[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there ever been a game with such a poor translation that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: 4944_front.jpg (59 KB, 640x639) Image search: [Google]
4944_front.jpg
59 KB, 640x639
Has there ever been a game with such a poor translation that it was unplayable?

Pic related for me: It's this first person hack and slash from the makers of SMT that was so horrible butchered by SEGA's translation department that it's impossible to listen to.

Which is a shame because it's really fun and has a cool plot where you fight magical neo-Nazis. Translation patch when?
>>
I ended up buying two copies of that game. I still have them. I didn't realize I already had it.

My backlog is out of control.
>>
>>329723324
I like the artstyle. I don't have a dreamcast though.

I still do want a translation of the PSP version of EP though.
>>
>>329723561
How could you not like Kaneko's art
>>
>>329723324
Is the translation actually bad or is just the dub voice acting terrible? Because those are two entirely different things.
>>
>>329723561
>I don't have a dreamcast though

That's why God gave us emulation
>>
>>329723620
Both.

Which makes it really terrible, because you know there's a cool plot behind the censorship and wooden acting but it's so out of reach.
>>
>>329723881
God fucking damnit.
>>
>>329723324
Just play the much better remake.
Maken Shao is literally better in every way.
The only censored bit it retains is the swastika but that is censored in Jap version as well similarly to Hitler and swastikas in P2P.
>>
>>329723762
I'm completely unfamiliar with dreamcast emulation. Mostly I just have a shitload of games to play and I really can't be bothered since I never had one and I don't care about its games.

However I assume the system emulates better than other consoles from the same gen?
>>
>>329724075
The unfortunate problem with that is that Maken Shao is a buggy mess, which makes it tough to play.

Furthermore, you can tell the game was designed for first-person, and Maken Shao doesn't adjust the game enough for third-person. It plays like an FPS from an awful perspective.

That's why the DC version would be GOAT if it wasn't for horrendous translation.
>>
>>329723324
The dub seems pretty standard for the time honestly. Shenmue and Resident Evil's dubs are horrible as well, but that shouldn't keep you from playing a good game.
>>
File: 21.jpg (210 KB, 772x1596) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
210 KB, 772x1596
>Maken thread
Holy shit. Maken Shao is much better, emulate it on PS2. Does anyone know how to unlock the ???? marks on the title screen? I beat the game twice and got different endings, but I have no idea how to unlock that shit. There's are literally no guides anywhere for this game.

>>329723881
The only censored thing is the swastika, which would have completely stopped the game being released anywhere in Europe for a start. It's pretty clear what the redesign is trying to convey, so I'll take it.
>>
>>329724323
The broken translation is what makes X completely unplayable compared to Shao, even despite different camera.
I mean Shao is just the better version of the game.
>>
>>329724075
Shao is in third person, which makes playing the game pointless, because there's a million better third person games to be playing. Not many non-RPG first person hack n slashers out there.
>>
Breath of Fire 2 had a pretty horrible translation.
>>
>>329724459
Shao is awful m8
>>
>>329724368
It's not the dub that's the problem, the translation was literally butchered in many ways.
It has THIS GUY IS OF SICK tier translation in addition to massive censorship.

>>329724579
>>329724697
>MUH FIRST PERSON
First you bitch about story being incomprehensible.
Now when I give you a way to experience the story properly you bitch about MUH GAMEPLAY acting as if Maken X is a good first person game to begin with when it's not. Fucking Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2, a game that's like 6 years older, has much better first person melee gameplay.
>>
>>329724832
>>329724697
What's the difference?
>>
>>329724918
Between X and Shao?
Shao: Proper translation, expanded gameplay, better graphics, third person camera.
X: Garbage translation and massive censorship, less content, worse graphics, first person camera.
>>
>>329724201
As far as I'm aware it definitely emulates better than, say, PS2. Maybe not quite as well as Gamecube and Wii but I've no idea.

As a bonus some DC emulators also run the NAOMI arcade system. It's got some good games too.
>>
>>329725091
>As far as I'm aware it definitely emulates better than, say, PS2
You're incorrect then.
NullDC is absolutely garbage compared to modern PCSX2.
PCSX2 nowadays has perfect software emulation of pretty much everything, and in hardware games like MGS3 and Snowblind Engine stuff (Dark Alliance, Champions of Norath) are perfect as well.
PCSX2 went through record speed breakthroughs in the past year due to a new extremely talented programmer called Gregory joining the PCSX2 team.
>>
File: 26.jpg (187 KB, 1048x1648) Image search: [Google]
26.jpg
187 KB, 1048x1648
>>329725091
>PCSX2
It's a great emu, anon. I was able to emulate Drakengard at 4x res, with barely any problems and my PC is now a good 3 years old.

Maken Shao isn't great by any means though - it's weird and crazy, but also floaty and awkward to play. I liked that the MC is a sword, and most of your "allies" don't mind you taking their bodies and - from what I understood - you kinda kill their brain.
>>
>>329725576
I never meant to imply PCSX2 was bad, I've just seen a few people report problems with it. I've gotten it to run quite a few games fine as well.
>>
>>329725091
To be fair, I'm a little behind on the emulation scene. I wasn't aware it improved to such an extent so quickly.

My mistake, sorry for the old info, anon.
>>
>>329725576
PCSX 2 just keeps better and better.

I played through MGS2 on it a few months ago and I had so much slowdown everywhere on hardware.

On the new version there's no lag at all. It's crazy and I wish I had that for my first runthrough
>>
File: highimpact.jpg (63 KB, 476x492) Image search: [Google]
highimpact.jpg
63 KB, 476x492
>Maken X
I wish Atlus would return to this game and try to make a sequel if a cleaned up remake would fare well
>>
SAO Hollow Fragment was machine English if the machine was blasted by an EMP.
>>
>>329724918
Ignore the Shao shill.
Shao has the same censorship as X US/EU. Graphics are more or less the same (Dreamcast version can be played in VGA).
Shao's gameplay is inferior due to the third person setup.
>>
>>329726978
>Shao has the same censorship as X US/EU.
But it doesn't. Literally the only censorship is changing swastikas into Kanji which is present in Jap version of Shao as well due to new Jap laws.
Maken X had much more censorship than just removing swastikas you fucking retard. It also has completely butchered translation.
Shao has objectively better graphics so again you're just blatantly lying.
Camera is very much a subjective kind of thing and doesn't make the game.
Even if he found first person camera better, he should still play Shao if he doesn't want butchered story and translation.
>>
>>329724832
>MUH STORY

Fuck off and read a book, then.
>>
>>329723324
Age of Wushu was a MMO we had a /v/ guild in a couple years ago before it turned to shit.
The translation was so fucking horrible it was often a mystery what you were required to do. Worst of all, various texts referred to the same obscure chingchong things using different names that looked nothing alike, including items in quest objectives.
Honestly though, it was all pretty fun since you actually had to ask players for help or experiment. No fucking wikis either. It had that sense of adventure modern MMOs miss.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.