[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the last big fighting game that tried something new?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: Hadouken-Toilet-Art.jpg (370 KB, 1204x742) Image search: [Google]
Hadouken-Toilet-Art.jpg
370 KB, 1204x742
What's the last big fighting game that tried something new? Why did the entire genre collectively decide to just copy street fighter 2 or marvel vs. capcom 2? I don't think any other genre has a 25 year history while changing literally nothing about the core gameplay.
>>
Smash.
>>
Divekick, since you want the giant departure non-fighting game and any mechanics change doesn't count.
>>
Probably gang beasts is the least fighting game kinda fighting game
>>
Injustice?
>>
>>329247414
Thats probably true, although the devs never wanted it to be a fighting game.
>>
File: 1399659784653.png (678 KB, 795x558) Image search: [Google]
1399659784653.png
678 KB, 795x558
>>
>>329247236
pokken looks different, but it more like naruto ninja storm from the trailers only
>>
Persona 4 Arena, but then they released a sequel that was literally the same game with 3 new characters and DLC. It doesn't even have a good arcade mode with different endings
>>
>>329247236
not really into fighting games, but don't 3D fighters play very differently? 3D as in not a 2D plane, not the graphics, obviously

or is it not really that different
>>
File: 1425945577297.jpg (190 KB, 1000x1416) Image search: [Google]
1425945577297.jpg
190 KB, 1000x1416
>>329247236
You mean copy Darkstalkers. If you're going to compare things, at least get your facts straight before you start shit.
>>
>>329247706
And that looks like Budokai Tenkaichi. Those games were admittedly pretty novel, but unfortunately they were all shit.
>>
>>329247873
It might as well be a different genre altogether and honestly OP was probably even talking exclusively about 2D fighting games.
>>
>>329247873
tekken and doa has sidestepping mechanics. they also have jumping, but vertical zoning is not as much as a factor compared to 2d fighters, other than doing overhead hits.
>>
>>329247236
There's literally a fighting game for everyone. Why you faggots are so utterly blind to the evolution of the genre is beyond me. It's like you literally take everything at face value and haven't touched any games.
>>
>NO I MEAN 2D FIGHTING GAMES
>SMASH IS NOT A FIGHTING GAME
>THIS ANIME SHIT DOESN'T COUNT EITHER
>IF YOU SQUINT YOUR EYES A LITTLE, IT VAGUELY RESEMBLES GUILTY GEAR

>WHY ARE FIGHTING GAMES SO STAGNANT

I mean in essence, today's FPS titles are nothing but doom with a graphics update too
>>
Because fighting games are hard to learn and developers want to give something kind of familiar to people who play the genre.
>>
>>329247639
>tfw I will never be able to buy the HD release again
>>
File: 4dgo.jpg (186 KB, 500x1800) Image search: [Google]
4dgo.jpg
186 KB, 500x1800
we're getting stagnant, we need to start paving the way for a new kind of fighting game

4D FIGHTING
>>
>>329247236
Yeah, I don't think you've played any fighting game beyond mashing buttons.
>>
>>329249254
if you've already bought it you should be able to redownload it if you find it under your past purchases
>>
>>329249254
Anon the HD release was a garbage port with bad netcode that nobody played.
Just stick to fightcade.
>>
>>329247859
Typical ASSys move. The've been doing that since guilty gear reload
>>
>>329247236
>First people in the FGC play older games
>Their favorites are games like Super Turbo 2 and MvC2 because those were out at the time
>New people join the FGC as it gets more exposure and more fighting games are released
>Older players are better at fighting games because they have more experience
>Old fags tell everyone their favorite games are older games like ST, MvC2
>New fags follow the old fag's words because they're better fighting game players, so they're probably right
>New fags get better at fighting games and pass this opinion onto other newer players who believe them for the same reason
>Fast forward years ahead where the "non-original" players make up a huge portion of the FGC
>99% of the FGC are people who praise old fighting games blindly without really knowing why
>>
You just aren't playing the right fighting games, brah
>>
>>329250902
>>99% of the FGC are people who praise old fighting games blindly without really knowing why
That's online ghosts and /v/ shitposters if anything. Fresh blood in the FGC like new games or whatever games they got started with. The only people blindly praising old games are fake OG's and those who were actually there and even then they're hyper critical of them still.
Look at CvS2. People here like to act like it was some kind of end all be all of fighters but most of the people who played it professionally have called the game complete ass in EVO interviews.

The community has always moved with the games regardless if the previous entry is fondly remembered or not.
>>
>>329251296
Newer players tend to have their own favorite games yes, but it doesn't stop them from thinking that those older games are considered perfect examples of what a fighting game should be. FGC players are extremely stubborn when it comes to arguments about fighters, but I've convinced so many people to agree with me just by mentioning things like "Super Turbo did it".
>>
>>329251672
>but I've convinced so many people to agree with me just by mentioning things like "Super Turbo did it".
Is this at your locals or events? Whenever old games get brought up a lot of new players are aware of what older games brought to the table and while some are inclined to think things like that they usually admit to not having the experience or knowledge first hand to wholly agree.
Even then his line of thinking isn't limited to people who play fighters though, you see it across every genre.
>>
>>329247527
But it's just Mortal Kombat with DC characters and less gore
>>
File: EVOwhen.jpg (95 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
EVOwhen.jpg
95 KB, 640x480
>>329247236
Here is your something new. 2D fighter based primarily on ranged combat and bullets to dodge.

With the exception of China and lesser extent Youmu.
>>
>>329247236
What would you change about it?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.