[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck happened to Capcom? Are they unable to make new
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: capcom.jpg (52 KB, 1399x763) Image search: [Google]
capcom.jpg
52 KB, 1399x763
What the fuck happened to Capcom? Are they unable to make new games? In the past couple of years they only made unfinished games and remasters of old games. This year alone they already have the biggest number of rereleases of any other company (Dragon's Dogma, RE0, RE4, RE5, RE6) not to mention the fact Street Fighter V released in an abysmal state.

Is this what's left of one of the biggest video games companies to ever exist?
>>
File: 1456556604880-1457005515.jpg (103 KB, 600x709) Image search: [Google]
1456556604880-1457005515.jpg
103 KB, 600x709
I don't know. I think they're still recovering from their failed mobile investments. It's a shame that SFV didn't have higher production values. Parts of it look straight out of PS2 while animations look great.

Either way, DD:DA PC and SFV are still the two best games of the year.
>>
>>329692875
what happened ?
megaman creator left.
>>
>>329693109
It's ironic how Capcom was once (during the SNES through PS2 era) the absolute force of creativity in the gaming industry, always putting out new and interesting IPs, aswell as doing great games with licensed IPs. But today they're basically diminished to keep making remasters of old games.

How did Capcom fell so hard and so quick and what went so horribly wrong to led them to this situation? We might never found out,
>>
>>329693450
They still make ballsy games. Dragon's Dogma was 2012, right? That is the most ambitious RPG of the decade.
>>
they're too scared to take risks anymore, and their more popular franchises are starting to stagnate. they can't keep relying on RE, MH, and SF forever
>>
>capcom makes a new game
SFV

>capcom rereleases a game
Dragon's Dogma

they know theyre too incompetent to make new games
>>
>>329693621
2012 was 4 years ago anon, I'm talking about the new generation, what is Capcom making in terms of new games? SFV and RE Revelations 2 are the only two things I can think of and both suck ass.
>>
>>329693885
>what is Capcom making in terms of new games?

Not him but Ace Attorney 6 looks alright and is still coming in the future.
>>
>>329693981
>but Ace Attorney 6 looks alright

Dual Destinies was terrible, I wouldn't hold my hopes up.
>>
Capcom went to shit after Inafune left, coincidence? I think not.
>>
Street Fighter V was a huge blunder and hopefully they fix it and it becomes the game it deserves to be.

I still think they are improving though-
DD:DA PC port
DMC4:SE
REmake
DMC5 basically confirmed
RE7 hopefully not shit.

I'm still hopeful about Capcom because I put way too many eggs in their basket as a kid.
>>
>>329693202

>Mega man "Creator"

Yeah, and ever since then, they've been trying to recover their image.

Capcom took a lot of risk and made new properties last gen. You just never heard of them because they were bad or shit on. Most of these were done under Inafune's watch and a majority of them were done by working with western developers.

The hack is gone and their reputation is ruined. They're trying to rebuild that by going back on reliable franchises and previous successes and seeing where they could succeed.

They saw what happened with Resident Evil 6. Going after the COD market didn't work. They paid the price and now they're being careful.
>>
This >>329694148
Meanwhile based Inafune putting out good games now because be can keep up with the West
>>
>>329694220
>DD:DA PC port
rerelease
>DMC4:SE
rerelease
>REmake
rerelease
>DMC5 basically confirmed
considering how bad SFV is I wouldn't get my hopes up
>RE7 hopefully not shit.
RE6 was shit, chances are RE7 will inevitably be shit
>>
They're broke as fuck. Too many failed mobile or mmo bullshit. There's still all that money they lost rebuilding Deep Down from the ground up.
They're taking the safe route now. I think their downfall was thinking they can pull off what large AAA companies can do instead of sticking with fun arcadey games. I'm pissed they even attempted to make a bigger Story mode for Street Fighter V. Now look what happens when you don't give cutscene hungry normies what they want. I hope Capcom learns from this. Stop trying to be other companies.
>>
>>329694040
They already said they know DD was too easy, so they're upping the difficulty to compensate, and you can investigate like the older games again. It sounds like it'll be better then DD.
>>
>>329694391
RE6 wasn't shit, that's a meme, it's actually a pretty good game.
>>
Capcom was never really on the same level as the other big Jap dev/pubs. In their prime they were only like the 5th or 6th biggest one in terms of revenue, with only like 5% market share in Japan, after Nintendo, Square, Namco, and Konami. All of them are beginning to slow down on new releases, fewer new IPs are being made, fewer risks are being take n etc, but it's especially apparent for the medium/small companies.

They probably have some big stuff in progress, but the market is too competetive and risky to constantly churn out awesome games like they did back in the day.

But that doesn't mean Capcom is poor or going bankrupt or anything, contrary to popular belief. I'm still loling at the people who were talking about how Capcom only had a few months to live back in like 2012.
>>
>>329694619
Just let it go man, I know you still want to like the series because there are those characters you love, but there's no point in trying to convince yourself RE6 is a good game, it'll only dissapoint you further.
>>
>>329694619
No no no
It has great controls. That's it. Everything surrounding that is fucking awful.
>>
Street Fighter V isn't a bad game. It's a great fighting game given a bad rep by idiotic casuals who don't even play the genre properly. The only legit criticism is lack of big lobbies and matchmaking. Everything else like story shit is literally cancer MKX tier and doesn't belong in Street Fighter. Doesn't surprise me that /v/ reacts like the most casual fuckers on Steam.
>>
>>329694794
Nah, man, it was legitimately great. The only thing to hate about it is Ada's campaign for just being a rehash of the three other campaigns. It's one of the best co-op TPS and it shows. It's also fucking gorgeous to look at and Mercenaries was amazing.
>>
>>329694992
Alright man, don't say I didn't warn you.
>>
>>329692875
>Dragon's Dogma for PC is bad
No. It may be a re-release but it was never available on the platform before. It's not a cynical HD Remake money grab. It's a fan service, and precisely what I and many other people wanted to see from Capcom. I personally pre-ordered it the day it appeared on Steam.

>Resident Evil shit
I don't know, and don't really care. Maybe people wanted it, and maybe it's a way to train new employees while making some money. Would be a shame if they were wasting quality resources, though.

>Street Fighter V released in an abysmal state
Extremely credible and unequivocal. That being said, I'm thoroughly enjoying the game.

There's nothing to be said in defense of the game; hate it all you want. It had awful server stability on launch, and is extremely limited on single player content. It can have 0% on Metacritic and Steam reviews, whatever. But now that the launch dust has settled, you can fight people online in the most recent Street Fighter iteration. This is what Capcom was supposed to make.

The only thing truly disappointing about Capcom is that they killed Mega Man.
>>
File: Deep-Down_2013_02-20-13_002.jpg (237 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Deep-Down_2013_02-20-13_002.jpg
237 KB, 1920x1080
They probably lost a ton of money after scrapping this.
>but they're reworking it
It's dead. Deep down underground.
>>
>>329693885
A generation is 20~ years.
>>
>>329693109
>I think they're still recovering from their failed mobile investments.
Which is crazy since the whole draw of mobile development is it's supposed low overhead costs.
>>
>>329694883
Also the Challenge Mode not being there yet
>>
>>329695097

Cosnole generation is 5 years, usually.
>>
>>329692875
>>329693450
capcom is too big for their own good now

it's impossible to make creative games now because

> the insane cost of "modern ultra HD graphics" means that your game needs to sell a shitzillion copies to make any profit. you can't just throw a game out and see if it works or not anymore

>The market is too polarized now. In japan the only audiences that buy games are the cellphone/pachinko non-video game crowds, and the super hardcore otaku that will only buy your game if it plays similar to monster hunter, dragon quest or idolmaster. Any game that actually requires you to think or has a unique premise instead of just grinding or grinding your dick bombs really badly.

>The western market is all fucked up to because the only games that get bought are the ones that are marketed the most and has the best graphics, and like with graphics if you spend tons of money marketing a game then you have to make sure it doesn't challenge anyone or anything and turn away a potential buyer

There's no hope of this changing unless acceptable standards for graphics suddenly regress eight or more years, which will never happen.
>>
>>329692875
I've seen threads where anons said their money has been running out. Could this be it? Will they have to sell soon to another company?

If so who would you guys like to see buy them?
>>
I hope they go bankrupt at this point. People who still think they're 'based' are living in the past.
>>
>>329695436
Definitely not Nintendo.
>>
File: 1456193603746.jpg (27 KB, 734x78) Image search: [Google]
1456193603746.jpg
27 KB, 734x78
>>329694883
> It's a great fighting game given a bad rep by idiotic casuals who don't even play the genre properly

game plays like dogshit and they made the game worse with every version of the beta by nerfing the shit out of everything. go play a real fucking street fighter game like cvs2 or ST and watch as your head explodes from how much better it is

>The only legit criticism is lack of big lobbies and matchmaking.
and the fact that the online is STILL fucked up even though they had several months of beta testing specifically to make sure the severs work

>Everything else like story shit is literally cancer MKX tier and doesn't belong in Street Fighter.
capcom is the one that talked up and down about how they wanted to really focus on story mode stuff for once, they failed to deliver their promise

on a fundamental level the game is enjoyable because on a fundamental level all fighting games are the same, but the game is ass and the only people that can't admit it are retards who's first game was SF4 and people that either directly or indirectly make money of this game being successful
>>
>>329695436
Their last two yearly financial reports showed strong indications of profit, even though their gains are stable they have managed to decrease their costs by a good margin. So no, Capcom is not dying anytime soon, they'll probably become a mobile only company before that happens.
>>
>>329695436
Some random blogger said Capcom "only" had $150 million in the bank and that that was a small amount for a large company. He just took a random number out of context, and conviently neglected to mention that it was in line with what they've had for the past 10 or 15 years. Capcom is an investment company, so they constantly spend money as soon as they make it. They don't want to have mountains of gold sitting around collecting dust when they could put it out into new business ventures. The $150M figure that everyone talks about is completely separate from their actual game development budget; it's literally just money that sits in the bank , untouched forever

Capcom isn't broke and no one is likely to buy them outright. People are just so mad about Mega Man Legends 3, SFxT, DmC and shit that they just eat up any piece of negative news that they can.
>>
Capcom's only hope to win back their fans and #1 spot for funnest developer is to make damn sure REmake 2 and DMC5 are fucking quality. Then make another Megaman game. Don't matter which series of Megaman, normies and huge MM fans will explode. Top it all off with a Dragon's Dogma 2 announcement and a collab with Kamiya. Bam. Capcom saves video games.
>>
>>329696687
>REmake 2 and DMC5
SF is their best selling franchise and SFV was a disater, if anything I'd expect no more effort for either REmake 2 or DMC5.

>Then make another Megaman game
Just let it go.

>Dragon's Dogma 2
Didn't the first sell like shit? Also there's Dragon's Dogma Online, which pretty much throws any chance of a true sequel ever happening.

>collab with Kamiya
And that's a good thing how?
>>
>>329692875
What Happened?

All the talent left.
No Mikami,no Kamiya, No Suda. Even as individuals they have an incredible presence and vision. Now imagine a dream company were these guys can bounce around ideas and assist each other? That was Pre-2008 Capcom.

Not to mention they took a huge portion of their art and dev talent with them. Current Capcom is a litteral shell of its former self built on past glories.

Beyonetta
Wonderful 101
Vanquish
Evil Within
Scalebound
Lollipop Chainsaw
Killer is Dead
Shadows of the Damned

Are "Classic" Capcom games, but then......

DMC
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil Revlations
Resident Evil Revlations 2
Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City
Resident Evil Umbrella Corps
Lost Planet 3
Dark Void
Bionic Comando reboot
Dead Rising 2/3
Street Fighter x Tekken

Are purely calculated and poorly executed cash grabs that ignore the competence of the consumer, developed by interns and outside freelancers who couldn't give a shit.
>>
>>329695630
>on a fundamental level the game is enjoyable because on a fundamental level all fighting games are the same
You have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Doesn't surprise me considering you actually thinking cvs2 and ST are better SF games.
>>
>>329692875
They've stopped being developer and became publisher instead.

It's funny because some time ago Capcom's logo was like seal of quality.
>>
I feel bad for Capcom.
Nintendo took away the handheld Zelda games.
And those were awesome.
>>
>>329694883
It's a okay fighting, that got called out by everyone that isn't a Capcom fanboy, for releasing a game that is basically still in beta.
>>
>>329692875
Dlc abuse, trolling and lying to their fans, douche toxic enviroment to their employees, you name it.
>>
>>329694356
Ha ha ha ha good one
>>
>>329697960
Suda 51 never worked for Capcom though, he worked on Killer7 as a freelancer.
>>
>>329697989
what does sfv offer in it's gameplay that you cant find in a bunch of other fighting games

you can't even say "stubby, shitty normals" because strekken exists
>>
>>329694883
I do agree it's not bad game. Hell, it's a good game.

There's the problem. It's fucking Street Fighter. I expected something way more.

And don't even try to defend KI-like business model.
>>
>>329697212
Gameplay wise, there isn't anything wrong with SFV. Too bad it didn't have an arcade test like every other fighter does.

I'm not a huge Megaman fan. I'm just saying they should bank on people's nostalgia. They're all decently fun anyways.

Dragon's Dogma sold okay. I think more than they expected but less than what they wanted. The pc version did good in their eyes.

Kamiya was at his best with Capcom.
>>
>>329699898
>Kamiya was at his best with Capcom

Funny because he made his best game (Bayonetta) outside of Capcom.
>>
File: 1445347892182.jpg (21 KB, 300x316) Image search: [Google]
1445347892182.jpg
21 KB, 300x316
>>329700290
>Bayo
>better than Okami
>>
WOAH YES CAPCOM I WANT MORE UNFINISHED GAMES LIKE DMC4 AND SFV. ALSO I LOVE YO GAMES NIGGA SO KEEP ON RE RELEASING THE SAME SHIT EVERY GEN TRULY THE BEST DEVS
>>
Greed happened.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.