[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why, tell me why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: tyHAkcY.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
tyHAkcY.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
I downloaded the dmeo of Yokai Watch here in europe, the game looks good and all that BUT

Why does the combat in this RPG(!!) have to be fucking touchscreen minigames?! Is this what people like nowadays? Kids can't use strategy by choosing abilities that they have to shove minigames in combat to win?

I don't know how this game is so popular.
>>
>>329677890
Because if it was turn-based, people would be complaining more about it being a pokemon clone than ever.
You CAN use the stick and A button to do minigames, but that makes it pretty difficult.
>>
>>329677890
>he uses exclamation and question marks

OP your faggotry never ceases to amaze me
>>
>>329677890
By the way, I gave this game to some of my younger cousins to try and they kept on tapping the display screen instead of the touch screen underneath. Same for library kids, who were probably raised on phone games.
Take that as what you wil.l
>>
>>329678129
I understand that it can be fun for kids, but what i don't get is all that "pokemon killer" or "rpg of the century" marketing
>>
>>329678219
Marketers never once said it was the pokemon killer, not Nintendo or Disney (Maybe viz media, but they just want to be as big as YW). Hell, the creators wanted it to be the next Doraemon, and the success they had surprised them all.

Some people did comparison numbers between YW2 (three games) and ORAS and saw that YW2 outsold the latter.

Clickbait articles used it to their advantage and over warped the story to give YW the 'pokemon killer' title. Sure enough those stories spread. Thus lead to the shitposting that occurred all before the game's release in the US.
>>
>>329677890
it's aimed specifically for children, even moreso than Pokemon
play a man's RPG, play Ogre Battle or Riviera
>>
>>329677890
It got popular in JP because of the anime, along with a lack of adults hogging merchandise, goodies, arcade, and harassing kids in general.
I personally don't mind touchscreen, buy I guess some people don't like the gimmick, even when the DS was a thing in the past
>>
>>329677890
You play minigames only for doing super attacks and removing status debuffs.

The main strategy seems to come from your team before you enter battle. The type combinations you field out gives different bonuses, different personalities give different stat growth and have different battle tactics. Also the super attacks do different things, so it's not just about spamming them.

I mean it is for kids in the end so anyone could bumble their way through it, but it isn't as mindless as you're shitposting it out to be. I know, I've played mobile JRPGs. I've seen the bottom of shit barrel and Yo Kai Watch is nowhere near that level yet.
>>
>>329679596
different guy that played the game here. While I do agree with what you said, I think one problem that occurs is how underutilized the target button is in battles outside of bosses. Sure, you can use it to single out a yokai to take on, but why do that when they can all be wiped out by a soultimate that refills itself every time the yokai levels up...or go to a nearby Eyepo? It gets to the point when they don't even use the target button in boss battles...with some really bad results (see almost anyone fighting Sproink).
If game had an option to stop filling in soultimate meter whenever leveling or visiting an eyepo it could get more use.
>>
>>329677890
it's pretty fun late-game when it becomes more plate-spinny: de-inspiriting your yokai, tagging enemies and whisps all while you try to find an opening to use a soultimate.
the actual yokai tracking and bug/fish minigames get old fucking fast though.
>>
Its designed as a phone game, since phone gaming is extremely popular in japan
>>
File: BcRlO4gCUAANwhe.jpg (16 KB, 361x351) Image search: [Google]
BcRlO4gCUAANwhe.jpg
16 KB, 361x351
>>329678987
>Tactical RPGs
No thank you.
>>
>>329681865
but then why put it on the 3DS and not on an actual phone?
>>
>>329678987
I don't mind a light-hearted romp though, and the writing can be pretty good
>>
>>329680316
The target button is there because it's a way for you to fill up your Soultimate meter faster on simpler battles, when you aren't leveling up. It's also a important mechanic when you are playing against someone since multiplayer battles don't start with the Soultimate meters filled.
You gotta inspired someone and target it so your meter fills up by having your yo-kai attacking it.
>>
>>329678038
What is wrong with using question marks?
>>
>>329677890
Man, stop being fucking old. "Kids these days..."
What are you? 50?
Learn how to play the game properly. The fucking demo has you overleved against level 3 Yo-kai, recharges your meter every battle and doesn't let you change your yo-kai nor use items.
Go watch people play it, idk. Watch people play the post-game.
Stop posting your shit opinion when you are wrong.
>>
>>329678038
>USING LOWER CASE LETTERS

CHECK OUT THIS FUCKING COCK CHOMPER OVER HERE
>>
game is literally for kids and all they play now is phone and tablet instant gratification "games"
>>
>>329683127
Just like pokemon and you don't see adults whining about it
>>
>it's a kids game

I wish more games were as fun and had as much content this game has
https://youtu.be/oLJy2c-K2Qk?t=9m
>>
>>329683304
ever checked out /vp/ before the game annoucement? There was a lot of whining about it (something about it being easier?)
>>
File: fixed it for you.png (3 MB, 1184x8682) Image search: [Google]
fixed it for you.png
3 MB, 1184x8682
Might as well post this in case anyone is curious about the game in general
>>
>>329681704
yeah the fact there are only 3 minigames to play around with kinda stink in the long run. They should've add at least 3-4 more to make 14 total: 7 for soultimate charging and 7 for purifying, maybe even more for specific yokai
>>
The only times you'll ever use the touchscreen is to heal your yokai. The Soultimates are worthless.
>>
File: 20151022_160144.jpg (685 KB, 1041x623) Image search: [Google]
20151022_160144.jpg
685 KB, 1041x623
>>329686615
yeah I don't think that works.
>>
>>329687306
It works, you just suck at the game, but halfway through I stopped using Soultimates because they took too much time and weren't DPS efficient.
>>
>>329687407
Yeah it works if you got one of those overpowered crank-a-kai yo-kai. Doesn't work so well if you just use normal yo-kai and don't overlevel before each major encounter.
>>
>>329688474
I had no overpowered yo-kai, faggot, just whatever I got from befriending. You just suck at the game, really.
>>
>>329687407
but how does one suck at a game that plays itself?
>>
>>329688747
Because you don't choose the right yokai and you don't plan your strategy. It doesn't completely play itself.
>>
>>329689195
Based off the image he posted in >>329687306 , I don't think he has the luxury to switch yokai team members or use items, since it looks like he's playing the demo
>>
>>329677890
People complained about traditional turn-based RPGs not being interesting to keep attention, so they change it up.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.