[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guild wars 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7
File: gw2-logo.1600230148.jpg (19 KB, 290x200) Image search: [Google]
gw2-logo.1600230148.jpg
19 KB, 290x200
So I recently started playing for free and this game is great and I'm loving it so far and thinking about buying it, what does /v/ think about guild wars 2?
>>
Same as you, decided to buy it.
Never played again.
>>
The expansion killed any desire I had to play. Unbalanced the PvP even more so, and added more tedious shitty PvE grinding. All I played was the PvP and they made it even worse.
Leave while you still can, it's not worth investing into.
>>
>>329514379
2 questions. Are you a casual gamer? And have you played a lot of mmos? Those will directly affect your enjoyment. It's a really good casual mmo if you are new to the genre or are a normie. Also it's pretty fun exploring and doing jumping puzzles.

otherwise I found the lack of a trinity (or a replacement for it) and the skill/talent systems to be fucking retarded and extremely boring. Pvp wasn't even fun, and I felt like I'd seen most everything the game had to offer by level 40.

Should never have been named Guild Wars, would have been a much better game.
>>
File: 1427091117706.jpg (2 MB, 3150x2910) Image search: [Google]
1427091117706.jpg
2 MB, 3150x2910
>>329514379
Here's a quick glance
>>
>>329514379
It's shit.
>>
>>329514994
I don't play alot of different mmo's but I've been playing wow since BC and am maxed out on 5 different classes in both PvP and PvE currently yet I'll probably stop playing if legion isn't good which is why I've been trying a few new ones and Guild wars is the first one I could play for more than an hour without getting bored.
>>
They'll do lesbians and trannies but not make human on female charr so fuck them
>>
it's abysmal, especially compared to the first
the only good you'll get out of it is slut dress up, like a bunch of other shit mmos
>>
>>329514379
Everyone who played the first hates it
>>
>>329516114
I actually did play the original when it first came out put I barely played and I lost my old account so I needed to make a new one.
>>
Best MMO on the market until you hit 80. The gameplay is a lot more fun than most other MMOs, but theres a serious lack in end game content. Its fun for awhile, but once you have the tmogs you want from running dungeons, and the gear sets for different builds, theres nothing to do, a part from hardcore grinding for more tmogs.

It has massively improved since launch after they got rid of the zerker meta, where only 1 gear set was viable for literally every class. Plus the raids are pretty good, but thats only part of the expansion.
>>
>>329515508
Buy it then, I personally hate it from my wealth of experience and lofty expectations. If you are realistic about how much time you'll spend on GW2, which is casual, then you'll love it.
Anything more reveals the game was never designed that way, and filled with sham marketing, also don't expect plot in your mmorpg, or outfitting.
Late game is WvWvW so I don't know if they've created battle rewards that aren't outfits, customization is useless since the best are purchasable. They killed their game with cash shop and poor auction house.
>>
Also keep in mind nothing is substantial end game, don't bother playing this game to get a rare looking weapon or Legendary, there is literally no point since the majority just played Auction House to achieve it, and there is nothing to do at the end, since WvWvW is moving as a blob, game lacks huge design flaws, but fun platforming though.
>>
>>329514379
I own all the originals with the full boxes in almost mint condition and I still prefer GW2.
>>
>>329517029
Well I do too except they're not mint and I played GW1 for literally months of hours and GW2 for only days.

Here's a helpful chart

GW1>>>>>>>>>>>>GW2>=all other MMOs = literally shit
>>
guild wars 2 is the blandest most unfun online action rpg ive played, and i played diablo 3 at launch. please stop trying to meme it into being a good game its not gonna happen.
>>
You guys remember the screenshot of th guy proclaiming eternal hate for ME3? I feel that way towards GW2
They took something I held truly dear to my heart, maybe even loved in some way, and turned it into shit. Seriously, I have played GW1 since like 2006, and have many, many fond memories of that game. The feeling of exploration, of learning new things, of progress were all amazing. And the sense of accomplishment when I have finished the campaigns, or the titles way later. Anet shat on it all with their disgusting money grabbing content lacking abomination of a game called GW2. I hate it, and hate the fact that I bought it.
>>
>>329514379
really enjoy playing it.
i'm almost done with the main quest, all I do is PvP and RP with my guild. Surprisingly enough, the community is pretty fucking great. Especially if you're into RP-ing. hmu in game if you want to play or something.
Tuna.1789
>>
>>329518513
also, for some reason /v/ hates fun, and they find every reason to hate video games and ruin them for others.
So any real negativity is some bullshit shill reason for not enjoying the game. I.e politics.
i fucking hate SJW's, and they don't even write characters that are shitty nor do you see any type of shilling in game.
>>
>>329518861
>So any real negativity is some bullshit shill reason for not enjoying the game. I.e politics.
what does "this game is worse than the first one" have to do with politics?
>>
>>329518513
Community is shit.
Rp is limited to taverns and cliques
PvP is an imbalanced clusterfuck full of shit talking kids who are bad at the game. No, even the good ones talk shit. Fucking Tarcus got on his necro and started shit talking after getting spawn camped. Everyone called him out on his BS later.
>"I..I was just trolling guys hahaha"

Nigga the community is a heaping pile of shit.

The game an even bigger pile.

Why I log on? I dont know. Its like watching a child you had hopes for fail special ed and drown in a small puddle.
>>
Leveling to 80 and exploring the world is fantastic. End game is alright but won't keep you around for very long. PvP is sadly one of the weakest points of the game.

The game does a lot of small things right and improves on the MMO formula but fails to be the next 'big step' it was hyped up to be.
>>
>>329518861
No, it's a matter of taste.
Game panders to the casual formula in a renovated theme park, yet they fuck up on the story and customization
They went backwards on what GW1 formulated to make it a different mmo offering from the market
They under delivered game innovation, but they achieved A+ on environment, B- on aesthetic and F on lore.
>>
>>329514379
after leaving eq2 before it crashed and burned and after really enjoying swtor story and hating everything else about the game I arrived at guild wars 2. Two days later myself and the rest of my guild reached level 80 and stopped playing combat is boring teamwork is lacking, story is boring for me. The community is a mixed bag like most mmorpgs on the market, The biggest flaw is combat being mildly boring for all classes and the lack of anything else to really do.
>>
>>329519050
>taverns and cliques
nigga what world you on?
i see open world shit all the time.
shit the guild i'm in HOSTS events like this shit all the time.
>>329519012
and then there's the babbies crying about how the first will always be better than the second.
>>
>>329519382
not that anon, but objectively, the first one is better than second
it's simply more polished, better developed and more balanced title that did not limit the player to using 30~ something skills but actually ecnouraged creativity and innovation, while being balanced. Why would you downgrade from that?
>>
I have this weird urge to reinstall it and play my ranger or guardian, are they still decent classes?
>>
File: gw243.jpg (564 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gw243.jpg
564 KB, 1920x1080
>>329519382
Im on fucking TC and all I see a desperate erpers trying to fuck each other in Taverns.

I rarely see open world rp bar TCRP events even then I stick to the sidelines. Perhaps its hidden away.

I usually stay in HotM anyway for ESPATZ but I have no drive to compete this season for being cucked out of Legendary by mere pips. Just watching this degenerate community cry about bunkers/support and how it will never be zerk vs zerk.
>>
>>329519382
Guild Wars 1 had a lot of faults, but everything that was good about it, didn't carry over to the 2nd.
GW2 should of been a different game.
The new Anet developers gutted the successes of it's predecessor to deliver a new experience that was different way to experience, but it was still the same thing.
What was worst is that the game engine was incapable of handling minions, 2 classes were effectively nerfed and broken by their design.

GW2 just created a hollow world, it wasn't an adventure.
>>
>>329519924
decent as in bottom tier.
>>
>>329514379
I guess it might be ok if you've never played the original

No joke this is the most disappointing game i've ever played
>>
>>329520052
is it true that necros in GW2 just have no abilities that rely on corpses?
>>
GW2 should've been more GW1.

What we got wasn't awful, but it starts off strong and then falls off so hard. The game's core design is flawed, and there's really nothing they can do to fix it. Very literally variety in playstyles or content.
>>
>>329514379
I played it for a little while. Most likely will never get back into it seeing as they're charging $60 for a $20 expansion
>>
>>329520061

What's top tier? the new meme class and warriors still?
>>
>>329520061
>bottom tier
>dragonhunter ranked Meta in PvP
>Med DPS ranked good
oh ok
>>
>>329519924
Ranger has never been a decent class. Only in PvP it had some bunker build, but they were useless in pve and WvW.
>>
>>329520202
yeah devs tried in raids but everyone just ends up full berserker like always
>>
File: hmmm.png (19 KB, 717x427) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.png
19 KB, 717x427
Is this list accurate?
>>
>>329520950
aren't A-D supposed to represent burger grading in schools, why is S at the top
>>
>>329520950
wait where the fuck are the classes from factions and nightfall? why'd they get rid of them?
>>
>>329520950
Not for sPvP.
>>
Hope you like buying cosmetic wings from the cash store.
>>
>>329521172
no cantha or elona=no cool classes for you
>>
>>329521172

the GW2 has pretty much disowned everything form GW1.

The Temple of Ages is literally at the bottom of some shitty pond in a starting zone.
>>
>>329521172
thief and revenant are basically shitty version of factions classes
>>
>>329518861
The game is hated for a good reason, namely doing shit that make the game worse and worse. Instead of telling a story about dragons, it turns into a story about sylvari and their tumblr ways, and they did it right in your fucking face. With each update, the game get progressively worse and about two times, they try to pander the causal fags with the NGE and the Chinese release. WvW was constantly ignore, rewards for dungeoning was nerf to death, twice, Fractal became worse with both Fractal update that fuck up the rewards, and PvP? HA. There is so many wrong with this game that it will take too long to cover everything that made it shit.

>>329519382
Not him but Tarnished Coast was fill with with RPers for the first year. And then Anet started updating the game that made RPing harder and harder, like removing clothing options, wardrobe, and the fucking Megaserver. You can't RP without some faggot coming in and being LOLRANDOM and some bullshit like that.
>>
>>329514379

The game is fun, but doesn't have a ton of last appeal.

There are a few main incentives to do stuff.

First gold, which then falls under the other incentives in terms of why you want gold

>Stats
>Skins

The game has had one main stat, zerker, as the meta since release. We have 33 stat combinations, yet ~84% of the builds in PvE (fractals AND raids) and in WvW use zerker stats.

The game also has poor class design/skill design. Not only is it a cluster fuck on the screen, but also it doesn't produce any teamwork. You just run around near each other spamming rotations when they're off of cooldown.

Then of course you have downed state. One of the worse things to ever happen to MMO PvP.

However, the game has an amazing open world and a decent story line (for a MMO). You can probably get a good 500-1000 hours just off of vanilla alone.

WvW is decent but can be a cluster fuck and you never feel like you're doing anything on the personal level.
>>
>>329524346
>500 hours
Liar, I dropped it afer maxing 3 characters to 80, getting the best gear, doing all the dungeons and made it 200 hours
>>
>>329524543

So you got full ascended, played every dungeon path, and got 3 to level 80 within 200 hours?

Are all the 80s geared? Did you do fractals? Did you do WvW? Did you do sPvP? Did you do any collections/achievements? Did you do any open world content?

If you only got to 80, got exotic zerks, and then played each dungeon path; you barely scratched the surface of the game.

If you didn't, pics or it didn't happen. I want to see your /age and your gear as proof. No way in hell you can do all that in 200 hours.
>>
>>329524789
ascended? they added new tiers of stuff? I haven't touched the game since 3 months after it's been released. Maybe I should pick it up again
>>
>>329524789
>Did you do fractals? Did you do WvW? Did you do sPvP? Did you do any collections/achievements? Did you do any open world content?
All irrelevant shit

If it isnt part of the journey its padding for idiots to waste time on.
>>
File: Tyria_map_(clean).jpg (758 KB, 1229x1229) Image search: [Google]
Tyria_map_(clean).jpg
758 KB, 1229x1229
>>329524964

Yeah they added a lot. Ascended Gear, Fractals, Living Story Season 2, 3 new maps (southsun, dry top, and silverwastes), a new dungeon path (TA), revamped tequatl and shatterer, new world boss called three headed wurm, new sPvP game mode, replace WvW borderlands, and a lot of little stuff.

There's season 2 of the living story which you can buy by converting in game gold to gems or just buying it straight out.

Then you have tons of revamps, like with the trait system.

Then you have HoT which added a new trait line/weapon/skill set for each class, 4 new zones (each a large meta/world boss), new weapon/armor sets, top level fractals, mastery system, a new class, and of course Raids. Oh also guild halls, guild teams, and WvW/sPvP guild missions. And some cool upgrades for guilds in WvW.

Pic you can see in the Maguuma Jungle a bunch of new stuff in that area.
>>
>>329525164
>If it isnt part of the journey its padding for idiots to waste time on.

If this is the philosophy of how you judge MMOs, you're in the wrong genre.
>>
>>329525850
The gem store is really deterring me from buying because micro transactions for a game someone bought has always seemed real shitty to me, it's why I stopped playing destiny and payday 2.
>>
>>329521127
S is the highest rating for things in japan, it's why S scaling is the best in DS, don't know why someone would use it on this list though.
>>
>>329526483

Guild Wars 2 went f2p shortly before the release of HoT. However, everyone had to rebuy HoT. So now you can play all of vanilla for free (There are some anti bot/spam protection mechanisms that must be bypassed by leveling up).

In terms of HoT is worth the 50$ (or 60, don't remember) its up to you. HoT elite specs are pretty good and most meta builds use them. However in PvE and WvW, using vanilla builds is just as good and effective. sPvP its possible (someone posted about getting to the best season last spvp with a vanilla build).

PvE is where the most content is added. With HoT you get access to 4 maps which are pretty high in difficulty and offer some really challenging metas. You get access to raids, which a new wing is opening next tuesday. The main point of doing things said above is skins, stats, and achievements.

Cash shop is meh. I don't mind saving up some gold to buy the things. There's nothing really "good" in there except the skins.

Plus they allowed you to sell things on the TP now. Like you can buy some mail carriers and a lot of finishers from the TP now.
>>
shit skills
shit "quests"
shit story
shit post-story content
shit pvp
shit expansion

it's shit
all shit

I normally hate /v/ when you fags play up a game as objectively terrible but what they did to Guild Wars is just that. there's almost nothing they did right with this game.

they took an MMO that worked just as well for an individual as it did for a group of friends, an MMO that encouraged exploration and experimentation, an MMO that welcomed casuals and hardcore players in equal capacity;

and turned it into a grind fest.

FUCK

GUILD

WARS

I wanted to like it but goddammit they ruined it.
>>
>>329526804
>>329525850
Thanks for giving me real info on the game instead of throwing bias from personal experience at me.
I'm assuming these both are the same anon, if not than both are thanked.
>>
>>329514379

Just jack off to the female character models. The game itself is hardly worth paying for.

Stick with the free version at least - either max out whatever you can before buying it, or have your fun without having to spend any money at all.
>>
>>329528246
>real info on the game
He just liked the game more because he probably didn't play GW1.
Don't be an idiot who thinks that the only good opinions are ones that assume everything is decent.
>>
>>329526930
>shit skills
agreed. Wish they designed the skill system differently to encourage more fun/interesting play.

>shit "quests"
Meh, I think they're decent. Some are pretty fun. Hard to come by really good ones in MMOs.

>shit story
It has its up and downs. Like the first half of the personal story is good. The second half of living story is good. I think the HoT story line is really good.

>shit post-story content
Keeps things interesting. Though I would rather have an expansion every year.

>shit pvp
Again, it depends. The meta shifts and sometimes its good, sometimes its bad. My biggest issue is the cluster fuck of skills on the screen.

>shit expansion
I think its a good expansion, but I don't think it was worth 60$. If it had all of the season 2 content on top of it, then I would consider it worth it. HoT was a 30-40$ expansion.
>>
>>329528339

I didn't say the content was great. And I played Gw1 for 3 years. Get off your high horse, jesus you give us all a bad name.

The WvW borderlands were shit for WvW players and are dead.

Stronghold has been met with mixed responses.

The metas in the HoT zones are a hit and miss with more people not doing them then they area. Mainly because they're too hard for the shit rewards they give.

Tequatl and Shatterer were huge improvements over the previous incarnations

Three headed wurm is wayy to hard for the shitty rewards it gives.

TA path is too hard for the shit rewards it gives

Raids are too hard for the shit rewards. IF you don't like the skins, you have no reason to do them.

The meta is utter shit and has been a zerker meta for 3 god dam years. 33 stat combinations and we only mainly use 2-3 of them for the past 3 years. Pathetic.

The story is pretty meh to good, depending on the chapter.

Dry Top and Silverwastes are actually pretty fun, but grinding them for weeks caused them to lose appeal for me personally.

Elite specs do offer new ways to play classes, but are too powerful because they just make up for all the weaknesses the class had previously. They are also rehashes of other classes for the most part.

Southsun is fun, but dead. No reason to go there unless you want one of the useless 33 stats.

Fractals 50+ are shit for the rewards they give. If you don't want the back and shit, no reason to do it.

Guild halls are too god dam expensive.

I mean they added a lot of content since launch. I'd say the whole experience (excluding HoT) was a 7.5/10. I rate HoT 6/10.
>>
>>329528339
I don't, but most of these ass hats are just saying "gw1 iz superior becuz [insert generic mmo's aspect] wup changed and it's not the exact same game a 2nd time"
>>
>>329528850

There is "same exact game a second time" and then there is 'Game is related in name only". It's not wrong to expect at least some of what made the first game good to show up in the second game.
>>
File: gw1.png (35 KB, 464x58) Image search: [Google]
gw1.png
35 KB, 464x58
The word that always springs to mind when I think about GW2 is BETRAYAL. They removed everything good about the first one, replaced it with shallow garbage (the most grievous example of this sin is the completely neutered skill system), made a bunch of promises that were complete lies ("no more fetch quests!", giving us the heart system which is ENTIRELY fetch quests), and essentially turned the game into a generic themepark MMO.

I played it for about three weeks after release before quitting in disgust and sadness. I wasn't around when all the "look at how diverse we are" stuff started happening, although it sounds annoying and preachy. My main problem with it has always been that it wasn't a sequel to GW1, it was a completely different and vastly inferior game with the license painted on.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.