[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm in the mood for an RPG/JRPG /v/. Has to be PC, only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: photo-original.jpg (423 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
photo-original.jpg
423 KB, 1536x1152
I'm in the mood for an RPG/JRPG /v/.
Has to be PC, only got my laptop with me.
Is this one good or should I get tales of zestiria.
I haven't played an RPG since Witcher 2's release.
>>
Do you play RPGs for great mechanics like some kind of worthless fucking autist? Divinity is your best bet.
Do you play RPGs for world and characters like, IDK, every fucking normal person? Pillars of Eternity.
>>
>>329297308
I was under the impression Divinity is more of an action RPG like Diablo? Pillars is great, but it's an isometric RPG
>>
File: 1316590636772.png (230 KB, 478x357) Image search: [Google]
1316590636772.png
230 KB, 478x357
>>329297186
I still get a big shit eating grin on my face whenever I recall that the devs had to cover up the cleavage on the woman in this artwork under pressure from the SJW puritan brigade. Fucking amazing
>>
>>329297186
What kind of Rpg are you looking for?

Divinity is turn based, isometric.
pillar of eternity is pseudo turn based as well and more story driven.

Games like grim dawn/Diablo 3 are also RPGs but less story or tactical based and focus more on the leveling/treasure hunt aspect.

Games like dragons dogma, dark souls are RPGs with decent or good story but focus on action 3rd person combat.
>>
I've been loving Dragons Dogma. A lot more than I thought I would. And I haven't even stepped into the DLC
>>
>>329297625
"we're not taking your games away" somefuck 2011
>>
>>329297186
Ultima 9 senpai.

Hope you like gamebreaking bugs and crashes.

If you want to actually play the game, get Wizardry 8.
>>
>>329297439
>Pillars is great, but it's an isometric RPG
but you said you wanted an RPG.
I'm just giving you a good ass RPG instead of autist shit
>>329297745
>>329297767
recommending DD for RPG players is like recommending FNV for FPS players
>>
>>329297186
D:OS is pretty fucking great desu senpai.
>>
>>329298185
>but you said you wanted an RPG.
>I'm just giving you a good ass RPG instead of autist shit

I'm not OP, I played Pillars and loved it, but I really didn't know anything about Divinity. I didn't realize Divinity was turn based.
>>
>>329297186

Divinity has tight combat mechanics and is a fun, challenging game especially if you play on Tactician Mode.The story is weak however, but that's not the focus of the game.

Pillars of Eternity is shit however, the combat is a boring, poorly designed clusterfuck, And the story is not nearly as good as people make it out to be.
>>
>>329298329
>Pillars of Eternity is shit however, the combat is a boring, poorly designed clusterfuck, And the story is not nearly as good as people make it out to be.
Most RPG's don't have spectacular stories. Fuck that, most GAMES don't. The thing that makes Pillars and other games great is the experience of being involved in the writing, how it immerses you and each quest gets you a little bigger piece of the world and your understanding of it.
>>
>>329298185

That doesn't make it a bad game.
>>
>>329299096
It makes it a bad RPG but correct
>>
File: 1389780504298.jpg (18 KB, 617x456) Image search: [Google]
1389780504298.jpg
18 KB, 617x456
>>329297186
I'm playing Icewind Dale now, and I can't fucking deal with trolls.
>deal a billion damage
>regenerate health
>can't die till I blow acid / fire on them with my caster
>at least six or more in each encounter
What the FUCK?
>>
>>329298583
>unironically shilling this hard for one of the biggest dissappointments of all time
you backed it and are too embarassed to admit its shit arent you.

Face it, its a shit game. The combat is garbage. The story is garbage. The UI is garbage. Sjw's quite literally infested it and changed it. Stop shilling for a reddit tier trash game and get the fuck out of here newfaggot
>>
>>329299328
Get an acid/fire enchanted weapon, anon. Or MELF'S MINUTE METEORS!
>>
>>329299328
Flame weapons and burning oil senpai.
Shit, Burning Hands is a level 1 arcane spell.
>>
>>329299397
>you backed it and are too embarassed to admit its shit arent you.
Nope. I just heard it was a good Obsidian RPG from many people (including friends).

Bunnyhop loves it, my friends love, and more important I love it. Sorry that you're too stuck in your /v/ world.
>>
>>329297186
Divinity OS has great combat and a mediocre main story. PoE has shit combat, shit world, and a shit story.
Take your pick.
>>
>>329297439
Divinity is a team-based turn-based RPG.

ARPG "Diablo-likes" would include Path of Exile (great f2p with it's jewery relegated to cosmetics), Torchlight (like $10 now?) and Grim Dawn (occasionally shilled here on /v/).
>>
Hm. Looking through I've went with divinity since I really love gameplay in most games.
After playing some other isometric games I find it hard to keep my attention if the gameplay isn't as good.
And from gameplay vids I think I'd have to force myself to play pillars to get the full enjoyment out of it.
I've already mashed DD a ton even tho the story isn't any good (until grigori finally shows up) because the gameplay's great.
Plus divinity is co-op and my friend's game for it.
>>
>>329300964
Remember to explore
>>
>>329300816
>PoE has shit combat, shit world, and a shit story.
Shit opinion.
You should try playing the game.
>>
>>329301067
It's widely accepted that it has shit classes and shit itemization though.

Balance tweaking single player games class disparities how fucking pedantic and dull.
>>
File: 1454095093001.jpg (22 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1454095093001.jpg
22 KB, 400x400
>>329301067
>PoE
>good
>>
>>329301380
>>329301523
>It's widely accepted that it has shit classes and shit itemization though.
I'm happy with it but even if you're right every game has flaws. Nobody claims it's a perfect game but the /v/ teens who claim all these games are wholly bad are WORSE than the redditors who claim games like BI or TLOU or Skyrim are perfect and GOAT.
At least they're sincere and not being tryhards.
>>
>>329301064
Will do; how does the class system work; do you start with them and then learn skills freeform or is it more restricted.
>>
>>329301591
Class only affects starting equipment. Everything else is customizable. My friend in my current campaign is doing a swashbuckler playthrough with rapier and shield.
>>
>>329301752
Damn sounds neat.
Is electrical magic viable? I have an almost autistic boner for electric/lightning elements.
>>
>>329301878
Yeah. If you combo it with water magic you can do extra damage and use water puddles to stun groups. Also worth having at least one point in hydromancy for rain and healing. Also don't try to play a jack of all trades and level 5 crafting lets you create spellbooks with scrolls.
>>
>>329297308
>playing games for the gameplay? AUTIST
No John you are the autist.
>>
>>329301878
Water/Lightning mage works for heals and damagestuns. Earth/Fire mage works for Massive Fuckoff Explosion of Poison Gas Plus Fireball Blowing Up That Gas Cloud.
>>
>>329302337
Yeah it is honestly. If what draws you into something isn't the art in it, the storytelling; but instead the autism of learning a mathematics/science behind it, then yeah you're an autist.
>>
>>329302437
ITT: Arcade games were for autists.
>>
>>329301878
Get 2 companions to fill up your party. You can split them with your friend so you have variety in encounters.
>>
>>329302549
Again, they were.
Definitely people who preferred the arcade to the great RPG and similar games.
>>
>>329299328
Use CC spells so you can take them out one at a time.
>>
>>329302712
Project more.
>>
>>329302823
Project? You need to learn what that word means kid.
>>
Play Disgaea. Doesn't matter if you buy it or pirate it but you need to experience the game.
>>
>>329302360
Damn that sounds fun as fck.
>>329302437
Why does it matter?
Are you seriously saying anyone who enjoys mechanics or how a game plays is autistic?
I'd say denying someone's enjoyment based on personal taste is autistic as fuck.
>>
>>329303147
>Are you seriously saying anyone who enjoys mechanics or how a game plays is autistic?
yeah
because you're focused on math and patterns and shit
like an autismo
>>
>>329299328
>play IWD1
>melee rapidly scale into unstoppable monsters, only the biggest of the big guys can stand toe to toe with a fully decked out Fighter for longer than a couple rounds
>play IWD2
>melee is shit, pure shit
>move them up to attack? They get one attack then you have to wait six seconds for more
>their extra attacks are all at massive penalties
>their saves are shit unless they're a Paladin or Monk and the Monk is straight up horrible
>Clerics and Druids do it better anyways and bring full spellcasting that is broken as shit on top of it
>Fucking EVERYTHING that isn't an absolute scrub like a goblin can sit toe to toe with a Fighter for a couple rounds because of the insane HP everything has, some non-boss mobs like the worg rider goblins can take an ENTIRE FUCKING PARTY focus firing them for those rounds
Fuck IWD2, worst Infinity Engine game by far.
>>
>>329303227
Being interested in maths isn't autistic. And I fucking despise maths; barely passed it in school.
And gameplay isn't about patterns, hell the ones that are too "patterny" are the most boring ones.
I like games that have fun gameplay that feels satisfying whilst challenging.
Like XCOM, Shadowrun HK, or DD.
If a game ultimately fails at being a fun game then why not just make it a visual novel.
There's nothing wrong with enjoying storytelling but neither is it a crime to enjoy gameplay more than that.
>>
>>329303617
>And gameplay isn't about patterns, hell the ones that are too "patterny" are the most boring ones.
Literally the whole reason people are interested in playing games "for the gameplay" is basically because there is a pattern (certain combos, certain items, certain strategies) that work that take a long time to learn. It's literally math autism.
>>
>>329303227
>fun things are fun
>autism
>NOOOOOOOOOO MY VIDEO GAME STORIES ARE 2DEEP4U
>NOT autism
Something is wrong here.
>>
>>329303227
You are autistic
>>
>>329303769
Stop projecting, literally nobody but you thinks gameplay is for autists and you'd be laughed out of any conversation for saying this shit.
>>
>>329303910
>literally nobody but you thinks gameplay is for autists
Says the echochamber kid.
>>
>>329303769
Literally everything in life is a fucking pattern if you explain it like that retard.
Even social interaction is a pattern.
Physical activities like running and fencing would be pattern-based.
So in summary; EVERYONE IN THE WORLD HAS AUTISM. ANON HAS CRACKED THE CODE. EVERYONE GO HOME.
>>
>>329304225
Literally nobody but you. Go tell people in an inner city arcade that they're all autists for playing MvC instead of playing Gone Homo and watch what happens.
>>
>OP wants a recommendation on an RPG
>first post causes the thread to disintegrate into shitposting about autism

Truly, is /v/ the worst of boards?
>>
>>329305608
Its humans in general.
50% of them believe if they can't understand something or why someone likes or enjoys something it must be evil/autistic/blasphemous/etc
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.