[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you think VR will affect emulation? I'm not talking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: VR.jpg (37 KB, 630x394) Image search: [Google]
VR.jpg
37 KB, 630x394
How do you think VR will affect emulation?

I'm not talking about hacking emulated games to work in VR (Which, apparently someone already did with metroid prime and shadow of collosus)
But rather emulating the platforms themselves, you could literally have a virtual console with a virtual tv that the games were made to be played on. or imagine emulating a handhald and actually seeing a handheld.

You remember that whole "you wouldn't download a car" bullshit propaganda campaign?

We're literally getting to the "You wouldn't download a console" age.
>>
im not retarded. i dont want to emulate looking onto another screen
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blE43U3PTGQ

Already kind of a thing.
>>
They already made that.
New Retro Arcade.
>>
>>329629289
All I want to do with VR is sit in a VR theater and watch movies.
Not like it's any worse watching it on a tv or laptop.

I got surround sound, I can just sit in a recliner and pretend I have the theater all to myself.
>>
>>329629513
But why not? Instead of having your 24-30 inch screen you could emulate a movie theater size screen to play games on all at a higher quality than your current monitor. Then you would have all the immersive bullshit like a games shelf, putting games in and out of consoles etc. You'd have an entire retro game room but without actually needing the room or money for one.
>>
>>329629652
This would be awesome in a multiplayer setting. Imagine being able to play all those old arcade games with a bunch of friends online in the same lobby.
>>
>>329629513
>He doesn't want to play his games on top of an active volcano, sitting on a throne of ice, having a magical crystal screen held by naked big tittied angels.

We've established you're not a man, but are you even fucking human?
>>
File: 1427320277602.png (77 KB, 202x262) Image search: [Google]
1427320277602.png
77 KB, 202x262
>>329630215
but why not just go to a fucking arcade or hang out with your firneds in REAL FUCKING LIFE FUCK
>>
>>329630439
those friends might live in different states or countries, for starters
>>
>>329629289
I don't see the big advantage here over just emulating it on a monitor.
Except for what this guy said: >>329630215
That could be cool.
>>
>>329630439
>dont live near me
>no big arcade near me
>even if there is an arcade near me there isn't an arcade with literally every game ever made in the history of mankind with all arcade cabinets and stupid shit like bowling
>can simulate all kinds of cool games as well as arcade games like tabletop games that even influence the world around you in game when shit happens
>can do stupid shit like bowling or tennis while in the comfort of your own home because it's not a nice day every day and sometimes people cant be assed to pay to go outside and do things
>>
>>329630439
arcades barely even fucking exist though
>>
>>329630848
You're kind of straying away from emulation towards a general multiplayer game collection type of thing here.
Which is something I can see working extremely well.
>>
>>329630439
Because arcades are dead in America.

>>329630684
3Ds would be a perfect example for me, you can emulate the games, but imagine if you could emulate 3Ds better than 3Ds can.

What I'm saying is, imagine playing a virtual 3Ds with the VR, where there's no viewing angle restriction on the 3D, and there's no sweet spot requirement or the eye strain involved with experiencing it.
>>
Sure, you could emulate holding a handheld, but I'd rather just have a giant screen hover in front of my eyes so I can play while lying on the bed.
>>
>>329630993
Well the arcade is a start. I'm just thinking of a big VR hangout game/app. Could share a big lobby with people or start your own, massive movie theater with adjustable screen sizes, tons of arcade games, bowling, basketball, tennis etc etc. I also see this being pretty big for streaming as well, imagine watching a sporting or esport event with a bunch of other people in the simulated arena or simulated theater where chat is replaced by actual virtual avatars. It'd get pretty gimmicky but when setting up rooms with friends it'd have some nice applications.
>>
>>329631062
>Sure, you could emulate holding a handheld, but I'd rather just have a giant screen hover in front of my eyes so I can play while lying on the bed.

Virtual cinema, I think, is a draw point to VR for everyone, honestly I'm getting PSVR primarily for that reason.

But I'm also thinking about stuff like this >>329631006
>>
>>329631214
>imagine watching a sporting or esport event with a bunch of other people in the simulated arena or simulated theater where chat is replaced by actual virtual avatars.
That's already a thing.
>>
>>329631297
I haven't seen anything like that. I also haven't seen any major sports league support it. I'm imagining like buying a virtual ticket to a football or hockey game or fuck it the olympics and you get literally put in a seat in the stadium with a bunch of other people and you get to watch the events from the simulated arena
>>
>>329631214
I hope sony does this with PSVR, I have a bunch of people on my friends list that I like interacting with but they're all scattered around the globe, imagine doing a raid in destiny where you all log in, and you're all in a virtual lobby where you can hang out until everyone is there, and when the session starts you're basically all there hanging out.

I think VR is a good way give that living room couch experience to people who aren't physically able to gather up.

They probably will too, remember ps home? There's no chance in hell they're not bringing that back for the VR, and for PC, well that's the beauty of PC, if nobody wants to do it, some indiefag will get on it.
>>
>>329631454
There's no arena type stuff that I know of, but there's an official Oculus app for putting a bunch of people in the same virtual room to watch twitch.
>>
>>329631589
Remember how at last E3, Oculus announced that weird feature that would let you play xbone games on a virtual screen in VR?
Pretty sure the thing you just described is the real point of that.
>>
>>329629289
you don't need to hide your vision of the outside world for that. or for anything else. simulating another screen within an application would have already been done at some point with traditional 2D or stereoscopic software if it had any value
>>
>>329631454
>I'm imagining like buying a virtual ticket to a football or hockey game or fuck it the olympics and you get literally put in a seat in the stadium with a bunch of other people and you get to watch the events from the simulated arena
Once they get multiprojection tech straightened out, I can see comapnies setting up stadiums so they can be explored real-time in 3D, and charging people for VR tickets, basically get to watch the game from any seat you want, or hell, even from the field.
>>
>we're only a few short years away before we'll be playing video games inside of video games
>>
>>329630027
>But why not? Instead of having your 24-30 inch screen you could emulate a movie theater size screen to play games on all at a higher quality than your current monitor.

Id just play the games natively thru the VR device's display.

>Then you would have all the immersive bullshit like a games shelf, putting games in and out of consoles etc.

thats fine if people want to do that. but im not that autistic
>>
>>329631983
>Virtual environment is same as a videogame.

Grow up.
>>
>>329630439
Arcades are dead
>>
>>329631954
Actually pretty excited for that, wouldn't mind buying a digital ticket to see the olympics.
>>
>>329629652
>Playing video games inside VR video games
What a time to be alive
>>
File: 118[1].jpg (211 KB, 2000x1600) Image search: [Google]
118[1].jpg
211 KB, 2000x1600
>>329631983
System Shock already did that in the nineties.
>>
>>329632225
Holy hell... i remember those.
>>
>>329632063
>Id just play the games natively thru the VR device's display.
No you wouldn't.

You know why?

Because VR covers a large part of your vision, and your focal point is very small and the screen would then move with your head, so basically you wouldn't be able to see the UI as anything other than the blurry splotches at the edge of your peripheral vision. while your character would be 80% obscured by your nose. not to mention all the horrible motion sickness you'd experience.

Games not designed for VR are horrible to just flood your FOV with, that's why they're doing simulated cinema, not out of some imaginary coolness factor, but out of necessity. They need it set up to where you can see whatever part of the screen you want clearly, and they need a way of grounding you to prevent motion sickness.
>>
>>329632063
>Id just play the games natively thru the VR device's display.
That would probably be a bad idea. It would cut off the outer edge of the screen, where many games tend to put UI elements, and might also lead to sim sickness, depending on the game and your tolerance.
>>
>>329632063
see >>329632401
and watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZVVs5O8NC0
Ignore all the "Powa of za praisutation" bullshillt. and actually pay attention to the design pointers, he actually explains very well the amount of effort and forethought required for making a game work on VR, and all of this would apply as to why you can't just 1:1 your game to the VR headset and have it be good.
>>
>>329632218
>>329631983
Something like leapfrog, that can accurately and without delay detect hand movement, it'll basically make it possible to realistically emulate consoles with proprietary controllers, for example the wii u, 3ds, steel battalion, steering wheels and guitar controllers, etc...
>>
>>329631954
>multiprojection tech
What does that mean?
Naively, if you want to be able to put the viewer into any seat, you either need to capture the light field at every seat which is probably impossible because the people are in the way, or you need to come up with a way to simulate the entire stadium in real time. Right?
>>
>>329633051
problem with that is nohaptics
holding your hand in the air pretending it's holding a joystick is probably not gonna be very fun
>>
>>329633197
>What does that mean?
It means what it sounds like, its projection from multiple angles, if for example an object is captured with a 3D camera from the side and from a 45 degree angle, everything spanning those 45 degrees can be simmulated via software because the data is there, its not really possible in real life, but in controlled environments like a stadium you can do it, the concept is not that far off from 3D television, it just needs a lot larger amount of data since you're not viewing from a single point. Its still not going to magically make shit that's not visible into something visible, so not like you'll be able to pause and go into a huddle to see where a ball is, and you won't be able to stick your head between the player's leg to see where a ball is. But for general viewing its more than possible.
>>
>>329633197
>>329633732
I just realised now you're talking about the stadium itself, not the playfield.
They just 3Dscan/capture/model the stadium of nobody being there and simulate the audience, if that's even necessary, mybe people wanna watch a game while sitting in the front row all alone, jacking off.
>>
>>329632174
>Digital superb owl
>Digital world cup
Watching sports in social VR with /sp/ would be great.
>>
>>329633908
>if that's even necessary, mybe people wanna watch a game while sitting in the front row all alone, jacking off.
I dunno. I'm really not a SPORTS type of guy but I'd imagine the audience is a big part of the experience there.
>>
>>329634115
Me either, but I can't imagine tossing some CGI or whatever shit is going to be and charging you.

Or I can totally see NBA/NHL whatever the fuck else they call themselves sinking a couple mill into paying a bunch of shit tier actors to sit in every seat with whatever colors on and recording them one at a time for a compost later on, y'know?

They gotta find some excuse to charge people literally hundreds and thousands of dollars for these experiences.
and being able to essentially sell an unlimited number of front row seats will probably be too good of a carrot for them to pass up chasing the stick, you know?
>>
>>329634889
They could place like ten 360° camera/microphone rigs in the audience somewhere and use the footage from the closest one for the close up stuff. For the ranks on the other side of the stadium, detail doesn't really matter anyway.
>>
>>329635261
I was actually thinking the same thing, far off details just don't matter as long as tehy're just simulating what's close to you.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.