[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one is the biggest betrayal of a franchise? Im gonna go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7
File: neonintendo.png (2 MB, 796x908) Image search: [Google]
neonintendo.png
2 MB, 796x908
Which one is the biggest betrayal of a franchise?

Im gonna go with color splash. At least federation force knows its a throwaway spinoff that will never supplant the real metroid games
>>
>WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>I WANT REHASHES
>>
>>329705054
It's not a spinoff you dense faggot.
The producer himself stated it's canon.
>>
>>329705218
Spin offs are canon all the time
>>
>>329705218
doesnt really matter t b h

its pretty obvious prime 4 is on the way
>>
>>329705054
I'm curious what does Japan audience think about this. Both of these games seem catered to Japan tastes.
>>
>>329705184

Yes, exactly. If /v/ is right and rehashes are effortless garbage shoved on the masses as a cashgrab, it should be effortless for Nintendo to make me a good Paper Mario game.

Instead, Color Splash.
>>
it's an easy question

>what if we tried a multiplayer shooter set in metroid universe?
>shit people are mad because there hasn't been a good normal metroid in a while

or

>sticker star is hated by nearly everyone
>what if we made a direct sequel to it?

colors is easily the bigger fuck you
>>
>>329705184
but color splash is just a sticker star rehash
>>
>>329705347
Japan has never cared about metroid.
No idea about what they think of mario RPGs, they probably buy them because its mario
>>
I would have thought colour splash was the dopest shit if I knew it wasn't going to be sticker star again
>>
Neither
#FE
A betrayal of two franchises
>>
Fucking nintendo making zelda 2 different than zelda 1
Fucking betrayal man
>>
>>329705583
but its actually a good game
>>
>>329705409
No it isnt. Stop meme spouting
>>
>>329705218
Spin-offs can be canon. It simply means that no one considers them a replacement or continuation of the main series, just some side stuff.
>>
>>329705184
Nah I don't want rehashes, which is why I don't want Color Splash.
>>
Animal crossing Happy faggy decorator and shitaboo festival are worse.

Metroid was never good. Paper Mario has been dead forever.
>>
>>329705754
Epic meme, how is CS a rehash?
>>
>>329705663
>but its actually a good game

>five second loading screens for battles
>twenty second attack animations
>braindead easy bosses
>shitty dungeons
>shitty plot
>Barry isn't playable
>>
>>329705821
Sticker Star, retard
>>
>>329705767
happy home designer was pretty fun desu

i'll give you amiibo festival though
>>
Gonna agree with OP. FF is a spinoff. CS is intended to be a full blown entry. Nobody's gotten their hands on FF to know the extent of the damage. CS is a follow up to what was already known to be a complete betrayal of the franchise so it can be pretty easily inferred. Guy behind FF already said he wants to keep making proper Metroid games past this and there's a separate team that could already be making another Metroid anyway. No word on the return of proper Paper Mario.
>>
>>329705054
In this case it's more like the betrayal of a fanbase. How about you stop crying and at least let them come out?

>>329705218
Those are not mutually exclusive.

>>329705283
Not necessarily all the time, but they certainly can be.
>>
>>329705821
It's sticker star, but rather than putting the stickers back on the damaged world, you put paint back on the damaged world. It's just a change of wording. The combat is essentially the same shit, and will continue to be treated entirely as a punishment rather than fun, except this time you gotta hold onto the cards to "fill them up with ink." Waoh so innovative.

Not to mention it looks like a portion of the game is fucking toad bullshit.
>>
>>329705585
Back in the day I thought that was an improvement. Still do
>>
>7 years
It's amazing how it doesn't show.
>>
>>329705862
The dungeons are tight, but everything else you said can be argued in your favor.
>>
>>329705054
I haven't seen enough of color splash to make a proper opinion that isn't just doomsday shit. it looks like sticker star, but for all we know they improved the combat and actually brought back leveling. the world map made me pretty disappointed, though, so I'm not going to expect great things. I'll just hope we get a gem like SPM. federation force looks fun as fuck, and I'll enjoy the tears from metroidbabbies.
>>
File: 1364089671448.png (56 KB, 447x265) Image search: [Google]
1364089671448.png
56 KB, 447x265
Why are Nintendrones such a bunch on whiny cunts?
>>
>>329705304
lol whatever helps you sleep at night
>>
>>329707939

Oh please, if they liked it, you'd be complaining about how Nintendrones would eat up any old shit as long as it's Nintendo
>>
I honestly still can't tell what is wrong with Color Splash, can someone explain to me?
>>
>>329708149
https://twitter.com/LonelyGoomba/status/705591412985896960
>>
>>329708149
>SS battle system, now with cards instead of stickers, and another limited resource, paint, added on top of that
>SS overworld, suggesting the stages will probably be the SS style linear stages with a goal
>No sign of original characters aside from the Kersti stand-in, all designs were generic Mario ones, all NPCs seemed to be generic Toads again
>Realistic stuff items from SS are also back
>No sign of FP, BP, EXP, partners, or any of the shit people liked about the classic PM games
>They even fucking call it an "action adventure" instead of an RPG this time

Seems like enough reason to be worried. I haven't got enough faith in them to believe that they're simply holding all of the good parts just offscreen.
>>
>>329708528
>>329708746
Sounds like you guys are overreacting a bit, we barely even see the game yet.
>>
>>329709206
I'll be honest, I don't even like Paper Mario. I just like to fan flames
>>
>>329709206
Parrellels to sticker star are something to be pretty afraid of.
>>
>>329707939
Because Metroid fans are entitled.

Castlevaina still exists.
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 802x437) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 802x437
>>329709206
Honestly I'll give it a chance, but supposedly Sticker Star sold rather well despite the near unanimous disappointment with the direction they took. And knowing Nintendo, it means they'll just copy past that formula and expect the same sales. It's natural for people to be worried.
>>
I think color splash is the biggest fuck you, no one liked the SS style of Paper Mario. And I'm of the opinion that Federation Force wouldn't get nearly as much shit if it wasn't considered part of the Metroid series, but I can at least understand why people are pissed that Metroid gets a spinoff before a new mainline game.
>>
>>329705054
>Wah wah wah, it's just like Shitter Star!
Yes, heaven forbid that this be like the BEST SELLING GAME IN THE FRANCHISE. You heard me right. In Japan, Sticker Star, the one you all hate for not being Thousand Year Door, is the best selling title in the Paper Mario franchise. So they obviously found a formula that works for their local home audience, of course they're going to keep using that formula.
>>
color splash

federation force can fuck off but at least it isn't pretending to be a mainline game.
>>
>>329709796
Sometimes I wish Nintendo would be like Sony and consider what their western fans want before their home audience.
>>
>>329709730
The thing is it wouldn't get any attention at all if it wasn't Metroid. It doesn't look fun. The campaign keeps throwing tedious crap at you designed to waste your time, the combat doesn't look exciting in any way requiring any skill, and why the fuck is multiplayer just super shitty rocket league? The entire crowd was dead silent during that entire NWC match and the players looked bored out of their minds.
>>
>>329705054
Federation Force

Other M sold like shit, yet they still try something different

Sticker Star sold the most of the PM series, they're sticking with the same ideas
>>
Paper Mario, only because this is the second time in a row they've done it.

Federation Force, as annoying as it is, really does feel like a spinoff to me. With Color Splash, they made a sequel to Sticker Star. I can't forgive them for that.
>>
>>329705054

>betrayal

But federation isn't a Metroid game for samus it's a spinoff senpai
>>
>>329710119
>Sticker Star sold the most of the PM series

No it didn't, SPM sold the best. At the end of the day, PM's sales are completely detached from its quality entirely because Mario is on the cover. Its sales will always just be a result of the system's attach rate, so at least we can be sure CS will sell like complete shit.
>>
both are spinoffs

stop bitching about nothing
>>
>>329705373
I played TTYD recently. I loved the game, it was one of my top-of-all-time. Now it sucked, and it made me realize how powerful nostalgia goggles are.

Rehashing their shit (which they are doing SS to CS anyway) is not necessarily indicative of a good game.
>>
>>329709796
>Yes, heaven forbid that this be like the BEST SELLING GAME IN THE FRANCHISE.

It only sold the best because it was on the 3DS.

Color Splash doesn't have that benefit, and along with that I've literally never once heard a positive thing said about Sticker Star. Any potential fans they might have gotten are almost definitely lost due to A) not having the system for color splash or B) being turned off the series after playing sticker star, nevermind older fans of the series that were turned off from sticker star already.

I'm willing to bet hard money this game is gonna bomb.
>>
>>329710316
color splash is a spinoff of a spinoff?
>>
>>329710306
>tfw only reason PM and TTYD sold meh was because their systems were shit
>Only reason SPM and SS did so good was because more successful systems

>Shit game + system with lackluster sales =
>>
File: image.png (157 KB, 390x250) Image search: [Google]
image.png
157 KB, 390x250
>>329705398
>sticker star is hated by nearly everyone
Yeah, nah. It sold pretty well and it had a good reception among critics.

It's just time to accept Nintendo doesn't care about your demographic anymore, bro.
>>
>>329710447
paper mario is a spinoff nobody cares about
>>
>>329710354
Super Paper Mario was on the Wii. Don't be a faggot, plenty of people liked Sticker Star.
>>
>>329710306
This. It sells as well as the system sells. Wii and 3ds are big sellers so those 2 sold the best. WiiU is about to see a huge flop, not only due to it's minuscule userbase that has nintendo jumping ship so quickly but also now that people have universally panned the game and realize the name isn't worth shit.
>>
>>329705054
You are now aware that the majority of Paper Mario games are not RPGs
>>
>>329705583
>Tokyo Mirage Sessions
>TMS
>is SMT backwards
Mozart is still alive and they never stuck to any of the franchises anyway. It's like Final Fantasy, where they'll kinda refer to shit that happened in other games without actually belonging to the same universe.
>>
>>329710486
Super was still a great game though, just with different gameplay and mechanics from the first games, but unlike Sticker Star, these mechanics actually fucking worked and were rewarding and it upped the ante on its writing (Francis' castle was fucking god-tier), villains, and level design (except caveman world which was kinda poor.)

The only certifiably bad thing about Super was the fact that the Pixels were basically just items that talked occasionally, not characters with motivation and charm.
>>
>>329710608
>it had a good reception among critics.

critics overrate literally everything
>>
>>329705717
But you were the one that just memed you tard.
>>
File: h93th.png (319 KB, 449x341) Image search: [Google]
h93th.png
319 KB, 449x341
>>329710608
>It's just time to accept Nintendo doesn't care about your demographic anymore, bro.

If they didn't want my demographic then why do they keep pretending that they do? You don't bring over games like Fatal Frame and Xenoblade for the 12 year olds. Even a series with more mainstream appeal like Fire Emblem, surely they know that adults will probably play that more than children would.

Even bonafide kids games, like pokemon red. They're bringing those onto the eshop so I can relive my childhood. No kid's gonna buy that, they just want the newest games.

No, you're right, they don't want my demographic. They want my money, they don't want me.

How come they don't want me, man?
>>
>>329710608
>it had a good reception among critics.

It's reviews are actually pretty middling. It's metascore is worse than Other M, both it's critic score AND user score, and Other M is generally thought of as one of the worst thing's Nintendo's made in ages.
>>
File: valkyria4.png (694 KB, 878x897) Image search: [Google]
valkyria4.png
694 KB, 878x897
>>329705054

My vote goes to Valkyria: Edge Revolution
>>
>>329712581
this looks bad but will still probably end up being pretty fun
>>
>>329705184
>if it's not this idea, it's a rehash
>it couldn't possibly mean retain correct elements of franchise that fans of said franchise like whilst doing new/other things with it
>>
File: 1423707062008.jpg (36 KB, 414x329) Image search: [Google]
1423707062008.jpg
36 KB, 414x329
Rip in peace Metroid and Paper Mario. After this shitshow there's no going back.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.