[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone actually legitimately defended the countless flaws
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4
File: header.jpg (32 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
32 KB, 460x215
Has anyone actually legitimately defended the countless flaws in this masterpiece without saying something along the lines of "it was designed like that on purpose, stop trying to make it into a different game just because you're bad at it"?
>>
No one has ever said it was flawless. It has a ton of problems.

Graphics is one.
Muddy textures is another
Movement not being fine enough for platforming is another
The fact that the game has any platforming at all is another.
Power weapons being absurdly better than piercing is one.
Especially when you get into the realm of spears and halberds, which are worthless.

I would say that more people are going to claim that DeS has fewer flaws than DaS, but even DeS has its problems.
>>
>>329751569
Don't forget shit clipping through walls
>>
The game sucks dick after O&S.
>>
>>329751764
Yes, that. That's a longrunning problem that they can't fix because it would make defeating 90% of the enemies braindead easy.
>>
>>329751569
>No one has ever said it was flawless

Oh, if only that were true.

The other thing I'm having a hard time understanding is how this game became so insanely popular out of nowhere. I definitely understand the appeal of this game and games like it, but it seems like one of the most active and vocal video game fanbases around, aside from mainstream AAA fans that won't even remember that their best game ever, even existed a few years later.
>>
>>329751946
>The other thing I'm having a hard time understanding is how this game became so insanely popular out of nowhere

Because no other game puts that kind of challenge on you while offering the kind of freedom it offers.

Other games tried, let's not sell them short. I think the closest I can think of to Dark Souls which gets the combat and upgrading feel just right is Dark Messiah. It's a Dark Messiah game with budget, exploration, and killer level design.

Which for many people, is what they wanted for years but could never get.
>>
>>329751946
fun + challenging + good art & style
>>
>>329752109
>It's a Dark Messiah game with budget, exploration, and killer level design.

And less kicks.
>>
>>329751946
Demon's Souls achieved cult status and so when Dark Souls came out every xbox owner and eventually pc owner wanted a piece of the cake they'd spent years hearing about.
>>
>>329752109
>Because no other game puts that kind of challenge on you while offering the kind of freedom it offers.

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you, but that's not what I meant. What you're saying is a good reason for the game to be popular, but there were lots of games before Dark Souls that did things like that, sometimes they even did it better, arguably. Stuff like Demon's Souls and King's Field come to mind, but even though they'd been around for over a decade, this type of game never caught on, until it suddenly randomly did, with Dark Souls. That's what I find confusing.
>>
>>329752283

Could you imagine dark souls with a kick like that though? I can, and its fucking hilarious
>>
>Dragon bridge
>Ceaseless Discharge.
>Capra demon.
>Dragon asses.
>Bed of Chaos

Only parts of the game I'd call a major issue
>>
>>329751357
The weakest parts are Lost Izalith and Bed of Chaos. People exaggerate all of the other things, which aren't even that bad for a 5 year old game.
>>
>>329752516
lad, you don't understand
the hype caught up with demon's soul
DaS sold like hotcakes because DeSfags praised the game everwhere and generated the hype.
>>
>>329752516
>What you're saying is a good reason for the game to be popular, but there were lots of games before Dark Souls that did things like that, sometimes they even did it better, arguably. Stuff like Demon's Souls and King's Field come to mind, but even though they'd been around for over a decade, this type of game never caught on, until it suddenly randomly did, with Dark Souls. That's what I find confusing.

Being on lots of platforms helped. Despite what /v/ will tell you, exclusivity is not a good thing for developers. It's only a good thing for console manufacturers.
>>
>>329752663

>dragon bridge
>ceaseless discharge
>capra

not issues, especially capra
>>
>>329752516

Different anon offering my 2 cents. Demon Souls and Dark Souls both perfectly nailed the dark fantasy aesthetic in a way no other game has before. I played through blind and it had a visceral feel to it, if you catch my drift. It sucked me in because tensly exploring a new area with my shield raised was engrossing and intense. As a born fantasy nerd it finally gave me an experience worthy of the dark fantasy label.

Its not without faults but I think anybody who says something 'is literally the best' has a really narrow minded approach to games already.

Good thread btw
>>
>>329753013
That's kind of ironic. The series became super popular and made tons of money because it was known for being hard, so now later games in the series abuse that reputation and make just as hard of games, with worse difficulty, and it's all because fans tried to share their love with the world? This is a cruel irony not unlike the lore in the actual games.
>>
>>329751357
I always liked demons souls better. Dark souls was just alright to me. I played until I got to the archers in anor londo, then stopped playing for like 3 months because I couldn't figure out how to get past.

I beat the game too easily after I read online about what to do.
>>
Worst fight for me was Taurus.
not because it was hard, but because camera angle on the bridge put it right inside his junk.

DaS has a lot of boss battles where the camera doesn't know what the fuck to do, so it'll pan upward toward his face when you need to be up in his junk. Resulting in getting a good look at his ass while missing every one of his telegraphed attacks.
>>
>>329753387

stop locking on tard
>>
>>329752604
I can, and I want it.
>>
>>329753387

man if you had trouble with fucking taurus you just suck
>>
>>329752604
It's only fun with a a lot of conspicuously placed piked racks.
>>
>>329753432
I should be able to lock on in every fight in the game and still have a good camera angle. It's a serious flaw of the camera design that Taurus, Asylum Demon #2, Smough, and basically every huge boss decides to lock onto a part of his face and zoom into his crotch.

It's a problem, not a feature. Having to un-lock just to see isn't an 'acceptable' solution.
>>
>>329753569
It would be even better if you had the laser whip from Bulletstorm. Yank them towards you then kick them into stuff/each other.
>>
File: tumblr_m9nhalVXH91rdlm2no3_1280.png (564 KB, 1060x800) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m9nhalVXH91rdlm2no3_1280.png
564 KB, 1060x800
>>329753660
>he locks onto every single enemy
>>
>>329753929
Onto bosses? Yeah. I should be able to. I don't expect them to test EVERY enemy or even every possible camera angle, but I expect them to at least test the bosses and their camera angles.

Bear in mind, this is a problem that I don't think exists anywhere in Demons Souls.
>>
Unfinished mess that goes to shit after Anal Rodeo, but still the most fun I had last gen, besides DeS. Dunno why, but I like it more than DeS.
>>
>>329751841
>>329754256
>le game sucks after you get le Lordvessel!

Garbage meme opinion
>>
>>329754256

I think I like DaS's style more. DeS kinda felt like the game knew it was a game, visually speaking. Probably sounds retarded, but yea.
>>
>>329754256
I'm the opposite, I like DeS better. For some reason everything feels smoother and more well thought out.
>>
>>329754561

>le

Kill yourself.
>>
>>329754561
It's propaganda repeated by DaS2 apologists, until people start accepting it as truth.
>>
>>329751357
>something along the lines of "it was designed like that on purpose, stop trying to make it into a different game just because you're bad at it"?

Nobody has ever said that. Even the biggest FROMfaggots fully admit the game is janked in many areas and pretty shit after Anor Londo.

The game is still awesome and one of the better (if not the best) experience of the past five years, but it's not perfect.
>>
>>329754561
Miyazaki quite literally apologized for it, you can't find much more proof than that.
>>
>>329754881

I'm in the opinion that DaS goes to shit after Anal Rodeo, and DaS2 goes to shit from the get-go.
>>
>>329754561
Well, Ornstein and Smough are the best boss fight in the game. After you beat them, you fight such wonderful enemies as the four kings, the bed of chaos, that giant lava tentacle guy that can be instakilled, etc. Basically they saved all the garbage bosses for that phase of the game. The game aside from the bosses is just fine at that part though.
>>
>>329751569
SKS is great though, faggot
>>
>>329754995
You never saw the blighttown fps is on purpose post?
>>
>>329751946
I didnt know this game was popular until people on /v/ starting saying it was popular. I dont know anyone irl who plays this shit
>>
>>329754561

Oh fuck off, even Miyazaki himself says the areas after that are all rushed, especially Izalith and Bed of Crap. He fucking had to apologize for that.
>>
>>329755198
No, and it sounds like such obvious bait you should feel ashamed for falling for it.
>>
>>329755080
>hating nito, the best boss in the game
SHIT TASTE FRIENDO
>>
>>329755080
> not artorias
>>
>>329755285
You're living in a dream world, Alice.
>>
a reasonable Dark Souls thread? what the FUCK is happening
>>
most of the areas after anor londo are pretty neat other than izalith
>>
>>329755339
Yeah, he was pretty good actually. Although it's annoying how much he abuses your limited stamina bar.
>>
>>329751569
>spears
>halberds
>worthless
What the fuck? Poking/pierce weapons are among the best depending on what you're trying to go for. Rapier types are great for backstabs/ripostes; Estos in particular was very versatile. Most of the guys who PvPed seriously used spears due to the directional advantage one had over someone else. Otherwise, going for an Int buff build worked better with Dex than Str.
>>
File: 1432849498001.png (13 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
1432849498001.png
13 KB, 418x359
I don't understand how dumb you have to be to have trouble with

>dragon bridge
>capra
>bed of chaos (yes, it sucks, but it's not hard)
>>
>>329755715

Do you honestly believe complains about BoC are due to difficulty?
>>
>>329755080
O & S is deff an awesome fight and probably the most difficult for first time players but it's by no means the best. Best boss and area is prob TOTG and Nito.
>>
>>329755334
>>329756332
I honestly always thought that people hated the Nito fight.
>>
>>329755074
>>329755279
Izalith is trash but the other areas and bosses are still good. Post-Londo might not be as tense as the first half of the game but anybody who replays the game always rushes to get the Vessel.
>>
>>329756496
It's really not that great. Forced knee explosions and a mob of enemies to haul around. Sure you don't have to fight the adds, but having tons of enemies in a fight is usually unfun bullshit. Kind of like what people complained about in DaS2.
>>
>>329756651
>but anybody who replays the game always rushes to get the Vessel

Weird, I usually take my time with it because Sen's is my favorite area.
>>
File: 139646781157.png (301 KB, 661x667) Image search: [Google]
139646781157.png
301 KB, 661x667
>>329751569
The point of spears is being able to attack behind a shield. Which is quite helpful.
>>
>>329756496
Fuck no Nito is the man. Everyone I know who plays Dark Souls always goes for him first after Anor Londo. Tomb of Giants has amazing atmosphere and the fight is a great conclusion to it. And ghe fact that you can get in the warp tomb in The Catacombs and see him before you fight him is awesome.
>>
>>329756781
>Sen's is my favorite area.
I wish they had made the entire game like Sen's Fortress.
>>
>countless flaws in this masterpiece
Isn't that a contradiction
>>
>>329756781
Really? Thats interesting, you might be the only person I've ever seen whose favorite area is Sen's. What makes you like it the best?
>>
>>329757140
Not that anon but it really grew on me after my first playthrough. It's too short to be my favorite area but I really started to dig it once I learned to use the traps and shit in my favor. There's also some really useful items laying around if you have the balls to go after them and explore.
>>
>>329757140
>you might be the only person I've ever seen whose favorite area is Sen's

Are you shitting me?

I know a fuckload of people who love fuck around in Sen's.

Most fun area to invade, and get invaded in.

Hidden roof is best fight club location.
>>
>>329757140
There are people who didn't like Sen's funhouse?
>>
>>329757140
I'm not him, but I also really like Sen's Fortress. The whole area (jumping puzzle notwithstanding) is a good representation of what makes Dark Souls good: walking around slowly, looking at your environment and taking things carefully, and having a very easy but interesting time by doing so.

Most areas in the game present a challenge with a nearby cliff and two or three enemies at once, but Sen's Fortress is awesome because it not only has good and interesting level design, but that level design meshes perfectly with the gameplay style of this game. That's just my opinion though.
>>
>>329757328
I've never heard it called that before but you're 100% right.

Even has a ball pit
>>
>>329757269
I forget what else but obviously the covetous serpent ring is essential.

>>329757291
I got into Dark Souls too late to bother with learning how to invade in that game. Not a fan of PVP in the Souls games.

>>329757447
On my first playthrough I had a shit-ton of Souls first time going through, so it was tense as fuck. I never thought of it as a bad area, I just never thought it was cool enough to be anyone's favorite, but I completely see why you like it so much.
>>
>>329757719
>I've never heard it called that before
>you might be the only person I've ever seen whose favorite area is Sen's
This is your first Souls thread?
>>
>>329757962
Not the same person. Usually when I hear about Sen's it's called "That place you go to duel".
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.