[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TES IV: Oblivion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: 410161.jpg (563 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
410161.jpg
563 KB, 1920x1080
Started playing pic related for the first time in like a decade so everything is basically brand new

Currently level 11 and holy crap it takes forever to kill ANYTHING.
Major combat skills are Marksman and Blade and major attributes are Strength, Agility, and Speed.
Takes 20+ hits with a claymore and considering the bow does the same amount of damage as the claymore, using a bow takes FOREVER. Even on starting level bandits.

Difficulty Slider (wtf) is on the default setting, aka the middle. Lowering the difficulty makes the combat feel more natural but then the enemies can't hardly hurt me and the game isn't even fun/challenging then.

Is combat always like this in Oblivion or does it get better with higher levels and higher tiers of equipment?
Or do I just need to git gud?

>inb4 hurr durr TES has shit combat
noted
>>
>>329357467
>not playing as a stealth archer an ohkoing everything you see
Yeah, git gud.
>>
>>329359038
>stealth
nah man. I don't like being a pussy that hides from everything. I'd become a mage before a stealth archer
>>
No it really is that bad.

Don't get me wrong I adore Oblivion, and played it recently myself for the first time in many years. Had a lot of fun, got really into the character, but then level 10 - 15, shit just got dumb.

Enemies have too much health, fighting them is boring, and with me RPing somewhat my character just devolved into summoning a Daedroth and running away every fight.

Oblivion needs a re-balancing mod to be playable in the long term. I don't know what the best mod is.
>>
>>329359361
With melee combat you will largely have an empty stamina bar while you hack away at shit in front of you at first. Then at later levels you can just clock something with one hit if it's weak, but the borked levelling makes that semi-rare.

That said, I fucking love Oblivion. More than any other TES game. Do I have bad taste? Probably. I like it because of its setting and I like the mods for it the most too. Feels like a great fantasy world but not super alien and strange like Morrowind but not boring and just Vikings like Skyrim.
Shits good.
I mean, shits bad, but I love it.
>>
>>329359695
Damn....

I wish that Skyrim was made back in '06 and Oblivion in '11. I like both games but I like Oblivion's conflict a lot more than Skyrim's
>>
>>329359865
See >>329359891
I just want enemies a little more balanced as to where they deal more damage and so do I.

I'll keep at it but I may be hearing viking choirs soon
>>
>>329357467
>takes forever to kill ANYTHING

Mate..... its super easy to kill stuff early on, even with Hand to Hand. Leave the difficulty to its default, pick a class that you feel it suits you and have fun. If you go for Combat, you might be a beefy tank, with Magic you will one shot things and with Stealth you can do cool things too.
>>
>>329360054
You do hit a point about a third of the way in where you encounter both powerful stuff and weak stuff and you feel like you've got stronger but still aren't the strongest. A lot of overhaul mods fix a lot of these issues though, check out OOO.
Most of them essentially add content in the form of weapons, armours and enemies, then makes it interesting by adding mechanics to fighting like having your weapon knocked away from you/grabbed from you and so on.
>>
>>329357467
melee is garbage in comparison to magic in oblivion
>>
>>329360250
I mean, it is easy. I use light armor and no shield so while i don't have much defense, I can dart around and rarely get hit.
It's the fact that me and my enemy deal a laughable amount of damage so it's just a hack n' slash fest and that tends to get boring after an hour or two.
I loke having a ranged secondary so I use a bow and arrow but they do the same amount of damage but at a much slower rate so it gets even more boring

I love Oblivion though, as I do all TES games
>>
>>329360497
I fucking hate being a dirty mage though
>>
>>329357467
>does it get better with higher levels
depends how badly you fuck up your levelling (and if youve primarily been skilling up with the skills you actually want to use, you have). the scaling in the game is horribly broken.
>>
>>329360638
Well in that case, go for enchanted weapons, make stuff like Nerveshatter and wreck your enemies, and/or pick alchemy and craft poisons to combine with your weapons for greater results.
>>
>>329360797
Shit, that's right I forgot about enchanting. I'll try that out. I need to get my hands on some Sigil Stones
>>
>>329361301
Glad i could help citizen.
>>
In 3 weeks this game will be 10 years old.
On that note I managed to find this for $6 on Saturday, including the Coin still sealed and even the map still folded just how I remember.
Planning on marathoning the game that day.

Any mod suggestions?
I want to play with mostly the core experience, but any sharp refinements would help.
Planning on:
Oblivion XP
Leveled Loot
Unique Environments
and that one UI overhaul
>>
>>329360321
Well I'm a poor casual that plays it on the 360.
So fuck me, right?
>>
File: oblivion.jpg (83 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
oblivion.jpg
83 KB, 500x600
>>329361750
>this
pic related, my bad.
>>
>>329361750
I dont get why many people mod the UI, its fine as is. Also you should get http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/39635/ its really helpful and should have been a actual gameplay feature
>>
File: breton.jpg (184 KB, 977x527) Image search: [Google]
breton.jpg
184 KB, 977x527
>>329357467
>using a bow takes FOREVER
Your race, birthsign, attribute, and skill must combine to favor archery
I hope you're playing on PC, archery on k&m is extremely satisfying in oblivion when you try to one-shot things that are very far. You don't have to mix/max at the start, later on at higher levels you can enchant your own gear to fix whatever fuckup you did at character creation.

I remember my "fun" character archetype was

race breton female
birth sign apprentice
two major atributes: agility & stregth
7 skills: blade, armorer, block, conjuration, lighter armor, marksman, restoration

those 7 skills chosen at the start will give you a nice start so the game doesnt feel tedious, anything else not chosen levels up to max on it's own overtime at a pace that's irrelevant to your playthrough or is not necessary at all.

for example, restoration at 25 is honestly all you'll ever need, but if you got zero then shit's gonna suck and make it tedious to self heal, those why its taken at the start,

armorer... must be leveled if you wish to make great armor later on, so 25 at the start takes the edge off the tediousness, repairing all the trash that drops from mobs helps
>>
>>329362169
>it's fine as it is
>no other opinions exist except mine
>>
>>329362169
Scrolling through inventory sucks.
That's literally the only reason I get it.
>>
>>329362169
because the oblivion UI is built for consoles
it's total garbage
>>
When is Skyblivion coming out?
>>
>>329362453
I've tried DarNified and it didnt sit well with me, it felt out of place and small. and i never had an issue with the default one.

>>329362606
Well i am a hoarder too but it depends on what class you play, The only thing that bothered my is recharging stuff with Umbra/Azura's Star but i hotkey'd the weapon and got easier.
>>
>>329362356
I don't feel like I made a major fuck up though.
Currently playing as an argonian under the warrior birthsign, Speed and Endurance are the major attributes, and I know I've taken marksman and blade as major skills
>>
File: clannfear.jpg (125 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
clannfear.jpg
125 KB, 800x600
>>329363119
That's cool, after you get to the mage academy you can enchant gear to balance your attributes to whatever you want. The only thing I don't know about is starting out with speed and endurance as major attributes, that's a huge chunk off your archery damage that's getting shaved off, and it will make it take forever to level. even my "fun" archetype doesn't favor archery 100% so it doesn't get boring too fast (if you min/max archery your character will be too OP too fast, too early on and it will be weaker in other ways that make the playthrough tedious).

I highly suggest you reroll my setup with whatever race you choose, it took me about 10 playthroughs to choose all the attributes skills for fun playthroughs, if you choose anything else it will make it tedious.

Even Breton was chosen by me because of the magic resistance, which balances incredibly well with apprentice birthsign. in one of my plathroughs I chose the tower.. the one that elminates mana regen.. holly shit that was hard as balls and tedious as hell. never doing that again.. although I will admit at endgame, my character was amazing, but fuck leveling like that again lol

conjuration.. is taken because it turns you into a "hunter with a pet" type. the apprentice is chosen for the boost of magic pool that will allow you to conjure pets that are just strong enough later on to make a solid "hunter with pet" character.

as a matter of fact, with my setup, you even get a free lil skeleton buddy at the start to keep you company on your journey. later on you can bring along a Clannfear, that with this setup felt pretty damn awesome.
>>
>>329364261
Hmm...

So if I wanted to do a ranger type class that uses a claymore and bow 'n arrow as the main combat skills, should I take agility and strength as my major attributes?

As for magic, the only magic I would want to do is soul trap for enchanting. What would be required for that so I wouldn't need to do too much leveling/grinding to make it viable? Don't know if I'd want to venture away from Warriro birthsign
>>
>>329365034
>should I take agility and strength as my major attributes?
yes sir. if you notice in my build, i took blade and block too. because leveling those from 0 will make the journey tedious, and you need at least 25 on each for those "oh shit!" moments when things get in your face.

I think apprentice is fine for soultrap enchanted bows. you just need the effect to last 2 seconds, if you make a real archer type you will be "pincushioning" things nonstop later on, so the effect with a 2 second timer will always be up on the mob

also, i made a mistake earlier, I typed the tower, but now i remembered its the atronach that kills your mana regen (bith sign). anyway, it's irrelevant to this chat, just wanted to fix that mistake in what I typed.
>>
>>329365883
just a note for the sake of clarification, I think apprentice is 25, journeyman 50, expert 75, and master 100

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Soul_Trap_%28Oblivion%29
>>
>>329365883
Alright cool.
Will not having endurance as a major attribute hurt armorer much?
>>
>>329365883
Also, do your chosen major skills start at 25?
Can't quite remember
>>
>>329366828
yeah, plus your racial bonus
>>
>>329367074
Awesome

Thanks man! Will do a reroll tonight and see how it goes
>>
>>329361921
I still have the map on my wall. Good shit.
>>
>>329367468
have fun, really get into the side quests, Oblivion has my favourite side/faction quests definitely in any TES game. maybe in any RPG
>>
>>329366695
you don't need have a major attribute to help armorer, 25 armorer is taken to help you at the start, when everything sucks and there isn't so many drops, later on, you will kill things so fast you'll be up to your ears on trash drops to fix with hammers and it will level on it's own. just remember to fix with a hammer everything that drops from mobs
>>
>>329367568
I seem to remember shit hitting the fan big time during the collector quest.
It's all fuzzy though
>>
>>329368194
I only ever finished it the once, I remember him putting on a crown and getting possessed by an angry Aylied or some shit
>>
>>329357467
Yeah, vanilla OB is like that. It will be like that forever, regardless of gear, because everything scales to you. You need mods for the game to be worth a shit.

I suggest Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, Mighty Magicka, and some kind of increased combat damage mod (there are many to choose from).
>>
>>329357467
This isn't news, everyone hated the fuck out of the level scaling when the game was new.
>>
File: giflxxS.png (1 MB, 800x3176) Image search: [Google]
giflxxS.png
1 MB, 800x3176
>>
>>329368668
>Yeah, vanilla OB is like that. It will be like that forever, regardless of gear, because everything scales to you. You need mods for the game to be worth a shit.
Don't listen to this faggot who just joined the chat. He's a moron who sucks at character creation. He didn't even have enough common sense to choose his character's race/birthsign/major attributes/skills synergy for efficiency.

>some kind of increased combat damage mod
see I told you? he's a fucking idiot.
>>
>>329368193
Good to know

Again, you were a big help. Thanks!
>>
>>329369101
>I am a cocksucking retard
Except the proper way to optimize your leveling in Oblivion is to not take skills that you use regularly as major or minor skills so you can control your levelups.

This is one of the many, many reasons Oblivion is shit.
>>
>>329369132
You're welcome, have fun. I'm leaving this chat and I suggest you do as well. The shitters are starting to show up.
>>
>>329369275
Calling people "shitters" for knowing something that has been common knowledge for 10 fucking years and pretending like Oblivion's level scaling isn't completely broken isn't helping your point.
>>
>>329369029
I fucking love this pic
kek
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.