[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck did this game happen? DMC1 was one of the most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8
File: dmc2.jpg (111 KB, 640x911) Image search: [Google]
dmc2.jpg
111 KB, 640x911
How the fuck did this game happen?

DMC1 was one of the most important video games ever made, the first big 3D hack and slash action game that didn't play like clunky dogshit because the technology was finally advanced enough and it's mechanics (specifically the transformation meter, the launcher and the ability to cancel moves together) were copied by tons and tons of action games ever since even if they didn't copy the challenge/well designed enemies or other elements of the game.

Then they made a sequel that took literally everything that made the first game so memorable and tossed it into trash. I know they got a different studio to make the game but how did they fuck it up that badly?
>>
They put a game critic in charge who had never designed a videogame in their life. I agree it was garbage.
>>
File: 1371422634394.png (11 KB, 524x444) Image search: [Google]
1371422634394.png
11 KB, 524x444
>mfw I never played DMC
>owned the HD collection for months
>Dante is fighting Bayonetta in a death battle
>Kamiya is telling people on twitter to not make Dante fight Bayo

How good is Devil May Cry? Should I just skip the first 2 and go right to 3?
>>
>>329710841
1 is great. Go play it
>>
>>329710617
Like Mega Man X6 Capcom wanted a sequel out the door to capitalize on the success of a franchise before it ran dry without informing the previous team, funny enough nearly killing it in doing so. I think there are other cases of them doing that sort of thing to double or nothing their bank but I can't recall.
>>
>>329710841
I had a buttload of fun with 1 but I haven't gone back to it recently. Not sure how well it's aged. 3 is by far the best but also hard as balls. 4 is also awesome (apart from backtracking and KYRIE!!!) and contains arguably the finest preboss cutscene ever conceived. I'd reccomend that if you're having trouble with 3. You don't have to play any of them in any kind of order to get the most of them.
>>
File: [Judges in Moth].jpg (77 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
[Judges in Moth].jpg
77 KB, 500x501
>>329710743
>They put a game critic in charge who had never designed a videogame in their life.
Seriously? That sounds dubious, but since this is Capcom we're talking about, I can sorta believe it. Even back then, Capcom has done some dumb shit before, though not to the extent that is recently.
>>
>>329710841
>Kamiya is telling people on twitter to not make Dante fight Bayo

He'd rather see them team up and wreck things together while shit talking every enemy in sight
>>
>>329710841
1, 3 and 4 are great, go play them. Stay as far away from 2 and the DmC remake featuring Donte as much as humanly possible.
>>
They had some no name guy work on it and fucked up so bad Itsuno had to salvage what was left.
>>
File: 1449448573276.gif (2 MB, 422x237) Image search: [Google]
1449448573276.gif
2 MB, 422x237
>people think bayonetta is better than NG, much less DMC
>>
>>329711512
this. A lot of people think that Itsuno was responsible for the whole thing, when in actuality he was given mess he had little time to fix
>>
>>329710617
How bad is backtracking in 4? I kinda want to play it but everyone complains about it and it puts me off? How does it compare to DMC3?
>>
Does dmc2 deserve a remake?
>>
>>329710617
I wanted to see if the memes were true so I actually used the guns only for my first playthrough of this. It was piss-easy except for the boss fight with the ice wolves(?) and the skeleton thing.
>>
>>329711862
Back-tracking in DMC4 isn't nearly as much of a problem as the horrendous enemy super-armor and broken mechanics. Still a fun game to mess around with but don't expect DMC1 or 3 quality.
>>
>>329711652
>people have different tastes

NO WAY!
>>
>>329711912
DMC2 is so bad it's officially Dante's final adventure and all other games come before it. This effectively writes it out of continuity and nothing in it will ever have any affect on the story or gameplay
>>
>>329711862
You just go though all the levels in reverse. It's not as bad everyone says but it's still pretty dull.
>>
>>329711989
the guns are really good in every DMC game besides 4

in 3 you have to use them in a specific way but in 1/2 you can very easily just shoot everyone to death

>>329711862
you literally play the game a second time but backwards and with the levels remade to be more annoying

then you fight most of the bosses again in the last level

it's super lazy, game is blatantly unfinished
>>
>>329711912
the few very good ideas that DMC2 has were put into dmc3

game has no point, the best you can ask for is that they throw dantes pretty awesome outfit into a different game as a bonus
>>
>>329710841
Depends, don't listen to nostalgia fags, Dmc1 does not hold up that well.

If you're looking for a first DMC experience I'd suggest 3 and then 4, If you're looking for better combat, go to DmC: Devil May Cry, It's the worst in terms of characters and story, but the combats really good.

Unrelated, but I think Platinum needs to make a DmC game, they're the only ones who can do hack n slash right with Bayo 2 and MGR
>>
>>329711146
See I get that this game was a rushed out cashgrab sequel but like, with megaman games the problem is that they're just the same but not as good

DMC2 actively does the opposite of what made DMC1 so great over and over, they actually put in more effort than just being lazy and all their effort made the game way worse
>>
>>329712720
>Dmc1 does not hold up that well.

>that's what millenials believe

Top cuck
>>
>>329712186
>>329712563
Why are Capcom so adamant on doing games before certain ones? Why can't they just retcon the games they loathe and pretend it never happened and do proper sequels? It's the same crap with street fighter with how 4 and now 5 are set before 3.
>>
File: Griffon[1].jpg (35 KB, 500x301) Image search: [Google]
Griffon[1].jpg
35 KB, 500x301
sup bitches

crashing this ghost ship, with no survivors
>>
>>329712720
>Depends, don't listen to nostalgia fags, Dmc1 does not hold up that well.
go fuck yourself, DMC1 is a masterpiece of game design when it's not being held back by all the stuff it has because it was originally a resident evil game

>but muh juggling

compare the DMC4 versions of enemies like frosts to their DMC1 version and they're way more interesting/in depth. DMC4 dante has a billion more moves so you just juggle them to death while in DMC1 every move has a very specific purpose against every enemy and it's way more engaging because of it

it's not the best DMC game but it's still fantastic

>>329712983
japanese devs don't like to admit they fucked up, square saying "yeah the original version of ff14 was dogshit, lets start over" is the only time that's ever really happened
>>
>>329712720
I just recently played it for the first time, after getting spoiled by 3 and 4 combat.
And it was amazing. Atmosphere is engrossing and combat even though it's simpler it's satisfying.
>If you're looking for better combat, go to DmC: Devil May Cry
What the bloody fuck?
>>
>>329713121
>If you're looking for better combat, go to DmC: Devil May Cry
>What the bloody fuck?
I'm surprised anyone's replying with bait that out in the open.
>>
>>329712983
They really really don't want to acknowledge DMC2. But at the same time they don't wanna just say "It never happened"

Japs are odd desu.
>>
DMC 1, 3 and 4SE are all must plays in my book. DMC 2 doesn't exist.
>>
>>329713249
I like 4SE but mainly because of LDK mode and because vergil/lady/trish get to ignore all the horseshit parts of the enemy design by being so hilariously OP
>>
>>329710617
>DMC1 was one of the most important video games ever made
Speaking of, I hate how it and arguably DMC3:SE always get snubbed when it comes to Greatest Games of All Time lists.

It absolutely deserves to be on those somewhere.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF8rdHz2wZw

I fucking love the OST.
>>
>>329713340
Most people are way too casual to beat DMC3, even the SE
>>
File: 1386879516652.gif (2 MB, 340x190) Image search: [Google]
1386879516652.gif
2 MB, 340x190
>>329710617
>because the technology was finally advanced enough
Yeah, it's not like the camera wasn't absolute shit because they used pre rendered backgrounds, because it was going to be RE 4, while the psx HaS games actually had full 3D scenarios and midly decent camera.

You are full of shit. God Hand/ Bayo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DMC
>>
>>329713249
>>329712720
>>329711465
>/v/ still perpetrating the "4 is good" meme

Sad, tBh
>>
>>329713316
SE is pretty fun even if you've played 4 previously. For someone completely new to 4SE, it should be an amazing experience with all the content.
>>
File: 1355564049317.png (343 KB, 600x550) Image search: [Google]
1355564049317.png
343 KB, 600x550
>>329713340
>mfw it is my personal favourite game of all time

Thats enough for me. You're right but if others can't respect it then that's their loss.
>>
>>329710617

dmc3>dmc4>dmc>DmC>dmc2
>>
>>329711862
You go from A to B playing as Nero, then you go from B to A as Dante. It's bad, but not so bad that you shouldn't play it. The game is a blast regardless and Dante plays quite differently from Nero, and there are at least some updates to the areas and bosses.
>>
>>329713445
It's really weird. Like every time someone makes Top 25-100 Games of all Time thing, they always leave out the DMC franchise.

1 at the very least absolutely deserves to be on anyone's list, since it pretty much revolutionized 3D action games and led to games like NGB, GoW, etc. We wouldn't have those if it weren't for DMC.

Sadly, you're right about most people being too casual to enjoy DMC3:SE.
>>
>>329713473
(you)
>>
>>329713473
The camera works fine, git gud.
>>
>>329713512
The only thing sad here is that it appears you have a terminal case of shit taste friendo
>>
>>329713473
>Yeah, it's not like the camera wasn't absolute shit because they used pre rendered backgrounds,
you don't know what pre-rendered backgrounds are, thats the shit where the entire background is a 2D image, not fixed camera angles

>while the psx HaS games actually had full 3D scenarios and midly decent camera.
no 3D ps1 game had a decent camera and they all have clunky as fuck 3D movement because the system didn't come with analogue sticks as the standard

I've played rising zan, that game is impressive for it's timeframe but it's no DMC1 by any means

>You are full of shit. God Hand/ Bayo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DMC
Holy shit, you're saying that games released half a decade later play better??? How does that change DMC1 being a pioneer again?
>>
>>329713005
Flock off faget
>>
>>329713678
Not in 3rd Nelo Angelo fight desu
>>
>>329713975
Or Griffon 2 and 3
>>
>>329713975
>there are people that were paid to translate the game and couldn't deduce that it was supposed to be Nero Angelo
>>
>>329713975
It's just a matter of knowing where the camera shifts. Maybe not the most intuitive thing ever but if you're good enough it isn't a problem.
>>
>>329714112
What I can't fathom is why it wasn't fixed in the HD release or as a whole.
>>
>>329713473
full 3D ps1 games all had jank as fuck framerates which makes the sort of precision based gameplay that DMC brought in impossible
>>
>>329714112
It was a novice mistake anyway.

I think Capcom just went "Fuck it" and rolled with it.
>>
>>329710617
Number one thing about this game that always pissed me off is that there was no taunting

the rest of the retarded ideas were stuff I can understand why they'd do that, but you'd remove an entire gameplay feature?
>>
>>329712720
Dmc1 does not hold up that well

The combat is just a little stiff and the VA is a matter of opinion.

The rest is amazing, kickass boss fights, great music, best atmosphere by far thanks to the horror theme, and it has some great enemies like Shadows
>>
File: o-face.png (206 KB, 571x429) Image search: [Google]
o-face.png
206 KB, 571x429
>Play DMC2
>Realize it's shit
>Since I bought it I might as well finish it
>Get to the final boss
>mfw this theme kicks in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjqdhnJeBXo

Saved the game for me.
>>
>>329714586
This. DMC1 is in need of a remake but then Idk if I'd want them to do it without Kamiya. But then Itsuno could probably do it anyway.
>>
>>329714918
Kamiya is a hack.

He's not needed for a remake.
>>
>>329714586
>The combat is just a little stiff
That's the point, the combat is based on games like castlevania or the old ninja gaidens where it's about timing and learning the best attacks to counter the enemy
>>
>>329714867
Nah the soundtrack has some really good parts but it doesn't save shit. Download the OST and fucking forget about the game.
>>
>>329713631
3=1>>>4>>>>>>>>>>>>>DmC>2
>>
>>329715002
Bayonetta 1 and W101 are both two of the greatest action games of all time. VJ1 too.
>>
>>329714586
this

it was good when it was new, then dmc3 hit.
by then, with all the action dmc3 has, you just can't go back even for nostalgia reasons like i tried to.
>>
>>329712720

Except it does hold up well

Boss fights are still great and it has arguably the best atmosphere in the series
>>
>>329712720
DMC 1 it's very enjoyable, it's not as over the top as 3 or 4, but gets the job done.

I would only recommend playing dmc 2 if someone it's curious enough to experience the true horror that is that game (I think it's not even canon).
>>
It wasn't even that bad.
The ost was pretty cool and guns were actually useful. Gameplay was the same as DMC1, same moves even.
>>
>>329717650
>Gameplay was the same as DMC1
It really wasn't. Way to input combos was completely different and insanely OP guns.

Also camera often showing Dante's face instead of what's in front of you.
>>
>>329717650
>guns were actually useful.

you can beat the entire game only relying on those puny pistols (besides some bosses are impossible to kill using swords)
>>
>>329710617
they should remake this game
>>
>>329717650
>The ost was pretty cool and guns were actually useful
Guns have always been useful. DMC1 is all about finding the right weapon to exploit enemy's weaknesses.

The shotgun and grenade launcher both were super useful in a lot of situations.
>>
>>329717650
Everything about this post is wrong as hell, I don't even know where to start.

>guns were actually useful.
in DMC1 the shotgun and the grenades were broken as hell if you knew the tricks to them and still really useful without them for their aoe/knockdown, the pistols were near mandatory for a bunch of enemies like shadows and even the laser gun was kinda useful if situational

meanwhile in DMC2 you can literally just mash pistols and kill everyone from offscreen and it's the strongest thing you have without even letting your style points drain away. you unlock a bunch of other guns but they're either used in the exact same way or the missle launcher which is so slow it's basically impossible to hit anything with because the enemies just get out of the way

>Gameplay was the same as DMC1
the enemy design is all fucked up, instead of enemies that have lots of interesting little "use this move when I'm in this specific part of this move to instant kill me" quirks and multiple ways to sneak around and surprise you, enemies in DMC2 all only ever have a single attack and slowly walk over to you so they can do it

>same moves even.
I'm not going to sperg out and point out how literally none of the moves are the same beyond the most superficial level and instead point out how in DMC1 you had the lighting sword and the fire hands and swapping between them as the situation required was super important

in DMC2 you have one effective weapon because all the unlocks do is give you different stats of damage, range and swing speed. and that single weapon doesn't even have as many moves as the sword from DMC1 does

all DMC2 added was the dodge roll and a few gimmicky ways to shoot your guns that you have zero reason to ever use over just shooting normally (and you dont have the charge shots in DMC2 which would be a huge loss if they weren't already so strong)
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.