[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one was the best game /v/? Which one had better: >Gameplay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
File: M&Lseries.png (529 KB, 694x334) Image search: [Google]
M&Lseries.png
529 KB, 694x334
Which one was the best game /v/?

Which one had better:
>Gameplay
>Music
>Story
>Characters
>Boss battles
>Atmosphere
>>
BIS
>>
>>329345824
Honestly Superstar Saga is my favorite for the atmosphere it can convey.

>boss themes make them out to be actually threatening while ones like BiS's one sounds like a friendly scrap
>>
>>329346893
Dream Team has a pretty intense boss theme.
>>
>Gameplay

Paper Jam

>Music

Dream Team

>Story

Tie between BIS and PiT

>Characters

Tie between BIS, and SSS in terms of new characters

DT is pretty good and it relied on preexisting

And Paper Jam did do a better job at being flexible with the main series cast

>Boss Battles

Paper Jam no argument, it's the best part of the game

>Atmosphere

Tie between Dream Team's comfy as fuck and SSS's foreign land
>>
>>329346893

The friendly scrap style is to remind you of the game your playing and then transitioning into the fact that your in a real fucking serious boss fight

DT did the style better

But SSS being full threatening is great too
>>
>>329350102
The atmosphere of SSS battle themes in general did it better for me.

>Bowletta theme
>pure evil
>Cacklettas soul theme
>The theme of your demise as you are thrown in with one hp
>>
>>329346893
What? Are you fucking high? The SS boss theme is EASILY the worst SS music. It has no rhythm or gravitas, it repeats very easily and just sounds like shit. Compared to the regular SS battle music its fucking dogshit. Just because it sounds a little deep its threatening to you? Please.

And as for the BiS boss theme, I never thought of it that way. Its frenetic and more harmonic than whatever the fuck the SS boss theme was trying to convey. Its more of an extension of the wild adventure and the sudden mishaps, not an isolated moment of threat. And who cares honestly what you expect from a boss song like that when you're playing half the time as Bowser who's music might as well be a boss encounter every battle.

The PiT boss theme is also good too but is also just shy of being almooost as repetitive as the SS one. At least here it knew what it was going for. It felt militaristic and foreboding which matched the army feel of the Shroobs and how they were slowly taking over.
>>
>>329350918
>deep
What?

I just like how it presents a feel of being threatening rather than a friendly scrap like BiS.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcCJP35uIEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCYkpZ5vNrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLp-3Rw_u0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elb6A7iT6P0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GphACo5c0Y0

All final boss themes in this series are pretty good.
>>
PiT is underrated, it had easily the best story for a bunch of villains

Cuckletta got killed halfway

Fawful is too retarded to be a serious threat

Antasma is a literal cuck who wants MUH FREEDOM

Shroobs are best
>>
>>329354619
Shroobs were an interesting idea implemented poorly. Like why on earth would you mix alien invasion with time travel? Also you clearly never finished SSS if you think Cackletta dies halfway through.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 300x241) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 300x241
How many of you didin't know she was a she until a long ass time? I did.
>>
File: 1456819343695.png (223 KB, 500x445) Image search: [Google]
1456819343695.png
223 KB, 500x445
>>329354619
>Cuckletta
>Antasma is a literal cuck
Truly a post befitting of 4chan.

>>329356527
>didn't know she was a she
>>
>>329345684
>current year
>starlow is still a thing
just kill her already holy fuck
>>
>>329356693
What is wrong with Starlow anon?
>>
>>329354619
>Cuckletta got killed halfway
but she got better
>>
>>329356527
I played the game in Spanish and her name was literally Bruja Jiji which means laughing witch so it wasn't hard to guess
>>
>>329356786
She is an annoying literally who that serves no purpose in the story nor gameplay.
>>
>>329354619
PiT is underrated, but still the worst in the series.

Also BIS is overrated, but still very close behind Dream Team and SSS.
>>
>>329356957
I don't care for her either. I prefer the antics of the bros on their own.
>>
File: Stuffwell.jpg (136 KB, 960x1200) Image search: [Google]
Stuffwell.jpg
136 KB, 960x1200
Stuffwell > Starlow
>>
>>329357498
Agreed, at least she only appeared in one game and wasn't as obnoxious as shitlow
>>
>>329357498
>We will never see Stuffwell ever again

>>329357673
>She
>>
>>329356887
>Bruja jiji
Jaja
>>
>>329356887
>jiji
Does that mean that she sucks cocks?
>>
File: seriously.png (57 KB, 1119x315) Image search: [Google]
seriously.png
57 KB, 1119x315
>>329357839
>nigga
>>
>>329358314
What does Cackletta means in english?
>>
>>329358501
not him but doesn't it come from cackling?
>>
>>329345684
>gameplay
Superstar Saga. No matter what the newer games have tried with Bros. Items, nothing felt as good and kept up the pace of a fight like an assist less Bros. Attack. I fucking hate how much the new items have slowed the game down to a crawl. 30 seconds to a minute for an attack is dreadful.
>Music
Tie between Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team.
>Story
While Superstar Saga has the better writing, I enjoyed Dream Team's overarching plot more. The main antagonist getting btfo'd by Bowser who takes over completely and absorbs all the power for himself, I liked that.
>Characters
BIS has the best Bowser and best interactions with villains, but Superstar Saga has the better overall cast. Hard to say which one of the games is better in this regard.
>Boss battles
In terms of design, Dream Team and BIS have amazing bosses. The problem is just that they are too easy and the overall combat system is too slow. Partners in Time has a particularly awesome final boss. Superstar Saga has memorable bosses, but between Chuckle Woods and the end of the game, none of them are too impressive in any regard.
>Atmosphere
SS, BIS do great in this regard, closely followed by Dream Team. The babies and the time travel of PIT turn me off a bit, but it's still somewhat solid.

I fucking despise Paper Jam. It has no redeemable qualities in my eyes and combines the absolute worst features of all the games. Year long animations, terribly easy fights, complete lack of story or characters, no atmosphere, terrible minigames, mediocre music.
>>
>>329357708
Yes she, I'll stand by my word
>>
>>329358698
Well I learned a new word today.
>>
>>329358702
You're a TTYDfag aren't you
>>
>>329352497

I really appreciate what Yoko did with Paper Jam

It has that OOMPH burst of energy, that second half of the final boss makes my dick hard
>>
>>329358934
Never even played it. Don't have much of a will to either because the backtracking and plot turns me the fuck off.
I heavily enjoyed Super Paper Mario, heavily flawed as it is.
>>
>>329358702
>mediocre music
Paper Jam has some of the best music in the fucking series.
>>
>>329358314
No lo dudé, anon, solamente me dio risa cuando vi su nombre en español.
>>
>>329359180
The only outstanding track is the final boss track, which simply isn't as good as others in the series.
>>
>>329356369
Cackletta literally does die halfway through, though. Fawful just collects her soul and then combines it with Bowser.
>>
>>329354619

Shroobs also took over most of the kingdom when you go there

Other villains just go "I see you have a problem, let me make it worse"

But the shroobs already have the areas fucked up

In a similar vein, I really liked Double Bowser boogaloo
Once you start the game, they already have all the areas covered with minions and either Koopalings/or Kamek

And Double Bowser are the only villains to actually do something against you

Everybody else wants to "Take over" especially with castles

Yeah nah, Bows and Paper basically tell you to go fuck yourself and destroy peach's castle

No fucking mercy
>>
>>329358882
Yea its basically putting
CACKLE+ETTA
The -etta coming from the italiqn language as a suffix for various words or names as a diminutive, i.e to make words seem smaller.

e.g. bruschetta, stiletto, bomboletta, machinetta, operetta.

Also used for various words without diminutive such as some names (Mr. Barletta / bicicletta, bicycle)

Though one can assume it is the former, so her name might be understood as "small cackles"
>>
>>329345684
>Which one had better:
>>Gameplay SS > PJ > BIS > DT > PiT
>>Music SS = PJ > BIS >PiT >>>>>>>DT
>>Story BIS > SS = PJ = DT = PiT
>>Characters SS >>>>>>>>> BIS > the rest
>>Boss battles PJ > SS > BIS > PiT >>>> DT
>>Atmosphere PJ = SS > PiT > BiS > DT

IMO desu snepia
>>
>>329356627

Antasma actually is a cuck when you consider he did nothing but let Bowser get what he wants and he STILL betrayed him
>>
>>329360630
>liking bosses that do one attack, then literally nothing until they die
>liking bosses that do 90% of their own health as counter damage to themselves
>liking piss easy trash that doesn't even know the meaning of punishing and introduces minigames with fucking tutorials in the middle of them
>liking the same fucking bosses we've seen 20 fucking years ago
>liking bosses that try to introduce clever gimmicks mimicking your own, but then just die in 2 turns
>>
>>329360985
>no damage
>die in 2 turns

Did you farm for a fucking age and then turn easy mode on, anon?
>>
>>329345684
I wnat a blowjob from princess Shroob.
>>
Music and bosses go tot PiT
>>
>>329360984
Someone ought to put that meme hair on him then.
>>
>>329360169
But the time travel makes no sense. If the Shroobs took over in the past then why isn't the present fucked up?
>>
>>329345684
superstar
and inside story
>>
>>329354619
>Fawful is too retarded to be a serious threat
Fawful is the most competent villain in the series though.
He accomplished every single one of his goals, only getting stopped at the very end.
>>
>>329345684
>Gameplay
Battles, PJ. Overworld, DT.
>Music
DT
>Story
BIS
>Characters
Entirely new cast, SSS. New and old, DT.
>Boss battles
PJ has some of the best but a few really shit ones. DT is more consistent.
>Atmosphere
PiT
>>329360630
>>Atmosphere PJ = SS > PiT > BiS > DT
Man you must really like NSMB.
>>
>>329365342
Atmosphere=/=Setting
>>
>>329361146
Maybe he's talking about SSS bosses which do die in 2 turns.
>>
>>329365583
The setting is one of the things that contribuite in creating atmosphere.
The generic NSMB areas combined with the 3D Land enemies, lack of unique characters and wacky plot lead to a game that doesn't even feel like a M&L as far as atmosphere is concerned.
>>
>>329349997
So much this. You summed it up darn well.
>>
>>329366016
DT had just as many generic areas as PJ
>>
>>329366693
Not really.
Like with SSS (and the rest of the series) it was mostly typical mario biomes with a twist with the occasional totally original area.
>>
>>329366693
Are you fucking high?
DT has an airport, an old castle, a garden, a seaside town, a montain full of statues like bodybuilders and an ancient wood. Even the areas that could be described as generic like the beach and the desert have ruins and unique architecture in them.
PJ has literally nothing but NSMB worlds, without any of the twists the series is famous for, like the teeth on BIS's beach. Not even fucking Toad Town is in the game, instead it has a bunch of shitty little villages with the same generic Toad house from SMB3 copypasted 30 times.
>>
>>329345684
Dream Team > all
>>
>>329367214
Say what you will but the concept of Neo Bowser Castle was pretty rad
>>
>>329368027
Not him but I don't get why they reused the same name from Dream Team. Couldn't they have called the one in Paper Jam something else?
>>
>>329363903
Because the Marios went back in time to stop them, obviously.
>>
>>329358702
My opinions are basically identical to yours, though my opinion on Paper Jam is more "whatever" than hate.
>>
>>329367327
It's okay to have wrong opinions as long as you know they're wrong.
>>
>>329358702
>terribly easy fight
I hated Paper Jam but this is simply untrue.
>>
Am I the only one that doesn't like the idea of having to get attack pieces?
>>
>>329372378
I don't think anyone likes attack pieces.
>>
>>329372632
>>329372378
What's not to like about attack pieces?
They give you an incentive to explore the areas and make obtaining a new attack more meaningful.
Of course giving you 5 pieces at once like BIS did half of the times kind of defeated the purpose, but was still better than finding items at random like in PiT or grinding shitty Toads missions.
>>
>>329372983
I didn't like when they locked you in an area and said "ok you cant leave till you get these attack pieces".
Felt like padding.

That said I actually liked when you had to get the pieces for snack basket because there was actually a reason for it.
>>
File: 1456629836563.gif (427 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1456629836563.gif
427 KB, 400x400
>>329345684
Superstar Saga>Partners in Time>Bowser's Inside Story>Paper Jam>Dream Team

Fight me.
>>
>>329373612
>PiT second
>PJ above anything
No point in fighting shit taste.
>>
I never played PiT, is it just hated because having four bros assigned to four buttons is too complicated to keep track of?
>>
>>329373984
PiT is low key top tier, Superstar Saga is just better.
>>
SSS was perfect. It totally freed the Mario Bros from the roughly 20 years of baggage and gave it a proper, independent RPG.

Note that the basic enemy type *wasn't* a Goomba.

Paper Jam wasn't bad but it was everything a Mario RPG shouldn't be either. A total retread of enemies except some were paper and some were standard. The sort of thing they could have made back in 1990.
>>
>>329373984
>Implying PJ is terrible
It has the best bosses in the series
>>
>>329374080
No, that's not the only reason.
>>
>>329374141
PiT was just a poor game filled with dumb design decisions in general. Weak writing, no overworld, shorter and more linear than SSS, bro attacks are items, etc.
>>329374207
And literally nothing else.
Not to mentions a few of the them were absolute shit anyway.
>>
>>329374080
no.
It's because it's linear or something. And the US version has inflated boss HP.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.