[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you be ok with a constant release of "soul games"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: osnohiruircex3nockf8.jpg (146 KB, 940x529) Image search: [Google]
osnohiruircex3nockf8.jpg
146 KB, 940x529
Would you be ok with a constant release of "soul games"?

They are perhaps the only series I look forward to. I agree than yearly releases get old fast, but these games have a ton of replay value, we can manage.
>>
>>329586929
Yearly releases killed CoD, so no. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.
>>
No. I'm very hype for DaS3, however I look forward and welcome a change of direction after the series is up.
At least change the setting, BB was a breath of fresh air but I want something more alien.
Hell I'd be happy if they'd revisit Armored Core.
>>
Sure, they're decent timewasters and since you can just pirate them they're free
>>
>>329586929
I have no problem with call of souls: yearly edition
But I like dark souls 2
>>
>>329586929
still waiting for my cyber-souls
>>
>>329586929
Absolutely not. Yearly release will never, ever be a good idea for any franchise. ever.
>>
>>329587145

What if FROM gets big enough to develop a second game alongside the soul series?
>>
>>329587269
Then I'll likely start ignoring souls in favor of the new shit.
Like I said, I'm read for a new direction.
>>
DeS 2009
DaS 2011
DaS2 2014
DaS3 2016

epic meme /v/
>>
yeah it would be cool if they put the ds2 team in charge of the project every other year like with cod and treyarch/inf ward to keep things fresh
>>
>>329587386
This

Where the "souls is a yearly rehash" bullshit came from I'll never know.
>>
>Ton of replay
Literally 'play through the game again with a different build' except different builds all play the same really, you roll to dodge an enemies attack, and then attack back. Doesn't matter if you're a mage or melee strength user or whatever, that's the game. Once you've found a boss's attack patterns (which can take literally a few minutes on your first try) that boss is now incredibly easy. Dark Souls will forever be held back due to the fact it's combat is a static formula that never changes.
>>
DeS = Fun but tedious.
DAS = Amazing but feels rushed near the end.
DAS2 = Dogshit
BloodBorne = Amazing but lacking build variety.
>>
>>329587686
>DaS2 = Dogshit

But that just isn't true, anon. Its essentially just more of the same set in a different world. It also has the best build variety, best PvP (MUH SOUL MEMORY) and is easily the biggest, even discounting the DLC.
>>
>>329586929
Look at Megaman and/or Megaman X. You can change shit all day long but sooner or later the series will become a blur and people will start forgetting which game had which boss. Worst case the devs themselves will forget what a Soul game should even be like and turn the end of the series into pure shit.
>>
No.
I look forward to playing this game on release when the community is in its experimental phase and is fun.

Then I look forward to when people figure out the "best" stats and gear, PVP turns to shit and I either have to play invasion survival while I run NG+ or farm for things.

Then I look forward to after the kids who just look up build guides, walkthroughs and all the weapon/armor locations start to get bored and leave and the PVP starts to turn into fight clubs.

Then I look forward to everyone giving up on trying to be the best at multiplayer and just doing silly and fun shit during every invasion.

Those last 2 steps don't happen with a yearly release, instead we get step 1 and 2 on repeat and the community dieing off for the previous game

Also, it means that each game will have less content and less effort put into design.
And a Souls game without content is a pretty shit game indeed.
>>
>>329587912
>Souls games never have any late game content, it's just PvP and playing the game over again, but on different playthroughs, it's always going to be the fucking same. Why do people insist Dark Souls is a hard game? You beat the game once and if you paid even a little bit of attention, you are now a master of the entire PvE. Once you learn when to roll/put your shield up you have effectively beat the entire game and anything DLC could possibly offer.
>>
>>329587115

Over complication and pandering killed COD. It went from a simple shooter to CYBORG FLYING SQUIRRELS WITH OMFG BOOM STICKS.
>>
Didn't Miyazaki say 3 is the last Souls game
>>
Do I just need to git gud or do enemy attacks track my movements in Dark Souls 2? I've had enemies do complete 180° turns on me mid-swing as I roll around them., so it seems like the latter
>>
>>329587492

nope, it will keep one fun and one garbage.
>>
>>329588257

so did bungie and kojima

they won't discard their biggest moneymaker
>>
>>329588257
Yes, but From also doesn't consider Bloodborne to be a Souls game even though it is just with slight changes and a different setting. From is notorious for milking their franchises, we'll get more Souls games just with different names.
>>
>>329588154
That's the issue with yearly releases. You have to one up the previous title each year, and then you end up with a complete mess which feels nothing like the games people actually liked in the series to begin with. Its always a terrible idea. Always
>>
Honestly what I want to see is a character based fighting game with the Souls combat design. A lot of people like PvP and a fighting game that kind of boils down the multiplayer mechanics and is a bit more balanced would be interesting at least.

Not necessarily set in the Souls universe either, but the same dark medieval motif.
>>
>>329588367
It's both. There's a lot more tracking than in 1 but it's surmountable.
>>
>>329587386
/thread
>>
>>329588373
how?
ds2 was good you autism..
>>
>>329587864
>Its essentially just more of the same set in a different world.
>retarded enemy placement and incoherent level design
>agility and adaptability
>soul memory
>removed kicking
>animations are floaty
>uinspired boss and enemy design
>hitboxes are probably the worst of any of the games
It's by FAR the worst Souls game
>>
File: 1452330328896.png (12 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1452330328896.png
12 KB, 645x773
>>329586929
They should make a new King's Field.
>>
>>329588409

They reused AC stuff too for Metal Wolf Chaos so yeah.
>>
>>329587864

>Magnetic Tracking
>Turret-Like Pivoting
>Vacuum Grab Attacks
>Hit Box Issues
>Horrible World Design
>Rehashed Bosses from DaS1
>No Red-eye Orb
>Too many Covenants, most of which are useless.
>Adaptability
>Roll animation not changing with weight.
>NO KICK
>etc.....

I could go on forever.
>>
>>329588367
Is this a meme? Enemies in Dark Souls 1 did the exact same thing. Does /v/ really hate Dark Souls 2 so much they'd make up lies and say Dark Souls 1 didn't have the same exact tracking BS?
>>
>>329586929
If
>changing setting constantly, not just dark fantasy
>not connection between games, everything has it's own lore and story
>always doing new things and changing up the formula somehow
Basically what Bloodborne did
>>
File: 1456622910556.jpg (95 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1456622910556.jpg
95 KB, 900x900
>>329586929
Something my friends and I concluded during Dark Souls 2 is that the game could make an excellent pseudo MMO.

The game lets you organize pvp pretty much constantly, you can almost always recruit people for PvE, and the top notch DLC made us realize we just wanted new dungeons to delve.

Imagine if three or four times a year, From added new zones akin to the Crown DLCs to the base game. Maybe add some new little secrets to the base game, but overall focus on new zones.

Players would keep playing, getting new incentives to build different kinds of characters, getting new items, keeping PvP alive.

Dark Souls 2 would have been an amazing MMO-lite experience.
>>
>>329588367

The tracking is magnetic and all enemies were turrets in their previous lives.
>>
>>329589051
It's more that the tracking in 2 is a lot stronger, and enemies turn a lot faster and for longer and even during the animation. Think tracking like Havel where you'd be behind him and he'd swing and pivot to face you super quickly
>>
If souls copycat games actually tried then yeas i wouldnt mind at all
>>
I wouldn't mind a couple more so long as they're not reminiscent of DaS2. As much as I enjoy the combat itself I really dig just exploring the settings they've created for their games.
>>
>>329589051

Not trying to be a dick here, but you'd have to be blind to not see the difference.

Bloodborne only had a few moments of this bullshit, Daughter of The Cosmos and Undead Giants come to mind.
>>
>>329588931
>ds2 was good you autism..
>>
>>329588960
First person games are shit
>>
File: 1456658608464.png (1022 KB, 887x1438) Image search: [Google]
1456658608464.png
1022 KB, 887x1438
>>329586929
I would, if the quality stayed more or less constant, like in Zelda games.

But with that piece of shit that DaSII was, FROM clearly cant pull it off.
>>
>>329589325
Fuck that kind of business model
It's exactly what modern games are trying to drive and it's fucking shit.
Also partially why MMOs are so awful
>>
>>329586929
To put it frankly, no.
A yearly release means that it becomes formulaic. When that happens if I want to play _souls I can literally just pick up any other game in the series and have an extremely similair experience. Fuck that noise.
>>
>>329589730
why are you quoting me gayboy
>>
>>329586929
Every 2 or 3 years would be best.
>>
>>329587386
you forgot Bloodborne, you retard
>>
>>329590292
>Bloodborne
>Souls game
nice meme
>>
No, I want another (good) Armored Core now.
>>
File: Reach_ForgeworldObjects[1].jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Reach_ForgeworldObjects[1].jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>329589325
>>329589919
>FROM will never release a scenario/map creator based off their chalice dungeon tech
They've already got all the enemies items and other junk just toss in some basic structural assets, foliage and a few tilesets.
>>
>>329588139
Did you reply to the wrong post, or are you having a stroke?
>>
>>329586929
>but these games have a ton of replay value
If that's the case then wouldn't it be better to have them released every 2 or 3 years so we can get our time out of the game before the next one comes out.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.