[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was Unreal Engine 3 so popular?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: Unreal Engine.png (3 MB, 1280x1440) Image search: [Google]
Unreal Engine.png
3 MB, 1280x1440
Why was Unreal Engine 3 so popular?
>>
>>329447914

Because buggy, low performance engines are charming.
>>
>>329448112
why isn't everyone using gamebryo then?
>>
>>329448112
That's not the frostbite or source engine
>>
It was a fucking good engine , better than UE4 ( better optimisation ) and look at Vanishing of ethan carter !
>>
>>329448112
>Low performance
You can run many decent looking Unreal 3 games on a toaster.
>>
>>329448112
>>329447914

From a developer standpoint, back then its the only lego development tool available that is solid enough to toy with aside the quake tools.

OpenGL was so much of a fag back then where virtually there is not many games using it thus having issues here and there with optimizations and support.
>>
>>329448449
>Vanishing of ethan carter
It uses UE4. One of the very first UE4 games, same with Hatred.
>>
>>329448558
Nope , vanishing of ethan carter uses Ue3 and had a patch named redux to make it be on ue4
>>
>>329448728
>>329448449

Ue4 is as good as ue3 faggot, if not better. Its the developers who use them fucked up with trends making their game dragging the name down.
>>
>>329448878
I don't mind UE4 i just say that UE3 at his time was better , actually UE4 is good but not as good as UE3 when it came out
>>
>>329448967
Its not as good because AAA devs hired B grade devs or overrated devs to make AAA titles.

Modern devs have no passion of making games, money is what they're after. Eventhough the sad truth is we need money to survive, they guys they just wanna survive the hell instead of making hell a comfy place.
>>
Who /waiting for source 2/ here?
>>
>>329449095
Fuck, just factory reset my phone and fucking chinese auto grammar fucks my sentences up.
>>
>>329449113
You think fat gabe gives a fuck about new engine as priority ? The smart guys who made smart games left vulva for like few years ago.

The only smart guys left are those who can maintain or enhance steam services.
>>
>>329447914
Because loading. Loading screens were the main fear of developers since PSX, what UE3 did was make the loading work like a streaming data so the game would load faster, they used massive number of lods, streaming textures and shaders so the game would kick in as soon as possible. The NT Frameworks worked in a similar way but was only available for capcom. Also, capcom is slowly turning of that engine and working with UE3 and 4.
>>
>>329448967
UE3 just made thing easier to implement in games, you could jump a lot of coding but at the beggining it was broken as hell. When Bioshock was out the first build had loads of issues, the same with Mass Effect 1. Many times I got stuck on Gears of War because the game didn't trigger events properly.
>>
>>329448470
I'm not sure why but have a lot of performance bugs on mobile devices, i can't run fine many games on unreal engine 3 on my notebook and my notebook can run cry engine games at medium quality at 30 - 45 fps.
>>
>>329449315
The thing about japanese devs+publishers is that engine is never thr priority for their games. Thats why u see kojima took a big gamble with fox engine development.

As a native pure Asian myself, we enbrace the culture of squeezing water outta rock, meaning you get every drop of pussy juice off the dry meat.
>>
>>329449501
UE3 doesn't have much support for mobile GPUs. It is all luck based.
>>
>>329449501
UE3 was too heavy for mobile uses even for current gen. There should be a game resource limitation for developing mobile games and not pushing it like how we do on PC, maybe more like consoles.
>>
Because MT Framework, an engine so good it must be powered by dark magic, is proprietary.
>>
>>329447914
becuse it was easy

i've learned basics of 3d modelling and scripting while playing with UnrealED.

now i do this for living and earn lots of money. THANKS UNREAL.
>>
Strange enough, im supprise we got no shitposters for engine threads in /v/ but in /g/ you get autismos running in like hot shit.

Lemme stir something up, im the UE lover poster above but i also love creation engine. Its pretty well optimized except for the frame tied issue, but they have their reasons to do that cuz 120/144hz 3d wasnt part of the package.
>>
>>329447914
aggressive marketing
>>
>>329449923
>i also love creation engine
Really? Now that's an opinion you don't see often here.
>>
File: Specular.jpg (698 KB, 1920x2160) Image search: [Google]
Specular.jpg
698 KB, 1920x2160
>>
File: dead eyes.png (285 KB, 617x701) Image search: [Google]
dead eyes.png
285 KB, 617x701
>>329450204
>>
>>329448449
>It was a fucking good engine , better than UE4
I remember seeing lod texture problems in almost every ue3 game, havenĀ“t seen that in ue4
>>
>>329449113
I don't know shit about shit. What does Source 2 do that makes it better than Source 1 or UE4?
>>
>>329449235
That's retarded. Unless they we going bankrupt or something they wouldn't drop a graphic engine incomplete, that would only lose them money.
Also, even if they didn't use it for anything other than DOTA 2 or whatever the engine could still be used by other developers.
>>
>>329449113
Source is a shitty engine nowadays and I doubt there's anyome comletent at valve left to make a good engine.
>>
>>329451159
Nothing, the main point of source 2 will be compatibility and content creation. Like DX12/Vulkan on the go and building a simple game will be like playing LEGO.
>>
>>329451437
>Unless they we going bankrupt

Well here you missed something. In business sense you dont fix something isnt broken. You're talking like shity mobas need l33thaxor tier graphics to run etc. No, its still good enough for CSGO, its still good enough for titanfall, it'll still be good enough for the next ten years.
>>
>>329451159
It works better
It's easier to use
The SDK isn't from the 90s
>>
>>329447914
easy to make the game look "next gen"
>>
>>329449235
>You think fat gabe gives a fuck about new engine as priority ?

They already have tech demos working on the source 2 engine.

Kill yourself, famalam.
>>
>>329452634
>>329454848
How do people know that though? I thought it wasn't properly released yet.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.