[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>>JS: The stronghold never really got the content it needed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: pillars of cuckiternity.jpg (33 KB, 580x401) Image search: [Google]
pillars of cuckiternity.jpg
33 KB, 580x401
>>JS: The stronghold never really got the content it needed to make it feel worthwhile or important. During development we realized that if we had someone focusing on stronghold content, it would jeopardize other quests that we felt were more valuable. That's why the stronghold wound up being system-heavy and content-light.

So instead of making something as good as BG2's stronghold's, Obsidian cheaped out AGAIN and underdelivered.

BRAVA CU-CK SAWYER

BRAVA

>game was so embarrassingly written by Sawyer it forced Chris Avellone to leave Obsidian in disgrace
>one of the blandest fantasy settings ever because obsidian wanted to play it safe because they were close to bankruptcy
>stupid lore (rich fantasy niggers. elder scrolls pls go)
>unnatural dialog that just lore dumps at you
>boring companions (the priest guy seemed kind of interesting) that don't interact with the world like they did in Baldur's Gate 2
>don't know what kind of wacky tobacky they were smoking when they made the stats for the characters
>"Balanced" skills and spells makes combat boring
>trash mobs as far as the eye can see also you get no xp for killing them
>MMO style weapon design where nothing is unique like BG2 and instead are just FOUR STAM FOUR STRENGTH LEATHER BELT
>typically buggy Obsidian release (they're seriously at patch 3.00)
>no mod tools in sight

And now they're charging for - get this - Part 2 of an expansion pack. If a PCu-ck could explain why this is acceptable, I'd love to hear it.

Why did PCucks on this sub declare this game a savior of the genre again when it doesn't even fix the problems Baldur's Gate 1 had?
>>
A fail to see how this is Nintendo related. Reported.
>>
>>329607487
Don't remind me, I back that piece of shit and rode the hype train. I didn't know it was possible to be more jaded for me. Now I am.

THANKS SAWYER
>>
File: pillars of eternity.png (836 KB, 499x749) Image search: [Google]
pillars of eternity.png
836 KB, 499x749
>>329609772
PoE and Wasteland 2 are a double impact of mediocre disappointment
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (221 KB, 1044x770) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
221 KB, 1044x770
>>329610107
Wasteland 2>PoE (why it's always the case when I pirate one and buy one, the pirated one is fucking better?).

>play BG2:EE
>mfw
>>
File: 1456674274009.gif (903 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1456674274009.gif
903 KB, 300x200
I know this thread is copypasta day in day out but:

>We often were not clean in the Pillars base game. There are a ton of reasons for that. Rust, experience level (maybe 10 different people contributed writing, all with varying levels of experience), a lack of time to edit, a new setting that demanded a large amount of exposition, and a plot that exacerbated the problem by requiring that a lot of it be front-loaded. I cringe at plenty of my own stuff when I look back at it.

>We often were not clean in the Pillars base game. There are a ton of reasons for that. Rust, experience level (maybe 10 different people contributed writing, all with varying levels of experience), a lack of time to edit, a new setting that demanded a large amount of exposition, and a plot that exacerbated the problem by requiring that a lot of it be front-loaded. I cringe at plenty of my own stuff when I look back at it.

Obsidian shits on it's own writing

People kickstarted a game where the writers admit they delivered a subpar experience

You can't make it up
>>
>>329610465
This killed my cRPG enthusiasm. Which hurt twice as much, becuse I just started enjoying this shit (not like I used to, but still).

Being dumb, young and normiecore sure sounds pretty fun to me. I just want to fucking enjoy vidya (and the first step is to leave /v/, good luck with that).
>>
>>329610423
WL2 is better, but it lacks any and all replay value in the class building
>>
>>329610465
This is why I prefer simple but good stories like Fallout. They're harder to fuck up and I think people put too much emphasis on story in games. If your game has a good story but shitty quests and everything else, why bother? I can handle a mediocre story if everything else is up to par.
>>
File: 1456243650342.png (6 KB, 79x86) Image search: [Google]
1456243650342.png
6 KB, 79x86
>>329610465
holy shit

It's even more hilarious because Obsidiots always praise Obsidian's masterful writing
>>
>>329610465
What'd you expect? There's a reason this pile of shit had to be Kickstarted.
>>
>>329610465
To be fair admitting their own faults isn't a bad thing. Larian admitted the story wasn't very good in Divinity OS and it's one of the things they plan on improving with OS2.
>>
>>329613914
Time for Obsidian damage control right on cue

If it were ANY other dev you'd be laughing at their ineptitude

Go shovel a few more of your paychecks into their next scamstarter buddy
>>
>>329614258
I didn't play or back poor man's BG2 but nice try.
>>
>>329607487
>this pasta again
it's really stale now since white march pt 2 added a ton of stronghold shit
>>
>>329614390
This and The Witcher 3/Inquisition one get posted constantly. Why does this guy (and it's obviously the same guy) have literally nothing else to do?
>>
>>329607487

>BG2's stronghold

What?
>>
>>329614663
You're forgetting the BG2 romance thread and sawyer is a cu-ck
>>
>>329613548
>Obsidian
>Masterful writing

Better than Bioware, sure, but it's usually deconstructionist wankery (aka the tropes Bioware invented) and rarely anything above that.
>>
>>329613914
>>329614258
>>329614362
What's funny is Chris Avellone left Obsidian and is now working on OS2
>>
>>329615741
>the tropes Bioware invented
are you literally retarded or just pretending

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth
>>
>>329613817
by that logic most AAA games should never even leave the conceptional phase.
>>
>>329616168
he would probably agree
>>
>>329614390
>>it's really stale now since white march pt 2 added a ton of stronghold shit
>You have to buy DLC for a game to be good

Obsidiots, ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>329616130
*the tropes Bioware invented for RPGs

That make your autism happy?
>>
>>329614663
The Witcher 3/Inquisition thread is a wee babe compared to this one, it has even changed through its considerable life.
>>
>>329616168
the fuck does this even mean
>>
>>329616359
>the tropes Bioware invented for RPGs
they didn't invent shit, they took hero's journey and implemented it

unless you count "get 4 plot tokens in 4 different locations" as a trope or whatever

also apparently I am autist because I know about hero's journey

Obsidian haters, everyone
>>
>>329613914
That game is bland, they just need to call up the dragon commander writers and voice actors and attach to some gameplay that isn't a piece of shit
>>
>>329616530
I don't hate Obsidian, I'm just saying that their best material has something to work off of and it's rarely their own work

Like how NWN2 sucks, but its expansion is really good
>>
>>329616713
Both NWN2 and MotB were made by Obsidian. NWN2 doesn't really have anything in common with 1 apart from using a modified Aurora engine (also used by kurwas, though they did a better job with it, then again they had more time). I don't see anything wrong with iteration.

I also would not call MotB to be "deconstructive". It's actually pretty fairy-tailish in some instances, and overall it just have a great story. FNV is not deconstructive either. Really, it's just Avellone who loves destroying stuff, but he isn't the only good writer Obs have/had.
>>
>>329617019
>Obsidian
>good writers

are you okay anon?
>>
>>329610465
Nice. Which writer said that?
>>
>>329617654
I agree, memeing is preferable to engaging in a discussion. We're on 4chan, after all. Roofles!
>>
>>329616065
Avellone "works" on like 3/4 of the the indie rpgs that come out nowadays. It means nothing.
>>
>>329617747
The head writer, Eric Finsterminster or something

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84754-too-much-text/page-3#entry1782668

It really makes me laugh what a reputation of mediocrity the game has now that even the devs are owning up to it
>>
Anyone else get annoying as fuck fps drops during combat?
When there's lots of spells going off it's a literal slideshow for 2-3 secs of so
>>
>>329617996
>It really makes me laugh what a reputation of mediocrity the game has now that even the devs are owning up to it

Which contrasts all of the glowing 10/10's the game got from hack reviewers who didn't know better
>>
>>329618312
It has great user score too, though...

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pillars-of-eternity
>>
>>329618312
"oooo! more obsidian trash! they're the only REAL rpg devs around anymore!"
>>
>>329618489
They must have felt really bad after fucking them with that 84/100 on Metacritic which stopped them from getting royalties on New Vegas
>>
>>329617996
Heh, that's pretty amazing. Overall that's not a bad post though, even if I cringed hard at the "elaborate dialogue branching is a bad thing" part.

What companions did this guy write? I know he worked on most of the main story, but companions tell you a lot more about a writer. It can't be Durance and GM, and I think that grill writer wrote Edér and Aloth, so that means it had to be Hiravias, Kana, Pallegina or Sagani.

Please don't be Pallegina.
>>
>>329618881
Pallegina is Sawyer. He thinks he failed with her, so yeah.
>>
>>329618881
I think Paladin Vagina was Sawyer's own special snowflake
>>
>>329607487
>liking PoE
i knew since the start it was shit
i dont know why people support it

Wasteland 2 > every other kickstart rpg
>>
>>329618459
>implying metacritic is valid
>>
>>329619231
And even then Wasteland 2 kind of sucks, but even it kicks the shit out of every other WRPG from that Kickstarter WRPG experiment
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.