d generalist on the team who works wonders though.

>>329761481
>Hopefully polaris or pascal comes before it
anon..

>(they drink fucking ton of coffee)
my life

>>329761490
Suprisingly not really. I imagine if you spent a solid 8 hours in it you'd start feeling like shit. But I've spent maybe 2-3 hours at a time just testing random shit in our games and haven't had a problem unless the tracking or framerate were bad that day. Speaking of which, dropped frames = vomit. Even 89 fps is noticeable, 90fps+ is absolutely required for the vive. Something about how it handles drawing the frames on the display, I don't know enough about why it behaves how it does (it almost feels like network latency or rubberbanding in an online game when frames drop).

>Do you think we'll see them cheap ($300/$400) in the near future?
probably not before a year or two
>>
>>329759616
>Ok now I know you aren't a serious gamedev. The Sony Morpheus is going to have an external GPU box with it so it can run games with an acceptable framerate, you would know this if you developed with it.

How stupid are you? There's NO FUCKING WAY this to be possible. Let me break it down to you.

How will you connect that "external GPU box" to your ps4? USB2? Imagine connecting a external gpu to your PC via usb2. Can you imagine why there are no such things? Because latency and bandwidth. It simply not physically possible.
>>
File: 0000-0225.webm (645 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
0000-0225.webm
645 KB, 960x540
>>329761767
>You should put together a portfolio and apply around, anon.
http://troy.design/

I do commissions and stuff and I have a team I'm with. I'm getting there.

>We've already got a really good 3d generalist on the team who works wonders though.
Well then I guess I'll take it for free. :^)
>>
>>329761767
>Surprisingly not really.
I was really concerned about this, i'm glad is not the case.
>>
>pleaze buy vive because my indie games will be there
>>
>>329762078
I work at a pretty small indie studio who is making a vive games, but I myself am not making vive games. The success of the vive doesn't really directly affect me financially.
>>
>>329761896
You're bad at arm positioning. The orientations look awkward. visualize how you would operate the gun with your own arms.
>>
File: 0000-0100.webm (559 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
0000-0100.webm
559 KB, 1920x1080
>>329762248
Not sure how else you'd hold the gun at that angle. I have an AR and did hold it like that for reference.
>>
>>329762207
>pleaze buy vive because my company's indie games will be there. If it success they will have enough money to fund my project.
>>
>>329762517
No? I actually run a company on the side, just in case shit ever hits the fan with that company I'm still making enough money from my own projects (entirely self funded) that I would be okay until finding another job. Not really worried, anon.
>>
>>329761896
Heh you have the proper animation for non-NATO reloading but Tripwire couldnt get that right for the Vietcong and their reload animation in the latest Rising Storm 2 vids, which copies NATO reload (right hand grip, mag handled with left)
>>
File: 0000-0165.webm (980 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
0000-0165.webm
980 KB, 1920x1080
>>329762719
I try to be mostly accurate with my animations. As far as I know it's tricky to reload Saiga's with a closed bolt and is just less hassle to open it then reload.

It bothers me so much that some of my client's models are off. The Saiga's bolt doesn't actually open, and this M4 is atrocious on multiple levels.
>>
What do you think about PSVR?
Will it be successful?
Is it good enough to attract people?
How is that interpolation of frames working on PSVR?
>>
could you slap a 3d camera, like a kinect or some shit, onto a vr kit and develop some kind of augmented virtual reality? is this a stupid question?
>>
>>329763064
>What do you think about PSVR?
eh

>Will it be successful?
probably not

Is it good enough to attract people?
eh

How is that interpolation of frames working on PSVR?
I don't know enough to answer that. The only demo I tried didn't seem to have any real issues, but it was just meh.
>>
i'll consider buying one when there is fleshlight compatibility
>>
>>329761446
OP, eyes up front, what's the deal?
>>
>>329763198
That's basically hololens, which is meh.

>>329763229
Pretty sure that's a thing already, but it might be oculus only? Surely they'll add vive support for the controller input though, I'd imagine.

>>329761446
>>329763251
I went to this event in LA where some guy was showing off his Vive game demo of a music studio. Was mostly just for dicking around but I definitely see the potential for it. At the end of the day though, you'll always be most productive with just a monitor or two in front of your face and a keyboard/mouse to work with. But hey I could be wrong.
>>
What type of hardware do you use? Do you think the 290/970 minimum requirements will be able to hold up?
>>
>>329763685
970 is the minimum spec, a 290 is probably okay. Pretty much every dev I know is acting like developing for the vive/rift is like developing for a console with a 970, so you should be good.
>>
Alright anons. This was fun but it looks like the comments on dying down.

Take it easy, I'm out for the night unless anyone has any crazy questions
>>
>>329764307
Good night m8
>>
>>329755207
Does Valve have anything up their sleeve to make the Vive really worth owning or am I stuck playing indie games with graphics from the 90s?

Im in it for the immersion but its really annoying to see the lack of visual fidelity from the headline Vive games. 2 steps forward 1 step back.
>>
>>329755207
When will we get VR porn games on the Vive?
>>
>>329759146
>Pretty much any rift game will also work on the Vive.

This. This right here is what will fucking break or make the Vive.

I preordered the Vive two days ago. I did this on the assumption that Oculus won't go full jew and lock their store to be unusable by Vive.

From your standpoint, which is the better headset to buy knowing that Oculus aka Facebook can lock their store at their discretion at any time?
>>
>>329764307
Answer this please.
>>329767127
>>
>>329755207
have you tried leap? is it worth getting for your vr headset?
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.