[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how are you guys enjoying the new metroid?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: super duper metroid.png (1002 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
super duper metroid.png
1002 KB, 1600x900
So how are you guys enjoying the new metroid?
>>
>>329425648
Super Metroid had better graphics and music despite being on the fucking SNES
>>
your mom was enjoying my new sex toyed last night
>>
>>329427634
It wasn't made by one man though.
It's pretty good for a solo work.
>>
I grabbed it and started my first playthrough on hard. Hooked me pretty well. That hornet boss is kicking my shit in though.
>>
>>329427918
And? Two guys made Miasmata, and that was a passable looking 3D game.
>>
>>329428214

Glitch the little hornets he shoots at you. They're the key to speed killing him, but glitching them works better than trying to shoot them.

Also be patient. Assume he's going to lunge after every normal attack.
>>
File: 1449206296766.jpg (555 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1449206296766.jpg
555 KB, 1200x1200
>this is the only 2-d metroid we'll be getting in the next few years
>>
Recently played it for the first time, and to preface I played on hard mode so that may have changed a couple of things. I thought the game was alright. It desperately tries to be Super Metroid with its visuals but has too much story bits/dialogue thrown in (like before every boss) and too much focus on weapons. Yes, there were a lot of weapons but combat in the game is borderline tedious as some rooms are crammed with enemies because why not. The weapons were also very straight forward, they generally had their one use and that was it. In SM there are a couple different things you can do with each shot type by charging and then going into morph ball mode (or something like that). That being said combat hardly feels like a focus in SM whereas it feels forced in Axiom Verge.

Also, in SM, there wasn't a large variety of upgrades, most were missile packs or health upgrades, but none were fragments that literally do nothing until you collect x amount, so instead of always becoming more powerful like is SM, you have a chance of being no better than prior to getting an upgrade.

SM is also a faster game, though AV comes close once you get all your teleport upgrades, though I wish I could use a button to teleport in a direction rather than a directional button twice as it broke up movement instead of being a smooth experience. I also hated enemy placement (enemies that come down from above with no indication of them being there and one room that is pink with pink enemies in pink acid shooting pink projectiles) and fucking LOUD SOUND EFFECTS. Even after adjusting the volume through the settings there were some that were just much louder than the rest. I also disliked bosses for the most part. And parts of the OST.

tl;dr the game is alright but I could've lived without playing it
>>
>>329428220
You're joking, right? Miasmata looks ugly as sin.
>>
>>329429514
Looks passable for 3D
>>
>>329429183
I used the lightning gun that homed onto enemies to kill the little ones and the piercing gun for the rest of the fight, seemed to work alright but fuck that lunge.
>>
>>329429471
AV has faster traversal overall and finer speed tech since the game is built specifically for this. SM speedruns are less fun to watch, red coat strats are sick.
>>
>>329429575
First of all, no, and second of all, if it just looks "passable" for 3D then Axiom Verge looks great for a 2D game.
>>
>>329429596
I did it with hypo for face and kilver for dudes on my first hard run.
>>
>>329429514
Axiom Verge is also ugly as sin.

Makes me glad that the guy making it had his lover/dog die right before the game came out. Probably couldn't bear living with him and his knocked off Metroid graphics that he then defecated on.
>>
>>329429624
I suppose, but the game takes so long to give you any of that. By the time you get the red coat the game is practically over (unless I'm recalling incorrectly). Never seen a speed run though, I'll be sure to check one out.
>>
What game is this
>>
File: 1324016481755.png (132 KB, 1256x1075) Image search: [Google]
1324016481755.png
132 KB, 1256x1075
>>329429716
Fuck it, I can't even handle how disgusting this post is, you win.
>>
>>329425648
It's fucking hard m8 never made it to the second boss
>>
File: 2837568-axiom.jpg (463 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2837568-axiom.jpg
463 KB, 1920x1080
>>329429716
Knock off my ass. This is completely ORIGINAL.

Fucking Christ he should've done something original.
>>
File: 1405219434966.jpg (131 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1405219434966.jpg
131 KB, 750x750
>>329429716
>>
What do you guys think of Cave Story and Ori and the Blind Forest?
>>
>>329430425
cave story is a good game
>>
>>329429891
whats your favorite video game?
>>
>>329429824
Axiom Verge
>>
>>329430425
Cave Story is a sjw memegame
>>
>>329430492
I was hoping for a little more detail than that, but I agree. OP shoulda just made a Cave Story thread if you ask me.
>>
>>329430425
Cave Story is an amazing game but not much of a metroidvania.
>>
>>329430617
Its a good game
wouldnt call it a metroidvania and suffers from actual backtracking problems
the sand zone is fucking insufferable
>>
>>329425648
You mean axiom verge?
It has great atmosphere and godly soundtrack, but routing and powers are nothing special and the last boss is so badd it drains every desire I could have to replay it.
Also, tons of weapons, most of which completely useless.
>>
>>329430425
Cave Story is Great.
Ori is overrated as fuck and every playthrough is ruined by that horrible narrator that has to point out the obvious every two seconds by interrupting the flow of the game. Also, fucking navi is back and is ever so irritating.
>>
>>329430642
That's just what I wanted to hear, actually. I feel that borrowing a couple aspects of Metroidvanias such as hidden collectables and backtracking (albeit very minor backtracking) the game is able to be its own thing. It seems at first like a Metroidvania but becomes its own beast very quickly, and does unique things due to that. Axiom Verge felt like the creator was trying so hard to replicate Super Metroid that he set himself up for failure. Super Metroid exists, I can play it whenever I want and I can guarantee that one guy won't be able to outdo it, so he might as well have done something different while borrowing aspects from it (though to a higher degree than Cave Story or Ori).
>>
>>329430785
This.

The last boss was lame as fuck, there was no point in trying to doge anything when the best strategy was just brute force from an angle.
>>
Worth a pirate.
>>
>>329430706
I agree about the Sand Zone. Just recently replayed the game and noticed how much that area drags. Then I started it again on hard mode and let me tell you it's even less fun with three health.

>>329430937
I agree with what you say about Ori, though I do still think it's a better game than Axiom Verge by a long shot. I really like the game's emphasis on movement and mobility, but I feel it is held back by modern conventions such as feelsbait story and hand holding. Like, fuck man, I know how to open the door. Maybe if opening doors made sense gameplay wise they wouldn't need to prompt me. Example, if Ori had to physically carry a door tablet thing to the door and then toss it in the door, there would be no reason to prompt me to press x, I would already know because that's presumably how I would pick it up.
>>
>>329431367
>it's a better game than Axiom Verge by a long shot. I really like the game's emphasis on movement and mobility
Yes, I agree.
>>
>>329431105
I think a sequel is in the works, and if so I imagine it would involve killing the face robots since it's suggested that they're not the nicest guys around. I think those would make for some cool boss fights so long as the creator learned from the shitty ones he made in the first.
>>
>>329431025
Felt like he was aiming for a far bigger game with the teleportation room, but had to scale down his vision after he realized how big the game would have gotten. Fun game but it never really felt like I was playing metroid.
>>
>>329431529
Hopefully the game gathers enough interest to force Nintendo to do something with the IP. Granted, I honestly don't know what I want out of Metroid at this point, but anything other than Federation Force would be nice.
>>
https://youtu.be/RKK20M2cUyI
>>
>>329429678
Bullshit, the amount of return for graphics in 2D far outweighs that for 3D - the amount of time and effort to make passable 3D would make for amazing 2D graphics
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.