[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is localization like this allowed? I'm so sick of this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
File: image.png (7 KB, 512x448) Image search: [Google]
image.png
7 KB, 512x448
Why is localization like this allowed? I'm so sick of this meme shit and censorship.
>>
File: image.png (165 KB, 320x279) Image search: [Google]
image.png
165 KB, 320x279
They completely changed his dialogue and added this thee and thou crap. This is so inaccurate.
>>
File: 1456794850161.png (46 KB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
1456794850161.png
46 KB, 1200x1000
FFVI has a more accurate fan translation.
>>
File: image.png (80 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
80 KB, 480x640
Eliwood is completely different in America. He's supposed to be mild mannered and doubtful. Did Nintendo even read the original script?
>>
>>329533608

That one actually was poorly done. Aside from fucking up his character, Woolsey didn't even get the Middle English right.
>>
>>329533608
>mfw the DS translation took out all the charm
I mean it made some stuff better by making it serious, but I'm still mad they changed
>but you're still hungry
>>
>>329534829
What did they change it to?
>>
>It was bad in the past so it's fine for it to be bad now
I love this meme.
>>
>>329534896

Normal speech.
>>
>>329534935
"but you're still hungry" sounds pretty normal to me
>>
>>329533530
Because plain Jap->Eng is bland as fuck and awkward and normal people like at least some level of natural sounding English and character in the things they read.
>>
>>329534898

>missing the point entirely
>>
>>329533840

Also Lyn was supposed to be a slut that fucked every guy in the party and some of the girls
>>
Why are people who complain about translations always extremely autistic?
>>
>>329534978

I thought you were asking about Frog's speech patterns.
>>
>>329535047

>tfw you will never, ever be a nigger nogger so you can boeope st eisert?

WUIHUT iu fhju
]
seriously shut hte fUFK UP UYOU FCIUK

trump 2-15
>>
File: believe in me.png (245 KB, 424x320) Image search: [Google]
believe in me.png
245 KB, 424x320
WOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW
>>
>>329535181
You're trying to make an epic screenshot post, but it's not going to work.
>>
>>329533530
is this a new meme?
>>
>>329533840
I never understood why this picture is considered silly. It's obvious they have hoods on the robes, so they will conceal their faces when they enter the city.
>>
>>329535181
Ah, you play Chinese bootlegs, it seems.
>>
>>329533530
Again blame Nintendo.
>>
>>329533530
Don't kid yourself fag. Today's garbage has turned that into a novelty at this point.
>>
>>329534896
They changed it to "but you're still just as hungry as before", because apparently blunt humor wasn't kosher.
>>
>>329535263
Not sure if bait or not.
Either way that's a fan translation.
>>
>No way of knowing what the original was like before
>"B-B-But why didn't nobody complain before?"

This is why you don't have a girlfriend.
>>
>>329534718
I don't think you know what Middle English is.
>>
File: dragon-port.jpg (121 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
dragon-port.jpg
121 KB, 800x640
>>329537421

Well it's certainly not Old English.
>>
File: middle.jpg (144 KB, 362x513) Image search: [Google]
middle.jpg
144 KB, 362x513
>>329537584
>>
>>329536880

The original scripts of these things have been available forever
>>
>>329535263
You do know AA has pop culture references in the Japanese version right?
>>
>>329537904
And they weren't available to compare when the games first came out. And /v/ didn't exist when the games first came out.

But no, the only reason people are complaining about shitty localizations now is because it's Nintendo obviously, and not because more information is freely available and there's a platform to discuss it on.
>>
>>329538359
Woolsey produced good localizations. What you're asking for is minimal localization or literal translations with the wildly misguided belief that those somehow lead to a product that is true to the original.
>>
>>329537904
They weren't available in 1994 and most people didn't have internet back then
>>
>>329538687
>The only possible options are completely literal translations or making up random shit
I love this meme.
>>
File: the fuck23.png (11 KB, 502x414) Image search: [Google]
the fuck23.png
11 KB, 502x414
>>329538687
>Woolsey produced good localizations.
>>
>>329538798
You lose half the meaning and cultural context going from Japanese to English to begin with. At that point you can either just tidy up the grammar and structure of what you've got and leave the script neutered, or you can make up a bunch of culturally appropriate shit to fill in the blanks you left when you translated it.
>>
>>329539026
Explain to me what culture son of a submariner is appropriate to.

Or more recently, explain to me what culture le pickle man is appropriate to.
>>
>>329538973

Not that guy, but some of the stuff he did was good. Kefka's self-help booklet line for one is infinitely more memorable than his Japanese line which was a throw-away angry comment. He also fucked up a lot too (though every translator can and does make mistakes, especially when pressed for time as he was), and he made some dumb decisions too (Frog's speech style, the pre-Magus fight scene in his castle, among many others).

>>329539026

Yeah, you have to make changes when translating if you want it to be good, but it's possible to maintain a high level of accuracy (usually) while changing things as needed to sound better/make sense in the target language. It's not really as all or nothing as you make it sound, there is a happy medium. But you are right about one thing, a 1:1 translation of anything is impossible, people who was literal... literal translations should just learn Japanese.
>>
Alundra is a case where the localization was both bad and good. It added some much needed humor and the dialogue was good, the puzzle clues were well written, but the tone of the game was fucked up a little. They added pop culture references and even made one of the characters into a surfer bro stereotype, which is kind of cool BUT the original Japanese dialogue is apparently way darker. In a game with a story as dark as Alundras, I just wish I knew exactly what the characters were saying as all this bad shit happens to them, without a light hearted, goofy veil over everything
>>
>>329535031

Not that guy, but that's EXACTLY the point you faggots have been trying to make over and over. And it's a shitty point. Just because people are just now waking up to a problem doesn't mean the problem is invalid. It's a shitty appeal to hypocrisy, you care more about mocking others for being inconsistent than you do about actually solving the problem. Newsflash: EVERYONE is a hypocrite about something. It doesn't matter.
>>
>>329539246
>Explain to me what culture son of a submariner is appropriate to.
It's called a minced oath and they're very common in English. It's also humor.
>>
I'll tell you one thing, Ozzy, Flea and Slash are way better names than Mayonnaise, Ketchup and Soy Sauce or whatever the hell they were called.
>>
>>329539736

I thought the same thing until I played Chrono Trigger in Japanese. Not sure why, I guess food names and puns just fit Japanese things so much better, especially things with an Akira Toriyama artstyle.
>>
>>329539736

By the way, it was Vinegar, not Ketchup.
>>
>>329537584
I miss Old English.
>>
>>329533530
Woolsey translations had a lot of character. I don't think most of you kids realize he was extremely limited by cartridge space. It's not his fault he had to fit the English script into the Japanese script's size, when uncompressed English text is typically 2-3x larger when carrying the same semantic value
>>
>>329540007

Dude was also only a college student and was working under very strict time limits and Nintendo's censorship. Look at his translations vs FFIV and FFVII. Woolsey did a fantastic job compared to the other stuff being pumped out in his era.
>>
>>329539813
(not that guy)
Nah I love Dragon Ball and AT but Ozzie,Flea and Slash were better names...especially Flea that was a hilarious name when you think about it...Woolsey must have really hated the Chili Peppers hahaha
>>
>>329540193
He's also the guy who is responsible for "Marbl3" in Breath of Fire I I love that name
>>
>>329540905

The character limits in BoF were insanely small, there was nothing to be done.
>>
>they hunt Kefka through the dessert
>"Kefka, wait!"
>"Wait?! Why should I wait? I'm not a waiter!"

dob geg
>>
>>329533530
It's funny how people keep bringing up Woolsey in an attempt to justify Treehouse. If they had existed back then the line would be a meme from 2008, not something unique and fitting to the game's tone.
>>
>>329541342
Read the spoiler
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.