[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>always check out for new MMOs >none of them actually looks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: 1421648099262.png (254 KB, 620x500) Image search: [Google]
1421648099262.png
254 KB, 620x500
>always check out for new MMOs
>none of them actually looks inovative or different
>this been happening for years

How do we save MMOs /v/ ?
>>
At this point we can since most of the people are too used to mmos being WoW or WoW like so whenever something innovative comes out it won't sell or the hype will die after a few months, so people go back to WoW/other WoWlike mmo.

I hate the way it is but the genre is not saveable at this point.
>>
>>329496861
>at this point we can
can't
>>
>>329496693
PSO2

NEVER EVER
>>
I've said it before, I'll say it again.
Let MMOs die.
Wait 10-15 years
Make new MMO
Hopefully by then the "Lets copy WoW" thing will be over
>>
>>329496693
we wait
>>
>>329496693

They're dead. You can't save something that is dead.

You bury it; and remember that good times.
>>
We must let them die their slow amd painful death and when everyone has frogotten them and only then, may a new mmo rise to the greatness that mmos onve were. The same way roguelike games did.
>>
>>329496693
You can't. Just let it die.
>>
>>329497042

What made MMOs awesome was the appeal that you could meet and play with anybody around the world and explore a virtual world.

Nowadays you have numerous ways of meeting people online, and exploration has been replaced with min-maxing, exp efficiency, eShops.

Unless you turn back time, MMOs are dead.
>>
A persistent world only is fun for high school children and manchildren on disability. They had their era, its slowly on its way out
>>
>>329497295
Right now most mmos are too samey and they're just too easy and not grindy enough, so people reach the endgame in a week top and have nothing to do as ENDGAME DOESNT EXIST LMAO

Fucking hell, I hate this shit
>>
>>329496693
Well I feel like lots of MMOs aren't very good because they just sort of follow a formula, adding or subtracting features without much reason. To make an MMO good I think the developer has to have a very particular focus of an experience they want to make which can only be massively multiplayer, instead of their focus being the general idea of "an archetypal MMO but with this and this" which seems to be the way most of these things are developed now. If they instead focused not on what was done before them, basically copying the ideas which have been established to constitute a typical MMO, and instead designed their concept from the ground up, like really a shift in developmental perspective, then the result, I think, would be good. Even if it ended up outwardly similar to the archetypal MMO, I think it would still be better, have more soul, the massively multiplayer aspect would be more worth it and interesting.
>>
>>329497503

What do you expect? They're trying to sell to the people who have lives and want a casual game just like the rest of the industry.
>>
>>329497503
My buddy said this same exact thing.
but he also plays 6-10 hours a fucking day. of course your going to beat the fucking game before everybody else.
>>
MMOs are a casualty of the casuals.
They don't want to work for a reward, they want to click three buttons, get an achievement, and then get easy armour that looks cool.
And since money talks, MMOs will casualize until there isn't anything keeping people from sticking around during the months between patches.
>>
>>329497568
So you are telling me we should take out player levels, jobs, skills, and all that kind of MMO stuff

that's it ?

It won't even work
>>
File: Carl.jpg (12 KB, 400x238) Image search: [Google]
Carl.jpg
12 KB, 400x238
>>329497295
i went back to runescape awhile back and wanted to kill green dragons with a friend and he said he wouldn't because it was a waste of time and exp
>>
>>329497667
I know, and it's sad. But still lifeless neckbears without a life make up most of the communities in mmos, like it or not. They're aiming for the casual audience while they rarely play instead of the "core".

>>329497715
It shouldn't be possible to reach endgame in a week even if you play 6-10h a day. It just means the game has basically no content and is too easy so it has to reward people with LOOK YOU LEVELED UP once every less than an hour.

Now max levels or high levels are just nothing. You used to feel good and looked at the newfriends in mmos who have to spend weeks to even have similar gear and level to you. Now you just look at them and think "fuck, they'll be the same in a few hours".

It just ruins it.
>>
>>329497835
MMOs are for elitists who have time to sink into a virtual world where time played hails as king
>>
>>329497868

Unless RSwiki or whatever site they use now tells them the best way to gain exp/hour modern RS players won't do it.

I first saw that mentality when Dungeoneering came out and you HAD to min-max if you expected to get anywhere. Glad I left shortly after that.
>>
>>329497840
dude, an MMO without player level would be the awesome shit ever
>>
>>329498030
Dungeoneering I don't know if the rewards work the same way now but I remember when it came out a lot of the items would have requirements of 45 dungeoneering but the way the tokens worked it was impossible to get them until at least level 88 just to get a single reward from it.
>>
>>329497985
Yes, thats exactly what I'm trying to say.
And?
>>
>>329498030
i don't play anymore. i grinded osrs for a month in f2p, got membership and quit after it ran out. it looks like the old game but it's very different
>>
>>329498121
But muh progression
>>
>>329498121
Why? Part of playing an MMO is the community interaction and that's largely driven by the desire to get better gear and levels.

Really it's just the MMO community that's killed MMOs, they nitpick over every little thing and bitch about how "casual" new MMOs are but whenever an actual hard one that requires socialization comes out they won't play it and the devs are forced to dumb it down.
>>
>>329497295
this, it's been a long time since I've been through a dungeon where people talk, and the ones that do are usually just bitching about tanks/heals. I miss when working your way through a dungeon was about teamwork.
>>
>>329498146

They fixed that within a month, because Jagex was too retarded to math.
>>
>>329498121
And what would you do there exactly? I can see it working when you can unlock abilities and such with some interesting ways though, but it could probably burn out quickly
>>
>>329498324
Part of the problem is dungeon finder systems, dungeons have to be easy enough that any group of idiots thrown together with poorly thought out builds by a match maker can get through them and so communication isn't necessary at all.
>>
>>329498408
>>329498319
>>329498301
Make it like monster hunter and your strenght is all player skill and grinded items
>>
>>329498583
>Player skill

Reality is as an MMO designer most of the money is in f2p with microtransactions, which means a lot of the playerbase is going to be BRs and other foreigners with awful ping so you can't have anything harder than "don't stand in the red circle". Subscription based/buy to play just doesn't work because people are only willing to pay for WoW and not a new no-name MMO.
>>
Lets say the next big MMO is announced with a familiar universe. Who is in charge of it? What universe would you like to see?
>>
>>329499004

Runescape.

Jagex staff circa 2005, not allowing anybody to leave, or hiring new people.
>>
>>329499004
I'd like an MMO set in the FFTA Ivalice with judges, clans fighting for territory, etc. You could even have a daily rotating list of laws and let players visit the prisons.
>>
>fuark this is so fucking fun m8 everyone is communicating in chat and shit
>years pass
>well half of the players in the game are only using teamspeak but its cool i don't mind
>years pass
>nobody talks
>everything is solo based
>any communication need is filled with facebook and the endless amount of shitty websites where you can shittalk with people on
It's ogre friends, MMOs are dead because they were just social chatrooms with gameplay minigames
that just doesn't work that well these days.
>>
dead thread
just like MMOs
>>
>>329496693
Give me a time machine and give me my days of comfy Karazhan back. I can't stand current day MMO's that overdesign everything, where raid bosses have 5 phases with 11 mechanics in each phase. Just let me enjoy killing bosses with my virtual friends.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.