[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we discuss Baten Kaitos: Origins?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: Baten_Kaitos_Origins_box.jpg (44 KB, 363x500) Image search: [Google]
Baten_Kaitos_Origins_box.jpg
44 KB, 363x500
Can we discuss Baten Kaitos: Origins?
>>
never played it
I have the ISO on deck for when I finish skies of arcadia for the millionth time.
>>
Is it as good as the game its a prequel to?

Obviously exempting the voice acting because holy crap
>>
Evidently not.

Sorry anon, /v/ is too young for RPGs now.
>>
Pit-clone Kalas for smash
>>
>>329585083
Baten Kaitos for Wiiu when?
>>
>>329585083
Never played Origins, but I owned the original.

I really do miss pre-rendered backgrounds in JRPGs. Reminds me of a simpler time.
>>
>>329585083
Never played Origins, and I've only played a little bit of the first game. It was neat, but it always manages to lose my interest
>>
>>329585205

Playing skies of Arcadia. My nigga
>>
>some guy finally went through the painstaking process of undubbing it

AYYY

Shame the MC doesnt have a baller cape like Kalas
>>
>>329585991

It has a better/faster battle system and better voice-acting.

Aside from that it's a bit worse in pretty much every aspect, but still good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWHuIFxT19Q
>>
>>329585083

I played the first but I've never even seen a physical copy of this game.

As a fan of lost Kingdom these games are pretty nice.
>>
The generic no effort Sakuraba soundtrack kills it for me. That unimaginative hack should be banned from composing on electric organs for life.
>>
>>329585991
the card battling is streamlined but for the better though you may disagree
but everything else is improved for sure and with a twist you don't actually see coming from a mile away
>>
>>329585991
There's this weird tendency among fans to act as if the first game is better because of muh plot twist, but I personally would call the first game mediocre and Origins one of the best RPG's ever made.

And yes, the voice work is much improved. I's been several years since I finished it, and I still care about those characters just because they're just so likable.
>>
I loved the first Baten Kaitos but I couldn't enjoy Origins at all. The battle system felt like shit to me, literally just nothing but counting upwards.

I don't know if there were some hidden depths to the combat I was missing or something, because I don't see what people liked about it.
>>
>>329586449
It had effort the first time around when it appeared on various other games
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (48 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
48 KB, 1280x720
>>329585205
>>329586269
sup senpai
Just beat belleza, cant wait for pic related

>>329585083
Havent played either, how long is the game and how fun is the card combat?
>>
>>329586635
No it didn't he used the same style in Star Ocean then in Valkyrie Profile and then in everything else that had any dynamic music. The guy is a hack when he composes on electric organs. Take them away from him and he suddenly has some creativity.
>>
Never played Origins, but I should really restart the original soon. Never made it past Giacomo on the airship when I was younger, wonder if I could now
>>
>>329586858
I'm saying the music literally is copy pasted from other games
I know there's one or two tracks straight from Tales of the Abyss
>>
>>329586364
I found it to be better in every aspect.

THe only thing I missed from the first one is that in Origins the battle cards don't age, and I found that mechanic neat.
>>
>>329585083
Never played it. Looked one step too far removed from the first game. Which was up and down for me - it had the only RPG battle system that made me seek out battles for entertainment, but cringe voice acting and meh plot. Pretty pre-rendered backgrounds though.
>>
>>329586696
The game took me about 40 hours, and I'd say it has the most fun battle system in any RPG.
>>
>>329586405
I actually have a physical copy I got years ago. Can't provide a pic since I'm on my way home from work
>>
>>329585083
> FEELIN GAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B64f48ewdo
>>
>>329585083
mediocre game in a mediocre series that got recognition because the gamecube didn't have much to offer in the genre.
>>
File: rage.jpg (15 KB, 221x228) Image search: [Google]
rage.jpg
15 KB, 221x228
>>329585083
>years ago sister borrows gamecube and a bunch of games i had including the original baten kaitos game
>couple days later ask for it back as i want to play it
>she fucking sold it
>mfw
now this shit is worth fucking dick loads. i will never not be mad
>>
>>329586858

mario golf 64 and baten kaitos are his best scores. don't care for anything else. mario golf particularly is pretty chill and classy compared to the progressive, random dissonance in just about all his other music
>>
>>329587071
Sakuraba always reuses his songs. It's a little disconcerting to hear the same songs in Tales, Baten Kaitos, Star Ocean, and then fucking Smash Bros of all things.

But he also gave us this from BKO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz-jFRuvA2o
>>
File: 1451702873182.png (32 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1451702873182.png
32 KB, 645x773
>>329585083

I want to play videogames, but I feel guilty everytime I do and I just can't enjoy it.
>>
>>329585083
Never played the original, just Origins. I liked it, though I hear that the deck and battle system are vastly inferior to the first game.

On another note, I wanted to repurchase this game and was on Amazon the other day pricing it, and holy shit it's gotten expensive. I bought a like new copy 2 years ago for 15 bucks, and now you can't even get an incomplete set of discs for less than 40 dollars.
>>
File: 1454728977466.gif (2 MB, 366x360) Image search: [Google]
1454728977466.gif
2 MB, 366x360
I didn't play the original, but I liked the game a lot. The areas felt really unique and the combat was okay. Plus, the game's pretty long.

>>329588510
>40 dollars.
Really? Whew.

I still have my copy as if it was the first day I bought it. With a pile of dust on it.
>>
>>329588510
>I hear that the deck and battle system are vastly inferior to the first game.
What? Who told you this lie?
>>
>>329588510
It was one of the very last GC games to ever come over here.

But least at least Origins isn't like Gotcha force or Cubivore in terms of price hoo boy.
>>
>>329589335
>Gotcha force

Jesus, I always kicked myself for selling that. Managed to get it in an ebay auction for $105 a few months ago, but it unfortunately didn't have its manual.
>>
>>329589173
As far as characters and story goes, i felt it was pretty strong in those areas. They gave a lot of attention to detail, and I really enjoyed the card battle system, and the combos were very satisfying to pull off. Especially once you had all of the specials, and you made an attempt at using them all in one turn in a 80+ combo attack. Gotta love that final boss music too.
>>
>>329589717
I got my copy for around 30 bucks sometime ago. This was before it spiked like crazy.
>>
File: 1453501788400.jpg (26 KB, 215x365) Image search: [Google]
1453501788400.jpg
26 KB, 215x365
>>329586578
I feel the same way.
>>
>>329586578
Different combinations of A and B attacks would change the propierties of the especial attacks after them.
>>
>>329588510
The battle system is one of the best improvement.
The fights now feel fast and you can chain attacks from your 3 character, it's awesome.

Origins is a great game and I'd have a hard time to decide which is the best of the two games.
I really like the soundtrack, environments and overal atmosphere of the first, but the plot and battle system is better in origins.

Origins also had at some point one of the most brilliant chain of events, a crazy rollercoaster of feels.
Heavy spoilers:
>Get to the point when you killed a bunch of those weird monster.
>Back to the capital there's some shit happening
>MC's mom is here surrounded by guards
>It's so out of the blue you can't help to wonder what the fuck is going on, same for the MC
>They start to fucking pull out her wings
>You can feel the rage in both you and MC
>He turns in one of those damn monsters
>It was a trap, get rekt
>Next scene MC is chained in some dark place and can only talk to you
>Still shocked as hell by what happens
>The talk gets very personnal and touching, and the music is getting intense
>You have to pick a choice, if it's the wrong Game Over for you
>Now it's time to fucking kick the ass of the ashole who set you up
>Wreck shit in the base until you find him
>Fight is intense as fuck, transformations and shit
>You fucking murder him
>Feel good as fuck but then you realize her daughter saw everything
>And it's a goddamn 6 year old Savyna
>Feels fucking bad suddenly

What a great game, and that's just one example.
>>
>>329590397
Needing to remember a combo and using it over and over is not idea of a fun or engaging battle system.
>>
>>329591590
>needing to remember a combo

What? Are you a fucking moron or something? You don't need combos and it's not exactly difficult to remember them either.
>>
>>329591590
There are just 3 cards to choose before the special attacks, its not hard.
Also the original was basically either pair numbers for bonus damage/heal or chose free for no bonus.
>>
>tfw at some point in my life I genuinely expected an announcement for Baten Kaitos 3
I would still flip my shit, but what are the odds.
>>
you guys DID get pac-man by feeding him every possible magnus, did you not?

it's abysmally tedious as a sidequest, but you can't argue with the reward (all hits turn into crits). I guess they overcompensated a little bit here since it turns the game into an absolute cakewalk
>>
I played and beaten the firts Baten Kaitos. Great game.

I also played Origins but haven't finished it(got to the last dungeon). Still a fantastic game though.
>>
Serious question.
How the hell are you supposed to take the CD out of the case without breaking it.
One of the 2 is really hard to pull off.
I'm so scared of breaking it I never put it back in its case.
>>
>>329585205
ive had SoA for a few years, it kinda bores me, but im trying to give it time. seems really basic for combat ans story, been playing RPG's since the NES days so i think its more of a "i've already seen this plot before or played a better RPG than this" setting in my head.
>>
Baten Kaitos or Lost Kingdoms tho?
>>
>>329593038
Weird, this happend to me too, I though it was just defective or something.
I actually changed the Original BK box with the Origins onne because the Original disc fit better on Origins box for some reason.
Also I'm european and that's the only GC game I imported. I though those wuere normal American boxes or something.
>>
>>329593634
Funny I'm also yuropean, but I imported other games and had no issues.
I saw this complain once on a forum so I'm pretty sure that's a default for all the games.
Or maybe that's how their 2 CD gamecube games are, but that would be weird.

It was bullshit that we never got it. I had to wait until 2012 to play it.
>>
>>329594008
>a default
a defect*
>>
>>329586138
>Pit-clone
Please no.
Mii-gunner clone Lyude or Ness clone Xhela
>>
>>329585083
I always found this game's soundtrack to be far better than any other RPG from that generation. The battle theme is just too good.
>>
File: holoholo bird.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
holoholo bird.jpg
91 KB, 1280x720
I enjoyed both, but I'd have to say I prefer the first overall, especially now that I've got an undub. The "disc change" boss in Origins was insufferably bad and potentially game-ending.

Origins has really good voice-acting, but the first BK has probably Sakuraba's best soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWbhB1iMjB0
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.