[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone else expect the Arcande University to be a bit more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: latest[1].png (917 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
917 KB, 1024x576
Did anyone else expect the Arcande University to be a bit more grander?
>>
>Expecting a fancy college for people that wear fuckin robes

Wizards seem to appreciate simplicity in non-magical things
>>
>>329723682
I expected most locations in Bethesda games to be bigger in general
>>
File: 1357006181763.jpg (213 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
1357006181763.jpg
213 KB, 1536x1152
>>329723814
To be fair, even if they made the locations 10x bigger they'd just feel 10x emptier. You'd think that working with something the size of a shoebox they'd at least find a way to stuff some life into it.
>>
There was a mod that was going to make it better but it canceled

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/9711/?
>>
It's big enough. There isn't much else to add to it.
>>
I was expecting it to be more like an actual university where the quest line would be actually taking classes and learning about magic. The quests it has should have really been given to you once you graduated. Mages Guild was the worst faction in Oblivion because of this.

For example in the Thieves guild you begin as a nobody and you need to prove yourself by actually being a thief, the Dark Brotherhood has you taking on increasingly more complicated contracts and so does the Fighters guild. But in the Mage's guild you are immediately trusted with the affairs of the institution like you've been with them forever
>>
>>329726231
the game is primarily about killing things, so making a fighters guild is easy (too easy - the fighter's guild is usually boring because it's the same stuff you're doing anyway). likewise the assassins guild. the game also has a subsystem for stealing, so they can make a thieves guild without much trouble.

but there's no specific gameplay for magic seperate from other stuff. you just use magic to kill things or steal things, all mages are either fighters or thieves who happen to use magic for their job. it's hard to make a full questline about learning magic when the mechanics for learning magic are just talking to some guy and suddenly knowing a spell. there's no particular reason for the mage's guild to exist but bethesda isn't very original.
>>
Dark Brotherhood > Thieves Guild > Fighters Guild > Mages Guild
>>
>>329724240
>>329724240
>if they made the locations 10x bigger they'd just feel 10x emptier
They have a fucking construction set. All they have to do is hire a guy to fucking drag, drop, and design shit. There's nothing limiting devs from making bigger detailed maps except for laziness.
>>
>>329723682
you can say that to the entire Oblivion world.

Everything was fucking tiny and pointless. Entire towns with like 12 buildings in them.

These games are fucking shit.
>>
>>329727540
>Dark Brotherhood
>all your brothers and sisters end up dead unless you use a certain mod
>>
>>329727613
you uh... have no idea how game development works do you?
>>
File: Dawmstarmain.png (2 MB, 1087x900) Image search: [Google]
Dawmstarmain.png
2 MB, 1087x900
Cannot be worst than Dawnstar, that is stated in canon that it's harbor is so large that it can house the entire imperial fleet.
>>
>>329727738
>m-muh console limitations!
This dumb motherfucker conveniently forgets why cell transitions are used on towns and dense areas.
>>
>>329726231
>But in the Mage's guild you are immediately trusted with the affairs of the institution like you've been with them forever

What? I remember running around from one guildhouse to another doing menial tasks before the let me enter the University. Which was a fucking letdown, but whatever. Holy fuck the voice of the Archmage. I couldn't stop laughing for minutes.
>>
>>329723682
>Did anyone else expect the Arcande University to be a bit more grander?

Did anyone else expect the Puzzle Canal to actually have a fucking puzzle?
>>
>>329727979
Anon, the entire imperial fleet is right there in your picture.
>>
The Mages Guild is probably has the second darkest questline in the game. By the end many of it's members end up dead
>>
>>329727613
>There's nothing limiting devs from making bigger detailed maps except for laziness.

Time and money are pretty big limiting factors.
>>
>>329728113
Nobody said anything about console limitations.
>>
>>329727979
>Why is dawnstar so small
p-political turmoil has ravaged the city...
>Why is riften so small?
...someone forgot to shut off their nvidia card
>Why is winterhold so small
s-some shit happened 1000 billion miles away that caused the sea to -COME ALIVE!
>>
File: 22423.jpg (6 KB, 328x328) Image search: [Google]
22423.jpg
6 KB, 328x328
>>329728552
>Time and money are pretty big limiting factors.
>Bethesda
Just think for a moment.
>>
>>329728631
It was pretty funny though. This was the first time they kind of seemed embarrassed about the small cities, embarrassed enough to try to bullshit some explanation. Normally they are just "yeah, this important city has 10 buildings. What of it?" .
>>
>>329728586
Then he's a complete retard if he believes Bethesda can't "afford" to hire more level designers. Hell modders even made a procedural generating program for morrowind so modders can spend more time fine tuning and editing the more important parts of dungeon design.
>>
>>329728951
They fucked around and wasted so much time that the game still ended up rushed.
>>
>>329727289
>Here's a really cool spell that you can only learn from the mages guild because of all your studying and knowledge and stuff

boom, mage's guild fixed
>>
I saw a mudcrab the other day.
>>
File: bethesda is trash.jpg (1 MB, 2876x1324) Image search: [Google]
bethesda is trash.jpg
1 MB, 2876x1324
>>329723682
Who cares TES games and Bethesda are objectively shit.
>>
>>329729756
That's what /v/ says about everything. Seriously there's always at least one person in a thread that says the exact same thing about a different game.
>>
>>329728408
That doesn't make it dark though. Fighter's Guild had a darker story imo
>>
>>329729693
>whats is spellmaking?
Shit people, did you even play the game?
>>
>>329729693
Weren't Skyrim's master spells basically that? They even had their own exam quests and shit.
>>
>>329727979
sure it is just another translation error :^)
>>
File: 2013-03-26_00001.jpg (73 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
2013-03-26_00001.jpg
73 KB, 1024x768
>>329729756
>modded Oblivion

That doesn't look all that much better than vanilla.
>>
>>329728408
which would be the darkest one?
>>
>>329729693
that doesn't make it any more interesting unless you somehow incorporate the studying and knowledge and stuff
>>
>>329727289
I like the alchemy stuff
>>
>>329727289
They could make quests that are sort of "attend this lectures to learn x spell, or search for x book and learn x spell. Now let's apply that spell in a real situation and send you into a dungeon or whatever. The only quest that gives this experience is the one where you have to get the ring in the well.

They could also make it so you can't progress magical skills beyond the Journeyman level without receiving training from the university. And to solve the whole, "I want to be a mage but not join the mage's guild" they could have a mage hidden somewhere that could give you the same training. Of course this is Bethesda we're talking about. I like their games but damn their openness sorta ruins them sometimes.

>>329728141
Yeah but aren't those quests that are given to even allow you to get into the actual guild? After that you immediately start reporting to the second highest member of the guild, like you were the head of one of the chapters. And no other student got this treatment, I mean it would make sense if there were a lot of other members doing stuff like you, but nope there aren't.
>>
>>329729748
Horrible creatures
>>
File: 4fa.jpg (33 KB, 537x416) Image search: [Google]
4fa.jpg
33 KB, 537x416
That's because its true.
>>
>>329723682
I didn't expect enchanting to be so incredibly gimped compared to Morrowind.
I still liked the place and it was one of my favourite places of Oblivion. But running around and flying through hollow tree trunks and shit in Morrowind to craft spells felt much more magical. And while smaller in space it felt more tightly packed with content.

I have to say that I really liked the Arcane University's garden and readily available flora in general. Aside from how I would have wanted more NPCs and more magical action going on at the place in general, it really did feel as an arcane university.

So I don't know.
IwasImpressedButDisappointedStill/10
Actually summarises a lot of Oblivion. But I still liked it.
>>
it's my favorite thing in gaming when normies look back at oblivion now and realize how shit it was
>>
>>329731628
>spell crafting
>gimped

Nigga I had a parlyze spell that also dealt a shit ton of damage, there was nothing it couldn't kill
Spell crafting was broken as fuck
>>
>>329731850
Notice how I said enchanting and not spell crafting. Though I did mention spell crafting later, that was not in reference to it being gimped.

But enchanting was horribly gimped. In previous elder scrolls games you could dump seemingly endless gold into enchanting and you could grow endlessly powerful in relation to it.
But Oblivion put restrictions on enchanting where you weren't allowed to spend more resources even if you had them.
>>
>>329732141
Then use a mod
http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/18072/?
>>
>>329732141
Yeah enchanting really sucked in Oblivion aside from Chameleon enchants with black soul gems.

It was even worse when you realized going through all the trouble of doing the mages guild quests in every town just to get access to the arcane university and then trapping a bunch of grand souls got you worse enchantments from the ones you could get by going into a gate and saving before you closed it.
>>
>>329732141
Oh sorry, I'm tired as fuck and read that wrong. Move along citizen
>>
>>329732141
A lot of Oblivion's restrictions were put in place due to the popular criticisms of Morrowind's balance. Like you I prefer the total lack of restriction a la Morrowind, but as a game rather than a sandbox there are valid arguments for them. Still, there was some fun to be had in that regard; stacking Chameleon is still just as bullshit as it was before, for example.
>>
>>329732585
>stack 100% chameleon
>many quests in the game break because they require AI to notice you and talk to you and chameleon fucks with that
>>
>>329732663
Well, sure, but "game-breaking" is kind of the point if you're doing that shit. You don't have to wear it constantly.
>>
>>329732585
>but as a game rather than a sandbox there are valid arguments for them.
Not really. There is room for arguments to be made about making it harder to achieve. But the arguments for making it impossible are just silly.
>>
>>329732789
I just thought it was amusing that you'd occasionally have to strip naked for some questlines.

Also a lot of quests where people are supposed to attack you will have them lose aggro and then I'd just kill them, complete the quest, and get arrested later for murder.
>>
>>329732868
it's never impossible. if you want to break the game you can just use the console.
>>
>>329732585
>not stacking 100% reflect damage
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.