[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VR
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
File: Oculus-Rift-vs-HTC-Vive.jpg (113 KB, 680x375) Image search: [Google]
Oculus-Rift-vs-HTC-Vive.jpg
113 KB, 680x375
>Vive
+room-scale tracking
+Steam up and running
+better shipping costs
+lower hardware requirements
-heavier and bigger controllers that feel like a stick in VR
-heavier headset
-more expensive
-no integrated audio or mic

>Rift
+better quality and more polished
+cheaper
-useless shit being bundled
-no motion controllers in many months
-shipping costs like hell
-Zuckerberg behind everything
-focuses more on social experiences and apps instead of games

Now when the dust has settled and no one of us has money to buy neither of them, which one would you get?
>>
neither kill yourself
VR headsets are exclusively sex toys
post on /d/ this is NOT a normal fetish.
>>
>>329690310
you didn't even mention the single most important factor here, which is content
>>
>>329690467
>vr is such a gimmick
>muh neck and eye strain
>no one will develop for it
>it's just like wii controllers and 3D TVs

Boy /v/ was rift
>>
>>329690310
>-no integrated audio or mic
So it means you can have an actually good headphone and mic, and the addition of mediocre ones doesn't drive the price up unnecessarily?
>>
>>329690310
Gonna get the rift. It has 15x15 foot tracking, which is more than enough for me, senpai. Also, I don't trust valve or HTC at all. I'm assuming by "useless shit" you mean the xbone controller.
>>
>>329690310
>$600
vs
>$800

Is all I see.
>>
>>329690969
The Vive has an integrated mic. Not adding one would be monumentally stupid.
>>
i don't have a facebook account
>>
>>329691080
Well, if you add Oculus Touch to the equation, they'll probably cost roughly the same.
That's assuming that you actually want Touch, though.
>>
>>329690969
The thing with the Rift is that everyone having the same mic allows everyone's volume levels and audio quality to be the same in social VR and multiplayer games.

Also Palmer said the Rift's headphones are probably better than most of the average games'
>>
>>329690310
Like fuck I'm buying an Oculus Jew.

A VR device is solely useful as a waifu machine, and why the fuck would I want to integrate social networking with that?
>>
you have a picture of the devkits

also
>vive heavier
apparently not by enough because nobody demoing them noticed
>no integrated audio
I'm pretty sure there will be.

>rift better quality
I prefer the look of the vive actually
>cheaper
once you consider the touch controls not included then no
>>
>>329691228
>I'm pretty sure there will be.
The Vive comes with a pair of earbuds, that's it. What it does have, though, is an audio jack on the headset itself. I'm not sure if the Rift has that.
>>
>>329691080
>>329691203
In some countries the Vive is even cheaper thanks to the Touch+shipping costs

>>329691228
>apparently not by enough because nobody demoing them noticed
Many did, not many just reported them. It might just be balanced well but it weights almost twice as much as my headphones

>I prefer the look of the vive actually
I was not talking about the looks, but the structure and stability
>>
It's good though
>>
>>329691429
>I was not talking about the looks, but the structure and stability
I don't think we really have enough information about how durable these things are in the long run, do we.
>>
Neither, but I am keeping a close eye on both.

I'll probably buy when their second iterations come out.

For the time being they're both rather pricey and, on top of that, I would have to upgrade my PC quit a bit. I'd have to drop well over a grand to get myself ready, which I don't think is worth it for now.
>>
What's the point of getting a VR headset when you only play old games from the 8-16 bit eras?
>>
>>329691203
I really can't see the Touch costing $200
>>
>>329690310
Vive all the way

Fuck that gimmicky jewculus bullshit
>>
>>329691643
Guess we'll see. In any case, you'll have to pay twice for shipping.
>>
File: 54081.jpg (16 KB, 325x350) Image search: [Google]
54081.jpg
16 KB, 325x350
The real question is this.

Which has more support for wanking machines?
>>
>>329691614
Yeah, same here.
>>
>>329691795
This is why I'm waiting for it to hit stores in my country. Even if they bump up the price, it must be cheaper than than the postage because they order it in bulk.
>>
>>329691540
What I've heard is that the Vive dev kits feel flimsy and break easily when dropped whereas the Rift feels more sturdy
>>
Let's get this shit started.

>eye fedora
>>
>>329692315
>dropping them ever

Some people don't deserve such technology
>>
>>329692315
Those are devkits though.
>>
>>329692315
the vive pre or the old dev kits?

I don't think the pre has been out long enough to know
>>
>>329690310
HELLO YES

IS THERE WAY I CAN MAKE FUCK TO ANIME WOMAN WIT GOGLES

PLS TELL ME I THINK ABOUT BUYING GOGGLE FOR MAKE FUCK TO ANIME WOMAN USING FLASHLIGHT
>>
>>329690310
>rift is better quality and more polished

how to tell someone has o idea what theyre talking about
>>
>>329692315
I've heard both that the Touch feels flimsy, and that the Touch feeling flimsy is just because it's so light. Who the fuck knows at this point.
>>
>>329692791
What? How would that even work. What a weird idea.
>>
>>329690849
I don't get thet whole "Wii was just a gimmick" narrative since there's STILL motion controls being used in current times.
>>
File: 234235135.gif (3 MB, 409x250) Image search: [Google]
234235135.gif
3 MB, 409x250
>>329693018

>>329693174
Wii is a gimmick, just a underpowered piece of software with controllers that do nothing but restrict and make things harder
>>
File: 1326647983100.jpg (52 KB, 524x451) Image search: [Google]
1326647983100.jpg
52 KB, 524x451
>VR that requires you to walk around your room

Perfect for that specific market of people who can walk around in the dark and not crash into anything. Do they come with shin protectors?
>>
>>329693706
>he's a hoarder who lives in a shithole so full of shit he can't make even a 6.5x5' clear space
>>
File: soon.jpg (203 KB, 1200x777) Image search: [Google]
soon.jpg
203 KB, 1200x777
The lack of proper games for the Vive is really starting to make me worried.

We have a bunch of indie memes that rely on very basic gameplay elements and a tiny handful of existing games that support the hardware.
Most the other titles are Oculus exclusives or havent made Vive support, for reasons as dumb as assuming Vive cant do seated gaming.

Valve should have taken charge and given us one solid game or a funded a few conversions for VR compatibility.

Im starting to think ill play out my vive roomscale for 2-3 weeks, be bored with limited content and sell it so i can switch to Rift.

It feels like Valve half-assed their entry into the market or assumed Oculus would not lock out HTC hardware.
>>
>>329693950
>he's a poorfag college student whose only furniture consists of a milk crate TV stand and a mattress on the floor
>>
>>329694263
Thats why i got the Rift. Every Vive game will end up using Steam VR which has Rift integration built in anyways. Where as there are Rift games that wont work for the Vive.
>>
>>329694905
I fell for the roomscale meme and my Rift preorder is slated for June.

The only positive is that I have a gap to enjoy the Vive for a while before switching over.

Its a real shame they've gone into this console war-like bullshit. This doesnt do VR any good.
>>
>>329694263
Wait, does each VR headset have its own specific set of games?

That's retarded. Why don't they just make a single standardized VR framework and have every headset be compatible with it?
>>
https://youtu.be/PHqCueheGKiI
https://youtu.be/HqCueheGKiI
/thread
>>
>>329695391
Because Oculus is greedy and Valve doesnt care enough to reach some kind of compromise.

Rift cant do roomscale games at least until touch gets here and/or Oculus works out their tracking issues.

Vive is blocked from Rift games because Oculus funded a few devs. Trying to get a competitive advantage they forced em to sell to Rift users only for an undetermined period of time.
>>
>>329696092
I think this kind of business policy will only hurt adoption overall. People are much more wary to purchase an expensive VR headset if they're not even sure if it will be the one they need to run their games down the line.
>>
>>329696387
are you also mad you can only play bayonetta 2 on the wii u?
>>
File: advanced computing.webm (2 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
advanced computing.webm
2 MB, 800x450
I hope more people fall for the hype. It'll be further developed. Meanwhile, I'll be happy to wait a while for the number of available games, movies, etc. to increase.

I don't have to be the first to get one. The price doesn't even bother me, but it seems nonsensical to buy one so I can only play meatloaf samurai 356 and job simulator and a thousand other poorly developed, quickly published indie games.
>>
>>329693950
>have to move several pieces of furniture just to play a wagglan game

Great design senpai
>>
>>329696948
That's different. Game consoles are an established thing already, the VR companies are trying to make a new thing and I don't think setting up arbitrary content walls will help people to built trust in the product
>>
>>329690310
>no integrated audio or mic
>-
pick one
>>
>>329696387
Anyone with the patience to wait for the second gen sets is making the smart choice. By then everything will be better and the situation more clear. Or we'll see VR fail because people got greedy and started going for profits instead of potential.

Unfortunately ive run out of patience and want my shiny new toy now.
>>
>>329690310
Vive does have a mic. It even lets you take calls while in VR

http://www.roadtovr.com/the-htc-vive-will-let-you-call-and-text-whilst-in-virtual-reality/

I think Vive has Oculus beat on features at least on release. SteamVR is supposed to support Oculus as well but obviously on release it isn't going to have the same level of support. We'll see.
>>
>>329691429
>Many did, not many just reported them.

No, people reported it. It's just not a big deal because the weight differences aren't a big deal. It's 85 grams.

>>329692315
Where did you hear that because I've had the exact opposite experience. I've tried Oculus CV1 samples that were beat to shit.
>>
>>329690310
Will people actually pay for either?

Seems like a gimmick that will be tossed aside after a few months. Apple Watch seems the same
>>
>>329693174
>>329690849
>>329693339
Wii motion control was a gimmick

What console has just motion control? They all have controllers again.

Kinect is dead and was just a peripheral like MOVE
>>
>>329699402
Have you ever seen a video of someone using a VR headset for the first time? Pretty much everyone tries to reach out and touch a virtual object at some point, and then they get a little weirded out because they can't see their hands.
That's why people are doing motion controls for VR.
>>
In 5 years it will be a meme device like the steering wheel or HOTAs.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.