[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fact: This would've been the best game of last gen if it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: CopyofSonicUnleashed[1].jpg (79 KB, 518x603) Image search: [Google]
CopyofSonicUnleashed[1].jpg
79 KB, 518x603
Fact: This would've been the best game of last gen if it weren't for the werehog. This is LITERALLY undebatable
>>
I don't remember the Werehog being that bad
>>
Gameplay is too linear and boost to win, and even if the combat was shit the platforming was kinda nice and his levels were god tier in atmosphere and aesthetics.
>>
>>329719412
If the werehog combat was better, it would've been the best sonic game.

A combination of going fast with fluid and non-repetitious combat would've been a recipe for a good, changing gameplay.

The game failed to live up to the hype that the opening established.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqHxGoFERZw
>>
>>329719520
It wasn't that bad, the problem was that the werehog sections hit the pace of the game harder than a train.
>>
Werehog had better music.
>>
>>329719412
I hated the living fucking shit out of the hub worlds and the zones that connected them to the stages.

I hated that the Homing Attack was mapped to the X Button instead of the A button.

Generations still beats it, I'm sorry.
>>
>>329720231
>I hated the living fucking shit out of the hub worlds and the zones that connected them to the stages.
do you hate comfy? i mean shit, they were mostly optional aside from maybe 5 or so people that you -have- to talk to
>>
>>329720457
I didn't find them to be comfy. Unleashed made moving around in close quarters a chore as Sonic.

Plus, a Sonic game deserves more surreal shit making up its world. Real world shit is both relatively bland, and out of place.

SA1 did hub worlds better, but still could have been a lot better.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cET7afZKT-w

The hot dog missions of this stage still haunts my dreams to this day.
>>
>>329719743
Uh the day stages were the same as that opening family

>>329720673
Nah real is fine for sonic, this game handled it way. It wasnt bland like sa2 or 06

>>329720746
JUSTO
>>
>>329722029
>It wasnt bland like sa2 or 06
I'll agree to disagree with you there.
>>
>boosts
whooooo!!!
>>
>>329722336
Its all thanks to the hedgehog engine and is still the best looking sonic. You really cant say with a straight face that anywhere in sa2 or 06 looked better than adabat or spagonia night.
>>
>>329722531
>Its all thanks to the hedgehog engine and is still the best looking sonic
now we're comparing their graphical quality?
>>
>>329722787
Graphic and art

Where you the guy who said generations was better?
>>
>>329724064
Yeah. What exactly do you mean by Graphic and Art though? Might help me better nail down what bugs me about it.
>>
>>329719412
Sonic Generations did the daytime stages better.

Unleashed daytime stages felt way too much like they were 90% glorified QTE. Between that and the werehog gameplay I stopped after the first area.
>>
>>329724398
I mean straight up graphics. Textures, water, shadows and lighting. Art i mean the design of architectures and level/hub backgrounds. Generations is blander looking, seaside hill doesnt look as good as adabat. Speed highway doesnt look as sharp as empire city. And so on

Classic sonic is the werehog of generations to, those stages suck

>>329724401
Nah generations made them really short, easy and stuffed them with to much 2D. Unleashed was way harder than generations and had much better, longer, faster more 3D levels
>>
>>329719412

>It would have been the best game of last gen if 50% (more like 75% if we're going by real time) of the game wasn't shit.

Really now?
>>
>>329725170
Why 50%? And theres not a game last gen with better graphics, music, or sense of speed and fun
>>
>>329724879
>seaside hill doesnt look as good as adabat. Speed highway doesnt look as sharp as empire city
I'll take your word for it, since I can't be bothered to pop both games in and compare those specific qualities at the moment. However, a few posts ago we were comparing these things to SA2 and 06.

I'll grant you that Unleashed handled "real world Sonic" better than those two, but I still have to disagree that it does this to an extent necessary to justify "real world Sonic".

Classic Sonic being the "Werehog" of the game is only to Generations' benefit. The only problem with Generations' classic Sonic gameplay is that it's NOT a perfect representation of the Genesis gameplay.
>>
>>329725315

Because half (50%!) of the stages are werehog stages, and the werehog stages are terrible, like the OP implies.
Though werehog stages take much longer than speed stages, so its probably a lot more than 50% of the game.
>>
>>329719412
It looked the best, and the music was amazing
The Werehog stages weren't too bad
>>
>>329725468
Well I dont really care for the fake surreal zones in the old sonics. For me i prefer the psychedelic style of cd or the real world with surreal elements like unleashed. If not for unleashed then SA1 wouldve handled real world places best, but i find sa2 and 06 extremely bland looking, not sure if its the graphics or art styles fault but theyre just pain ful to look at. I give unleashed the upper hand in this case because of how perfect the graphic engine is and how beautiful every continent is painstakingly made. As someone else said, the aesthetics of the night stages, no thanks to the lighting once again, are just drop dead gorgeous. spagonia and adabat night are visual perfection and really makes you feel amazed at what video games can be

Why is classic sonic being the werehog a good thing? They completely pale in comparison to boost sonic gameplay

>>329725513
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLmUR_sBFB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crbC_mQSLKg

This is the big bad werehog that takes 40 minutes that everyones complaining about?
>>
>>329726083

>Levels go faster when you already know the layout, have maxed stats, are speedruning them through the optimal path and ignore all the sun medals you're forced to collect on your first runthrough.

No shit, retard
>>
>>329726409
I dont even like the werehog but you have to be clinically retarded if a stage took you over 20 minutes on the first time. The problem is that if you just want to do day stages you have to night ones to continue (no fucking shit)

In defense of the werehog its actually a competent 3D platformer and brawler hybrid and thanks to the medals and level up system it encourages exploration and replaying. Plus since its still sonic, obviously theres some design choices that allow you to speedrun. I mean that chun nan night video is done faster than some day stages.
>>
Sonic is better in real world locations.
>>
>>329719983
Too bad you rarely get to hear any of it because of that battle theme.
>>
>>329727263
Something a mod would fix right away if a port were to happen
>>
>>329726083
>Well I dont really care for the fake surreal zones in the old sonics. For me i prefer the psychedelic style of cd or the real world with surreal elements like unleashed.
Fair enough. The "fake surreal zones" are more of the "true" Sonic setting for me.

>Why is classic sonic being the werehog a good thing? They completely pale in comparison to boost sonic gameplay
They do indeed pale in comparison compared to the boost gameplay. However, they're not as much of an unresponsive chore to play as the werehog (the button you need to press in order to grab onto things not responding was one of the largest sources of frustration the last time I played through Unleashed's story), and they're not needlessly dipping into a totally divergent genre of gameplay like the werehog is (Sonic Team is more accustomed to making a 2D platformer than a 3D action game). Sonic is the LAST franchise that needs to be "innovating" and taking risks.

The classic Sonic stages didn't drag as much as the Werehog stages.

There's also something to be said of what Unleashed's Werehog and Generations' Classic Sonic mean for the franchise itself, the people in charge of it, and how much they care about catering to their fans. The Werehog was added to appeal to non-Sonic fans (source: http://info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Sonic_Unleashed#Development_Process). Classic Sonic being in the game was amazing after the fucking Sonic debacle. Also worthy of note is how they actually improved the physics in comparison to 4.

Point is, if we're going to receive some extra padding, instead of the preferable polishing and expanding of the primary gameplay, I'll take an enormous gesture of good will and fanservice over a needless "innovation" done for the sake of drawing in non-fans. Throw a bone to the original fans instead of adding yet another branch to the already horribly fractured fanbase.
>>
>>329727610
>Classic Sonic being in the game was amazing after the fucking Sonic debacle
Supposed to be Sonic 4 debacle
>>
>>329719412
Still enjoyed it despite the werehog stuff.
>>
>>329719412
Tails levels should of been more fleshed out,and Knuckles should of replace the Warehog,if Sega would of done that it would truly been one of the greats of last gen,I still liked the game for being one of fastest 3d platforming games with tight controls and excellent level design.
>>
>>329719743
What the fuck. That came out of way left field. Why was there a purple thing in the earth and why did sonic just randomly turn into a wearwolf?
>>
>>329728332

Throwing in knuckles doesn't make the Night stages any more of a slog. The werehog would have been better served if it was more like a 3D Ristar with a fast pace.
>>
>>329728445
You really have to play the game to find out
>>
>>329727610
I had very few fuck ups with the grab button but i do know, when it happens it does suck ass. Those spiked platforms where you couldnt hang on were really nervewracking because you really to balance. If the combat was stripped away from the werehog it wouldve straight up just been a 3D platformer with some exploration tossed in coming from medals and collectibles

And to me that is actually where i prefer the werehog over classic sonic. Thats the key word. 3D platforming. Ive been really bitter with 2D sections ever since sonic colors, which promised to be "unleashed day stages with no werehog". The result was 3D sections that were completely stripped away or left for drifting or sidestepping gimmicks with a majority of the game being 2D block platforming with no sense of speed and shitty wisp gimmicks in cut up versions of act 1.

It was at that point where i realized if i'm gonna not be going fast and have to platform, i would much prefer it in 3D over 2D. So while people say unleashed was 50-70% werehog, generations was 70% 2D. At least half from classic sonic himself and then all the 2D sections modern sonic has.

2D areas were a novelty in unleashed, because it was the first time a console sonic had 2D for a long long time and they were handled very well and usually brisk. 2D sections in generations modern is slow shitty platforming that classic sonic has. Unleashed had the benefit of being a mostly 3D game, thanks to the massive day stages and the werehog automatically making half the game 3D. Not to mention the hubs. Unleashed has full 3D hubs in comfy small areas that are quick to navigate and have tons of small details in them. Generations cant even do the hub right as even THAT is fucking 2D and its just a white space with some cutouts of the levels.

In the end, platforming in 3D as werehog > platforming in 2D as classic sonic for me and this, along with the way better boost stages, is why unleashed is infinitely better imo
>>
File: Eggman is Hatching.jpg (92 KB, 277x256) Image search: [Google]
Eggman is Hatching.jpg
92 KB, 277x256
>>329728445

Welcome to modern Sonic, where Eggman fucks with the gods every other week.
>>
>>329719412
Best Sonic game? Sure. Best overall platformer? It's possible. Game of the generation? No.
>>
>>329726817

You sound like the kind of person who enjoys and defends the treasure hunting/mech shit in Sonic Adventure 2
>>
>>329728582
Sega could of balance the combat style around Knuckles and open up the levels a little more so the glide mechanics can be fit around knuckles play style.
>>
>>329728332
The tails levels were good diversions with nice scenery and they went fast. There was only 3 in the game if i remember too. I found them fitting because unleashed was a one of a kind when it came out and very heavily reflex based, so the qtes felt natural. Knuckles wouldve been a cool, like if he was looking for the master emerald at night or some shit along with brawling and platforming. But the werehog is needed because of how the story is structured. Agree on excellent level design

>>329728445
Eggmans machine absorbed the negative energy of the chaos emeralds and summoned a dark god lying in the earth. Sonic was caught up in this, thus the negative energy caused him to transform. If you play it, it all makes sense as the story goes on. That was another nice thing about unleashed, there was some attempt at a storyline
>>
>>329728967
I actually enjoyed the treasure hunting levels but didnt really like the mech shooting. Found them passable but never replayed them. To bad they all werent structured like cosmic wall, those rollercoaster sections and floaty jumps were the shit
>>
>>329728676
I understand your contempt for the 2D sections; I still enjoy them though. I definitely preferred the platforming of Colors and Genrations to the glorified QTEs that made up a huge portion of Unleashed's 2D sections.

>Generations cant even do the hub right as even THAT is fucking 2D and its just a white space with some cutouts of the levels.
I preferred the minimal hub world, to something that was so unnecessarily tedious for to navigate; and it definitely was, for me. Having to learn your way around, find the person to talk to, and then the sections that connected them to the levels proper, where you had to do little platforming segments. It all just rubbed me the wrong way. But again, I could see how someone might might that to be comfy, even if I don't.

>In the end, platforming in 3D as werehog > platforming in 2D as classic sonic for me and this
I'm the polar opposite here.

As for the superior boost stages, Generations had more diverging paths. There's also the X Button Homing Attack, which will forever be one of the biggest unnecessary mistakes in the entire franchise.
>>
>>329729328
Well not every 2D section in unleashed has a qte, i dont know where thats from. I enjoy the qtes in unleashed as well because of how reflex based the game was, there was nothing else like it at the time. Those qte sections in eggmanland were really good at creating tension, butthurt, fear, panic, joy when you caught up to one and that rush of feelings was just awesome to me over hopping from block to block in 2D as if it were mario or some shit.

The only hubs that were big, not even big just decent sized was spagonia and shamar because of their relevance to the story and professor pickle was living in those areas. A majority of town hubs, empire city, adabat, holoska, mazuri, chun nan. You can literally jump and do an air dash as day sonic and youll be at the entrance stage hub area. There is not much to them, they are compact and really cement that world traveling theme the game is going for perfectly and are a part of the reason the game is so memorable.

Those diverging paths in generations dont mean anything because after a playthrough or 2 you end up going the fastest way every time. So it cuts the length of the stage in half because they make them more open spaced which is disappointing. Cant say anything about the x button homing attack, that was fuckin bizarre
>>
File: 1286337147470.jpg (109 KB, 1280x715) Image search: [Google]
1286337147470.jpg
109 KB, 1280x715
>>
>>329719412
no stop spreading this garbage.

Only half of the daytime levels are good. The others are full of QTE, drifting on water, trial and error bullshit. Mazuri is magical though.
>>
>>329731642
Spagonia and RoofTop run was better
>>
>>329730217
>Those diverging paths in generations dont mean anything because after a playthrough or 2 you end up going the fastest way every time.
That's the whole point of there being diverging paths in a Sonic game. The first time the average player takes a while because they mess up some platforming and end up on the slower paths. Then they play multiple times and get better, so they end up consistently on the quicker paths. Planet Wisp Modern is a perfect example because most people take like 7 or 8 minutes or longer to finish it the first time, but you can easily cut that in half once you know what you're doing.
>>
>>329732413
>That's the whole point of there being diverging paths in a Sonic game

completely false. Some had hidden power ups and special stages in nooks and crannies.

It wasn't always speedspeedspeed guys
>>
>>329732587
Nooks and crannies =/= diverging paths
>>
>>329719578
>boost to win
that's one of the things Unleashed doesn't do
stages are pretty linear though

>>329720673
I liked the way Unleashed handled people and shit, made everyone cartoony and much more fitting.

>>329724879
pretty much everything about Unleashed looks better, yeah
They actually cut down on shader effects and the lot in Generations.

>>329725468
>The only problem with Generations' classic Sonic gameplay is that it's NOT a perfect representation of the Genesis gameplay.
I don't care that it's not perfect, I could live with different-but-similar physics. There were just changes that didn't need to be there (if you hold down, you should roll on landing so you don't get hit by an enemy you knew was coming), and they made him weird with that super OP spindash.

>>329731642
the only particularly bad main day stage in Unleashed is Empire City, Generations had far less interesting stages overall
Generations is a better game as a whole, due to having less bullshit, but Unleashed had much better daytime stages than the Generations Modern stages.
>>
>>329732587
Nope, whenever the classic games had diverging paths they usually did the same thing. Even in S3&K the special stage rings were usually on the better path, when they weren't in a nook.
>>
>>329732625
a diverging path would often lead to a special ring. Even "lower" paths.

exploration used to be part of this franchise and boost babies like you are trying to ignore that.
>>
>>329733148
>empire city
>bad

lol
>>
>>329733645
Holy shit were Sonic levels was this complex
>>
>>329733645
I'm not sure what your image is trying to prove considering the warp rings in that act are divided roughly equally between the optimal and sub-optimal paths. Yes they're in cubbyholes but cubbyholes are not diverging paths and the context of this conversation chain was referring to diverging paths specifically, not all forms of exploration.

>boost babies
Yeah sure thing kid, your first game was probably SA2:B for the GameCube.
>>
>>329734631
Its really not as fun as it looks because the game keeps throwing you into the walls and you have to slowly navigate it all. That stage takes like 6 or 7 minutes and is really boring, sonic 3 is loaded with garbage levels like that
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.