[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are console exclusives so irrelevant this console generation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: large.jpg (124 KB, 1024x901) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
124 KB, 1024x901
Why are console exclusives so irrelevant this console generation? The PS4 sells amazingly despite the lack of worthwhile exclusives for the most part and Windows 10 integration is letting Xbox One exclusives come to PC. The fuck, man?
>>
Games have become more expensive to develop so studios and publishers are less willing to gamble on new IPs.
>>
>>329453454
Exclusives have never been a reason to get a console for a majority of people
>>
>>329453454
Only cretins care about exclusives anyway.
>>
>>329453454
>Xbone is shit
>Wii U is shit
>PS4 is slightly less shit
>>
>>329453562
This. More former exclusives are going multiplat because they have to make up for dev costs as much as they can. It's also why games take much longer to come out than they used to.

New IPs don't get much of a shot because of the fact that one failure could wreck the company hard if they aren't careful.

And as much as I'd like to see Dev costs go back to the 6th gen era, it looks like they'll only get higher from here.
>>
big western AAA dogshit took over, thats it, that's the reason.
>>
>>329454673

https://boards.fireden.net/_/search/tripcode/%21BMnhHkmC0I%20/
>>
>>329453842
X1 is actually better than PS4
>>
>>329453676
>>329454673
>>329454961
>>329455107
Fuck off, autists.
>>
>>329455114
If you like shooters I guess
>>
The real question OP is when are people going to realize exclusives only matter if you're an anti-consumer and that we shouldn't celebrate any game being taken hostage.
>>
>>329454572

Anon I want you to go look at how much money Nintendo sinks into the 5 annual Mario clones. This is a problem both spheres of gaming are aggravating
>>
>>329455392
You think people would have bought a SNES if Mario was on a Sega console? Exclusives are the primary reason for console to sell more than it's competitors.
>>
>>329455693

That's not a good reason for them to exist anon. Those kids would have bought the game for whatever system their parents had bought them, assuming it was available. Smaller distribution of games doesn't help game developers it only helps the consoles
>>
>>329455907
If little Timmy thought Spyro was cooler than Mario 64 after seeing it in a magazine, he would ask his parents for a PS1.

Even if he got a Dreamcast or something, he may be happy that atleast gets the system with Sonic Adventure on it.
>>
>>329453454
Normalfags never cared about exclusives.
They won't buy an Xbone for Quantum Break just like they won't get a PS4 for Nier 2.
PS4 has COD for cheap and that's all it need to sell.
>>
Our hobby is ruined.
>>
>>329456216
I understand that anom, I'm arguing that that's bullshit and shouldn't be done anymore. People on this board like to champion exclusives as if having them is anything more than a stifling of the game's true potential
>>
>>329455392
Fuck you man. Developing game for both Xbox an PS4 severely impact their graphic performance and design choices, a lot of effort wasted that could have been used to use the strengths of a single console instead. Now that's much more anti consumer.

Meanwhile porting exclusive game to PC is also anti consumer since it basically mean you bought a 400$ console for nothing (because news flash, everyone has a PC)

Lastly there's games announced for PC as well a console, but then there's absolutely no reasons to prefer the console's version, which also invalidate their existence.
>>
>>329456391
Jokes on you, nerds. I have anime and judo.
>>329456659
That's the thing. Exclusives are a necessary evil.
>>
>>329456868
Karate > Judo
>>
>>329456659
Exclusives are the select games that give consumers a reason to get one console over the other.

Without them, there's no point to having more than one video game console. If one company has a hold on home consoles because they don't have any competitors it could quickly turn into a problem
>>
>>329456990
>tfw taekwondo gf
feelan' gud
>>
>>329456868

>exclusives are a necessary evil

Not at all. By this point graphical capabilities are roughly the same, you can have enough power to be able to run any game from one system on the other. Other than the fact we're used to consoleloyalty theresthere's no reason for exclusives to exist aside from to serve MS and Sony, why would you willingly accept exclusives anymore? I see more and more games coming across platforms, its not impossible. I don't give a shit what the selling differences between the two consoles is, the main difference has been a user interface for 12 years
>>
As a console cuck, I actually thought about building a PC this gen. It's something I never thought would happen. If Japan starts moving towards more pc releases, I don't see any point for consoles.
>>
>>329457139

There's already no point to having more than one console unless you're just looking to throw money around
>>
>>329456659
I like exclusives because they are completely focused on the strengths and weaknesses of one hardware instead of multiple platforms . Multiplats give mixed results between the platforms and pc ports are not always good aka Arkham Knight. Also exclusives are often of higher quality than Multiplats since they don't have to compromise on certain limitations, and they can spend more on optimization of one platform, instead of havibg multiple studios work on ports. I also don't believe that the current game pad solutions offered by the consoles, make for the best controls, and that the gaming audience is too stubborn to adapt to new controls.
>>
>>329455114
under what reasoning? genuinely curious
>>
>>329453454
>Why are console exclusives so irrelevant this console generation?
Nintendo bowed out of the relevancy race and Xbone shot itself before it even started.

So there's only one choice and you might as well buy it if there's a single game you want on it.
>>
>>329454095
The death of AA games is the single biggest problem with the games industry.
>>
>>329453562
Have they really become more expensive to make? FF7 cost $45 million to make in 1997, and costs must've fallen because of external economies of scale in some areas at least
>>
>>329453676

Niggerell has a job?
>>
>>329460671
But why dont they just make AA games then.
>>
>>329462527
More money going to art assets and marketing, also games are expected to sell more to recoup costs.
>>
>>329464787
>marketing
Not necessarily, I used FF7 as an example before and that had a budget of $100 million for advertising, over double what it cost to actually make the game. Now publishers will find it easier to advertise their games because it's easier to market directly to your target audience on gaming sites etc.

Also, publishing costs have decreased greatly because of the existence of digital distribution, the variable cost per unit probably around 0, middleware and game engines are much cheaper, and there are more people choosing to work in the games industry as a career, meaning that the labour pool will be bigger so cost of labour will decrease.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.