[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there really people who don't think Mass Effect 1 is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: masseffect_1a.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
masseffect_1a.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Are there really people who don't think Mass Effect 1 is the best game in the series?
>>
>>329260718

Mhm....

Me.
>>
>>329262565
Explain yourself
>>
2 is just better. The equipment was better in 1 but that's about it.
>>
>>329260718
ME1 is my favorite as far as story goes
ME2 is better gameplay imo
>>
>>329262728
This.
>>
>>329262728
The character dialogue in Mass Effect 1 is laughably bad. It might have a better plot but Mass Effect 2 has a better script.
>>
Just finished replaying it and that solidified my opinion that I prefer 2 in just about every way.
>>
>>329260718
2 added in better weapon mechanics, and 3 improved them even further, but apart from that they're all a gutted mess.
>>
>>329260718
yeah.. earth is full of idiots
>>
>>329260718
>Are there really people who don't think Mass Effect 1 is the best game in the series?
yes
I envy them
I too would like to be able to like all of the shit I'm fed
>>
>>329260718
I wish 2&3 had 1's sense of exploration and overall quality of cast because they were more fun gameplay wise, and gameplay is important.
>>
You guys serious? It's the shortest, it has the worst gunplay, awful upgrade system, the FUCKING MAKO...

The only thing it has going for it is the novelty of being the first.
>>
2 > 1 > 3

Above all, the gameplay in 2 and 3 improved greatly and 2 had a great core cast. It would have been a near perfect sci fi game if they had kept Mako exploration and improved it.
>>
File: 1417501594714.jpg (21 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
1417501594714.jpg
21 KB, 480x600
>>329263070
>>
>>329262728
ME2 still has shit gameplay so who cares?
>>
>>329260718
It isn't.

ME2 is the best game of the series.
Only thing ME1 did better was the story, and even that was generic as hell. Music was also good. ME2 did everything else better.
>>
>>329260718
ME1 did some things better than 2, but 2 was just overall better in almost every way. The characters and combat especially.

ME1 has tons of issues people tend to forget about like the horrendous inventory system, elevators, etc.
>>
>>329265018
Wow, you are delusional

>weapons get nerfed to hell
>skill customization was nerfed
>weapon cooling removed
>removed mako
>scanning planets
>global cooldown

And that's not getting into how literally pointless ME2 is from a story perspective.

ME1 isn't perfect, but ME2 was not superior.
>>
>>329260718
That's not the worst of it.
There are people out there RIGHT NOW that think removing a clunky system entirely is better than improving it and giving more options.
>>
>>329260718
ME>ME3>ME2

ME3 had great gameplay and the horde mode was really well done. ME2's story was pretty meaningless, the last boss was just as bad as ME3's ending, and the only good thing about ME2 was the characters.
>>
>>329265957
You list things as flat negatives as if they were objectively good things.

For example the MAKO was fun the first few times but quickly got immensely boring and repetitive, especially since it was so basic.
You then also ignore all the things ME2 did better.

It's clear your biased for the wrong reasons. It's fine if you like ME1 more, but trying to stay objective is a good idea if you expect to be taken seriously.
>>
It was better when you were playing it on release, wow-factor was HUGE till you realize that planets are empty and the game is somewhat sluggish and rpg elements are kinda tacked-on. 2 is much more polished game overall, story and dialogues are miles ahead too.
>>
>>329266235
>There are people out there RIGHT NOW that think removing a clunky system entirely is better than improving it and giving more options.

Yes?
Removing something that isn't even remotely fun and only annoys you is an improvement.
Woudl trying to improve the system be better than both? Yes, but as it stands it wasn't the one they went with, so the removal of the shit inventory system is an improvement.

>>329266421
>ME>ME3>ME2

Now this is funny.
>>
>>329266484

I wasn't ignoring what ME2 did better. I'm knocking ME2 from its pedestal. Yes, there's better characterization in ME2. The combat is refined, and there are some new ideas added to the game play that I liked, such as those moments where you can do an extra paragon or renegade action.

As for the MAKO, while planets can be repetitive, it was never boring. That's not even looking at the replacement, planet scanning.
>>
File: garrus hanako.png (266 KB, 831x750) Image search: [Google]
garrus hanako.png
266 KB, 831x750
2 is the best one overall. Even though its plot is literally pointless, the overall writing is miles better than 3 and the character interactions are more compelling than either other game, mostly because you get cool moments like Wrex pushing everyone out of the way to hug Shepard, Garrus going full Punisher, etc.

And the combat's the best too. I didn't like what I played of ME3, really just the demo. It felt... off. I can't really explain it. It didn't feel as tight somehow.

Really if we could have a game that had the character writing of 2 and the worldbuilding of 1 it would be great.
>>
1 was the overall best.

2 fixed some things with 1 I disliked but also took away some thing. I believe 2 had the better combat. Nice characters, story went nowhere.

3 took the worst qualities of both games and made them worse with its own special flair.
>>
>Terrible movement and combat controls
>firing guns literally felt like holding down the mouse button using a spray can in MS paint
>HUD and font literally ripped straight from Halo 1
>Texturing on armors made them all look like wetsuits
>Planet exploration got boring after the 3rd or 4th time once the whole "drive to vacuum sealed mineshaft, kill surprise enemies, have a collectathon, extract" formula took hold

ME1 had a great story, but the gameplay was garbage and the details could be just as bad.
>>
Prefer 2 although I wish there the gcd on abilities wasn't there.
>>
>>329260718
1 is the best overall, really has that sense of wonder and great exploration, and I think the most sidemissions
2 has better characters and crew overall and a lot of really good sidemissions, exploring the seedy underworld bits of the galaxy.

In a perfect world, Bioware would have made two series for Mass Effect: One about exploration, the big picture, taking down shit like terrorists and preventing wars (forget the Reapers, they're shit) and the other focusing on all the really grimey shit that goes on on planets like Ilium or places like Omega and the Citadel, more small scale and focused
>>
File: 1331969575736.jpg (315 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1331969575736.jpg
315 KB, 1920x1080
I'm always conflicted by the question of which i like most. 1 has some great qualities and I really enjoy the cool little moments when you actually enjoy exploring the mostly empty planets. 2 on the other hand... I never have trouble getting through it, unlike 3 where I typically lose interest halfway through it.

But the thing is 3 is still my favorite for some reason. The ending is shit - I don't even calculate it into my equation it's so bad - but it has some of the most amazing moments. The last Tuchanka mission was balls-tighteningly good. The final mission on earth was just so much fun for me. And I shouldn't even count it because it was dlc, but the last moment in the citadel dlc... "the best." nothing has gotten me choked up like that since I was a kid. Also, I feel like there are a lot of strong arguments that 3 has the best combat.
>>
Tried playing Mass Effect 1 just two days ago, went to masseffectsaves and played Mass Effect 2 instead
>>
>>329260718
Most people actually
http://www.pcgamer.com/ranking-the-best-and-worst-of-the-mass-effect-games/
>>
>>329260718

ME2 was better. ME1 suffers from a lot of flaws, biggest being the inventory, fuck, how I fucking hated that pile of shit
>>
I love them all but I like 3 the most altogether. I've played it 6 or 7 times, although I only finished the earth/citadel mission on two of them for obvious reasons.
>>
File: Sovereign.png (349 KB, 960x535) Image search: [Google]
Sovereign.png
349 KB, 960x535
>>329260718
I just recently replayed both and can confirm that 2 is just a better game.
It's gameplay is so much cleaner nad satisfing. It's music and atmosphere are almost as good as in ME1, even though they have different themes.
Characters and thier development are what makes ME2 superior to ME. As the other Anon said, dialogues in the first game aren't top quality.
>>
File: MassEffectMeme.png (1 MB, 963x1116) Image search: [Google]
MassEffectMeme.png
1 MB, 963x1116
>>
>>329260718
Op, you're too old to be here. Get a job and have kids and shit.
>>
>>329264678
This is what always gets me. People say the gameplay in 2 is better, but if you're playing either game for the combat you're fucking retarded. Either you get a clunky but interesting game or a thoroughly generic cover based shooter with no boons.
2 is fucking awful and made me not even want to bother with 3.
>>
>>329272231
honestly even as a big fan of 2 I feel like this is pretty accurate.
>>
>biotics in 1 toss everything like ragdolls
>constantly throwing and getting thrown by enemies

does this shit get fixed in 2?
>>
>>329260718
What I disliked about 1 was the copy paste environments used in the side quests. There was such an obvious lower budget for them compared to the main quest and I spent much more time on side activities then the main quest.

2's planet scanning was absolute shite compared to 1's mako exploration. They probably had less proper side quests than with 1 but you could really taste the higher budget on them.

3's side quests were even worse with dodging reapers and scanning planets to do side quests.
>>
>>329272652

>he didn't use adrenalin with sniper rifles

I know, it's pretty much bullet time, but goddamnit, shit feels satisfying when you put a bullet in their brain
>>
>>329272231
Probably the most accurate description of a series I have ever seen.
>>
>>329272231
Even the box art tells it all.

ME1 Box
>Space Opera: The Collage

ME2 Box
>Badass leading squad of unlikely heroes into battle

ME3 Box
>Lookitme so based hurr
>>
>you'll never be a smuggler moving product from Omega/Ilium to the Citadel
>you'll never pay off C-Sec officers and make fat stacks of cash
>you'll never work your way up through the ranks
>you'll never hit a huge pile of red sand before diving into a multi-species harem
>you'll never go out like Scarface after your rivals get sick of your success
>>
>>329273785
>tfw you'll never go to a club with your turian bro and drink while an asari dances in your table
>>
>>329274038
>you'll never have morons IRL misinterpret your conversation about how she looks as some form of mind fuckery they have
>>
Yes, and they infest this board. Welcome to /v/eddit.
>>
>>329260718
I don't I am not one of those weird people that's for sure 2 only had better gunplay everythign else aside from the Obvious graphic improvements were better in the first installment.
>>
File: Gehrmann.jpg (114 KB, 720x833) Image search: [Google]
Gehrmann.jpg
114 KB, 720x833
Having 100%ed all of these games with one character and never played them again, here are the official rankings

>Cool story, kind of generic though
>Planet exploration was boring, I would tape my analog stick down and walk away
>There were only 4 different rooms on the planets, maybe sometimes they would move around boxes
>Guns a shit, powers a shit, everything shit

>Story gets more fun characters and choices but starts getting weird
>Guns and powers feel like theyre doing something
>Replaced mako with mining, still tedious shit
>Shit final boss

>Story ohshitniggerwhatareyoudoing mixed with some nice character deaths
>I liked that there were fancier enemies and expanded powers
>DLC beach party a shit
>I had to keep coming back to the citadel and walking to one room every time instead of just warping there out a menu
>I don't remember there being mining or anything
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.