[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With the hype of DS, I decided to get in the spirit and undust
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art (1).jpg (53 KB, 256x330) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art (1).jpg
53 KB, 256x330
With the hype of DS, I decided to get in the spirit and undust this game. Never really played it since I got preoccupied with Xenoverse and Bayonetta.. Pretty fun, l'm leveling vitality, endurance, strength, and dexterity since I picked a warrior. Is magic required?
>>
I just want Onlyafro videos of it, or tenfey.

Dark souls was disappointing so anything after I won't buy unless it's 1$
>>
>>329497656
You can get away with not using magic if you're a knight or whatever. Always pack a bow and some arrows, though.
>>
>>329497806
I'm be sure to get some just in case. In game I'm assuming it's ruled by dexterity?
>>
>>329497656
You don't really need magic so you can get away with no leveling faith or intelligence. You may want to have some range options though, so get a bow for those instances.
>>
>>329498248
Should I use humanities? Also what's the point of reverse hollowing?
>>
>>329499145
Don't use your humanities unless you don't have any. The number at the top left corner is the humanity you have, spend that first if you have any.

Humanity serves two purposes:
1) you can spend humanity and kindle bonfires, so you get ten estus instead of five.

2) while human you can summon allies (either AI or other players) to help you. Be aware that while human you can also be invaded. Don't you dare be human in undead burg as that is a heavy area for invasions.

Also certain AI controlled invaders will only appear if you are human, and some of those drop special loot.

It's up to you if you want to play the whole game as hollow, really there is little punishment to being hollow in this game unlike Demon Souls or DaS2.
>>
Gonna hijack this thread.

I'm pretty fucking bad at video games and especially at this one. I somehow managed to get to Anor Londo, the place of many epic memes apparently.

I'm having a little bit of trouble and I kinda fucked up my character stats. I just NOW found out what kind of playstyle I like and suits me best. I love my Claymore and now have the Black Iron Set that I got in some hall.

But I'm slow as fuck and can't even use the shield that comes with it. I'll have to grind a lot of souls to set my character straight.

My questions is basically, where do I farm effectively?
>>
>>329498182
Yes, bows scale by dexterity. Some are heavy and require a bit of strength, too.

>>329499145
Reversing hollowing (ie restoring your humanity) will enable online play. You can summon other players, be summoned by others, invade other players and get invaded. This applies to NPC summons/invaders too. Being open to NPC invasions is usually a good thing since the invaders are relatively easy and drop nice stuff. Being open to player invasions, at least in DS1, is usually a bad thing since most of them are professional griefers with 1k+ hours played.

It also does a few other neat things like raising your curse resistance.

Humanities (as you probably know by now are used to restore humanity) are relatively rare so don't over-use them, especially if you keep dying a lot. They are very useful for kindling bonfires (which increases the number of estus flasks you get from that fire by 5).
>>
>>329500767
theres not many good spots to farm before Anor Londo except the painted world (cbf explaining how to get there just google it) you might be better off just changing your armour and using a shield you can actually carry, heavy shields also act differently to medium shields and your going to want to be pretty mobile fighting O&S so id suggest mixing and matching your armour so you can at least medium roll since you dont get any bonuses using a complete set of armour

also upgrade your claymore more at the giant blacksmith while your in Anor Londo
>>
>>329500996
You can summon npcs?
>>
>>329499145
besides enabling online play and summoning the more active humanity (up to 10) you have whilst human increases drop rates.

also boosts the damage of weapons with chaos enchantments and chaos blade using the same mechanic as the drop rate stat
>>
>>329500767
Depends on what areas you've found so far, and what your SL is. Unless they are giving you lots of problems, the Silver Knights in Anor Londo are fairly good for farming. Anor Londo is probably the most famous "git gud" moment in the game. Even if you *think* you've run up against a wall, the game actually expects to keep pushing.

If you haven't gotten to the part of Anor Londo with the knights yet, settle for the huge sentries. If those are too hard too, you would probably have to backtrack all the way to Darkroot Garden.
>>
>>329501549
Ok, I'll take that into consideration. I don't like how slow my character is with this armor at all.

There's something that's bothering me though, some people say that armors don't matter much and is just for appearance. Is that true? I mean, I DID see some people just walking around naked. Is it feasible to go through the game like this?

Also, why the giant blacksmith? Is it bad that I used Andre for everything?
>>
>>329502049
Well I can manage killing these dudes with 3 hits if I actually hit them.

I guess I'll look for these Silver Knights, thanks.
>>
Why do people do this to themselves? What's the point of playing a game like this if you try to absorb as many information beforehand?

Dark Souls is way better if you play it blindly, if you fuck up, well too bad, you either be a man and keep going, or restart the game. Seriously, just play it the way it was supposed to be played.
>>
>>329501641
only on some bosses some summon signs are a little hidden but most are just next to the fog gate
>>
>>329501641
Yes, at some locations in the game, mostly right before bosses (provided that the boss hasn't been defeated yet, and that you are in human form). Many of them make the bosses much easier, some (including me) would argue that using them is against the "git gud" religion.
>>
>>329500767
Since your in An or London the Painted World is ideal for farming. In fact its the best place in the whole game. Problem is, to farm effectively there you need to run the whole area first, and its pretty difficult. Once you open the big door, you can just keep killing the slug creatures and running back to the bonfire every real quick to make them respawn. They give 800 souls a pop, there's at least 15 of them all bunched up in a small area, and they're easy as fuck to kill.
>>
>>329502126
Your equipment load depends on your endurance, you can also use the ring of favor and protection and havel's ring to increase it.
Armor is pretty useful mostly because of the poise it provides but don't understimate physical armor and resistances.
>>
>>329502401
Some people are just bad at RPG stuff, searching for explanations for what stats do ain't bad.
>>
>>329502670
>>329502764
Alright thanks for the help guys, gonna try to get those rings and farm a little bit. The game is really good.
>>
>>329502401
>Le blind play through meme

Let's get real, we all looked stuff up. Some more than others, but we all did it if we got stuck or wanted to find something out. Part of the fun is coming on /v/ and exchanging information and giving advice to others.
>>
>>329502126
the giant blacksmith can just upgrade your items further than Andre can once youve upgraded them with Andre.

You can do the game naked i actually found some bosses are easier naked like Kalameet.

And the thing about 'armour doesnt matter' it does and doesnt like light armour you can dodge faster but if you get hit you take more damage, but with heavier armour the opposite obviously.

Try raising your END to change your weight limit with armour but youll need ALOT to be able to medium roll in the black metal armour so youd be better off ditching some parts of the armour and replacing it with others so you can medium roll
>>
>>329497656
there is a late part of the game in which you cant see shit, and need either a shield-torch that is terrible as a shield, or a spell that casts light.
but you can get in another late part of the game a helm that shines and has the same effect, so leave that dark last part of the game for last.
if you get that helm, which can always be gotten, you dont need to invest in intelligence or attunement.
>>
>>329503005
If you do the painted world and the undead asylum you should be around level 60 by now, wich is more than enough for beating O & S if you know what you are doing.
Also, usually upgrading your gear is more useful than leveling up.
>>
>>329503016

No, the whole game is about exploring and finding out what shit does, it's the most important point of the game. It's like reading, learning and memorizing everything about a class you are going to take, there's no point to it.
>>
Another important thing to note is that normally, you can only kindle bonfires from their standard 5 estus charges to 10 (so, once), but once you get a certain item from defeating a certain boss they can be kindled to hold up to 20 charges, so it's not wrong to save up humanities. You don't need to kindle every bonfire there is either, as some are really close together, and once you're in the second half of the game, you can warp between most major bonfires.

Another thing about humanities: sometimes your humanity counter will have humanities despite you not using any from your item menu. This comes from defeating a lot of enemies in the same area.

That being said, magic can help, but you can beat the game without it just fine, although i found that in my second playthrough of the game, where i was a mage (my first character was a heavy armored greatsword user, somehow beat the game with a +5 Black Knight Sword) there were some things that were easier. If you pump your intelligence all the way up your spells will be doing amazing damage, plus you can upgrade your weapon along the magic ot enchanted path at the blacksmith in New Londo. In fact any weapon can be forged into almost every path, Look up scalings on weapons, most of the time they tell you on which kind of a build a certain weapon should be used. if a weapon has a high scaling (B, A, or even S) with strength for example, then that weapon is excellent for high strength characters. But don't let low scalings turn you off too much. I got through my second playthrough of the game with just an enchanted longsword as my main weapon, plus my magic of course.

But like i said, magic is no neccessity. In fact i found it made some things almost too easy. Hacking away at things with a greatsword is just as fun as slicing shit to pieces with a katana or being a badass with a rapier. Experiment, find your playstyle, and don't forget that upgrading your gear is just as, if not more important than your level.
>>
File: Thatpic.jpg (258 KB, 746x746) Image search: [Google]
Thatpic.jpg
258 KB, 746x746
>>329502401
There are some design choices in Dark Souls that are very opaque to the player, and a couple mechanics that aren't explained at all. I totally agree that you should play the Souls games blind, at least when it comes to the story and exploration, but getting punished by the mechanics is not what I consider a good, blind experience.

Worry not though, there's the famous pic related.
>>
>>329503491
Yeah but theres stuff everyone should know that the game doesn't explain.
>Rolling makes you invincible for a little bit
>Wearing heavy armor reduces stamina regen
>Stats softcap at certain values
>Resistance is useless
>>
>>329503732

>There are some design choices in Dark Souls that are very opaque to the player, and a couple mechanics that aren't explained at all.

>>329504192

And they don't explain them for a reason, it's about you thrown into a world where no one is sure about anything, I don't really care if you mess with one of the core points of the game, it's your experience.
>>
>>329504375
There's the in-universe gameplay, and there's the meta gameplay.

In-universe gameplay is exploration, weapons, abilities and possibilities. These should, for the kind of game Dark Souls is, be experienced blind.

Meta gameplay is stuff such as soft caps, percentage points where wheight caps kick in, how to get something done in a menu and when the game expects you to press a certain button. These are not part of the in-universe experience, and should be as transparent as possible (when it makes sense).

Then there are borderline cases. For example, the developers realized that weapon upgrading and ascension is very obscure to new players, so Andre of Astora is basically a huge fact dumper. While the embers and where to find them are part of the lore/gameplay, figuring out at what levels weapons can be ascended and how to navigate the menu, is not.
>>
>>329505753
Don't worry, you needn't explain, anyone worth their grain knows this game is flawed.
>>
>>329506741
Every game is flawed anon
>>
>>329503732
>Poise is useful but will occasionally get you killed
what means that?
>>
>>329497743

I bet you were expecting replies too.
>>
>>329507137
chain-stunned (high poise) rather than knocked to ground
>>
>>329507330
ahh ok yeah that is annoying
>>
>>329507284
Well....
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.