[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
No Man's Sky thread? Maybe I've just been missing it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (639 KB, 1500x844) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
639 KB, 1500x844
No Man's Sky thread? Maybe I've just been missing it but I rarely ever see anything about this game on here. Personally I've never been more excited for a game to come out than I am for NMS. The vibrant colors, the literally billions of planets to explore at will (if you haven't heard look it up, no joke there's literally billions of planets and you can go to all of them)...it's the perfect "get super high and get chouchlocked playing for hours" game.

Thoughts, discussions, anything?
>>
>>329362083
>rarely ever see anything about this game here
It's because videogames are fucking shit
>>
This game is basically what Destiny should have been.
Even with a considerably smaller budget, it probably surpasses Destiny in every way..
>>
File: CcKN-DLWwAAfS-C.jpg (22 KB, 491x137) Image search: [Google]
CcKN-DLWwAAfS-C.jpg
22 KB, 491x137
>>
>>329362083
It looks alright, and I'm likely going to buy it (not like there's a lot of competition for june anyway), I'm a bit worried about people thinking it's another Destiny and shitposting about how there's nothing to do, but that ain't going to spoil my fun.

My only wish is that they add some kind of encyclopedia shared by every players allowing you to set courses to planets you want to see for yourself.
>>
I want it to be good.
I think it'll actually be average; nothing too special but a bit fun.
/v/ will cry that its an abomination on par with genocide.
And I'm going to wait til it comes out before buying. I have a major erection for space exploration but I'm apprehensive with the little they've shown.
>>
It's like elite dangerous with even less things to do
>>
>>329363216
Yeah that's the main thing that bothers me is how little gameplay/information they've released. Still, just from what I've seen I can already tell the wannabe-astronaught in me is gunna love it regardless
>>
>>329363516
Seems like it might actually get exploration right, though.
>>
>>329362083
if it was 1999 i would be excited to have an infinite game world to explore forever.
i have the internet now though so...
>>
>>329362083
As it stands, I don't think it has any hope for capturing interest of players for very long, barring the most devoted of individuals.
>>
>>329362083
>>329362254
>Game is what destiny should have been
>Never been this excited for a game
This shilling is fucking stupid stop and change strategies.

Having said that I am interested in the game but will wait like a week past release to see what people say about it. Looks fun but if there is no way to coop up then I wouldn't play it ever.
>>
>>329363719
I think it will for the first few planets, and that's about it. Honestly I'm positive it just cycles what color the faua/enemies are for each planet, and calls it a "new planet." I don't even think those robot enemies change
>>
Noone talks about it because it's going to be shit.

The devs have revealed very little about the game, they've delayed it multiple times and dodge questions in interviews. The only selling point they've been advertising about this game is how huge it is.

You know what other game was huge? Daggerfall. But you wouldn't enjoy exploring that map would you?

The same goes for this game. It's going to sell really well and it'll get pretty good reviews before everyone realises the planet generation algorithm is very basic and you start noticing the same terrain, animal parts, rock formations etc. after about 10-20 planets, albeit in different colours and maybe sizes. All we've seen in every trailer are different coloured variations of stuff that we could see on Earth.

On top of that they're going with a Journey style multiplayer system, so no exploration with parties of friends or pvp dogfights. We've seen nothing about proper crafting, base building, ship upgrading etc. so the game is basically a gigantic walking simulator, or like Space Engine but in a spaceship.

Unless we see any evidence of vastly different planets and strong multiplayer and replayability components then I'm 100% sure this game will get boring REALLY fast.
>>
File: NMS planet variety updated.png (4 MB, 554x3078) Image search: [Google]
NMS planet variety updated.png
4 MB, 554x3078
>>329363902
ah
>>
>>329363995
Since they're fairly indie I hope they're actually holding stuff back but I doubt it.
I hope its good but again; doubt.
>>
>>329363995
>M-muh multiplayer

Go play Star Citizen mate.

Seriously why do you want every game to have multiplayer tacked in like it's a guarantee of quality ?
>>
>>329363995
>the planet generation algorithm is very basic
nothing ive seen would confirm this. in the first place procgenning worlds isnt even hard and theyve put more effort into it than minecraft. and secondly they have some really advanced looking procgen tech that they dont talk about (the animal migrations being procgenned means theyre using time as an input which is a really complicated concept to implement).
hopefully they'll do a GDC talk on it or something. im more excited for that then the game
>>
I want differents ships.

Every ships you can actually own looks like a fighter from Star Wars. Sure they're cool, but I'm hoping the NPC ships we've seen in trailers can be used (although they've confirmed ships will stay relatively man-sized)
>>
>>329364342
>Devs announce game as being multiplayer style and everybody is playing in the same universe
>"Why would you want to play with other people?"
hmmmm
>>
>>329364653
Why are you shilling this game so hard anon? You're not a dev as there is no reason for them to shill it right now because it's not coming out for awhile so what are you doing this for?
>>
>>329364738
>Devs announce game as being multiplayer style
Where did they say that ? All I've read is a very clear announcement saying the game was NOT a MMO, and it was more than one year ago.

Also why would you want to play with others people where the game offers no option to build a base and discourage settling down somewhere ? Eventually you'd end up splicing up in differents directions due to personal taste or differences in time played.
>>
File: 54828075_p0_master1200.jpg (376 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
54828075_p0_master1200.jpg
376 KB, 800x1200
>>329364854
I have to agree with that anon, the tech behind is kinda cool even if the game itself is rather baaic
>>
>>329364854
>gets corrected on an obviously wrong assertion
>YOU'RE A SHILL
this is a discussion board not a dicksuckin board
>>
>>329365063
>Eventually you'd end up splicing up in differents directions due to personal taste or differences in time played.
Have you ever had a friend anon? They spent a long time saying that everybody would be playing together but you would probably never see each other because of the size of the world. Now they are saying it probably wont do that. Thats a dev changing it's stance and is a good show of how their other promises will probably turn out. Doesn't matter if you wanted multiplayer or not.
>>
>>329362493
what do you want to show with that post? a retard who doesn't know what he's talking about?
>>
>>329365114
>>329365158
>You called out my shilling so you must be the same guy as the previous dude.
Nah I'm this guy
>>329364854
>>329363817
Also I never said shit about the tech I love the tech I'm asking why the fuck you're shilling so hard.
>>
>>329365332
>Have you ever had a friend anon?
Yeah, I've played through a bunch of MMOs and a few Minecraft servers with buddies, it's a simple fact that you're not going to play together every time. it's usually not an issue because of the size of the world / fast travel / game design.

>Now they are saying it probably wont do that
Can I see a source actually ?
>>
>>329365487
this is /v/ you're supposed to be discussing videogames
>>>/biz/ if you want to discuss shilling
>>
Literally walking simulator in space ships. Don't fall for it guys.
>>
>>329365641
> “[Your friends] will be a long way away. People keep asking us about multiplayer and I think when people see this they are going to fully realize what it means to be that far away from somebody else who’s playing…

>“People keep saying to us, ‘Yeah, but what if I knew where they were? Would I go there?’ And it’s like, yeah, but they are going to have to stay there for quite a while while you get over there. And then once you get over there you might land on the same planet and then you will say, ‘I’m on a planet the size of Earth and I am on a mountain. Where are you?'”

They keep hint dropping this all the time plus there's more

>One component of No Man's Sky is a "traditional" multiplayer mode, Murray told us, though he's keeping tight-lipped about what this will entail. "There is this thing, which I'm not going to talk about now; that is a plan for multiplayer, and for people to have a more traditional multiplayer experience within the game. That's something that we'll deal with further down the line, that is exciting. But that is not what's core to the game right now. We have a laser-sharp focus on what we're going to ship with, basically."
>>
>>329364342
Would you rather explore the universe alone or with friends?
>>
>>329366058
Ultimate Hide and Seek Championship Leauge
>>
>>329366058
I don't see how that proves you right. You said :
>They spent a long time saying that everybody would be playing together but you would probably never see each other because of the size of the world
Which is what they're referring to in what you posted.

If you're referring to the classic multiplayer mode, in the same quote they tell you they're not working on it now and that it's not the core of the game, "down the line" could even mean "after the games comes out" depending on how you look at it. It's possible they dropped it, but they're clearly not changing their stance based on what you posted.
>>
>>329363592
people like you are so fucking annoying
theyve played that game for like hours on screen and demod tons of gameplay

youre just a fucking retard too lazy to google it
>>
>>329364653
The why is every planet practically the same?
>desert, ice or plains
>randomly coloured grass
>randomly coloured sea
>randomly coloured trees and foliage
>add a rock formation if you feel like it, pick a shape and scatter at a certain size around the map
>add dinosaurs

Pretty much every planet we've seen follows this pattern. We've seen no cool volcanic planets, gigantic expanses of seas, massive endless jungles, gas giants etc.

Interstellar had more varied looking planets with just 3.
>>
>>329366156
Alone with a built-in way of sharing discoveries with friends.Like "Check out this weird planet I found today".

I don't see anything wrong with not making multiplayer an integral part of a game if you don't want it. You shouldn't listen to every community feedback to make your game.
>>
>>329366579
>>329364047

Some planets do look the same but not nearly as much as you're implying.
>>
Does anybody know how deep the oceans will be? Every gameplay video showing bodies of water has been disappointing. I want to dive deep and encounter giant sea monsters.
>>
>>329366774
I think they said that all-ocean planets were a thing and that one dev ended up in a situation where he couldn't dive deep enough to know what was below him due to lack of proper upgrades.
>>
File: 1435401631246.png (121 KB, 229x345) Image search: [Google]
1435401631246.png
121 KB, 229x345
>>329363516
>>
>>329366774
So you want this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM7Mrxnx-sI
>>
File: 1456265548439.jpg (46 KB, 652x437) Image search: [Google]
1456265548439.jpg
46 KB, 652x437
I feel like No Man's Sky is a niche concept that's gained too much traction for its own good.

The concept on paper sounds amazing but in practice is only going to appeal to spacefags and the people who like games like Euro Truck Sim 2 (myself included in both those groups).

There is going to be a fuckton of exploration for explorations sake in potentially very samey locations, but to some people that's what they want. I play ETS/ATS specifically so I can drive around a setting.

The issue is that if the game is selling 5,000,000 day one or some shit, I can guarantee not all of those 5,000,000 are going to be into that type of game.

It's going to come out and people are going to be upset it's not got anything as complex as EVE Online (or even close) or that they can't meet friends easily or that "all of a generated planet is really similar, you don't ever need to explore more than like one field" or that the gunplay is simple and while that is all a valid criticism to some degree it also kind of comes with the territory. The game will never be some perfect MMO FPS space game that you're imagining. It wasn't even intended to be.

tl;dr it's a game that the dev is being realistic with, but the audience is too big to be being realistic with, and I feel like the game will get a ton of backlash because of it. Which is a fucking shame because the game really appeals to my tastes specifically
>>
Looks like it would be fun for a few hours.
>>
>>329362083
I think the game will entertain me for atleast 2 hours or so, and then I'll see that everything is the same and I'll just let the game rot in my steam library
>>
>>329362083
>literally billions of planets to explore at will

Fuck off shill.
>>
Spore 2.0
>>
>>329367032
Awesome. I've got Thalassophobia something fierce, but for some reason love exploring deep water in games.
>>
>>329366708
can you point out where they look truely different? Because I'm looking at screenshots and they all follow my formula.

You know Minecraft already kinda does this right? But with even more terrains/biomes, but no random colours.
>>
It will be just like Spore. A massive disappointment.

The problem is just like Spore. All these worlds. All these things. But what is there to do? Nothing much. Nothing to keep you coming back.

There is a long list of survival games with the same boring mechanics.
>>
>>329366592
but what's the point of putting people in the same universe if they can't actually meet up and explore. They already have the mechanics to meet other people, they choose not to let friends play together easily.
>>
>>329366774
I think I read an article that said there wouldn't be deep oceans on release.
>>
>>329363995
The reason they're dodging questions is because people started expecting things they never promised. They basically came out with a space exploration simulator and people started asking about coop and faction wars and such. This is what happens when you expose a niche genre to the general audience. These games don't bring huge crowds, they have their own cults.
>>
>>329367858
There's planets with floating islands, and others have a kind of serpentine landmass (I don't know the proper term, sorry) of varying width.

Clearly "practically the same" is an overstatement, but I get what you're talking about. It seems they're very relying on color pattern (and possibly making sure similar-looking planets are far away from each other in-game) to avoid boring the player.
>>
>>329366579
there's a fuckton of procgenned world/space games nowadays. nomansky is easily the best looking with the most diversity of all of them.
>>
Can you build massive ships? All I've seen is the same fighter.

Can you build massive bases? Set up settlements?

What can you actually do?
>>
>>329366774
>>329368108

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3803362
>>
>>329368150
I haven't seen the island but the serpentine thing still comes under my rock formation thing. I've seen it on a few planets they've shown and it varies in how curvy it is and how flat it gets.
>>
>>329368215
Be scolded for shooting things
>>
>>329368215
This is the main problem. And what annoys me most if every fanboy's response to your question would be "explore"
>>
>>329368014
>what's the point of putting people in the same universe if they can't actually meet up
that you can do shit that gets saved to the master server so everyone can see how you carved mountains into dicks on every planet.
if i cared to play it i would hope it will have offline mode since multiplayer is going to be literally dicks.
>>
>>329368014
There's other way to exploit multiplayer than meeting up though.

Look at Dark Souls. Besides invasions and summons, which are punctuals, during a normal playthrough multiplayer will primary be a matter of scribble on the floor.
>>
>>329368117
>The reason they're dodging questions is because people started expecting things they never promised
People keep saying they do that, but they never bring any recent article or video. Whenever they post a source it's some interview taken like 6 months after the first reveal, of course they were not at a point in development where things were set in stone.
>>
>>329368150
Not that anon, but there is very little in those screenshots discerning them all aside from one or two major features, ie: color color difference (red grass instead of blue grass) or terrain difference (snow or desert). That's gonna be the biggest downfall of the game, just like it's one of the biggest downfalls of Elite:Dangerous. They simulated how many billions of stars and they're all slight variations of the same things that can be found everywhere else.
>>
>>329367195
>I feel like No Man's Sky is a niche concept that's gained too much traction for its own good.
This pretty much. I'm still hyped (a bit)
>>
>>329368486
you should be able to do stuff alone and together.

What I'm proposing is a party making system so friends could teleport or fast travel to one another to play together. It wouldn't mess with people who want to play alone since players are going to be spread apart anyway.
>>
>>329368215
probably not.
far as i can tell the main gameplay loop theyre going for is: explore/hunt/mine/scavenge/(dogfight with npcs?) so you can then trade and make your ship/gun better so you can move closer to the center of the universe where something happens.... not sure the logic of why you need better shit to move to the center of the universe but it's a standard gameplay loop.
>>
>>329368215
>Can you build massive ships?
No, ships you will be able to fly won't be longer than say, a truck. You don't build them anyway, you buy them and then upgrade them.

>Can you build massive bases? Set up settlements?
No. Why would you ? You're literally supposed to see as many planets as possible and never settle down.

>What can you actually do?
Scans animals and plants to gather informations to upload to a space computer, collect material, fight (on ground or in space) against animals or spaceships (all thoses things can get you money for fuel except the part about killing animals). Besides that you can craft amterials together to sell it at a better price, or apply upgrades to your tool so it can be better at doing stuff, or upgrade your ship or suit to handle the differents environments and dangers.
>>
File: 1447422311649.jpg (164 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1447422311649.jpg
164 KB, 1024x1024
>he's not instantly wary of procedural generated, open world, "you can literally do anything" games

OP is so pure.
>>
as long as i can go in a spaceship, fly around, then land on another planet and explore stuff i'm happy. i'm not expecting something so great or amazing but if i get what they said i'll get i'll have fun. i mean, i had fun just walking around in skyrim for looking at mountains and forests for fucks sake.

hopefully if they get the generating world and exploration right that will lead to other developers building on top of that and we might get something better later.
>>
>>329368780
>Game sells himself about being so big it will never be fully explored
>Literally you and the unknown all around you
>"HEY WHAT ABOUT FAST TRAVEL ?"

Yeah fuck a dev for trying to give a little bit of atmosphere to his game.
>>
>>329369172
>you can literally do anything
>Source : my pupper ass
>>
>>329368780
i think it's pretty reasonable for them to not want fast travel for a game about exploring the hugeiverse.
suppose there might also be technical reasons... drawing dicks to the master server and reading it back fast enough to keep everyone in sync might be too slow for example.
>>
What's to discuss? Hype died because they took too long to release the fucking game.
>>
>>329369172
This.

ESPECIALLY since it's a crowdfunded thing and not something an experienced studio is making.
>>
>>329369172
all open world sandbox games are shit if you dont like being a character in a world doing things.
it's not exactly a gameplay heavy genre.
>>
File: RasmusArtwork.png (316 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
RasmusArtwork.png
316 KB, 500x500
>>329369647
>No Man's Sky
>Crowfunded

Anon, stop being retarded.
>>
I enjoy just flying around in space sims, trading and making a buck as a space trucker. I think I'll like No Man's Sky just fine.
>>
File: 1422009560432.jpg (247 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1422009560432.jpg
247 KB, 900x675
>>329363995
This. Took the words right out of my mind.
>>
This game looks amazing the only niggle seems to be that the combat looks kinda boring in the sky and on the ground and the ship is this dinky little Viper and not a bigger Millennium Falcon/Ebon Hawk style ship.
>>
things to do in NMS

>see every planet archetype once
>mine rocks
>sell rocks
>buy a better ship with rock funds
>shoot some other ships
>...
>bored with game
>it's been 5 hours
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.