[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never played WoW because I was always turned off b
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: wow.jpg (111 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
111 KB, 1280x720
I've never played WoW because I was always turned off by the awful skill animations

How do WoW players stomach this shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvZljrUFIb8
>>
looks fine to me
>>
>>329714380
Because the spells respond perfectly fine, thats what makes WoW superior to other MMOs to me and many people.
It is simply the worse of two evils, if you rather have cool anime animations but spells that overlap their GCDs and don't follow the GCD then I feel sorry for you.

Not saying WoW is good anymore but it was one of the main reasons why no WoW clone was ever good.
They all fucked this basic thing just for flashy animations.
>>
>>329714380
That's many times better than in WoD. Both still look great though.
>>
>>329714872
This
Just this
/thread
Why can't they get smoothness > animation
>>
>>329714872
>worse of two evils
lesser
>>
File: 1419475032172.gif (976 KB, 179x296) Image search: [Google]
1419475032172.gif
976 KB, 179x296
WoW was (is?) really good about animations instantly cancelling when players cancel actions and changing to reflect what players are actually doing. Responsiveness and showing accurate information is infinity more important then having nice animation blending or other visual only effects.

Animations that don't cancel to show what other players are actually doing is an un-forgivable sin. It leads to shit like getting shot in the face by someone doing a reload animation in FPSs.
>>
Most races don't look that bad.

I don't know how people stomach playing as a human though
>>
>>329714872
Early post nails it. WoW might look like ass, and it didn't even look that good at launch, but the one thing it did absolutely right with player actions was to feel extremely responsive. You push a button and it had weight. Things happened. Most MMOs have more or less copied this since then, to varying degrees of success, but before WoW MMO actions lacked any sense of immediacy.

It's a shame that WoW has lost even this. Warrior used to be a goodamned blast to play because everything felt like it had an impact. When I quit in Cata it felt like wearing pillows. Nothing had bite.
>>
>>329714380

lol
>>
>night elf male animations
I remember thinking they were fucking embarrassing to look at back in vanilla and questioned how the fuck anyone played a NE male druid or warrior.
>>
>>329714380
I only played in vanilla.

But the reason I still feel it had the best pvp combat is because the animations were so easy to interrupt, and some skills even animated while you were moving. The flow of the combat was, in comparison to many mmos, so much less rooted and clunky that you got past the simple as fuck animations.

I'd rather have basic as fuck swings, low frame spins and stiff cast animations that don't have endlag than beautiful and fluid motion captured animations that stop all movement and keep you in place for half a second after casting.
I'm a former L2 player and recently quit TERA so I'm fine with the latter, but it's still makes combat shittier to experience - nice to look at or not.
>>
File: pandablade2.png (232 KB, 550x450) Image search: [Google]
pandablade2.png
232 KB, 550x450
>>329714380
Confused

Is this pic WotLK? How does that mage and that DK have nearly the same amount of HP?

I though plate classes always had atleast a medium amount more hp than cloth

Is this how it was?
>>
>>329717217
Looks like pvp gear to me
>>
>>329714872

This. Final Fantasy XIV's skills are horribly flat and obnoxious because they all explode into a thousand colors and the character has a ten minute seizure before each one.
>>
>>329717217
Mage has better gear than DK or Mage is in full PVP and DK isnt
>>
>>329714380
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84vBoazL5IE

most spells get updated regularly
>>
>>329718510

What is with them using the Belf rogue crouch animation?
>>
>>329714872
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM4U3bEDL5c
Allods was a WoW clone with pretty good low endlag animations that allows for a lot of movement.

Sucks it was f2p and fell victim to cash shop shenanigans, though. Was great when it first came out.

Sucks so many mmos opt the root-in-place route when it comes to animation and pvp. I really don't get it. Plays like shit.
>>
>>329718935
Undead females always had that animation when attacking without a weapon.

It's just a bug.
>>
File: ifrit.jpg (26 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
ifrit.jpg
26 KB, 480x270
That's why you play FFXIV, scrub
>>
>>329719141
FFXIV feels like garbage to play sorry.

Fucking consoles.

Even vanilla wow has smoother combat.
>>
>>329718510
Is this game worth playing if I never played wow before?

I hear nothing but bad things about it on /v/
>>
>>329719063
Allods is the prime definition of wasted potential
>>
>>329719797
Yeah, it bums me out.
Nice races, faction pvp, good talent and skill systems. Everything was there for a good game. Then they squandered it.
>>
>>329714380
>says animations are shit
>posts Undead casting animations
Are you a giant faggot or something? UD have the best casting animations in the game.

The animations are perfect, they don't interfere with skill use.
>>
>>329714380
Underage detected
>>
terrk
>>
>>329714380
>I was wearing diapers when WoW first came out
>>
>>329719063
>>329719797
Have either of you tried the p2p server? I've always been interested in allods but dont know if the p2p server fixes the communites issues or not.
>>
>>329720863
The game fell completely off my radar a long time ago so I'm not sure but I highly doubt it

Allods was basically that game for kids who's parents wouldn't buy them WoW. Throw in some BR and latinos and you can imagine just how fucking terrible the community is now
>>
Cast animations have always been fantastic.

New glaive animations are even better. https://youtu.be/lRuuwrobPdU
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FwMRW1ra0E
I miss the era of WoWvideos and googlevideo.
>Scorch spam and debuff stacking
>Scrub gear
>Poking fun at trinket heavy videos
>14 year old music taste
Product of time.

>>329720863
Nah, I haven't tried. I found Allods fun due to the open pvp areas as you leveled. While gankers were obviously an issue, you had tons of great fights with people your level. I don't think the population would be big to really facilitate it. Since the server came up I kept hearing "why is there no one around?" and figured they'd never advertise it enough to actually have a playerbase on it with enough variety. It was introduced so late I'd figure few people would even jump ship at that point. Either they played long enough to be in a position where they could actually compete on the f2p server, or they'd already spent a thousand bucks and wouldn't even consider the fairer server.
>>
>>329714380
>love mages
>love arcane as a concept

but...
>arcane missiles looks fucking atrocious
>arcane blast looks like fucking nothing
>arcane spells in general look the least appealing when compared to all of the other options

This is why I have never bothered to come back to this PoS.
>>
How long you think Legion will last before WoW players begin saying they fucked up.

I was playing WoD and it took about 5 months before people started to say the expansion is shit
>>
>>329722023
try another class

warlocks have great animatios
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.