[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I recently got Dark Souls and have spent a few hours on the game,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 512x288
I recently got Dark Souls and have spent a few hours on the game, and I honestly can't find the reason why it's so popular. I have only gotten to the place after the Undead Asylum (beginning of the game). I took the downward path and attempted both the abyss looking area (although I took one hit from a ghost, the first ones you encounter after crossed that makeshift bridge and ran) and the Drake's Lair or whatever (took off running from the ogre looking things in the cave and then got absolutely obliterated by that undead dragon). Then I attempted the upward stairs. I found a path near the Black Knight that goes down into that spiral stairwell with the dragon plated knight (?), and got obliterated by that guy with his......long, horn thingy. After that, I attempted the Taurs Demon up on the castle top. Almost had him but got obliterated thanks to how bad the game glitches and forces me to keep rolling until my stamina is gone and that archer. It seems like EXTREMELY too much work for such little reward that is completely useless to you when you first get it. I play games like MH and Soul Sacrifice and although they require working for rewards, it seems absolutely pointless in Dark Souls. I understand the game is supposed to be extremely difficult, that's not my issue. I find the work to by in extreme excess compared to the reward.
>>
>>329216308

git gud
>>
>>329216308
can you even get to the valley of the drakes without going through most of undead burg? does the key gift open the door in new londo that leads to valley of the drakes?
>>
cant tell if you are being serious or not so here goes

1) stop being a fucking retard and judging a game based on the first hour or 2.

2) dont play the game with the mindset of hurrdy fucking durr its popular because if you do youre just going to find ways to be a hipster and hate it

3) again, getting the game just because its popular doesnt mean youll like it. persona is popular but ill fucking hate it because god damn fuck anime
>>
if you don't like it then it's fine
dark souls is a really overrated game but not bad at all, it's a great game once you get into it
but if you don't enjoy what you have experienced so far then don't play it
>>
>>329216308

I bet you are awful at MH too. And I bet you like it because you always get carried.
>>
>>329216569
Yeah, you can actually just go right to Spider Bitch if you want.

>>329216308
Well, the "reward" is the rest of the game. Take that as you wish, though you're missing out if you don't learn what you need to do. Perhaps try killing the archer before bringing the boss in. What you consider to be too much work, other people do within just a few minutes. The things you mentioned having difficulty with are more or less the tip of the iceberg. tl;dr - git gud
>>
>>329216308
>I understand the game is supposed to be extremely difficult
But it's not, it's only supposed to be just challenging enough to feel great when you overcome a tense bit.
>>
>>329216569

yes
>>
git
gud

Sad part about what you're saying is Dark Souls isn't even hard at bare-minimum it's just moderate on the challenge difficulty.

Your ass has been too babied by modern games. Stop focusing on your deaths, learn enemy patterns, upgrade your shit steadily, and beat the game.
>>
>>329216308
yes, it's hard at the beginning. Play it the way it was meant to be played: undead burg -> taurus demon -> parish -> ...

Also explore thoroughly. Wandering is OK, suiciding by going to high-level areas too early is not.
>>
>>329216308
Why the fuck are you writing a novel of a game you spent 2 hours on?
>>
File: 1435643686078.jpg (32 KB, 312x285) Image search: [Google]
1435643686078.jpg
32 KB, 312x285
>>329216308
>taking the key on your first playthrough
>>
>>329216308
>but got obliterated thanks to how bad the game glitches and forces me to keep rolling until my stamina is gone
Stop mashing your dodge, the game uses a queue system so if you're mashing dodge like a spaz you're gonna roll 2-3 times before you regain control
>>
>>329217272
Why would you take anything else?
>>
I don't get the appeal of "I don't get the appeal of Dark Souls" threads
>>
>>329217329
The key was specifically put in the game for people who had already finished the game and wanted to get stronger gear early on.
>>
>>329216308
>I read online guides for this and took the Master Key before gitting gud.

You deserve what you got.
>>
>>329216308
>Someone took the time to type up this bait

This is fucking hilarious. Every day someone types up a whole paragraph about how shitty dark souls is because it's "too difficult" even though it's "challenging" at best. The souls games never even were about being difficult, they were about immersion and really not wanting your character to die. Games these days are so fucking boring and basically play themselves and that's why people say souls games are difficult.
>>
>>329217329

Opening doors in Dark Souls is not a good idea if you don't know shit about the game.
>>
>>329217329
Because your gift is irrelevant and it's not meant for first-time players.

The thing you didn't learn is to not be human in the Parish because of all the ganking twinks and hacked invaders.
>>
>>329217403
How the fuck would you know that?
>>
>>329216308
Sounds like the game's not your taste. You should've gone into the game blind with no expectations that /v/ would've given you. If you did manage to stay away from /v/'s Souls threads and it honestly doesn't interest you... leave it for now. Let it sit for a while and you might get the urge to go back again.

You'll probably get allot of hate from /v/'s git gud Soulsdrones, but they're just a little autistic. You can ignore there opinions.
>>
>>329217625

You might not know that, but anyone with a chunk of brain should realize quickly that it is a bad idea to blindly enter new places in dark souls, right at the beginning some undead dude throws a huge metal ball at you. Then when you open a door a huge demon appears and tries to wreck your shit.

Two huge hints.
>>
>>329217776
>You're supposed to know not to choose something based off something that happens after you start playing

Absolutely genius
>>
>>329217837

I never said that dude, stop excusing your stupidity.
>>
Just keep going, you went all the wrong ways first (except Graveyard) but Taurus is the correct way forward.

He's not that hard and you should get him second try, soon after that the game begins to open up and you get acsess to weapon upgrades and the layout of the world starts to become clear.
>>
>>329216308
What you lack OP is an imagination....and personality
>>
File: le disgusted glasses man.png (420 KB, 598x613) Image search: [Google]
le disgusted glasses man.png
420 KB, 598x613
>>329217919
>being this delusional
>>
File: 1449265362448.png (563 KB, 861x990) Image search: [Google]
1449265362448.png
563 KB, 861x990
>>329217919
>I never said that thing I just said
Do you actually read what you type, or do you just let it pour out of your ass?
>>
>>329216308
Good for you mate
>>
>>329216308
Dark Souls isn't going to play fair. You shouldn't either. Fight in such a way as to always give yourself the advantage. Archers killing you? Remember their location and kill them before taking on anyone else. Getting overrun by enemies? Draw them out and murder them one at a time. Taurus Demon is beating you to death? Run to one end of the bridge, let him chase you there, run past him to the other end of the bridge, climb the tower, jump off, and fall sword-first onto his head. Repeat as necessary.
>>
>>329216308
Well, the rest of the game is going to feel exactly like that. It's all bullshit. The game only teaches you by killing you off and going "lol didn't see that coming did you?" meanwhile all the fags here will be like "ermagerd git gud son" and "muh difficulty". DeS, DS1 and DS2 all share roughly the same amount of bullshit per minute being flung at you, with DeS being the worst offender. Bloodborne, on the other hand, has way smaller amount of bs/m and can actually be really enjoyable. Until you get to NG+. That's hell the first time around.
>>
>>329217329
Because it's not the old witches ring
If you don't make every first timer take the old witches ring you're doing it wrong
>>
File: image.jpg (373 KB, 1500x950) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
373 KB, 1500x950
>>329217060
This tbqh. Picked up dark souls recently after meaning to grab it years ago and the game is actually pretty easy. You can even grind for regular rpg experience points.

The ps2 GTA games are more difficult than dark souls.
>>
>tfw i can't explain why i like a game

for example i want to respond to this with something like "dark souls has satisfying, weighty combat in which you must carefully wait for an enemy to have an opening before you attack. if you miss, or if you time it improperly, there will be a cooldown period that leaves you vulnerable."

but this description fits games like dragon's dogma even though dragon's dogma's combat is significantly different.

help me bros.
>>
Anybody here considering importing DaSIII from Japan to get it like 20 days early? It's going to cost about $92 USD to get it here, which is like $140 of my NZ shekels, the game itself will be around $100 anyway. Thoughts?
>>
File: Idiots.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Idiots.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
>>329216308
>the game glitches and forces me to keep rolling until my stamina is gone
>>
File: 119298-bigthumbnail.jpg (19 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
119298-bigthumbnail.jpg
19 KB, 450x338
>>329220661
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.